Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VJ1762

I really hope Mourinho has a chance to end the scouser's hopes once again, like he did in 2014. That would be hilarious.

Abizzz

Kane is built for a Jose team. Sissoko, N'dombele and Dier are all his kind of players.
Hard to argue with that . Having thought about it another 5mins I think Jose will appreciate Son's effort/work rate too. It will be interesting to see if Jose can get any of his more positive traits back with this team. I could see a moody Jose rubbing someone like Kane the wrong way quickly to be honest.

MrBrightside1989

Seems like such a managerial mistake match, the style of Poch and the style of Jose is so different.

Matt007a

I think he will have a good short term impact there because there is obviously a lot of quality in the squad. If his appointment fixes the issue where things had gone stale with Poch then I expect them to finish the season well.

Long term though this is a car crash appointment. Even if Jose was still in his prime, it’s no secret he needs certain players to make his system work, like most top managers and he’s gone to a club who won’t buy them because of tight purse strings.

His appointment also might not prevent a few key players running down their contracts like they have been the last 12 months.

siw2007

Well that escalated quickly!

I think the squad is perfect for Mourinho. It’s an experienced team with some excellent players, he can definitely get a tune out of them. Most importantly he will re-organise their defence and make them a solid unit again.

The test will be whether he will work well with Levy in the transfer market.

dasty

I tend to agree with this. The problem could be that some of those players might not want to be at the club anymore and if Mou lost the dressing room at United how will it go at Spurs with players already wanting out and in general being underpaid compared to what other clubs offer. The style of play also has to matter here; going from an attacking high pressing play (when it worked :) ) to a park the buss one might further drive out some players.

Interesting times.
Trophies will motivate the players to at least stay for another year or two to fight for it. Not many managers in the world guarantees trophy, but Mourinho is one of them. Spurs also seems to have players that are more football first than anything, while our squad is more focused on their social media influence... Mourinho don't park the bus every game, only when he doesn't trust his defense or when a draw is considered as a good result. I am also pretty sure that he will trust Alderweireld/Vertonghen/Sanchez more than Jones/Smalling/Bailly/Lindelof.

R'hllor

He will do well in first part and then drop a bait to Levy for contract extension, after that if Levy bites, comes "sack me" scam = $$$$$.

Also interested how media will be treating him from a get go, will be different from his United days, another good thing is that fat cnut from the Sun might ask to be moved to London.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I dont know why people are laughing at it. He will do quite well there and Levy has started spending money as well. Team he has at Spurs now, is probably the best he can dream of (for his style).

Absolute huge units of midfield , defense that would be fine to play deep, pact wingers and a brilliant striker. Imagine playing against Wanyana,Dier,Sissoko and Ndombele in the midfield and someone needs a goal ?

There will be no pressure of playing attacking style either. This probably a dream job in terms of expectations as well. With his reputation he could even have the players stay - if not all at least Toby and Verts.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Thrilled to hear that.
I hated Mourinho the United manager , but I loved Mourinho the entertainer. Both on the pitch and off it. The PL wasn't the same without Jose, so glad he's back.
I expect them to steady over the season with a lot of good wins and some terrible losses, next season they'll give everyone a run for their money and win something for sure, and the season after that everyone will fall out with each other and Jose will get a payout.

SirAnderson

Wow. Just wow.
Wonder how the Spurs fans are taking this/spinning this.
Only see trouble.
Jose soon becoming a top 6 w*ore.
Hopefully Liverpool in 2 years time.
And City 2 years after that.

gica_7

For all the reasons you have for sacking Pochettino, it is strange to think that Jose is the answer. This might as well be his last chance at the top top level. So, he might leave out his grumpy self and might change his methods. But, that's what I hoped to happen after his appointment to us.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s back home with his family in London. Surely unstoppable Mourinho is now

ColvaleGoa

2 good years coming for Spurs and a crash of Titanic proportion in the 3rd year. Enjoy this high Spurs fan ,,you know exactly what you have signed for..

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
feck sake, he will be visiting us in 2 weeks time. Will definitely win with 'tactical masterclass.' :(
I think you'll win, similar to when we first played Jose's United.

Numerous players will be desperate to get one over on him which will be a lot more powerful than one manager trying to get one over a bunch of players.

