Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Chelsea or Liverpool will win the League. If it was 5/10 years ago playing like this in the big games I would say they had a good chance to win, this days there’s more quality around.

I am not one of those who thinks there’s only one right way to play, for every Bielsa there’s one Mourinho.

Do I like to watch? No, reason why I didn’t followed the game and already knew the script before it started.

With this I don’t make critics to Spurs fans who want to win titles. It’s legitimate to win even if this days is more difficult for defensive type of teams to win domestic leagues, maybe they are more suited to win cups, let’s see.
Really don't see Chelsea winning it. They have a lot of talent but they're not a great team.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Really don't see Chelsea winning it. They have a lot of talent but they're not a great team.
Tbh I am not a great fan of Lampard. If I had to make a prediction who will be the best English coach around the next years is Steven Gerrard. I am impressed with the way he developed Rangers as a team. He certainly has more ideas than Lampard. But still Chelsea has a lot of quality despite Lampard, don't trust Guardiola at this point, and Liverpool without Van Dijk remains to be seen. Spurs maybe a domestic cup or the Europa League, who knows.

Member 90887

I'd imagine they prefer it to being thrashed 1 - 6 at home.
Happened even when we were winning the league. I don't mind the one-offs when you have cheaters like Lamela playing against you, a manager lacking class that encourages it and an incompetent ref... Our players were naive. We trashed you plenty before with 11 vs 11.

Let's see where that boring defensive football gets you at the end of the year. I understand the desperation though, when your last league title was in 61...

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... Let's see where that boring defensive football gets you at the end of the year. ...
Only you will know how your mental contortions manage to square "boring defensive football " with Spurs having scored only 1 fewer goal than Liverpool (and 5 more than United).

cyberman

Only you will know how your mental contortions manage to square "boring defensive football " with Spurs having scored only 1 fewer goal than Liverpool (and 5 more than United).
I just looked, it is just 5 goals difference and thats after scoring 6 in 1 game.
Thats not something to point out.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I just looked, it is just 5 goals difference and thats after scoring 6 in 1 game.
Sorry are you suggesting the goals scored in a 6-1 victory shouldn't really count? Is this a 'fake news' type argument?

acnumber9

Sorry are you suggesting the goals scored in a 6-1 victory shouldn't really count? Is this a 'fake news' type argument?
It’s an outlier that signifies pointing out goals scored isn’t evidence of regular exciting football. Ultimately I doubt Spurs fans will give a shit if dull football wins them the league. But you shouldn’t be surprised if other watchers find it boring.

cyberman

Its a 1 game swing. Pointing out you have scored more goals stemming from 1 game in 10 doesnt refute the argument that Jose is playing too safe. All it means is that you scored 6 in 1 match.
Kane has gone from someone who was unstoppable to scoring 2 goals in 5 and playing as a DM. Itll catch up on you.
You even played a game more!

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It's also after having scored 5 in another game. Perhaps you'd like to also remove that from the equation, as it's similarly inconvenient to the "defensive football" picture you want to paint.

So, once you've removed 2 inconvenient games - 20% of the statistical base so far - you're solid.

But why stop there? I'm sure that, with a little more juggling, you can prove that Spurs are not actually at the top of the table.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Its a 1 game swing. Pointing out you have scored more goals stemming from 1 game in 10 doesnt refute the argument that Jose is playing too safe. All it means is that you scored 6 in 1 match.
Kane has gone from someone who was unstoppable to scoring 2 goals in 5 and playing as a DM. Itll catch up on you.
Feck sake :lol:, took about losing credibility.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ok but even if you ignore that match - we are comparable to the other top teams in terms of goal difference. So if we are dull, boring and lacking in creativity then so are all the other teams.

cyberman

It's also after having scored 5 in another game. Perhaps you'd like to also remove that from the equation, as it's similarly inconvenient to the "defensive football" picture you want to paint.

So, once you've removed 2 inconvenient games - 20% of the statistical base so far - you're solid.

But why stop there? I'm sure that, with a little more juggling, you can prove that Spurs are not actually at the top of the table.
So you stat padded in 2 games and thats the point you're willing to make?
So goals scored isnt an indication of attacking play since you have 10 goals scored in the other 8.
So, by using your logic, Jose didnt set out offensively in those 8 games since goals are clearly the proof of attacking intent.
Using your logic of course.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
A post as relevant now as it was in 2016.
Unlike during his time at United, Mourinho's time with Spurs has not been a circus. On the contrary, it has been generally harmonious. So perhaps you should look a little closer at the inner workings of United as a club to explain why.

As for the Europa League, this relates to league finishes last season ... but Mourinho only arrived at Spurs mid-season.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
So you stat padded in 2 games and thats the point you're willing to make?
So goals scored isnt an indication of attacking play since you have 10 goals scored in the other 8.
So, by using your logic, Jose didnt set out offensively in those 8 games since goals are clearly the proof of attacking intent.
Using your logic of course.
Citing two games in which scored a combined 11 goals is now "stat padding"? And goals scored "isn't a indication of attacking play"? Next you'll be telling us that Kane is a defensive midfielder.

