Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joseph_p

By the way, will there be a press conference with Mou or do we have to wait for match day?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It's just such a massive jolt from one "philosophy" (for lack of a better word) to another. They've spent years building a team under one managers vision and had success with it (yes, i know they didn't win anything), and now they've made a complete 180. Also, we've seen how Jose struggles to work with players from a certain generation, and this is a squad that needs a rebuild as opposed to one that's ready for short term success (which is one reason why you would appoint someone like Jose) and i'm not sure that he's the guy who can do such a rebuild.

All very bizarre.

Josep Dowling

He will win a trophy but it will be a smaller trophy like the FA cup and League cup. He will then use that to justify his appointment and that he did a better job than Poch. Poch's downfall it seems was prioritising the league and the Champions League every season. Now loads of fans are using that against him for not winning a trophy.

Jose only the won League Cup and Europa League with us because our league form was so bad he started using his strongest 11 in the cups to save his job.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
By the way, will there be a press conference with Mou or do we have to wait for match day?
I would say there is a presser or something today or tomorrow.

It's just such a massive jolt from one "philosophy" (for lack of a better word) to another. They've spent years building a team under one managers vision and had success with it (yes, i know they didn't win anything), and now they've made a complete 180. Also, we've seen how Jose struggles to work with players from a certain generation, and this is a squad that needs a rebuild as opposed to one that's ready for short term success (which is one reason why you would appoint someone like Jose) and i'm not sure that he's the guy who can do such a rebuild.

All very bizarre.
I can only imagine that now the stadium is built and more money is coming in that ENIC are planning on investing more on the squad, again I cant see Jose coming in being told that there will be minimum investment. Poch was told that and was part of the reason he came aboard.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think it will go similarly to how he did here. Periods of it looking a decent appointment early on, and then several months of circling the drain.

The positive press it is getting is bizarre though. Have they forgotten how his last 2 jobs ended?

Cliche Guevara

He’d have done a better job with that peak Spurs squad than Pochettino no doubt.

They’d have been a fecking machine!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This could actually turn out really well.. Spurs have a better squad than us, he'll be living in London with his family, had good time out..

I'd Jose has the fire in his belly and doesn't self implode within 3 years it could be interesting, Spurs imo have the personel to play how Jose's Madrid team played

But this isn't Spurs of a few years ago when everyone was at their peak and they were one of the best teams in the league. If he came in then, i could see him having the short term success that he's known for. But this team needs a bit of a rebuild. They have players who clearly don't want to be there and have run their contracts down. He may sort them out this season, but where do they go after that? That's what i find weird. He's not exactly known for his long term approach.

Neon_Neon

Spurs are desperate for some silverware....any silverware.

Maybe Mourinho is the man for the job?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I would say there is a presser or something today or tomorrow.

I can only imagine that now the stadium is built and more money is coming in that ENIC are planning on investing more on the squad, again I cant see Jose coming in being told that there will be minimum investment. Poch was told that and was part of the reason he came aboard.
Perhaps, but would Jose be the man to rebuild a team and plan for the long term? If what you say is true and you were going to be investing funds into the squad for the long term, then you can't do much better than Poch.

I know things have gone sour and perhaps it was inevitable that he went. Maybe things got to the point where it became untenable and he just had to go. Obviously i'm not a Spurs fan so my perspective is very different, but if you got funds to build a team for the long term with promises of players coming in and others going out, Poch is your man. Jose isn't, imo.

I think he'll sort you out this season, though. Just not sure where it goes from there.

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
He'll do his usual, win the League Cup by playing the first team right from R1, then claim he's the greatest.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I expect Spurs to win silverware before us with Jose in charge there.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Perhaps, but would Jose be the man to rebuild a team and plan for the long term? If what you say is true and you were going to be investing funds into the squad for the long term, then you can't do much better than Poch.

I know things have gone sour and perhaps it was inevitable that he went. Maybe things got to the point where it became untenable and he just had to go. Obviously i'm not a Spurs fan so my perspective is very different, but if you got funds to build a team for the long term with promises of players coming in and others going out, Poch is your man. Jose isn't, imo.

I think he'll sort you out this season, though. Just not sure where it goes from there.
I am just coming up for reasons why Jose would come, I don't think we need a complete rebuild to be fair, just a new back 4 and possibly keeper depending on Hugo's injury.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I seem to remember a similar feeling with plenty on here.

