Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GlasgowCeltic

i do agree on the decreased expectation point compared to other clubs, but I think the whole point of Levy sacking Poch for Jose was one final push with this team to win something now. If he leaves with a 2nd place finish a League Cup and a Uefa Cup he's a legend there. With Kane they should be aiming for the title though.

HowYouDoin

I agree with this. It's not that Jose changed but he just has players that better fits him. This has been the case with Jose over and over again. If the club buys into his ways, even if his signings can seem 'outdated', you will get the better version of him. Compared to disagreeing with him and having to deal with the passive aggressive Jose which eventually leads to meltdown Jose. At that point he will want nothing but to proof that had things gone as he planned he could have been more successful, even if it means belittling everybody around him and proofing it with failure with his 'not my team'. He only shows loyalty to those loyal to him.
But why would you get a manager and then not back him and align with his philosophy, vision and the culture he wants to instill?
Jose was told by us that basically everything about him is wrong.
We didnt want to buy the players he wanted cuz we didnt believe in his vision. And we basically told him as well thats the culture of the team, snapchatting at halftime, get with the programme old man.
Like we just wanted Jose to suck it up all the time and do what hes told etc.

Granted he is the worst possible manager for that kinda treatment but again, it wasnt him it was us.
He wanted to play a certain way with Perisic and Willian. We said no. He wanted to get rid of Pogba and Martial. We said no.
Whats the point of him or any manager for that manner if you will undercut them every step of the way? And we also told him to accept player power, thats how things are in modern times. Nonsense. When you look back it wasnt him it was us and we will end up getting rid of players he didnt like cuz they are not working out for us. He was right.

tomaldinho1

I agree with this. It's not that Jose changed but he just has players that better fits him. This has been the case with Jose over and over again. If the club buys into his ways, even if his signings can seem 'outdated', you will get the better version of him. Compared to disagreeing with him and having to deal with the passive aggressive Jose which eventually leads to meltdown Jose. At that point he will want nothing but to proof that had things gone as he planned he could have been more successful, even if it means belittling everybody around him and proofing it with failure with his 'not my team'. He only shows loyalty to those loyal to him.
Exactly and at Spurs there is no debilitating idea of the "united way'' and needing to play attacking football. He can setup how he likes and as long as the points keep coming in, everyone is happy. I still think they could be where they are but playing much more entertaining and attractive football given their squad is high quality but, as it stands, you can't really argue with Jose's pragmatism

PaulScholes99

The difference is because we were playing Man. City and you were playing West. Brom, yet even so it took a pen retake to get you through.
Tbh we have been quite bad against West Brom but still had a few big chances, expected goals was 2.43-0.44. Last game you played West Brom and played even worse than we did today and it took a goalkeeper error at the end of the game to get you through.

Guy Incognito

What do you mean he has nothing to lose?
His legacy is literally on the line. People wrote him off as a has been. You think that sits well with him?
But do you honestly think getting the sack at Spurs will prevent him from getting another job?

All it would mean is he is 'finished' in England. Inter or even Real would be happy for him to return there. And if he wants to manage Portugal who would stop him?

DRM

He's won titles and trophies at EVERY club he's managed, including the toxic wasteland that is United. Maybe, just maybe he was right about some of the things at our club, like Pogba, martial, etc. Sure, it turned bitter at the end but I think he knew it wasnt going anywhere and threw this toys out of the pram.

Maybe he did learn from that experience? This is an intelligent man after all (I mean he speaks 5 languages!!), so why can't he change? Perhaps these last few years were just a blip in his otherwise incredible 20 year career. Happens to the best of them, even Fergie ( 3 years without a title). This spurs team is typical mourinho. Maybe not the most exciting to watch, but solid defensively, high work rate and goals galore (helps having the best striker in the world mind). Spurs' aim this season has to be a trophy, surely! Whether they are genuine contenders for the league, lets see after the next set of games against chelsea, arsenal, liverpool and leicester. If they manage to get 9 pts or more from those fixtures....I think the title could very well be heading to the lane! Its just a pity he wasn't able to do this with us

RashyForPM

Why did Mourinho leave United in an absolute state?

Those sort of comparisons are stupid and useful only for point scoring online.

The true answers are far more nuanced, including new manager bounce, a manager finding a perfect team for his philosophy, a pandemic creating uncertainty and opportunity, plus the previous guy going stale after doing a very good job.
What a great reply. And tbh, I’m surprised @InLevyITrust would demean one of Spurs greatest ever managers just to prop up the current one who hasn’t even won anything yet.

cyberman

The difference is because we were playing Man. City and you were playing West. Brom, yet even so it took a pen retake to get you through.
And your game against West Brom an almighty 1 game day ago?
Not our fault their keeper broke the rules.

blemis

Supports
spurs
We would have kept him if he was as high as 10th, the club commited to giving Jose a chance to build a legacy he would have had to have overseen an unprecedented all time collapse for his job to have been in danger, and he did!