PS. Remove California and New York from the election results and - hey presto - Trump will be the next President. Except he won't be.

cyberman

Citing two games in which scored a combined 11 goals is now "stat padding"? And goals scored "isn't a indication of attacking play"? Next you'll be telling us that Kane is a defensive midfielder.

PS. Remove California and New York from the election results and - hey presto - Trump will be the next President. Except he won't be.
Because 2 games doesnt encompass his entire approach over 10 games and counting Glaston.
I am literally using your logic here. 10 goals in 8 games means he didnt set out offensively if goals scored is the barometer here.
Or is it all bullshit?
Using your Trump shitpost its like Donald pointing at two states and saying he won ignoring the returns in others.
But we won the popular vote!!!! - democrats 2016

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Because 2 games doesnt encompass his entire approach over 10 games and counting Glaston.
I am literally using your logic here. 10 goals in 8 games means he didnt set out offensively if goals scored is the barometer here.
Or is it all bullshit?
Using your Trump shitpost its like Donald pointing at two states and saying he won ignoring the returns in others.
But we won the popular vote!!!! - democrats 2016
True. And by the same token, pointing to our last 2 games - against City and Chelsea - doesn't encompass the entire approach over 10 games. And in any case, counter-attacking football is not the same thing as defensive football.

The point is that trying to paint Spurs as a defensive football team is wrong. In some games we've played attacking football and in some we've played counter-attacking football.

cyberman

True. And by the same token, pointing to our last 2 games - against City and Chelsea - doesn't encompass the entire approach over 10 games. And in any case, counter-attacking football is not the same thing as defensive football.

The point is that trying to paint Spurs as a defensive football team is wrong. In some games we've played attacking football and in some we've played counter-attacking football.
Where have I just pointed to City and Chelsea?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Where have I just pointed to City and Chelsea?
I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm talking about the cherry-picking of games generally in order to try and prove a point, whilst ignoring the games against United, S'hampton, Newcastle, W.Ham and others.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I wouldn't get too excited by a few big wins under Jose.

We scored 21 goals and had 19 points out of 21 in the first 7 games of his second season.

The crap football will show up soon enough.

cyberman

I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm talking about the cherry-picking of games generally in order to try and prove a point, whilst ignoring the games against United, S'hampton, Newcastle, W.Ham and others.
Look, I dont think Jose has been that defensive so far but a lot of the reasoning of having Kane drop back and play off of Son is so you can keep a discliplined shape. Its just obvious to me that itll tire your front 2 out and youll lose your bite because of it.
Kane is already on 2 goals in his last 5 and isnt getting many chances around the box on top of that, if he even gets in the box.
Those 2 Chelsea performances will start to seep into lesser games where you dont want to give anything away and he knows Kane and Son will get 1 or 2 chances in a game and he trusts those 2 to finish them.

3KDré

We scored 21 goals and had 19 points out of 21 in the first 7 games of his second season.

I think once the season goes on their schedule will take it’s toll. A big injury or two...the meltdown is inevitable. Same as with us.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not really sure why this argument of Mou playing great football vs not is needed, you did for a while this season but now you ain't it's that simple. You were playing open/good football in those games you mentioned but since the disaster last 10 minutes in the latter of those Mou has shut up shop more and started playing more cautious.

He always does that after a big setback, with us it was the same, some really good football for a few months but as soon as we lost 5-3 at your place it was back to basics.

acnumber9

Unlike during his time at United, Mourinho's time with Spurs has not been a circus. On the contrary, it has been generally harmonious. So perhaps you should look a little closer at the inner workings of United as a club to explain why.

As for the Europa League, this relates to league finishes last season ... but Mourinho only arrived at Spurs mid-season.
It’s early days. I’m not sure Dele Alli would agree with you. Though of course less people care about Spurs so you hear less stories about them.

Well, as for your snide remark in 2016, Mourinho didn’t even have the benefit of over half a season not to qualify for the Europa League prior to that.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto

Yeah I don't think Spurs will manage to accept themselves ending up with 81 points.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Not really sure why this argument of Mou playing great football vs not is needed, you did for a while this season but now you ain't it's that simple. You were playing open/good football in those games you mentioned but since the disaster last 10 minutes in the latter of those Mou has shut up shop more and started playing more cautious.

He always does that after a big setback, with us it was the same, some really good football for a few months but as soon as we lost 5-3 at your place it was back to basics.
The last 2 games have been against tough opposition. It's simply not good tactics to try and play attacking football against City - and the same applies to a lesser extent when playing away to Chelsea.

Will we play the same way against Arsenal or C. Palace in Game Weeks 11 and 12? No, we will mostly play a mixture of attack and counter-attack.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It’s early days. I’m not sure Dele Alli would agree with you. Though of course less people care about Spurs so you hear less stories about them.

