Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Lovely.

Should ask your friends at Le Arse what their big flash stadium has netted them in the last 15 years.... actually you probably shouldn't because even through mediocirty and you having your best team in living memory, they still won more than you!!!
None of this changes the point I made: under Levy, we have invested far more in the long-term future of the Spurs than any other club chair in the Prem has done for their club.

And so in that longer term - for financial reasons if nothing else - Spurs will likely remain a key player in the football competitive stakes. Our income already eclipses that of Arsenal ... and that gap will grow wider because their stadium will generate far less income than ours.

So oppo fans can continue with their short-term, knee-jerk fixations - e.g. how few goals have Spurs scored in the last 3 games - but most of them never see the wood for the trees.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
@GlastonSpur you really do make Spurs being shit that whole lot more enjoyable.

On the face of it they’re such a nothing club but just by being you it unites every one of us on here and gives us something to cheer against.

The fact you seem so ignorant to what is coming under Mourinho makes it all the better. I suppose you’re happy to make these bold statements though because you know you’ll just disappear when it all gets a bit too much and we’re all telling you that we told you so.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I've heard it all before.

Last season it was "no chance" for Spurs in the CL … but still we reached the final. And many times before that it was "no chance" of Spurs being an established top 4 club, but the doomsters were again proved wrong.

PS. I don't hate Mourinho ... so don't project your personal feelings onto me.
It's amazing to see that nearly 30% of those who voted don't want Mourinho to go yet.
I can't imagine Pochettino publicly criticising and putting down individual players in the way that Mourinho does. It encourages scapegoating within the squad, is not the way to build team spirit and is not the way to build player confidence.

The more I see of Mourinho compared to Pochettino, the more I see a petulant and ego-centric child compared to a calm and responsible adult.
It shows the ego-centric circus that come with Mourinho ... everything becomes secondary to the attention and adulation that he craves. And Chelski fans have been suckered into it.
United haven't been back at top for the last 3 seasons: the odds on that suddenly changing just because the Mourinho circus is coming to town are not great. You'll likely toss away some more hundreds of millions, junk half of your current squad and exile most of your young prospects ... all to no great effect except turmoil, bitchy comments about other teams/managers/match officials and the media spotlight being firmly where Mourinho likes it: on himself.
That only applies if Zaha is willing to come back, but why would he be when he can stay in London and avoid Mourinho?
It's not really a question of comparison. It's simply that Pochettino fits with Spurs and Mourinho doesn't.
[\QUOTE]
I’ll include this one out of the spoiler, because, well, it’s hilarious.
Mourinho has been convicted of £2.9m tax fraud. Should he be sacked as United's manager?

Obviously won't happen, because that would involve some sort of social responsibility.
I don’t know why you pretended you didn’t like Jose, you spent actual years belittling him on here as a means to praise Pochettino.
The problem you’ve got now is Poch is gone mate, and as you put it yourself, the Jose circus has come to town. ;)

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Ha ha nice one @Dec9003. We were a banter club under Mourinho and oppo fans used to love the fact that Mourinho was dragging us down. Towards the end of his tenure they were chanting "we want you to stay". Then when Arsenal and Spurs lost their managers the turnaround was astounding and he was once again the best thing since sliced bread and they were all over him to revive their fortunes for sure.

When he rocked up at Spurs the fans suddenly forgot how crap he'd been. He didn't even get the satisfaction of getting one over his old employer. The hypocrisy is just staggering and @GlastonSpur is just a typical example of that. They're stuck with him for nearly 4 years which is absolutely great.

Ha ha nice one @Dec9003. We were a banter club under Mourinho and oppo fans used to love the fact that Mourinho was dragging us down. Towards the end of his tenure they were chanting "we want you to stay". Then when Arsenal and Spurs lost their managers the turnaround was astounding and he was once again the best thing since sliced bread and they were all over him to revive their fortunes for sure.

When he rocked up at Spurs the fans suddenly forgot how crap he'd been. He didn't even get the satisfaction of getting one over his old employer. The hypocrisy is just staggering and @GlastonSpur is just a typical example of that. They're stuck with him for nearly 4 years which is absolutely great.
I agree, and well done to @Dec9003.

We all know by now that @glastonspurms can’t be reasoned with.

Appointing Jose is at the very least, spurs appointing a divisive figure, who no longer has his mojo and may lead spurs to a cup, but who will play terrible football, frustrate the fans and alienate some players in the squad. Surely there is no one who think any differently?

At worst, appointing Jose is a certain disaster, meltdown, a £20m payout and he departs having left the squad in tatters for whoever comes in after.

a lot of Utd fans (me included) got sucked in by Jose. Charming, and telling us he’s changed... oh dear, that didn’t last long.

what annoyed me most was that he claimed the Charity Shield was a trophy - it’s bloody not, and it’s a pathetic mentality to claim it is.

