Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

romufc

All he wanted was two players who could go direct into the first team and lead/support the attack. And this would have also helped Rashford and Martial to develop into better players without much pressure on them.
He got Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba, Mikhi

Moonwalker

So many of the ‘crimes of Mourinho’ at Manchester United are actually deliberate agenda driven manipulations by MouOUTers who hated him from his first day.

1. Mourinho's media comment towards Pogba after he won the World Cup was perfectly reasonable. He simply asked for Pogba’s defensive discipline at United that he delivered for France. But Pogba Fanboys polluted the Internet with outrage that it was a slur on their toyboy, puffing Pogba’s ego to idiotic stratospheric levels. This led to a series of mental war games, with Mou even making Pogba vice captain as a plea to get his head sorted. In hindsight it’s clear Pogba was a disruptive virus, Mourinho was ahead of time and right to want him sold. If we’d listened to Mourinho then we’d have gained a profit off him and funded the other players he wanted.

2. Mourinho was also correct about Martial and Rashford not being good enough at no 9 and that they should be nuking it out for the left forward position. Again Martial could have been sold for massive whack and we could have used that money to buy a world class right side winger/forward. The cafe derided the likes of Perisec, but he seemed to be brilliantly well for Bayern last year winning the Champions League.

3. High quality centrebacks are normally aged 23+ and cost in excess of £50m. Mourinho also doesn’t like to develop young players. And yet he was imposed with Lindelof & Bailly, both unproven young centre backs costing £30m each. We didn’t give him the tools he requires for his system to work at champion levels. This was absurdly escalated in his final summer window when the board denied him a centre back like Maguire, only to sign Maguire 12 months later. The whole thing made no sense at all.

4. MouOUTer’s always melt down on Mourinho’s use of the word ‘heritage’ in his post Seville interview. Of course they deliberately ignore the fact that Mourinho used the word mistakenly, perhaps as his English isn’t pitch perfect. He clearly was looking for a word like ‘current equity’ or ‘current capability’. What he was trying to say was that the Manchester United he was leading wasn’t the same strong team it was 5 years ago, and so perhaps fans shouldn’t expect the same level of results. It was a perfectly reasonable point of view, even if the performance and result from that night wasn’t. But his critics jumped on the word ‘heritage’ as some kind of mortal insult and deliberately ignored the context to forward their agenda.

5. Mourinho said his 2nd place with 81 points was one of his big career achievements. We saw just how erratic and under resourced his squad was in the year that followed so he was telling the truth. And even now OGS is still crying out for another world class centre back and right winger, which is exactly what Mourinho wanted to build upon his 2nd place. Has Mourinho gotten those players along with Fred, I really think he would have gone very close to winning the title the following year. Lukaku has his weaknesses but he has proven since he left that if he is serviced in the right way, he can be a goal machine.

6. When Mourinho joined, we all thought he’d be allowed to be the football boss and could create a team in his image without interference. Little did he know that he would have to play 2nd fiddle to the board, ex player pundits, some egoistic players and even some of the fans, all thinking they knew better than he did.
In reality, Mourinho was the only proven winner at our club when he was with us, but neither our board nor some of our fans had the stomach, ruthlessness nor courage to do what it took to become winners with him. The board and fans backing Martial and Pogba’s against their manager is a prime example of this. Some fans complain that we have dropped our standards under Ole. That actually started under Mourinho, as he tried his very best to drag the club up to his standards but crazily Woodward and some of the fans base refused. Part of my enjoyment of watching OleOUTers complain is many of them are the same ones who wanted Mourinho out too.

I could go on and on. Of course I’d love Ole to win the league this year. I’d he can’t, I’d like Mourinho to do it, as a massive fcuk you to Woodward!
Virtually everything you wrote here is arrant nonsense, though some of it at least has comedic value.

To the extent that this 'under resourced' squad which he spent half a billion euros on, was bad (which it was) the guy sanctioning eleven deals should take at least some (if you wanna be charitable) of the blame for, but not in your book, it's everyone else's fault but Mourinho's.