For all this talk of us sacking all these managers (whom all with the debatable exception of Ancelotti were 100% correct) there's not actually that many better equipped set ups than Chelsea if you're striving to create something as a manager, you get given a healthy transfer kitty and have access to one of the best academies in the world. Jose had he played his cards right could still be with us enjoying Salah and De Bruyne at the peak of their powers with Pulisic and Havertz ready made successors alongside the likes of James, Mount, CHO coming up through the academy ready to shape his next great squad. He could have had it all back with us but he just couldn't see past getting that title (in 2015) and getting it immediately no matter what the trade off was.

Jose is who he is and won't change, if there's a chance of winning the title this season he will push through to win it at ANY cost, I promise you.
I am tired with this Salah and De Bryune narrative. Will any coach pick Salah over prime Hazard ? Will any coach pick De Bryune over Prime Fabregas / Oscar ? No one will, especially when you are tasked with winning the league straight away. Roman Abramovich isn't the type of person who will listen to an excuse such as "I am building for the future so let me stay here for longer even if i didn't win anything". Jose Mourinho had no choice but to play the best available players there and deliver. I have no doubt Roman will sack Fat frank if he end this season trophyless.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Please also realise Spurs' objective this season is a solid top 4 place, not the league.
That means the board will be fully 100% behind him if he gets that and the fans will also be happy with that.
I think that gives him and the players more focus on trying to overachieve, it's Mourinho so he will not be happy if he wins nothing but he knows he can build on for next year to increase the players' hunger.

Also Spurs atm have TWICE the goals scored by Man City or Arsenal, thank god for Mourinho that Kane and Son are the only good forwards in the league.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Actually I find it kinda funny when I say he has 'adjusted to a modern footballer'
He sure as hell doesnt seem to have a problem with Kane or Son or anyone at Tottenham.
Might have just been Pogba. He has correctly identified a virus.

Now this is maybe a bit controversial but a part of it could be racial or cultural. If Pogba was a black American athlete any manager would need to kneel before him and obey. Thats the kind of culture we had at the time, the team was just very...americanised for the lack of a better term. Well clearly with the likes of Son, Kane, Sissoko etc its not a problem. Our culture just became too americanised and something no PL manager should tolerate, each player looking to be a brand name, being more about social media than anything, just americanised nonsense and when you think about it, it wasnt a modern footballer, it was just us. No other team. We fostered that bratty stupid american culture and then we blamed Mourinho for being out of touch.
It‘s not a typical American culture, as there have been several very successful American sports teams over the past decade who didn’t operate that way. The San Antonio Spurs, the Miami Heat or the Golden State Warriors are just a few teams to name who never placed one individual’s happiness and fit over that of the entire team.
With that being said, Pogba seems to be too much of a me-first guy and Mourinho rightfully found that out. The problem is, Mourinho’s way of handling it wasn’t right either.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
What a great reply. And tbh, I’m surprised @InLevyITrust would demean one of Spurs greatest ever managers just to prop up the current one who hasn’t even won anything yet.
How am I demeaning Poch? :lol:

Why did Mourinho leave United in an absolute state?

Those sort of comparisons are stupid and useful only for point scoring online.

The true answers are far more nuanced, including new manager bounce, a manager finding a perfect team for his philosophy, a pandemic creating uncertainty and opportunity, plus the previous guy going stale after doing a very good job.
Thats kind of my hat's my point. @Amadaeus on one hand is saying Jose got backed and Poch didn't but then saying they both have practically the same team. Poch was a good manager for us but his time was simply at an end.

cyberman

Bruno needed to score, Kane didn't in the end, he did great work in other areas.
Bruno was fantastic outside of the pen as well. Everything went through him and he should have had 2 assists with the chances he also created.
Kane tracked back in a monstrous team effort.
My original pont wasnt even confined to yesterday. Its been the running theme for months now.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Bruno was fantastic outside of the pen as well. Everything went through him and he should have had 2 assists with the chances he also created.
Kane tracked back in a monstrous team effort.
My original pont wasnt even confined to yesterday. Its been the running theme for months now.
Agree Bruno was great as well, but we shouldn't be relying on him to do absolutely everything. He will be dead on his feet again. We need a clinical striker, we need strikers who are constantly on the move to give options for a pass. Cavani is more that type.

cyberman

Agree Bruno was great as well, but we shouldn't be relying on him to do absolutely everything. He will be dead on his feet again. We need a clinical striker, we need strikers who are constantly on the move to give options for a pass. Cavani is more that type.
I totally agree and thats why i think VDB is vital as the season progresses but my point is it isnt reported that way. Bruno is above the team saving Ole while Jose is being lauded for getting the best out of Kane. Bruno is one goal behind him in the league as we stand while having a goal contribution per game for over 35(!) games for us.
On another note I really do think Bruno is a midfield version of Ronaldo. He will score or assit every game no matter how bad he plays and will have numbers at the end of the season that will make you think what the utter feck?