Don Juan Matus

I don’t know why you pretended you didn’t like Jose, you spent actual years belittling him on here as a means to praise Pochettino.
The problem you’ve got now is Poch is gone mate, and as you put it yourself, the Jose circus has come to town. ;)
:lol: Brutal mate! That should shut him up for a while..

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

@RedSky @Damien Get this lad signed up for WW :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's a pretty bad stat to be fair. It's not a fluke occurrence either, you only need to watch a few Spurs matches to see how toothless they look in attack. This was noticeable before Kane got injured too.
It is a fluke occurrence given the quality of the chances they did have. Particularly Lo Celso's against 'pool.

They are pretty toothless against deep blocks, sure
Actually 3 league games without a goal for Spurs now, 4 scoreless games in six if you include the Chelsea game. The Kane debate is interesting as I actually don't think he was looking that effective in the Mourinho system although early days of course.
Was already going on under Poch. Kane spends too much time and energy playing CM hub because the team has no midfield. That's probably the main reason
3 trophies (including first UEFA) in just over 2 seasons and less than 1.5% off SAF's win rate - if that's "fairly bad" then I don't think you're going to enjoy the next few seasons.
144 games vs nearly 3 decades :lol:

For a better comparison, SAF's win rate between 03/04-05/06 was still higher than Mourinho's

Yes, Mourinho was fairly bad for United considering costs and expectations vs results and problems. Moreover, the main reason he was merely fairly bad and lasted into a third season instead of being a disaster and getting sacked after the sevilla debacle was De Gea had a supernatural season in the PL

ISMAIL-007

He will never win another league title at a top club.

He is finished and has been finished for a while.

Spurs is his level now.
Doubt it will last for long because soon spurs will wake up and realize they showed too much respect to his resume and that they can do better than him.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
@GlastonSpur you really do make Spurs being shit that whole lot more enjoyable.

On the face of it they’re such a nothing club but just by being you it unites every one of us on here and gives us something to cheer against.

The fact you seem so ignorant to what is coming under Mourinho makes it all the better. I suppose you’re happy to make these bold statements though because you know you’ll just disappear when it all gets a bit too much and we’re all telling you that we told you so.
Yep - a "nothing club" that just happens to have reached the CL final last year, is the 8th wealthiest in world football (and rising), and has a world-class stadium and training centre.

It's your illusion, but if it keeps you thinking happy thoughts ….

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yep - a "nothing club" that just happens to have reached the CL final last year, is the 8th wealthiest in world football (and rising), and has a world-class stadium and training centre.

With a history rich in mediocrity.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

When he rocked up at Spurs the fans suddenly forgot how crap he'd been. He didn't even get the satisfaction of getting one over his old employer. The hypocrisy is just staggering and @[B]GlastonSpur is just a typical example of that.[/B] They're stuck with him for nearly 4 years which is absolutely great.
What a great piece of fiction. You should look for a book deal. But in terms of actual fact:
  • I have not said Mourinho coming to Spurs is the "best thing since sliced bread", or anything similar to that. Instead, I actually said that - unless he wanted to leave - Pochettino should not have been sacked.
  • Now that Mourinho is at Spurs, I obviously want him to do well. Whether he will or not remains to be seen.
  • Since Mourinho took over, the situation at Spurs has stabilised a little bit compared to the start of the season up until Pochettino was sacked.
  • Banter about Mourinho at United is one thing. But blaming him for dragging United down is to miss what's been going at United ever since Fergie retired - and continues today under your third manager (apart from Mourinho) since Fergie left. You've been dragging down for years. Mourinho was unable to stop it, but then nor were/have the other post-Fergie replacements.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

You've changed your tune. First you claimed I hate Mourinho. Now it's merely become "dislike" - do make your mind up.

In fact your confusion extends further, since you seem unable to distinguish between banter, hate and dislike.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What a great piece of fiction. You should look for a book deal. But in terms of actual fact:
  • I have not said Mourinho coming to Spurs is the "best thing since sliced bread", or anything similar to that. Instead, I actually said that - unless he wanted to leave - Pochettino should not have been sacked.
  • Now that Mourinho is at Spurs, I obviously want him to do well. Whether he will or not remains to be seen.
  • Since Mourinho took over, the situation at Spurs has stabilised a little bit compared to the start of the season up until Pochettino was sacked.
  • Banter about Mourinho at United is one thing. But blaming him for dragging United down is to miss what's been going at United ever since Fergie retired - and continues today under your third manager (apart from Mourinho) since Fergie left. You've been dragging down for years. Mourinho was unable to stop it, but then nor were/have the other post-Fergie replacements.
Ha ha you really are a piece of work. Even with our three managers since Fergie left, we've still won more than your sorry lot. And I didn't say you had said anything but was referring to the posts you had made about Mourinho and your willingness to wanting him to do well now as being typical of the flip flop attitude of the Spurs fans. They were getting ahead of themselves after that 3 game winning streak.