The Pogba bit is hilarious. "It's clear he was a virus all along!". Remind us again who was it that bought this virus? Mourinho talked this guy up, sold a bill of goods to the club, and made them break the transfer record for him (even though he's got bad blood with us already) and then a year later he, without breaking stride, proclaims he is a virus. 'I'm tired of this toy I've talked up previously and now get me some new toys".

This idea that Victor Lindelof, a player he (Mourinho) brought from the Portuguese League, using his own scouting network was somehow 'imposed' on the manager, pretty much sums up the general stupidity of your reasoning.

He 'doesn't like to develop young players' :lol:
It's like when Bill Murray says "I don't play defense" in Space Jam. Any abnegation of responsibility is fine as long as the person just says he doesn't like it. Actually, despite your best efforts to defend the indefensible, Mourinho disagrees with you, whenever he brings up a list of facts that includes all the stellar youngsters he has brought through over the years (featuring Davide Santon et al.).

Lukaku's problem wasn't that he was 'not serviced enough' it was that he is a goal poacher, and Mourinho doesn't use poachers. He hoped for another Drogba, but Lukaku is not very similar to Drogba at all, despite the fact that it is who he idolised as a teenager. So that's another stupendous waste of money, thanks to the manager who demands ever more.

It's funny, it's not even just Mourinho. Virtually every manager does this spiel whenever they fail. Moyes didn't sign who he wanted to, neither did Van Gaal; Conte just isn't given enough money at Inter etc and so on. From their perspective, churning out this propaganda about it being everyone else's fault but theirs is understandable. It's being a 'clever cnut', protecting your reputation so as to get the next well payed job, but surely, not even in their wildest dreams do they expect some cretins to actually lap it all up, every last word of 'it's everyone else's fault but mine', but then as you prove, sometimes they just strike gold.

To contend that Mourinho played second fiddle to the board is naive at best, but to claim he played second fiddle to pundits and fans is farcically absurd. Thanks for making us laugh.

The amount of mental energy spent over who was right in terms of fan narratives is astounding. Hopefully at least on some level, you do realise that none of this stuff people write on an internet forum has any effect, whatsoever on any manager or the work they are actually doing.

Last edited:

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
He got Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba, Mikhi
He did use Lukaku a lot, but he was over weight.

Sanchez wanted to cancel his contract after his very first training session with United. Nothing more need say.

Pogba, really?

Mikhi was just not good enough or fit enough for a Jose team.

Jose wanted players who were ready to give everything for the team, players like Perisic. But unfortunately, Perisic wouldn’t have sold enough shirts for United.

He'sRaldo

Too much is being made of this run he's on. Even Ole, who many would agree is the inferior coach, has gone on a similar run to this.

As is always the case with Jose, we can only judge him at the very end, when the ups and downs have been experienced; only then can we say whether it was worth it for Spurs. It certainly wasn't for us, despite him technically being our best performing coach post SAF.

romufc

Sanchez wanted to cancel his contract after his very first training session with United. Nothing more need say.

Pogba, really?

Jose wanted players who were ready to give everything for the team, players like Perisic. But unfortunately, Perisic wouldn’t have sold enough shirts for United.
So who's fault is that? Jose signed them no?

Jose wanted to get rid of Martial for Perisic, the quoted fee was £50m.

Clearly, Jose failed at his transfers, why would you give more money to someone who signed players and then make excuses.

Who took training when Sanchez signed? Jose
Who was in charge when Lukaku was over weight? Jose
Who signed Mikhi? Jose

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think the point is it was United whom were finished, not Jose Mourinho although the media has brainwashed people to think otherwise.
It's hilarious to see Spurs fans going "Full Jose" at the moment. :lol:

Pogba, really?

selling shirts. Nice myth. It’s also clear we submitted significant offers for Perisic, brut wouldn’t (rightly) pay what they were demanding for a player of his age.

jose probably spent more than any other manager in the history of the game pro-rata over his time with us.

all the signings you mentioned were all Jose signings. The fact they didn’t work out has a lot to do with him.

