Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
"he won the tactical battle"

Give me a break. This is just a phrase that people spew out without actually thinking what the hell they're saying.

Based Adnan

We had an XG of 1.7 meanwhile Spurs had 0.5

Winning the tactical bottle is a load of bollocks. He got lucky De Gea chucked it into his own net and Lloris pulled off a worldie save vs Martial.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Spurs fans react:

There are a few positive posts about Mourinho but the sentiment seems to be that hiring him was a mistake.
Wow. All these posts look very familiar. Pretty sure you could find the equivalents here.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
I clearly recognized that Tottenham's team last night, it felt strange.
It was like Jose's United vs this United.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I like his honesty and jus overall personality. He says it how he sees it and i respect that. Ive always liked him though because i think he is a cheeky fecker and he makes me laugh.
No one in here really dislike his honesty and personality. If that alone will make you happy and be positive then so be it but I don't see where in that aspect he winds us up so much. I personally enjoying his personality because it's an entertaining to watch him talking & react. However, let's be real, looking at the fixtures, if anything who needs the 3 points more is Spurs yesterday. We have much easier remaining fixtures to get 3 points than both Spurs & Chelsea. May be you shouldn't be too excited with it after yesterday match.

Cloud7

No one in here really dislike his honesty and personality. If that alone will make you happy and be positive then so be it but I don't see where in that aspect he winds us up so much. I personally enjoying his personality because it's an entertaining to watch him talking & react. However, let's be real, looking at the fixtures, if anything who needs the 3 points more is Spurs yesterday. We have much easier remaining fixtures to get 3 points than both Spurs & Chelsea. May be you shouldn't be too excited with it after yesterday match.
The thing is, Jose's honesty is never actually honesty. His brand of 'honesty' is designed to direct the blame for bad results at anyone but him. The board, the players etc.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The thing is, Jose's honesty is never actually honesty. His brand of 'honesty' is designed to direct the blame for bad results at anyone but him. The board, the players etc.
That's defo one big issue that Spurs fans haven't realised yet. I hate manager who prefers to blame his players & board instead of taking responsibility as a team. One aspect that I don't like about Jose and also Conte in his final season with Chelsea.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
This is so true. What he's attempting to convey when he speaks is so glaringly obvious, that I'm surprised there are people who still can't see through it. Just one massive self-preservation exercise that reeks of insecurity.

cyberman

This is so true. What he's attempting to convey when he speaks is so glaringly obvious, that I'm surprised there are people who still can't see through it. Just one massive self-preservation exercise that reeks of insecurity.
Yep. I dont even think they set up tp play the way they did last night. Their lack of legs in pressing pushed them back and our new found abilitiy to be largely press resistent in midfield helped as well

Dve

My thought exactly when listening to Jose after the match last night. First, he said he was happy with some things, and unhappy with other things. It turned out he was happy with everything he did (the game plan, how he read the game), and unhappy with the ref.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Spurs fans react:

There are a few positive posts about Mourinho but the sentiment seems to be that hiring him was a mistake.
Ahh, it seems they’ve reached the first stage of the mourinho cycle!

next up is boredom, followed by rage and then finally denial.

I cannot wait to see his meltdown when levy gives him zero cash again this summer.

Bobski

Worth pointing out how Spurs were physically gone after 60 mins. It was a big issue at Utd how lacking the squad was in pure fitness under Mourinho. Kane was busted by HT but for some reason lasted the 90.

Kag

Ahh, it seems they’ve reached the first stage of the mourinho cycle!

next up is boredom, followed by rage and then finally denial.

I cannot wait to see his meltdown when levy gives him zero cash again this summer.
He’s already been at it this week. Subtle hints in the press that they can’t do what other clubs can in the transfer market. He then listed players on our bench (Mata, Matic, Pogba, Greenwood) and suggested that the options they had (Alderweireld and Vertonghen) were only defensive ones. Now even if there is an element of accuracy to what he is saying, the deflection and, ultimately, excuses are all rehearsed in a way that absolves him of responsibility. He used to list the quality of our opposition players all the time. It’s the same shit, different club. Thankfully, it isn’t us.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s already been at it this week. Subtle hints in the press that they can’t do what other clubs can in the transfer market. He then listed players on our bench (Mata, Matic, Pogba, Greenwood) and suggested that the options they had (Alderweireld and Vertonghen) were only defensive ones. Now even if there is an element of accuracy to what he is saying, the deflection and, ultimately, excuses are all rehearsed in a way that absolves him of responsibility. He used to list the quality of our opposition players all the time. It’s the same shit, different club. Thankfully, it isn’t us.
Yep. I've genuinely never heard him say "sorry lads, my fault today! better next week" some humility would go a long way.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Just read this - forbidden GPS trackers while at United

A disinclination for high pressing would certainly explain his apathy towards GPS tracking. Some Spurs staff were taken aback at discovering Mourinho had not before allowed GPS systems until being appointed by Daniel Levy. Given Tottenham have one of the largest analysis departments in the country, it would have been faintly ridiculous had his aversion to the technology continued at White Hart Lane.