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
He's won titles and trophies at EVERY club he's managed, including the toxic wasteland that is United. Maybe, just maybe he was right about some of the things at our club, like Pogba, martial, etc. Sure, it turned bitter at the end but I think he knew it wasnt going anywhere and threw this toys out of the pram.

Maybe he did learn from that experience? This is an intelligent man after all (I mean he speaks 5 languages!!), so why can't he change? Perhaps these last few years were just a blip in his otherwise incredible 20 year career. Happens to the best of them, even Fergie ( 3 years without a title). This spurs team is typical mourinho. Maybe not the most exciting to watch, but solid defensively, high work rate and goals galore (helps having the best striker in the world mind). Spurs' aim this season has to be a trophy, surely! Whether they are genuine contenders for the league, lets see after the next set of games against chelsea, arsenal, liverpool and leicester. If they manage to get 9 pts or more from those fixtures....I think the title could very well be heading to the lane! Its just a pity he wasn't able to do this with us
1) It took most of us almost 3 years to understand this. 2-3 years back, most of us had better understanding of football than one of the best manager in the world.

2) It’s simple. The fan boys and the incompetent board didn’t let him do it with us.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Plus Bruno scored and Kane didnt ffs!
That's largely irrelevant. Kane assisted one goal, indirectly assisted the other and played a big part generally.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that the glowing media headlines have been about a player who is arguably the best in the world right now and played an an immense game yesterday

CM

Actually I find it kinda funny when I say he has 'adjusted to a modern footballer'
He sure as hell doesnt seem to have a problem with Kane or Son or anyone at Tottenham.
Might have just been Pogba. He has correctly identified a virus.

Now this is maybe a bit controversial but a part of it could be racial or cultural. If Pogba was a black American athlete any manager would need to kneel before him and obey. Thats the kind of culture we had at the time, the team was just very...americanised for the lack of a better term. Well clearly with the likes of Son, Kane, Sissoko etc its not a problem. Our culture just became too americanised and something no PL manager should tolerate, each player looking to be a brand name, being more about social media than anything, just americanised nonsense and when you think about it, it wasnt a modern footballer, it was just us. No other team. We fostered that bratty stupid american culture and then we blamed Mourinho for being out of touch.
This is revisionist nonsense. Spurs are doing well in a league where most of the top teams have started poorly. You can't fault them for that but that doesn't change history re Mourinho.

It wasn't just Pogba he took issue with. There was Mkhitaryan, Shaw and Martial among others - 2 of the 4 mentioned being his own signings, by the way. This Spurs team is maybe more suited to Mourinho's style but it's no coincidence that we went on a great run by virtue of him leaving either. He was dragging us down and it never would've worked for him here.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
No, I said this morning. The reports that assess their impact on the season. Theres plenty of them about if you want to look
You are actually surprised that Kane, arguably the best player in the world, has won the lion's share of media plaudits following his performances this season so far?

Were you also surprised to discover that the moon is not actually made of cheese?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I totally agree and thats why i think VDB is vital as the season progresses but my point is it isnt reported that way. Bruno is above the team saving Ole while Jose is being lauded for getting the best out of Kane. Bruno is one goal behind him in the league as we stand while having a goal contribution per game for over 35(!) games for us.
On another note I really do think Bruno is a midfield version of Ronaldo. He will score or assit every game no matter how bad he plays and will have numbers at the end of the season that will make you think what the utter feck?
I agree with Bruno and contributing even when his game is a bit off. I also agree he need VDB to help take some of the load off him.

Moonwalker

Well, straight from the horse's mouth - he claims that he has a better team at spurs than the one he had at United. One might ask him, how it came to be this way, after he spent half a billion euros on players at United, but I have no problem taking his word that it's true. It probably is a better squad and certainly a better fit.

Also, this prematurely talked about 'title challenge' will depend to a large extent on whether or not City or Liverpool continue to struggle as they have. If that remains the case, it's not just a lower points total to chase, but a significant psychological boon to everyone else including spurs.

Once you consider those two factors, they alone are enough to explain away why a title challenge might be possible, whereas previously it wasn't, without having to resort to fatuous interpretations like 'the game has passed him by'; 'football has moved on' and other such tripe that then necessitates further brilliant analysis like 'he has reinvented himself'; 'a new man!' etc.

