Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's not about the money available. It was how he was perceiving the situation. He was basically complaining about lack of ambition from the board and players atittude, and the more he b*tched about it, the more the team falled apart.
But that's the problem, money is a pretty indicator and it goes against that alleged perception. The board wouldn't have increased the wage bill by +100m and spent +300m on new player if winning trophies wasn't a priority, as for players' attitude it was his job to handle it. So I don't understand how you understand his meltdown, there is no reasonable excuse for it.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Fellaini went to China for the wedge. There's no way Levy will offer anything close to what he's earning over there. This is surely not happening.

I can see him signing Matic in January. He's not part of our plans & we don't know how to negotiate transfers, which Jose will well know. We'd probably let him go for a song. He's also 1 of Jose's favorites & he tends to start well initially at a new club.
Fellaini went to China for his retirement payday. Matic im not so sure on either, Jose will re-purpose Dier into Matic's role.

Spurs need to sort out their defense, who is staying who is going, this should be a key priority for Jose. But to be fair, they should have done this for Pochettino, players are not on board with the Poch project, out the door you go. I remember seeing an article about Levy saying he couldnt find buyers. You drop your asking price far enough, you will find buyers I guarantee.

Midfield I think they have an ok mix of players, DM(Dier), technician(Winks), b2b(Sissoko, Ndombele), it's all there, just not clicking yet. Their attack is great, Kane, Son, Moura, Alli, with Lamela and Lo Celso as the rotation players.

Eriksen is as good as gone, has he even played in the Jose era? So is Rose and Wanyama id say. Then the question marks, Aurier, Vertonghen, Alderweireld.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fellaini went to China for his retirement payday. Matic im not so sure on either, Jose will re-purpose Dier into Matic's role.

Spurs need to sort out their defense, who is staying who is going, this should be a key priority for Jose. But to be fair, they should have done this for Pochettino, players are not on board with the Poch project, out the door you go. I remember seeing an article about Levy saying he couldnt find buyers. You drop your asking price far enough, you will find buyers I guarantee.

Midfield I think they have an ok mix of players, DM(Dier), technician(Winks), b2b(Sissoko, Ndombele), it's all there, just not clicking yet. Their attack is great, Kane, Son, Moura, Alli, with Lamela and Lo Celso as the rotation players.

Eriksen is as good as gone, has he even played in the Jose era? So is Rose and Wanyama id say. Then the question marks, Aurier, Vertonghen, Alderweireld.
He played against United.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Still early days but an interesting look at how he's shaping up Spurs

He has basically simplified the tactic back to Pochs of 3 years ago. We can pass it about or go more direct. So when we have space we pass it about, when we’re in a pinch Toby can quarter back it into Kane or Dele with 2 wider fast players.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
But to be fair, they should have done this for Pochettino, players are not on board with the Poch project, out the door you go. I remember seeing an article about Levy saying he couldnt find buyers. You drop your asking price far enough, you will find buyers I guarantee.
The problem, as has come from the horses mouth in many of the players, is that Poch has dithered about declaring players who he doesn't want, but then giving them mixed messages about whether he wants them or not. If he doesn't want them, he should tell them as much and stop playing them, but he didn't - so he made his own bed.

Champagne Football

Mourinho saying today it's all down to him that McTominay is Utds best player :D:lol:. If Jose was still here, Scott would be getting 3 League appearances per season, used only as a back up to Matic and Fellaini.

Bojan11

Think Spurs have a real chance in the CL this season.

Everything aligns almost perfectly with the type of squad Jose likes to work with and one he's good at getting success out of.
Nah they concede too many goals for that. If they improve their defence then they got a chance.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Mourinho saying today it's all down to him that McTominay is Utds best player :D:lol:. If Jose was still here, Scott would be getting 3 League appearances per season, used only as a back up to Matic and Fellaini.
To be fair we would have never signed Matic in the first place, thankfully.

But he does deserve some credit for McTominay's development.