I think for Spurs its a brilliant appointment if they want to get some trophies, but in terms of the long term planning and the overall style I thought they were after, it places it firmly in the bin, which is bizarre.
It smells of a bit of a panic move to me. They've got their shiny new stadium to pay for and without CL football they could be in real trouble. I honestly don't think Levy is thinking of the future but more in the here and now which if I was a Spurs fan would be very worrying. Could set them back years when they could of been on the brink of consolidating themselves with top 4-6. Definitely going to be fun watching as an outsider though.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Tbh I think @roonster09 is being harsh with you but regarding Maguire that's untrue. He's part of a much improved defence at United and is money well spent for the present and long term. Given your current situation I'm certain you'd cut off your left testicle to have him in your back 4 right about now!
Maguire himself is an upgrade on Smalling but, as I said at the time, spending £80m on him meant you didn't have the funds to sort out other areas of your team, which is why you had to get rid of Lukaku and Sanchez before bringing anyone else in, which you then failed to do.

As it happens I wouldn't want Maguire at City. I would have been fine with us signing him but he wouldn't be making any difference to our current predicament. He'd be down as one of the worst signings of the season because our back four are constantly being exposed by a midfield that's not doing its job.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

All very bizarre.
I actually think Pochettino's Philosophy & Mourinho's one are quite similar.

Pochettino has used Lambert, Llorente, Osvaldo, Kane like strikers as his main forwards & Jose will do the same.

Sissoko, Wanyama, Ndombele play with that grit and strength in midfield that Jose loved from his Chelsea day's with Essien and Co.

Dier can also play in midfield but I reckon he might drop in to defence whilst Jose has some experience at the back to work with too from his defenders, fullbacks to goal keepers.

Whilst not exactly the same - delle alli on his best season played like a goal scoring Lampard behind Drogba too. If not comparable to him then he can play a bit like Oscar too. Eriksen is a good CAM even if its for the last season.

I'd say the difference between Pochettino and Pep or Klopp is bigger than the difference between him and Jose.

Dinghy

Can't stand the guy, but I think he'll do well there short term as this Spurs-squad is a much better fit for him than LVG's United-squad. Going to be interesting to see who he will target on the transfer market as their squad is ageing and Mou only likes experienced players.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I actually think Pochettino's Philosophy & Mourinho's one are quite similar.

Pochettino has used Lambert, Llorente, Osvaldo, Kane like strikers as his main forwards & Jose will do the same.

Sissoko, Wanyama, Ndombele play with that grit and strength in midfield that Jose loved from his Chelsea day's with Essien and Co.

Dier can also play in midfield but I reckon he might drop in to defence whilst Jose has some experience at the back to work with too from his defenders, fullbacks to goal keepers.

Whilst not exactly the same - delle alli on his best season played like a goal scoring Lampard behind Drogba too. If not comparable to him then he can play a bit like Oscar too. Eriksen is a good CAM even if its for the last season.

I'd say the difference between Pochettino and Pep or Klopp is bigger than the difference between him and Jose.
Precisely.

No one complained when Poch used route one tactics with Llorente against Ajax for instance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't wait for him to start waving 3 fingers at Old Trafford. Couldn't have been a better time to cleanse cult Mourinho

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Still a good manager, but his best days are behind him so to speak. We were lucky that we arguably had his best stint, along with Inter. I still rate Jose's CV over Pep's too

Few years back i'd have thought him going to Spurs would put them seriously in the mix for the title, now i do not.

One reason for that is because he wont get backed enough. If Chelsea and Utd wouldn't back him how he wanted, Spurs certainly aren't going to. That is one of the big reasons things just become a shit storm with him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He'll do his usual, win the League Cup by playing the first team right from R1, then claim he's the greatest.
He probably thinks he's the greatest due to the 25 trophies he's picked up as manager.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair to Jose in that quote, Spurs fans probably hated him 48 hrs ago due to his connection with us

Foxbatt

With someone like Kane he will do a better job than expected. He has players like that gives a solid foundation and players up front who can create on their own too. He will win trophies there but whether he is going to last long enough to win the PL or the CL is another story.

Judas

Open to offers
Expect him to get a reasonable reception when he comes back, wasn't he getting his name sung at OT this season at one point? Or have I lost my marbles.