Foxbatt

Sanchez didn't work along with Bailly and Mikhi. The rest worked for Jose until Pogba and Jose fell out. I would say even Mikhi worked to a certain extent. We only remember his last half a season. He did win the runners up spot and won us two cups. All in two and half seasons. In his first season he won the EL.
Yes he was and is toxic as anything but he was and still is a top coach.
Do I want him at United? No. But that's doesn't negate the fact that he is a much better coach than Ole.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Virtually everything you wrote here is arrant nonsense, though some of it at least has comedic value.

To the extent that this 'under resourced' squad which he spent half a billion euros on, was bad (which it was) the guy sanctioning eleven deals should take at least some (if you wanna be charitable) of the blame for, but not in your book, it's everyone else's fault but Mourinho's.

The Pogba bit is hilarious. "It's clear he was a virus all along!". Remind us again who was it that bought this virus? Mourinho talked this guy up, sold a bill of goods to the club, and made them break the transfer record for him (even though he's got bad blood with us already) and then a year later he, without breaking stride, proclaims he is a virus. 'I'm tired of this toy I've talked up previously and now get me some new toys".

This idea that Victor Lindelof, a player he (Mourinho) brought from the Portuguese League, using his own scouting network was somehow 'imposed' on the manager, pretty much sums up the general stupidity of your reasoning.

It's like when Bill Murray says "I don't play defense" in Space Jam. Any abnegation of responsibility is fine as long as the person just says he doesn't like it. Actually, despite your best efforts to defend the indefensible, Mourinho disagrees with you, whenever he brings up a list of facts that includes all the stellar youngsters he has brought through over the years (featuring Davide Santon et al.).

Lukaku's problem wasn't that he was 'not serviced enough' it was that he is a goal poacher, and Mourinho doesn't use poachers. He hoped for another Drogba, but Lukaku is not very similar to Drogba at all, despite the fact that it is who he idolised as a teenager. So that's another stupendous waste of money, thanks to the manager who demands ever more.

It's funny, it's not even just Mourinho. Virtually every manager does this spiel whenever they fail. Moyes didn't sign who he wanted to, neither did Van Gaal; Conte just isn't given enough money at Inter etc and so on. From their perspective, churning out this propaganda about it being everyone else's fault but theirs is understandable. It's being a 'clever cnut', protecting your reputation so as to get the next well payed job, but surely, not even in their wildest dreams do they expect some cretins to actually lap it all up, every last word of 'it's everyone else's fault but mine', but then as you prove, sometimes they just strike gold.

To contend that Mourinho played second fiddle to the board is naive at best, but to claim he played second fiddle to pundits and fans is farcically absurd. Thanks for making us laugh.

The amount of mental energy spent over who was right in terms of fan narratives is astounding. Hopefully at least on some level, you do realise that none of this stuff people write on an internet forum has any effect, whatsoever on any manager or the work they are actually doing.
Good post!
@sammsky1 The only point I will add to this is that Mourinho’s heritage speech was as bad as it has been made out. Everyone knows what heritage means. He could have easily said “United’s form in Europe in the last few years” instead of heritage.
English not being his 1st language doesn’t have anything to do with it. This guy’s English was good enough even 16 years ago to play mind games all the time, put pressure on referees and rivals, insult everyone he had a problem with, constantly remind everyone of all his successes, etc. but all the years later he didn’t know what heritage meant?! Never ever in a million years. He even brought up the games when he knocked us out all the years ago, he knew exactly what he was saying.

roonster09

Scout
About as hilarious as a bunch of Utd fans still obsessing over him!
Yeah, ManUtd fans talking about ex ManUtd manager on a ManUtd forum, where bunch of Spurs fans creaming their pants and rewriting history. What a hilarious thing to happen.

roonster09

Scout

Spot on.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, ManUtd fans talking about ex ManUtd manager on a ManUtd forum, where bunch of Spurs fans creaming their pants and rewriting history. What a hilarious thing to happen.
Emphasis on the EX bit! :p Not sure which Spurs fans are rewriting history - personally I couldnt give a stuff about what he did at other clubs, I only care what he does with Spurs.

roonster09

Scout
Emphasis on the EX bit! :p
Yeah, so?

