Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He looks like a new man. Full of energy. A fully motivated Mourinho is a dangerous one. I think next season will be his best for Spurs, making top 4 and maybe winning the FA Cup or Carabao cup, after that things will go downwards because Levy won't spend big.
Heard that before.

OleTheGreat

Jose Mourinho is an amazing manager but he will not change his style regardless of the stature of the club he works for. Even if he went for Barcelona, he would make them defend first and then attack. I think Spurs will actually like Jose in their first year because he does adapt very quickly and defend everyone that's around him but as time goes, he will kill the football patterns they have trained on for so long. Levy and Spurs have lost a great manager in Pochettino because although he hasn't won a cup for them, he has done wonders with that team. He has also played amazing football in Europe. The game against us at the end of last season was a great game for them in the second half and i thought we had to work really really hard to keep them out.

Jose will not be an improvement on Pochettino's style of football for sure but maybe he'll do things to win them a trophy or two in the next couple of years and i guess that's exactly what Levy wants for them now, what with a new stadium and all. I hope Pochettino gets his hands on the Barcelona job or the United job in the future. He does have a bright future, no doubt.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
We are no where near United or Liverpool status wise.
Don't have to tell me that; i know.

Point being, that's how they want to see themselves with the new stadium, Champions League status and even the way you guys used to play football under Poch. You never played like underdogs and that's when you were at your best. I just don't see this as a good fit.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
How? Poch coming out saying he would quit Tottenham is he won the CL? Cryptic pressers saying he maybe wasn't the man for spurs anymore, then doing a complete flip saying he needed time to rebuild? Wht should Levy have done, just sit and let the form get worse? This has been going on since January, its no real shock TBH.
My point is that he's made poch his convenient idiot in all this. The philosophy and constrictions he's had to work under for Levy, turns out it didn't have to be that way with a sexier manager on board.

It's the pay that hits me though. He signed an extension 18 months ago. Turns out levy is happy paying double that for someone else.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Set the clock on the "usual".

Initial upturn in results, spending relatively big.
"Relative success" - which for Tottenham will would be top 4 and a cup run.

Followed by a massive meltdown picking arguments with all and sundry and a massive slide down the table.

FireballXL5

He'll be gone in under two years. It's going to be hilarious watching him destroy their club too, the toxic little prick.

OleTheGreat

He's gonna shush the Stretford end on 5th December, isn't he?
I hope that doesn't happen. Pogba is going to rise on that day and kill every attack of Spurs and build the counter for us. Pogba has his time now to prove he was right regarding Jose and that we are better without him. My only hope is we don't boo the man who bought us a few cups and the best part was Europa. He shouldn't be booed, that would terribly disappoint me.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
A bit generalistic and no where close to the truth if were looking back over 9 months I am afraid, we have been playing shite football for some time.
I wasn't alluding to their preferred styles of play (although both are very different) more their personalities and general management techniques. Life under Jose will be entirely different from the relative comfort they enjoyed under Poch. If performances do not improve and results along with them, Jose will place the blame at the feet of everyone but himself, publically shaming certain players and taking a swipe at the club's history and success over the years - fortunately for you that last part does not apply to Spurs.

Jesus, I didn't even hear about Pochettino getting fired so this is all quite surrealistic.

As for Mourinho, I don't think he's over the hill as a manager, results were pretty good at United until he deliberately sabotaged the start of his third season because he didn't get the transfers he wanted.

It's just that with his personality things can get toxic so quick, if I were advising him I'd have been adamant that he had to take a nice sabatical on a tropical island until the summer of 2020 before even thinking to get back into management. Maybe even wait until 2021, have a fresh start in Italy or something.

Somehow I don't feel he will even last three years at Spurs.
This didn't ring any alarm bells for Levy?

I'm shocked anyone in their right mind would even consider the idea of employing Jose after his last three stints in the management chair.

joso157

Hopefully Martial bags a hat trick when they come to OT next month, sorry Jose...THATS what really happens when he plays through the middle

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
My point is that he's made poch his convenient idiot in all this. The philosophy and constrictions he's had to work under for Levy, turns out it didn't have to be that way with a sexier manager on board.