SteveW

Fellaini went to China for the wedge. There's no way Levy will offer anything close to what he's earning over there. This is surely not happening.

I can see him signing Matic in January. He's not part of our plans & we don't know how to negotiate transfers, which Jose will well know. We'd probably let him go for a song. He's also 1 of Jose's favorites & he tends to start well initially at a new club.
I'd be delighted just to get Matic off the books tbh. He's an absolute embarrassment of a footballer these days.

Champagne Football

To be fair we would have never signed Matic in the first place, thankfully.

But he does deserve some credit for McTominay's development.
Scott's situation would have been similar to Fodens at City if Jose was still here. Getting runs in European competition and Cup games, and used in the league only when there's an injury crisis.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Without being a Mourinho fan, I kinda understand his meltdowns. By his own words he never saw any future on a project where the main goal was not to win titles. If there are no titles to win, the that job is not for him. And when you have such a mindset, it is very easy to get overboard by being extremely demanding with your own players (Robben himself said that Mourinho was the most demanding manager he ever had) and when you start to see different levels of energy and desire, things can only get worse and worse.

The only way I think he can improve, is if he has changed his mindset with his long time away from the training ground. Because at Porto he didn't exactly had the pressure to be a champion the way he did: he was hired at mid-season (because Porto didn't wanted to risk loosing him to their rivals), and those six months were not particularly good, with some embarrassing results like being dominated by Sparta Prague. He was hired for a rebuild and if possible to win something.
When did Mourinho say this? He was heavily backed at United.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
"Backed" seems to be a new, strange term in football fandom.

It seems, from my experience, to be based purely on net spend - rather than meaning "the manager was given the resources and support he needed".

I heard it a lot about Poch, and people continually saying he was never "backed", when by all accounts the "no transfers" summer and winter was more about backing him (because it was a situation of his own volition) than not.

Anyway, Ed recently admitted he blocked a few of Mourinho's transfers and extended contracts of players who were too cack for Utd, purely so he could extended their financial worth. I wouldn't suggest this is "backing". He also seemed to refuse him the opportunity to sign a defender in Mourinho's final window, only to spent £80m-odd on Maguire for Solksjaer the following year, which must have been annoying to witness. Regardless of the justification that this scenario would produce on here, if it went against the will of the manager then it isn't "backing" them. Least not "heavily".

VJ1762

It seems, from my experience, to be based purely on net spend - rather than meaning "the manager was given the resources and support he needed".

I heard it a lot about Poch, and people continually saying he was never "backed", when by all accounts the "no transfers" summer and winter was more about backing him (because it was a situation of his own volition) than not.

Anyway, Ed recently admitted he blocked a few of Mourinho's transfers and extended contracts of players who were too cack for Utd, purely so he could extended their financial worth. I wouldn't suggest this is "backing". He also seemed to refuse him the opportunity to sign a defender in Mourinho's final window, only to spent £80m-odd on Maguire for Solksjaer the following year, which must have been annoying to witness. Regardless of the justification that this scenario would produce on here, if it went against the will of the manager then it isn't "backing" them. Least not "heavily".
Bro, do you realise that we spent like 400 million on players during Jose's tenure? Fergie during his entire tenure of more than 40 years only spent around 700-800M I believe. I know Jose is your manager and everyone at Spurs is happy, but just be aware that it will all come crashing down in the next 18 months. If Levy doesn't back him in the summer, don't be surprised if he plays Son at LB, Moura at RB and Winks at CB, just to prove a point.

Managers at United typically get a free reign, and Mourinho just couldn't prove that he could take us anywhere long-term.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Bro, do you realise that we spent like 400 million on players during Jose's tenure?
:wenger:

Also...

Fergie during his entire tenure of more than 40 years only spent around 700-800M I believe.
I'm hoping I don't need to point out the smorgasbord of problems with this statement.

VJ1762

:wenger:

Also...