DWelbz19

Worse teams and coaches have reached the CL final... It's not the proof you think it is
Some time ago, perhaps. In the past 10 years, the Chelsea side is the only one which sticks out.

Dec9003

You've changed your tune. First you claimed I hate Mourinho. Now it's merely become "dislike" - do make your mind up.

In fact your confusion extends further, since you seem unable to distinguish between banter, hate and dislike.
Oh come on Glaston mate, not like this. Just accept that you don't like Jose, you dislike him but now that you're stuck with him you've got to get on with it. There's no shame in it, but to come back and pretend it was all just banter is incredibly meek. You've let us all down Glaston.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
… your willingness to wanting him to do well now as being typical of the flip flop attitude of the Spurs fans …
What a ridiculous statement. Of course Spurs fans want Mourinho to do well at Spurs. You have to be some kind of numpty to imagine that fans of any football club want a newly-appointed manager at their club to do badly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Mourinho has been convicted of £2.9m tax fraud. Should he be sacked as United's manager?

Obviously won't happen, because that would involve some sort of social responsibility.
So @GlastonSpur do Spurs have social responsibility?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
:lol: player shouldn't get injured now, maybe Kane is on disappearing act too.
I was actually referring to his "gone missing" performance in many games - and to his obvious desire to leave United.

PS. It's a genuine injury is it? I'll just have to take your word for it.

roonster09

Scout
I was actually referring to his "gone missing" performance in many games - and to his obvious desire to leave United.

PS. It's a genuine injury is it? I'll just have to take your word for it.
Of course, unless you want to believe Kane is also just "injured".

Yeah goes missing but somehow ends up at top in most stats. Must be a clever missing performance.

roonster09

Scout
If he committed tax fraud whilst at Spurs - and was convicted of this - then I've no doubt Levy would sack him.
But somehow he knew Jose was tax fraud and still hired him, which is even worse :lol:

Somehow Jose committed tax fraud when he was at Madrid but ManUtd should have sacked him. At least Spurs knew his full history and still hired him.

Teja

I'm loving this, Spurs are so fecked, I've been watching them a bit and see the same zombie passing, no runs, shit attacking patterns taking shape. Ndombele got thrown under the bus already, I think the remaining Midfielders are next (Eriksen played at CM against Pool!).

I'm sure they'll string together some good results but they'll definitely decline from the Poch years.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What a ridiculous statement. Of course Spurs fans want Mourinho to do well at Spurs. You have to be some kind of numpty to imagine that fans of any football club want a newly-appointed manager at their club to do badly.
Yeah but when you were spouting stuff like below (just to remind you again) when he was at United but now that's all forgotten just because he's at Spurs now that kinda does make you a flip flop though doesn't it?

United haven't been back at top for the last 3 seasons: the odds on that suddenly changing just because the Mourinho circus is coming to town are not great. You'll likely toss away some more hundreds of millions, junk half of your current squad and exile most of your young prospects ... all to no great effect except turmoil, bitchy comments about other teams/managers/match officials and the media spotlight being firmly where Mourinho likes it: on himself.
It's not really a question of comparison. It's simply that Pochettino fits with Spurs and Mourinho doesn't.
You're embarrassing yourself mate.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm loving this, Spurs are so fecked, I've been watching them a bit and see the same zombie passing, no runs, shit attacking patterns taking shape. Ndombele got thrown under the bus already, I think the remaining Midfielders are next (Eriksen played at CM against Pool!).

I'm sure they'll string together some good results but they'll definitely decline from the Poch years.
That's the thing that Spurs fan should worry about, from day one they played like Mourinho's United. It's almost unbelievable.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Hilarious how Glaston always moans about Spurs threads going off topic with United talk yet it's always him bringing up United in the first place.

Spurs haven't scored a league goal in 2020? Glaston: "blah blah United blah blah"
*gets called out on his bullshit* Glaston: "blah blah Pogba blah blah"

Ed9

I used to like spurs but this king of delusion and his cheese factory makes their obscurity enjoyable.
Talk about big words before achieving something. Over and over. Sorry other spurs fans.

Reactions: SteveJ

billybee99

I didn't see anything about actually WINNING something in your response.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
But somehow he knew Jose was tax fraud and still hired him, which is even worse …
He wasn't at Spurs when he committed tax fraud. Nor was he at Spurs when he was convicted of tax fraud. He then paid the legal penalty for it.

As for Spurs later hiring him, do you think that anyone with a conviction should be made permanently unemployable? If so, it's an extreme position to adopt.