It's the pay that hits me though. He signed an extension 18 months ago. Turns out levy is happy paying double that for someone else.
If the rumour is true, you have a point. The wage is the true indicator of how someone is valued and it seems that Pochettino wasn't valued all that much by Levy.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Jose Has a proven track record of winning even during his bad spells he wins, that's why he gets the salary hes getting. For all Poch's philosophy which yes I bought into he won nothing. Hopefully Levy's transfer spending matches Jose's salary.

lysglimt

Scout
Hopefully Martial bags a hat trick when they come to OT next month, sorry Jose...THATS what really happens when he plays through the middle
Shaw scoring the Winner - and Fred being MOTM. Would be kinda funny

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sabbatical breaks can change a person.

I'm sure he has some new outlook on the game after being a pundit..
Jose has been in and out of the management chair more than can remember.

I mean, how many sabbaticals does it take for a man to change his ways?

passing-wind

Mourinho is more likely to get short term success in comparison to long term. He's had the same player issues at Madrid then Chelsea and then with us. He doesn't learn.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If the rumour is true, you have a point. The wage is the true indicator of how someone is valued and it seems that Pochettino wasn't valued all that much by Levy.
Poch is his own agent, why the feck would Levy offer Poch more than he was going to accept, laughable argument.

ChrisNelson

People are talking about Poch out, Mourinho in like it's the biggest scandal in football. It's absolutely far from it.

A lot of Spurs fans will tell you they were lucky to get as far as the Final last season in the UCL.

They lost 13 games last season and finished sandwiched a point behind Chelsea and one ahead of Arsenal. These are 2 teams which in my opinion of which they should have been a few points clear.

This season they sit 14th after pretty much a third of the season, battered in the League Cup and just about scraping through their UCL Group.

And put it whichever way you like, although he's a good manager, the best will always be judged on trophies. And he has won none with Spurs.

Are they likely to win one this season? The likelihood is high that they won't.

I think that Poch will pick up another top job and he will probably go on and win something in the future, he's still a relatively young manager.

But if you take everything in to account it just seems like things have gone a bit stale there and needed shaking up. And there is no one better to do that than Jose.

Yes he will ruffle feathers, the fans might not like the playing style and he almost certainly won't be there in 2 and a half years.

But the chances are by then he will have won them something, even if it's just an FA Cup to get the monkey off their back.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I wasn't alluding to their preferred styles of play (although both are very different) more their personalities and general management techniques. Life under Jose will be entirely different from the relative comfort they enjoyed under Poch. If performances do not improve and results along with them, Jose will place the blame at the feet of everyone but himself, publically shaming certain players and taking a swipe at the club's history and success over the years - fortunately for you that last part does not apply to Spurs.

This didn't ring any alarm bells for Levy?

I'm shocked anyone in their right mind would even consider the idea of employing Jose after his last three stints in the management chair.
According to The Athletic, the players had begun to hate life under Poch.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Absolutely.

Poch has been made the scapegoat here.

Judas

Open to offers
Did Jose say any disrespectful things about Spurs in the past? He must have done surely.

This will be fun to watch, I think for a short period of times Spurs will be absolutely flying under him, and this place will be messy and even more unbearable than it already is.

Judas

Open to offers
The general consensus is they can't stand the man but as he's a serial winner they'd take him. Good luck with that.
I seem to remember a similar feeling with plenty on here.

I think for Spurs its a brilliant appointment if they want to get some trophies, but in terms of the long term planning and the overall style I thought they were after, it places it firmly in the bin, which is bizarre.

ExecutionerWasp001

I think money is now his main motivation. He's been banging on constantly about only coming back when he's offered the right job. He is not a stupid man & surely knows Spurs isn't it.

Kearnkoff69

People are getting their knickers in a twist over nothing. It's Jose, we all know the drill. Spurs will probably see a boost in their play till the end of the season, they'll likely win some sort of silverware next year, and he'll have run them into the ground by year 3. No amount of time away from football will change who Jose is and I, for one, preemptively extend my sympathies to the Spurs fans in our midst for the absolute meltdown that's going to hit your club in a couple of years.