It's actually hilarious that forum like caf where you have so many rival posters, ManUtd fans talking about ex ManUtd manager (who is a twat and makes cnutish comments now and then about the club) is called as obsessing :lol:

Wonder what's the word for rival club fans who talk about ManUtd players on Manutd forum then.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don't see anyone going full Jose? He's doing a good job and we are happy, what do you want us to do just sit and cry and weight for the meltdown? Odd way to support a club.

Again who is "creaming their pants"? And if you don't want opposition fans on "your forum" take it up with the Admin, I started a thread a long time ago most thought it was a good thing, you always come across with so much hostility.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
This is a Jose Mourinho thread Spurs fans show their appreciation for the manager because of the result this season. Man Utd fans are expecting 3rd season melt down next year. I guess we will find out next season.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I feel like everything has lined up nicely for him at Spurs. Most the coaching and squad are from Poch, he has just added grit and winning ugly to the mix. Whether or not he is successful At Spurs.. it’s hard to say but he is a winner.

Paul_Scholes18

This is a Jose Mourinho thread Spurs fans show their appreciation for the manager because of the result this season. Man Utd fans are expecting 3rd season melt down next year. I guess we will find out next season.
I think if he wins the league and then have a meltdown Spurs fans will be pretty happy.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I think if he wins the league and then have a meltdown Spurs fans will be pretty happy.
This probably applies to fans of any team other than City and Pool in the league. So far there is zero sign of him falling out with Levy, and he knows Spurs won't have much money to spent on transfer during pandemic. I doubt melt down will happen next season as long as he delivers top 4. There is no leak from the club trying to undermine him, and no ex player pundit telling him what he should do every weekend probably help.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Too much is being made of this run he's on. Even Ole, who many would agree is the inferior coach, has gone on a similar run to this.

As is always the case with Jose, we can only judge him at the very end, when the ups and downs have been experienced; only then can we say whether it was worth it for Spurs. It certainly wasn't for us, despite him technically being our best performing coach post SAF.
This made me chuckle. Inferior to a manager who has won leagues in four different countries? Yeah, I'd say so.

As everyone on here says, time will tell. Most on here can't wait for him to fail and the desire for schadenfreude is palpable. I like the guy, I think he's got a squad buying into his way of doing things and that's the requirement with him (and any other manager in world football). I would like for him to dispel the 3rd season syndrome narrative.

Irwin99

When was the last time Spurs won anything other than a league cup? As others have said I think their fans would take a Jose meltdown if he could give them a trophy or two. Poch and Levy did fantastic work but I think Jose could take them to next level. Maybe not Pl champions yet but a Europa League or FA cup and top 4 would be a great season for them.

Sylar

When was the last time Spurs won anything other than a league cup? As others have said I think their fans would take a Jose meltdown if he could give them a trophy or two. Poch and Levy did fantastic work but I think Jose could take them to next level. Maybe not Pl champions yet but a Europa League or FA cup and top 4 would be a great season for them.
They would and that's why Jose is a match for a mid level team that needs a push with established players rather than a top team who is on the down but needs to return to the top

The top players at spurs aren't great because of Jose but he can use them the right way to help the team and he can get away with his usual stuff for a team that is starving of success as opposed to a team who has been used to success in a certain way

blemis

Supports
spurs
It's a cycle. Going through the boom part now
It is amazing to see I agree. The unbridled optimism, the serene months of confidence before the shitstorm.
I can see why he went meltdown at Chelsea , Madrid and United. I don't see why it's going to happen at Spurs, even if he left he will leave us like he did at Porto or Inter.

blemis

Supports
spurs

So who's fault is that? Jose signed them no?

Jose wanted to get rid of Martial for Perisic, the quoted fee was £50m.

Clearly, Jose failed at his transfers, why would you give more money to someone who signed players and then make excuses.