Mourinho prohibited the use of GPS when in charge at United — although coaches at under-23 level and down were allowed — because his training approach, and that of influential assistant Rui Faria, owed more to intuition from experience than being governed by data.
https://theathletic.com/1883386/202...s-united-spurs-gps?source=user-shared-article

Dinosaur.

AshRK

Nothing changed then. He is back to defending himself by giving everyone a history lesson.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Nothing changed then. He is back to defending himself by giving everyone a history lesson.
Drogba averaged 46 goals per season under Jose :lol:

Whatever he is smoking, he should quit that.

Shark

@NotShark

Anthony Martial who could have scored two goals and put his team to bed. So glad Jose isn't our manager anymore, absolute delusional cretin.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If only Drogba did average 46 goals a season, he'd have been one of the best of all time given what else he brought to the table.

I don't get why Jose brings his record up as a response to criticism, no one doubts his history as a manager, would be like R9 bringing up his Barca times and world cup record in response to struggling at Milan in his twilight years.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Chelsea and math weren't a good combo under Mourinho. Just ask Essien.

CM

Why is he even speaking about Martial? If it wasn't for a very good save from Lloris he would've been on the scoresheet.

Kane (and this isn't a criticism of him as such) was completely anonymous.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Drogba averaged 46 goals per season under Jose :lol:

Whatever he is smoking, he should quit that.
Yes that sounded strange. He clearly is so obsessed with his past achievements that he says werid stuff.
The amount of goals that he had mentioned was literally the amount of games Drogba had played for him, so he had just looked at the wrong column. It should've looked at least slightly suspicious for him though when he did the math :lol:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The only way he can win titles again is to join a squad that is ready to embrace his style, mainly a squad that has few years left to leave their mark on football. Here at Manchester his message could never get across because he had a lot of young players with long careers ahead and with many titles on their CV's, not some U21 blokes who never achieved anything at senior footbal or some 27+ players

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Why would you say that a player playing under you wasn't your first choice ffs!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The amount of goals that he had mentioned was literally the amount of games Drogba had played for him, so he had just looked at the wrong column. It should've looked at least slightly suspicious for him though when he did the math :lol:
The man was renown for his meticulous mind but now he is the equivalent of a Redcafe regular, in terms of football understanding and use of stats.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah 46 goals on average in Jose team, maybe it looked suspicious when he said it but he just went ahead instead of correcting himself.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Boiling up quite nicely at Tottenham - he won't last his usual 3 years there.

Was such a strange appointment. This is a guy who has generally needed to be at the biggest or richest club in the league to succeed. He goes to a team who don't like spending much, and whose team are at the end of their cycle. Plus he looked utterly shot away by the end of his time here and yesterday's man strategy wise.

Still - it'll be enjoyable watching it unfold from afar this time.

AshRK

The only way he can win titles again is to join a squad that is ready to embrace his style, mainly a squad that has few years left to leave their mark on football. Here at Manchester his message could never get across because he had a lot of young players with long careers ahead and with many titles on their CV's, not some U21 blokes who never achieved anything at senior footbal or some 27+ players
The only way he can win a league title is if he joins PSG or bayern. Cannot see him doing that in a competitive league. More than his tactics and style.of football I feel it is his demeanor that has completely changed in last 4 to 5 years. It's like the scars from the chelsea season has not gone. Everytime he speaks as a manager he is trying to prove others wrong and teaching history of how he once achieved so much.

AshRK

Boiling up quite nicely at Tottenham - he won't last his usual 3 years there.

Was such a strange appointment. This is a guy who has generally needed to be at the biggest or richest club in the league to succeed. He goes to a team who don't like spending much, and whose team are at the end of their cycle. Plus he looked utterly shot away by the end of his time here and yesterday's man strategy wise.

Still - it'll be enjoyable watching it unfold from afar this time.
I would say considering no big club will go near him it was a smart choice by Jose. He loves the underdog mentality where pressure will be less and spurs are a perfect club. Even if he wins a league cup he would be consider himself as a genius who helped spurs win a trophy. No one expects him to win the title or even challenge for it. And even if he misses top 4 for a season he will find a way to make excuses and most of the spurs fans will buy him.

Live in london, managing a decent side, less pressure. I would say Jose made a smart move (unless newscastle really start spending crazy)