Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fps

in any case, his new manager bounce didn’t last long.
Absolutely, they were very flat. Replacing Eriksen is going to be very difficult he is their only midfielder who has shown he is truly creative and intelligent when it comes to the game.

Manny

Grammar Police
That looked like a Jose team - clueless, overthinking, anxious, relying on a special moment from a player

Classical Mechanic

The absence of Spurs's fans in this thread is indicative of a dawning realisation of what they're in for. This performance was no aberration, those that have suffered under Mourinho have lived through those cowardly away performances countless times.

Manny

Grammar Police
He showed up at Old Trafford with his usual tactical approach. He looked at United and thought 'how do I stop them from playing the game they want to play' and probably thought to himself, ah yes, I'll have a deep block to stop Rashford from having room to run through and then hit them on the counter.

He then went on to fail for the exact reason he failed with United. He didn't bother to play to his own team's strength - rather focused on stopping the oppositions. Had he set up Spurs to press high and dominate possession in our half we would have been fecked. Ali, Son, Harry, and Erikson are lethal players around the box. They don't need to play on the counter.
I agree. The Spurs defence was terrified of Rashford and I can imagine Jose asserting his insight in training and banging on about how dangerous rashford is to the point where that was all the focus.

Fracture90

That's a nice possession based game you got there Spurs…

…it would be a shame if someone bin it in favor of hoofball style :devil:

Castia

Honeymoon period over in less than 2 weeks.

I said at the time this is a terrible appointment and I’m sure this will turn out to be a disaster for Spurs. Jose isn’t the same manager anymore, best case scenario he wins a b grade cup but in the process completely fecks up the squad harmony and gets fired within 2 years.....probably putting you back 3 years in the process.

Red_Beans

i have nothing against the man and i have a few good memories of his time with us. That being said, i am glad he is no longer our manager. Good luck Spurs, he is your problem now :)

Djemba-Djemba

It was nice to beat him yesterday for a number of reasons but one of them was that ever since Mourinho lost whatever it was that made him special it felt like we were the only team not able to cash in and beat him.

The season he completely imploded at Chelsea he was sacked before we got to play them, then he was our manager for 2 and a half years. So last night was the first time Utd got to face the new diminished Mourinho.

Bwuk

I found it really strange that when he was a pundit he basically said if you have men behind the ball United aren’t good enough to break you down, but he didn’t set up that way at all.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Not a surprising result, I was actually expecting a 2-2 kind of result. Spurs have been defending poorly and they only won those 3-2 matches mainly because time's up. A few more minutes and the other teams would be equalizing as sure as my name is André.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Then play with freedom. Instead he shat the bed, played defensively and hoped individual brilliance would pull him out of the shit. Exactly the same crap he was serving up for us for 3 seasons.

Sorry but it was a typical Jose performance.
It was away at Old Trafford. Despite what many on here think, it's still an incredibly hard game for the top sides. City are the only side I can remember going there and winning comfortably. Spurs won 3-0 last season but it was a fluke score, United should have been 2-0 up, Lukaku missed a couple of big chances if I remember correctly. Most of the big sides struggle at OT. Bar that game, only City out of the top sides have won at OT in years. Expecting Jose to try and go open attacking away at Old Trafford would be moronic considering United's main strength is in countering. Chelsea tried it on the first day of the season and we seen how that went. He's 3 games into his reign, we've learnt nothing so far, except that Alli has improved loads.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I found it really strange that when he was a pundit he basically said if you have men behind the ball United aren’t good enough to break you down, but he didn’t set up that way at all.
We scored very early in the game, I think it was 6th min when Rashford scored, maybe that's the reason.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The absence of Spurs's fans in this thread is indicative of a dawning realisation of what they're in for. This performance was no aberration, those that have suffered under Mourinho have lived through those cowardly away performances countless times.
I've been busy since the match so havent had the chance to comment on it. I don't blame Jose for the performance last night - his team selection was not right in my opinion but it is clear that the players look like they still are suffering from a lack of belief and confidence which is understandable given how dreadful we have been for the last year. Jose has a lot of work to do here and I think we will need a squad refresh as soon as possible. I think he will get us working much better eventually - although we have got good results apart from last night since he came in we have not really been very good when you look at the performances.