Jose is still Jose. Still a cnut, and now that he has all but described himself as such, maybe his United days sycophants can stop taking exception to the rest of us calling him that. Still an excellent manager too, but also a flawed character, and he will deliver dour, reactive football with some regularity. If you're a spurs fan though, you obviously take it.

passing-wind

Spurs is the perfect club for him given his circumstances and the timing of his career currently under management. The lower expectations along with a very good squad is what's helping them to excel. I don't think Spurs have ever had a manager with a profile of being a winner to the extent that Jose has so the players will easily buy into his philosophy more.

We were concerned about attacking football, bringing youth through etc there was more limitations for the manager to jump through and be a success. Managers at this club have too much say over transfer therefore often make poor choices regarding recruitment. So though Spurs don't have wads of cash, they do have a better structure in the hierarchy compared to us using a DOF, therefore transfer have to be more conservative and carefully set in motion.

I'm unsure if they can win the league it's too early in the season but I do reckon they have a chance at silverware this season.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The last title challenge from Spurs ended not only with them losing out to Leicester but finishing third in a two horse race behind Arsenal. That’s some heritage for Jose to contend with because it is the Spurs way.

Apart from that they’re very capable of winning it this year and I’ll be happy for Mourinho if they do. We don’t have to worry about him making our club look stupid. We are a stupid club run by stupid people who let him be our manager while living in a hotel away from his family.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I am tired with this Salah and De Bryune narrative. Will any coach pick Salah over prime Hazard ? Will any coach pick De Bryune over Prime Fabregas / Oscar ? No one will, especially when you are tasked with winning the league straight away. Roman Abramovich isn't the type of person who will listen to an excuse such as "I am building for the future so let me stay here for longer even if i didn't win anything". Jose Mourinho had no choice but to play the best available players there and deliver. I have no doubt Roman will sack Fat frank if he end this season trophyless.
I don't think I've ever read so much rubbish in one paragraph.

De Bruyne was better than all his competition bar Hazard and Mata. Yes even then he was better than Oscar, Willian and certainly Schurrle (we were playing a fluid 3 behind the striker).

Salah and Hazard play on opposite flanks, you may aswell say "will any coach play Salah over Courtois".

You go on about our owner supposedly being ruthless when Levy is hardly known for his patience is he? Juande Ramos fired 8 games into a season when he delievered silverware for you the previous season, Redknapp sacked despite a top four finish, Pochettino sacked despite a CL final appearance months before and four consecutive top 4 finishes against clubs with bigger budgets, you think all off a sudden he will start being lenient on Jose? He hasn't appointed Mourinho and then gone onto back him more than any other previous manager only for him to match what Redknapp/Poch (top four) or Ramos (one league cup) did.

cyberman

You are actually surprised that Kane, arguably the best player in the world, has won the lion's share of media plaudits following his performances this season so far?

Were you also surprised to discover that the moon is not actually made of cheese?
You miss my point. Im not saying its undesevered, im saying one exceptional player is being held up as carrying his side since everything and goes through him is above Ole but Kane is having an even bigger impact at Spurs yet that is being framed as the manager getting the best out of him.
Its not that hard to conprehend. Ive said it about 3 times now.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
:lol::lol:

-----------------------------Lloris-----------------------------
Walker--Alderweireld--Vertonghen--Rose
--------------------Dier--------------Dembele--------------------
Eriksen------------------Ali------------------Son
----------------------------Kane----------------------------

with the likes of Trippier, Davies, Wanyama, Lamela on the bench

It shits on this current squad
Yes, Poch had the same players, but they were playing with a completely different ability level back in 2015-16.

• Debut season for Alderweireld after a miserable time at Atletico.
  • Debut season for Alli coming from MK dons.
  • Debut season for Son coming in from Neverkusen.
  • Kane had just finished his breakthrough season. Lot's of question marks over his ability back then - Can he do it again? Is he a one season wonder? etc.
  • Players like Lloris, Walker, Verts, Dembele, Lamela and Eriksen had been there for a few years before 2015 (and even Poch) and hadn't shown the level which they went on to show later on.
So Mou might have an almost similar squad which Poch had in 2015-16, but he is also reaping the fruits of the squad development which Poch achieved with the team in five years.

cyberman

That's largely irrelevant. Kane assisted one goal, indirectly assisted the other and played a big part generally.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that the glowing media headlines have been about a player who is arguably the best in the world right now and played an an immense game yesterday
Nothing to do with my point so... Ok?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Obvious jilted lover complex aside, I find it weird how many people are straight just saying "there's no way he wins the league". I mean, there is a huge chance they will win the league this year, even at this stage.
1. It's Tottenham
2. He's overplaying his best players.
3. It's Tottenham.