Although you will start seeing why we turned against him, he will show your club zero respect from now on.

VJ1762

Mourinho about to turn Sonaldo into the best left back in the world.

flappyjay

This will be.. Well.. Interesting. :) will Eriksen and Alderwiereld leave anyway?
Only if on top of trophies they are promised market level salaries which is 200k or more. So probably not.

Gearbox Paddy

Potentially a dangerous combo because he wants to prove he can still do it after what happened here and at Chelsea.

Can see him doing well this season, even better next season and then in the 3rd season the wheels falling off after another meltdown.

Judas

Open to offers
He will do well for awhile, then it will collapse. Obviously.

But they'll finally win a trophy again, that I'm certain of. I think its a good short term hire.

Gasolin

He won't be.

He's a has been.

He'll maybe get some decent results a season or two before it all culminates in a meltdown.

Jose Mourinho is finished.
A serious Jose is still a very strong tactical manager who also happens to have a very strong ego / resolve. If he's up for it, he's always dangerous. Now is he up for it? That's another question and I don't think so, but who knows. All I want is to beat them up twice in the league. The rest doesn't matter.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
2 good years coming for Spurs and a crash of Titanic proportion in the 3rd year. Enjoy this high Spurs fan ,,you know exactly what you have signed for..
They'll take it.

2 years over a 50 years of underachieving? :drool:

VJ1762

I think you'll win, similar to when we first played Jose's United.

Numerous players will be desperate to get one over on him which will be a lot more powerful than one manager trying to get one over on a bunch of players.

Although you will start seeing why we turned against him, he will show your club zero respect from now on.
Atleast you lot got 3 titles out of him. We didn't get anything :(.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I really dont see it between how Spurs is run and what Jose will want.

But best of luck to Jose, didnt work out here for him, fair enough, sometimes these things dont work out. Might watch the next Spurs game, who do they play next? I agree they definitely have some Jose style players in Dier, the Belgian CB's, Kane, Son, Ndombele. Lets not forget they have real quality in the team, when the players can be azzed, certainly better than 14th. Maybe Jose can get a tune out of them until those want away players get their moves to other clubs. Maybe not.

But they also have a bunch of players that want out for a variety of reasons. Eriksen, Rose, Aurier, Wanyama, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, not sure how many of them wanted to leave just because of Pochettino. Probably none of them, so hiring Jose doesnt solve any of those issues. Eriksen wants trophies, Alderweireld more money, Vertonghen a final pay day, same with Rose, Aurier back to France, Wanyama stepping down a level from PL because of physical injuries. Changing manager does zero to address any of those problems.

Gavinb33

I cant see how Jose is going to be successful, they have what 3 or 4 1st team players out of contract this summer and notoriously dont spend money that's a proper rebuild if they lose those players.

And the Jose apologists on this thread are hilarious and will be unbearable if he does well there.

Please sign Matic Jose thanks

Suvvernmanc

Well that escalated quickly!

I think the squad is perfect for Mourinho. It’s an experienced team with some excellent players, he can definitely get a tune out of them. Most importantly he will re-organise their defence and make them a solid unit again.

The test will be whether he will work well with Levy in the transfer market.
The problem that Jose will have to face is the same that Poch would have faced. 2 average left backs, 2 average right backs. 2 world class centre backs who are going in the summer. And a world class midfielder leaving too.

But I do agree with your post. Jose will in the short term get them playing. I said in another thread that January and next summer would be huge for Poch regarding transfers. The same applies for Jose

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
3 league titles. Not too bad. Granted it was the old Mourinho.
That's my point.
He was found wanting tactically against Pep,Klopp,Conte and younger managers(including Poch ironically enough).

Not sure he's going to change

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Something tells me Levy will back him in the transfer market. They've been consistently improving, albeit slowly, for the last 10 years. Now they are in a position to capitalise on the infrastructure and penny pinching over the years, this is a club on the up, and have done it the right way. 2-3 Top quality signings in, and if he can keep hold of the top players all there, wouldn't surprise me if he can close the gap on scouse and city. That's if he has his mojo back (he's back in London with his family so he'll be buzzing).

On the other hand it could all go tits up and he'll be crying at the beginning of the season because Levy is being a tightwad and be gone by next Christmas.