Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Devil81

He's done isn't he, the modern game has changed and the modern footballer has changed.

He's almost in the category of Roy Keane now, you just know wherever they land they will alienate themselves from everyone within twelve months. The thing with Mourinho is I think he doesn't know how to adapt to football now, he knows one system and he's trying to implement that system wherever he goes. His teams just camp out hoping to keep the door shut whilst hoping they will eventually get a chance and win the game by the odd goal.

Spurs aren't that type of football club, they demand good football and the players they have now only know how to attack and entertain. Levy must be panicking behind the scenes, he's got this one horribly wrong.

flappyjay

What about the mismanagement of the squad. Seeing Vetonghen, Alderweireld on the bench. Those two at some point had a case for being the best cb duo in epl for 3-4 years. Then there is Erikson who left for peanuts and rose in the wilderness somewhere . All 4 of these guys could have fetched an easy 150-180m for spurs. They did the same mistake Arsenal did with Sanchez and Ozil. If you are not an Elite club you have to definitely know when to sell, an art Dortmund have perfected.

Tiber

He's done isn't he, the modern game has changed and the modern footballer has changed.

He's almost in the category of Roy Keane now, you just know wherever they land they will alienate themselves from everyone within twelve months. The thing with Mourinho is I think he doesn't know how to adapt to football now, he knows one system and he's trying to implement that system wherever he goes. His teams just camp out hoping to keep the door shut whilst hoping they will eventually get a chance and win the game by the odd goal.

Spurs aren't that type of football club, they demand good football and the players they have now only know how to attack and entertain. Levy must be panicking behind the scenes, he's got this one horribly wrong.
He was done the day he left Madrid. I know he had a few good months at Chelsea, but that didn't last long and he has never been the same

elnorte

Freaky fly day
He seems to be completely unable to cope emotionally with his own decline.

Champagne Football

He's talking about the mental weakness of Spurs players. He said the same about Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Shaw many times but the truth is its not mental weakness, it's that players who like to express themselves and take risks do not perform when asked to defend all game while under strict orders to not take risks.

Cantona once said Jose at Utd was like the wrong husband for the wrong wife. But at Spurs it's like forcing the wife to marry a known wife-beater. Spurs and Jose are polar opposites in their philosophies of how a club should be run.

Last edited:

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Just seen the score and according to the stats Spurs had more shots on target and much more possession. What happened?

Rajma

What about the mismanagement of the squad. Seeing Vetonghen, Alderweireld on the bench. Those two at some point had a case for being the best cb duo in epl for 3-4 years. Then there is Erikson who left for peanuts and rose in the wilderness somewhere . All 4 of these guys could have fetched an easy 150-180m for spurs. They did the same mistake Arsenal did with Sanchez and Ozil. If you are not an Elite club you have to definitely know when to sell, an art Dortmund have perfected.
Keeping them was fine but not adding to the team to take a full advantage of having those players and a very goos manager all at the same time was criminal. Levy made a bed for himself here.

LVGSdive

Disagree. I said yesterday after the Chelsea game that on paper, Spurs have a better team than Chelsea. The top four clubs on paper for me would be Liverpool, City, Us and Spurs. Chelsea are rectifying this by buying Timo and the winger from Ajax whose name i cannot spell. They look like they are getting Havertz as well. So they will be closer next year no doubt.

Mourinho is going to stagnate Spurs like he did to us.
Jose just has to buy Alexis, Young, and Jesse from us and he will take Spurs back to the title.

Rajma

Just seen the score and according to the stats Spurs had more shots on target and much more possession. What happened?
Spurs had 2 shots on target, the 2nd was Kane goal in the 89th minute. That’s all you need to know.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Guy needs to go into international management. He can dig out some results and motivate teams in that style of tournament, but when he has to train them day to day, build a style, build for the future, bring players in and build a team... He's not cut out for it anymore. So far out of touch.

tomaldinho1

It's a relief he isn't our manager anymore.
Amen. Poor fit for us, poor for Spurs - he used to suit the underdog club that could still attract big players but now I don't even know what tactics he tries to play, it just seems so passive and meek. Can;t see him in the PL much longer unless he changes how he treats players.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Guy needs to go into international management. He can dig out some results and motivate teams in that style of tournament, but when he has to train them day to day, build a style, build for the future, bring players in and build a team... He's not cut out for it anymore. So far out of touch.
Won't have transfer budget

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Jose could manage Portugal and still moan about not being able to bring in new players in the transfer window.

Womp

idiot
Just looks like a man who hasn't been able to adapt to the times. Tactically, I still think he can be very good, which is why I agree that he would do very well in international management. His attention to detail and his ability to stifle top teams is still very good but his constant fall outs with this generation, who just don't respond to his management tactics etc. is very evident now.

He's had his opportunities to adapt so he could better appeal to this generation and he's had his opportunities to work on modernising his approach to the game, but he hasn't done so. I don't agree that the defensive style is dead by any means, take Simeone, for example. It's just Jose's approach to said style which is what's dead now.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What about the mismanagement of the squad. Seeing Vetonghen, Alderweireld on the bench. Those two at some point had a case for being the best cb duo in epl for 3-4 years. Then there is Erikson who left for peanuts and rose in the wilderness somewhere . All 4 of these guys could have fetched an easy 150-180m for spurs
Funny thing is, Jose wanted us to shell out big money for Rose, Alderweireld and Eriksen when he was here!

LoneStar

He took Spurs back to their roots, i.e. when no one gave a feck about them.

I had liked Jose and really believed he would take us to the top again. While that didn’t happen, the game against them really hit home how truly bad we were under him.

I think he’s done as an elite coach for a while now, but might find some success in a league like Serie A

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Won't have transfer budget
Exactly, can't complain and just has to plan counter attacking styles for short term tournaments using what he has and nothing to moan about. Train them into the ground and use his players into the ground for 1 month. It's a perfect set up for him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He took Spurs back to their roots, i.e. when no one gave a feck about them.

I had liked Jose and really believed he would take us to the top again. While that didn’t happen, the game against them really hit home how truly bad we were under him.

I think he’s done as an elite coach for a while now, but might find some success in a league like Serie A
You mean the first game or the last one? Because the craziest thing about Mourinho and the reason why Tottenham fans should worry is that from day one under Mourinho they played exactly like United under Mourinho, I was convinced that our players were just following his instructions but that game confirmed it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
And then we killed that team by getting Carrick.
2006/7 was when Carrick left. Jol was still in charge and got 5th (Berba's first season there). Next season Jol was fired, much worse in the league but they got a league cup.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I never really say you are. I said Spurs fans always overrated their players, player's potential and they have different standard of rating their players. And you are Spurs fans. Eriksen is one of the many example and also including how some Spurs fans think Winks has the same potential to be as good as Carrick.
I have never ever seen any Spurs fan say that. Whoever said that needs their head examined.