I'm hoping I don't need to point out the smorgasbord of problems with this statement.
Ok, tell me what resources and support do you think he will likely get at tottenham that he didn't get at United?

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Ok, tell me what resources and support do you think he will likely get at tottenham that he didn't get at United?
That would be a "straw man".

The discussion point was the assertion that Mourinho was "heavily backed" at United, which is only supported if you believe that "backing" is a synonym for 'Net Spend', and simultaneously he was in control of transfers, and the players bought were his decisions.

The last bit we pretty much know is not the case, as Ed said this a week or two ago:

“It is true that there was a difference of opinion on one or two players between the manager and the recruitment department.

“Sometimes I have to be one who delivers the ‘no’, which isn’t easy, because our natural tendency is to back the manager in every possible circumstance, but we have to listen to the recruitment experts too.”

An interesting but not uncharacteristic statement from Ed, who is saying that 'they' back the manager except for when they don't agree with him. Which means they back themselves and if the manager agrees, they coincidentally back him at the same time.

Which is a bit like saying you're happy for other people to choose where to eat, as long as you choose where it is.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It really takes a couple more bad losses to end the all-smiles honeymoon and revert to his inner dinosaur for a top 4 spot and a cup or two... which spurs fans would gladly accept once Poch’s ghost wanes for good.

Greck

He has basically simplified the tactic back to Pochs of 3 years ago. We can pass it about or go more direct. So when we have space we pass it about, when we’re in a pinch Toby can quarter back it into Kane or Dele with 2 wider fast players.
Hate to sound like a hater but I think you're still in the phase where you're enjoying the best of both managers ie Jose refining Poch's template of play. As time passes Poch's passing style will fade and you will see Jose's direct football start to feature predominantly

and for the record I'm talking strictly about style of play

Last edited:

VJ1762

The discussion point was the assertion that Mourinho was "heavily backed" at United, which is only supported if you believe that "backing" is a synonym for 'Net Spend', and simultaneously he was in control of transfers, and the players bought were his decisions.

The last bit we pretty much know is not the case, as Ed said this a week or two ago:

“It is true that there was a difference of opinion on one or two players between the manager and the recruitment department.

“Sometimes I have to be one who delivers the ‘no’, which isn’t easy, because our natural tendency is to back the manager in every possible circumstance, but we have to listen to the recruitment experts too.”

An interesting but not uncharacteristic statement from Ed, who is saying that 'they' back the manager except for when they don't agree with him. Which means they back themselves and if the manager agrees, they coincidentally back him at the same time.

Which is a bit like saying you're happy for other people to choose where to eat, as long as you choose where it is.
Bro, the guy brought Lindelof, baily, Dalot, in addition to the CB's we already had at that time. The guy has a reputation of setting up a great defense, but if DDG did not go super saiyan in 2017-2018, we would not have even finished second. DDG alone saved nearly 15 goals that season. Most goals saved against expected goals in the whole of last decade. Now, granted Spurs have better defenders in Toby and Jan, but our defense never looked like they received any coaching. And he didn't even compete for the title in the 2nd season, finishing 19 points behind City, where City humiliated us at home. Ed should be booted out of the club, but you could understand his reasoning: after spending all this money, we still looked way off the pace, and could Jose really be trusted with more finances?

Now saying all that, Jose might have really turned a corner, and he might be the one to lead Spurs to glory. But history suggests that Jose's star might be on the wane, and with Levy not really known for spending big...we will see how this one plays out.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He played against United.
Must of been shite, I certainly dont remember him.

It's interesting seeing the same optimism and hope from Spurs fans that we went through when Mourinho first took over.
They are riding that new manager wave at the moment. But yes the Spurs fans are like caf when Jose took over, I guess at least to be fair to Mourinho he did actually win trophies.

The Urban Goose

Are there any more rumours of Kane going to Madrid etc.?

I'm hoping there'll be a door open for Inter to offload Lukaku to Spurs...

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Are there any more rumours of Kane going to Madrid etc.?