Who took training when Sanchez signed? Jose
Who was in charge when Lukaku was over weight? Jose
Who signed Mikhi? Jose
You guys could see the players he bought at Spurs ( which has been rumored to be most of his first choice ) compared to the players he bought at United, it's pretty clear for me to see that the players he bought at United weren't really his first choice at all. He didn't really went after fancy or expensive players , except for maybe Sergio Reguilon , i don't think any of United fans would be interested in his signing at Spurs , Bale is 31 years old crook according to this forum here, and the rest were just mediocre premier players. Although he probably demanded more world class player at United considering how wealthy the club is.

roonster09

Scout
I can see why he went meltdown at Chelsea , Madrid and United. I don't see why it's going to happen at Spurs, even if he left he will leave us like he did at Porto or Inter.
Yeah we said same thing back in 2016

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Again Harrys comments? 4th time.
Again post it here. I m not sure what harry comments you are talking about. How can I respond to something, I have no clue about what you are referring to.
Yes, Poch had the same players, but they were playing with a completely different ability level back in 2015-16.

• Debut season for Alderweireld after a miserable time at Atletico.
  • Debut season for Alli coming from MK dons.
  • Debut season for Son coming in from Neverkusen.
  • Kane had just finished his breakthrough season. Lot's of question marks over his ability back then - Can he do it again? Is he a one season wonder? etc.
  • Players like Lloris, Walker, Verts, Dembele, Lamela and Eriksen had been there for a few years before 2015 (and even Poch) and hadn't shown the level which they went on to show later on.
So Mou might have an almost similar squad which Poch had in 2015-16, but he is also reaping the fruits of the squad development which Poch achieved with the team in five years.
Exactly. Moreover, there depth is much better now, so the current team is superior not only because of the point you listed, but also because the points i listed. It is crazy that some people don't see that.
How am I demeaning Poch? :lol:

Thats kind of my hat's my point. @Amadaeus on one hand is saying Jose got backed and Poch didn't but then saying they both have practically the same team. Poch was a good manager for us but his time was simply at an end.
Everyone with basic football knowledge would agree that poch didn't get backed. You are not making a reasonable argument and becoming a waste of Amadeus time. Watch this video and learn the truth. Of just look up historical data. If you actually backed Pochettino, you would have won the league and few more trophies. If Jose has the same limitations, he would whine and be a failure because he is heavily dependent on being backed by a board. At United his spending was ridiculous and at a club like spurs his spending is and will also be ridiculous for a club at that level

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Again post it here. I m not sure what harry comments you are talking about. How can I respond to something, I have no clue about what you are referring to.

Exactly. Moreover, there depth is much better now, so the current team is superior not only because of the point you listed, but also because the points i listed. It is crazy that some people don't see that.

Everyone with basic football knowledge would agree that poch didn't get backed. You are not making a reasonable argument and becoming a waste of Amadeus time. Watch this video and learn the truth. Of just look up historical data. If you actually backed Pochettino, you would have won the league and few more trophies. If Jose has the same limitations, he would whine and be a failure because he is heavily dependent on being backed by a board. At United his spending was ridiculous and at a club like spurs his spending is and will also be ridiculous for a club at that level
Poch joined Spurs knowing he wouldn't get backed! Levy was pretty clear funds were needed for the stadium.... When it was complete he broke the transfer record twice for him.

Poch had a good enough team to win something and he didn't, plain and simple.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Poch joined Spurs knowing he wouldn't get backed! Levy was pretty clear funds were needed for the stadium.... When it was complete he broke the transfer record twice for him.

Poch had a good enough team to win something and he didn't, plain and simple.
Poch didnt join spurs knowing he won't get backed as much as the like of West ham, Everton and few other mid or low level teams. That definitely surprised him especially after the accomplishments he made as pointed out in the video. After getting into the champion league and the champion league final, you would think the board will say, here you go lad, have a warchest of unlimited fund and make sure you continue playing at such a high level. Instead, he was told to keep doing magic while his other top four competitors massively outspend him. As bielsa stated and many other football pundits recognized, mourinho only accepted the spurs job because of the outstanding work Pochettino did and without that, mourinho wouldn't have even considered spurs.