DoomSlayer

I've been busy since the match so havent had the chance to comment on it. I don't blame Jose for the performance last night - his team selection was not right in my opinion but it is clear that the players look like they still are suffering from a lack of belief and confidence which is understandable given how dreadful we have been for the last year. Jose has a lot of work to do here and I think we will need a squad refresh as soon as possible. I think he will get us working much better eventually - although we have got good results apart from last night since he came in we have not really been very good when you look at the performances.
You can have Matic in January for that squad rebuild, mate. We'd happily do a straight swap for Eriksen in that case.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Even just going off of their starting 11 it was clear Spurs wanted to attack us.
I think their team pick itself except midfield. Also Rose instead of Vertonghen would have meant it's not defensive.

I don't think line up was attacking or defensive, it's just how they were deep and couldn't string passes.

Before the game was settled into particular style, Rashford scored, which probably changed their approach.

that’s the icing on the cake - not seen that Glaston poster for weeks!!

Too early to make any judgements on Jose, especially as this is the first time he’s ever taken over a team mid season.

However, I can’t see that he’s changed - very charming, engaging, and professional at the start. We all know how the story will end... I had hoped he would be different at Utd, but he wasn’t. My spurs friends have largely been sucked in.

I wonder how much he’s actually earned in his career from being sacked? Payouts from Real, Chelsea (twice) and Utd - region of £50m?!

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
I thought a year at home would have Jose thinkibg about his style of football, learning, adapting and trying to go forward with the game.

Yet here he came yesterday and had his team playing exactly the same hoofball we played for 2.5 years under him. Jose really is a has been isnt he? He'll probably win a cup with Spurs, and bring in a few 30+ year old players and than leave for PSG or the italian league

Djemba-Djemba

that’s the icing on the cake - not seen that Glaston poster for weeks!!

Too early to make any judgements on Jose, especially as this is the first time he’s ever taken over a team mid season.

However, I can’t see that he’s changed - very charming, engaging, and professional at the start. We all know how the story will end... I had hoped he would be different at Utd, but he wasn’t. My spurs friends have largely been sucked in.

I wonder how much he’s actually earned in his career from being sacked? Payouts from Real, Chelsea (twice) and Utd - region of £50m?!
Did what he always does after Utd beat Spurs, makes one post in the matchday thread after the final whistle, then he goes missing until Spurs win again.

Siorac

Hasn't changed one bit. Bitter, past it, fool!
He's not wrong there though. And I don't think he's implying it's somehow bad to play defensively - that would be the hypocrisy of the century coming from him, obviously.

MDFC Manager

He's not wrong there though. And I don't think he's implying it's somehow bad to play defensively - that would be the hypocrisy of the century coming from him, obviously.
I don't know if he's right or wrong, but it's certainly a dig at us - about the complaints about him not being attacking enough during his tenure.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Very curious to see what he'll do in January and in the summer, how far can Levy go to support him ?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Very curious to see what he'll do in January and in the summer, how far can Levy go to support him ?
Like at United he will finish outside the top four this season then he'll somewhat overachieve next season (second season) by getting 4th with a squad that should be 7th by right. They will have a massive peak for a couple of months around this time next year as 12-14 months in is always the peak for Jose sides, mainly due to a combination of the players fully getting to grips with his methods but it also being too early to burn out through them, January onwards performances will dip but they'll grind out 4th then the third season it will all go wrong.

That's the basic outline and I'd be amazed if it shifted far from that in reality.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Think Spurs have a real chance in the CL this season.

Everything aligns almost perfectly with the type of squad Jose likes to work with and one he's good at getting success out of.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Think Spurs have a real chance in the CL this season.

Everything aligns almost perfectly with the type of squad Jose likes to work with and one he's good at getting success out of.
Do they feck! They won't get close.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They're knocking plenty of goals past fodder teams but they always did that under Pochettino until last six months. Can remember them beating likes of Stoke by ridiculous scores every season when they were in the prem and Stoke would regularly take points off the other top teams.

Their performance at Man. United was utterly dismal (although of course Man. United out of nowhere suddenly look a pretty good team) so those are sort of matches you really need to judge him.

There next three are Bayern Munich away, Wolves away and Chelsea at home who are having a little wobble so that will be good test to see if he's properly improved mentality of the team.