I'm hoping there'll be a door open for Inter to offload Lukaku to Spurs...

If Spurs dont make CL positions I would be worried if I was a Spurs fan. He's not going anywhere Christmas window however.

SweetRightFoot

Except for Maguire, William, Perisic (two wingers who would have got the best out of Lukaku) etc.

Also do you not remember the line that got him sacked? It was comedy gold!

Mourinho said:
*sees there's no refreshments on the post match conference table for him*
No water? Are we saving money for summer?
Not necessarily trying to defend him, he made a lot of mistakes and the football was dreadful but I wouldn't say he was fully backed.

Except for Maguire, William, Perisic (two wingers who would have got the best out of Lukaku) etc.

Also do you not remember the line that got him sacked? It was comedy gold!

Not necessarily trying to defend him, he made a lot of mistakes and the football was dreadful but I wouldn't say he was fully backed.
backing a manager doesn’t mean letting them spend what they like on whoever they want.

we could be sat on Toby, Willian, Perisic along with Matic at a cost of around £150m. Would any of those players be useful for us now?

no manager has complete carte blanche to buy whoever they want, with the vast amount of managerial appointments, players will outlast the manager. Jose has £400m to spend, he was ‘backed. How many managers have had that level of money (inflation adjusted) to spend over such a short period of time?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Going by Duncan Castles interview, Jose didn't rate Maguire highly and wanted other experienced options.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Anyway, Ed recently admitted he... ...extended contracts of players who were too cack for Utd, purely so he could extended their financial worth.
This just goes to show that Woodward genuinely has no clue about anything and sees footballers as conventional trading assets rather than measure their value as employed resources.

It's genuinely cartoonish logic from a businessman who doesn't even understand the parts of business that aren't directly about profit. The man is a buffoon.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Jose deserves all the credit for seeing something in McTom that almost no one in this forum did. Same goes for most pundits.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Nice strawman.,

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
backing a manager doesn’t mean letting them spend what they like on whoever they want.

we could be sat on Toby, Willian, Perisic along with Matic at a cost of around £150m. Would any of those players be useful for us now?

no manager has complete carte blanche to buy whoever they want, with the vast amount of managerial appointments, players will outlast the manager. Jose has £400m to spend, he was ‘backed. How many managers have had that level of money (inflation adjusted) to spend over such a short period of time?
If we had won trophies with those players would it have been worthwhile?

Giggsyking

Do you think Jose will get 400 fecking millions from Levy? ffs, spurs fans rushing things, just fecking wait 2 years, then come back and lets have a talk.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Do you think Jose will get 400 fecking millions from Levy? ffs, spurs fans rushing things, just fecking wait 2 years, then come back and lets have a talk.
So we are just to sit and wait for the implosion, sounds sensible. Most of us know the chance of this going smoothly are stacked against us, we know its an odd partnership between Jose and Levy but we have seen more exciting and free flowing football in the last 5 matches than we have seen in the last year. I couldn't stand Jose before he joined us but he is an incredibly infection character, every time I see him now he brings a smile to my face.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
So we are just to sit and wait for the implosion, sounds sensible. Most of us know the chance of this going smoothly are stacked against us, we know its an odd partnership between Jose and Levy but we have seen more exciting and free flowing football in the last 5 matches than we have seen in the last year. I couldn't stand Jose before he joined us but he is an incredibly infection character, every time I see him now he brings a smile to my face.
Oh dear, this is what I imagine the caf was like circa 2016

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Oh dear, this is what I imagine the caf was like circa 2016
Probably but again what else are Spurs fans supposed to think? Should we be shouting Jose out in disgust? Its clear most United fans want him to implode again, but as a fan I wont judge him till he does something I don't like, so far he seems to be trying to play a more attacking brand of football with new back room staff.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think its fair enough Jose gets a new chance in his new job. He knows that he wont get pep backing to win the league so it will be interesting to see if he can adadpt.