Well, as for your snide remark in 2016, Mourinho didn’t even have the benefit of over half a season not to qualify for the Europa League prior to that.
You will probably find most Spurs fans don't really care what Dele thinks.

zenith

Jose is such a pool of toxicity. Makes me wanna puke that he was ever our manager. His attitude is disgusting.

Without a doubt he will bring the same toxic nature whenever he goes. I'm quite going to enjoy the view as he eventually goes about completely dismantling everything spurs fans cherish about their club.

OleBoiii

His team's xG was 0.0 in the first half against Chelsea. That's pretty embarrassing when you have the best attack in the league(imo).

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The last 2 games have been against tough opposition. It's simply not good tactics to try and play attacking football against City - and the same applies to a lesser extent when playing away to Chelsea.

Will we play the same way against Arsenal or C. Palace in Game Weeks 11 and 12? No, we will mostly play a mixture of attack and counter-attack.
But you also played cautious against three relegation threatened teams beforehand, the end of the West Ham game has put pay to any chance of Mou throwing caution to the wind again with Spurs. In the short term it's not nesseserily a bad thing and may even get you the title but eventually the results will go south and with it players willingness to play like that, it's one thing convincing Kane, Son etc al to play that way with a chance of their first major trophy at the end of it, getting them to buy into it for the duration of their prime years however is another matter entirely.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Happened even when we were winning the league. I don't mind the one-offs when you have cheaters like Lamela playing against you, a manager lacking class that encourages it and an incompetent ref... Our players were naive. We trashed you plenty before with 11 vs 11.

Let's see where that boring defensive football gets you at the end of the year. I understand the desperation though, when your last league title was in 61...
You are conveniently forgetting the 6-1 scoreline.
Come on. Let's at least give the guy some credit.
I for one am pleased to see the old, out of touch dinosaur still has something to smile about.

TheRedHearted

Jose is such a pool of toxicity. Makes me wanna puke that he was ever our manager. His attitude is disgusting.

Without a doubt he will bring the same toxic nature whenever he goes. I'm quite going to enjoy the view as he eventually goes about completely dismantling everything spurs fans cherish about their club.
The one variable here is Levy. Think he pulled him in knowing the manager needs a strong management of his own. He may be able to influence him in ways Woodward wouldn’t have even dreamt of

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They started the season off very well, but in the last 5 games their attacking form has dropped down a level, to the point where they're now starting to really struggle to get shots on target. Only a matter of time before their luck runs out and they drop points on a regular basis imo. Don't really blame Jose playing his usual Jose football, it gets him results even if its dull as shite.
Opponent​
Shots​
Shots on Target​
Goals​
Everton (H)​
9​
5​
0​
Southampton (A)​
9​
6​
5​
Newcastle (H)​
23​
12​
1​
United (A)​
22​
8​
6​
West Ham (H)​
11​
6​
3​
Burnley (A)​
9​
3​
1​
Brighton (H)​
9​
3​
2​
West Brom (A)​
19​
5​
1​
City (H)​
4​
2​
2​
Chelsea (A)​
5​
1​
0​

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not really the matter at hand though. Lots of United fans didn’t care what Pogba thought either.
Whats the matter at hand? Dele got a free ride for about 2 season, constantly picked, constantly under preformed, needed dropped. Ndombele the same, except he has came back a different player and all praise for him.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
His team's xG was 0.0 in the first half against Chelsea. That's pretty embarrassing when you have the best attack in the league(imo).
A draw away to Chelsea is not embarrassing, nor is regaining top spot as a result.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
They started the season off very well, but in the last 5 games their attacking form has dropped down a level, to the point where they're now starting to really struggle to get shots on target. Only a matter of time before their luck runs out and they drop points on a regular basis imo. Don't really blame Jose playing his usual Jose football, it gets him results even if its dull as shite.
Opponent​
Shots​
Shots on Target​
Goals​
Everton (H)​
9​
5​
0​
Southampton (A)​
9​
6​
5​
Newcastle (H)​
23​
12​
1​
United (A)​
22​
8​
6​
West Ham (H)​
11​
6​
3​
Burnley (A)​
9​
3​
1​
Brighton (H)​
9​
3​
2​
West Brom (A)​
19​
5​

1​
City (H)​
4​
2​
2​
Chelsea (A)​
5​
1​
0​
What luck? How were we lucky against City or Chelsea? Again I'm not finding the football any duller than under Poch? A lot of stat work here and very little actual watching. Its the same shite, 2 games ago it was "the next 5 games are a test" nearly half way through the games and its now "they are lucky and boring", constant goal post shifting.

OleBoiii

A draw away to Chelsea is not embarrassing, nor is regaining top spot as a result.
You'd think he was facing Pep's Barcelona based on that post. To not even try to attack against a Chelsea team that's far from great in an empty stadium, when you have Son and Kane, is just shite.