Johan07

Poch had lost the dressing room, there was no come back for him. There was no point in keeping him, Levy and Jose have known each other for a long time. Jose may have changed his ways who knows? Will either be a success or an complete cluster feck, I am excited and nervous. I liked Poch a lot but his cryptic press conferences had started to annoy me and a lot of other fans. I wish him well where ever he goes, but time to move on.
I dunno, seems like I have heard this before. A couple of times.
a) Mourinho goes to Real and everyone is like: oh, now Mourinho will have to play offensive football since its Real.
Instead he set up probably the greatest counterattacking side in world football ever for one season, and then spectacularly failed when things started to go south and the players were not happy to park the bus and trying to kick the shit out of Barcelona in the big games.
b) Then he goes back to Chelsea and their fans are like: oh, now he has learned some stuff and will play more offensive football. He of course does the opposite, wins the league by playing like Stoke, and then gets fired the year after starting to lose games playing like that.
c) Then we hire him and 90 percent of the Caf is like: oh, finally Mourinho has gotten the job he always wanted. Now he will embrace Uniteds tradition of attacking football and giving youth a chance... That did not really happen did it? He bought Lukaku, Matic and stayed with Fellaini as the core of the team and played the worst football in United history.

And you really think he will suddenly have changed his "ways" now? You know what you get with Mourinho. He will park the bus, wont press the ball, cover spaces instead, play physically and try to counter teams. Its what he does, and tbf its what has made him successful.
This idea that he will "change" has to be disproven by now.

Not to sound to negative I am really glad that he is back in the PL. This season has been lacking of drama. That he will contribute as well as his playing style.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
People are talking about Poch out, Mourinho in like it's the biggest scandal in football. It's absolutely far from it.

A lot of Spurs fans will tell you they were lucky to get as far as the Final last season in the UCL.

They lost 13 games last season and finished sandwiched a point behind Chelsea and one ahead of Arsenal. These are 2 teams which in my opinion of which they should have been a few points clear.

This season they sit 14th after pretty much a third of the season, battered in the League Cup and just about scraping through their UCL Group.

And put it whichever way you like, although he's a good manager, the best will always be judged on trophies. And he has won none with Spurs.

Are they likely to win one this season? The likelihood is high that they won't.

I think that Poch will pick up another top job and he will probably go on and win something in the future, he's still a relatively young manager.

But if you take everything in to account it just seems like things have gone a bit stale there and needed shaking up. And there is no one better to do that than Jose.

Yes he will ruffle feathers, the fans might not like the playing style and he almost certainly won't be there in 2 and a half years.

But the chances are by then he will have won them something, even if it's just an FA Cup to get the monkey off their back.
The monkey's bigger than that. A cup might keep them quiet but it's PL they need....badly

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I dunno, seems like I have heard this before. A couple of times.
a) Mourinho goes to Real and everyone is like: oh, now Mourinho will have to play offensive football since its Real.
Instead he set up probably the greatest counterattacking side in world football ever for one season, and then spectacularly failed when things started to go south and the players were not happy to park the bus and trying to kick the shit out of Barcelona in the big games.
b) Then he goes back to Chelsea and their fans are like: oh, now he has learned some stuff and will play more offensive football. He of course does the opposite, wins the league by playing like Stoke, and then gets fired the year after starting to lose games playing like that.
c) Then we hire him and 90 percent of the Caf is like: oh, finally Mourinho has gotten the job he always wanted. Now he will embrace Uniteds tradition of attacking football and giving youth a chance... That did not really happen did it? He bought Lukaku, Matic and stayed with Fellaini as the core of the team and played the worst football in United history.

And you really think he will suddenly have changed his "ways" now? You know what you get with Mourinho. He will park the bus, wont press the ball, cover spaces instead, play physically and try to counter teams. Its what he does, and tbf its what has made him successful.
This idea that he will "change" has to be disproven by now.

Not to sound to negative I am really glad that he is back in the PL. This season has been lacking of drama. That he will contribute as well as his playing style.
I know all that, its why I said "who knows".