As stated before, breaking spurs record is meaningless because they weren't big spenders. A record broken at spurs at that time was about the same price we payed for Fred. Pochettino consistently got in the champion league, challenged for the title, made spurs a big club, and went into the champion league final. That is as good as winning thing, especially at a club at Spurs level before. If the board backed Pochettino, he would have won multiple trophies. Could you imagine Bruno at spurs under poch? Bruno is singlehandedly saving Ole jobs, so being backed matters a lot and is the difference between winning things and not.

cyberman

Well the lepoard wont eat MY face..

Judas

Open to offers
Just so weirdly naive. Imagine after all this time, all the examples, and not expecting a Jose meltdown. It will happen. I said from the start I expect him to win you trophies, but it will end how it always does. I knew it would when we hired him, and I still wanted him, it's part of the package.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Poch didnt join spurs knowing he won't get backed as much as the like of West ham, Everton and few other mid or low level teams. That definitely surprised him especially after the accomplishments he made as pointed out in the video. After getting into the champion league and the champion league final, you would think the board will say, here you go lad, have a warchest of unlimited fund and make sure you continue playing at such a high level. Instead, he was told to keep doing magic while his other top four competitors massively outspend him. As bielsa stated and many other football pundits recognized, mourinho only accepted the spurs job because of the outstanding work Pochettino did and without that, mourinho wouldn't have even considered spurs.

As stated before, breaking spurs record is meaningless because they weren't big spenders. A record broken at spurs at that time was about the same price we payed for Fred. Pochettino consistently got in the champion league, challenged for the title, made spurs a big club, and went into the champion league final. That is as good as winning thing, especially at a club at Spurs level before. If the board backed Pochettino, he would have won multiple trophies. Could you imagine Bruno at spurs under poch? Bruno is singlehandedly saving Ole jobs, so being backed matters a lot and is the difference between winning things and not.
You are totally ignoring how we got to said final, it certainly wasn't tactics, against City it was a refereeing decision and Ajax wonder play from Lucas. I can give the pros and cons of Poch and again I loved the guy, you just spout what ifs and maybes not giving any criticism to Poch, its infantile.

R'hllor

You are totally ignoring how we got to said final, it certainly wasn't tactics, against City it was a refereeing decision and Ajax wonder play from Lucas. I can give the pros and cons of Poch and again I loved the guy, you just spout what ifs and maybes not giving any criticism to Poch, its infantile.
I thoo vs Ajax was his decision to get Liorente up, Ajax back line couldnt adapt to it, maybe i am wrong and dont remember it well.

Smores

Just so weirdly naive. Imagine after all this time, all the examples, and not expecting a Jose meltdown. It will happen. I said from the start I expect him to win you trophies, but it will end how it always does. I knew it would when we hired him, and I still wanted him, it's part of the package.
I mean he's going to get sacked by Spurs at some point and before it happens he'll throw a wobbly because he's a bad loser. That much is certain.

However I think the point about Porto and Inter is quite valid. He throws his toys out when expectations build and he under delivers, expectations at Spurs aren't going to go that high.

I mean he's going to get sacked by Spurs at some point and before it happens he'll throw a wobbly because he's a bad loser. That much is certain.

However I think the point about Porto and Inter is quite valid. He throws his toys out when expectations build and he under delivers, expectations at Spurs aren't going to go that high.
I don’t think it’s even that. I think Jose is great at taking a good side and making them better. But he can’t sustain it, and he can’t build a team.

That’s when he fails, after his initial impact, energy and momentum start to decrease. He’s always been a short term manager. That’s where we got it wrong, we thought we could change him into a manager who could do it for 4,5,6+ years.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
You've realize by now how much Jose is hated in this forum. These never liked him before, during or after he managed their team. Deep down I guess that Costinha goal and, especially, that great Chelsea side who schooled everyone in England. Haters will bring their pedantic reasons (but jose's 3rd season, or, he just parks the bus!) and justify their grudge but the feeling will never change, even if he wins the PL with Spurs.