Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
One of Mourinho's worst traits in his time with us was his very public fallouts with many players. He did it with Pogba, Shaw, Martial - all players that are now important to our team. I understand that he's frustrated, but his consistent act of throwing players under the bus with public criticism becomes very tiresome, deserved or not. Managers should deal with that in private - it helps no one and really only screams of Mourinho's fragile ego after losses, which is weird because I remember at his last Chelsea spell he'd actively bring the attention to himself to detract from his players.

SAF for example never did that, despite his well documented bollockings he'd give players in the dressing room. I think really in the end the public criticisms foster a toxic mentality where players lose their confidence and trust in a manager.

It's also telling that players like Martial looked poor under Mourinho in terms of work rate, but his work rate has now significantly improved. I think it was Giggs who said that SAF didn't criticise some players directly in the dressing room if he felt they didn't have the mentality to take it, and he gave Nani as an example, but players like Neville and Giggs would get a bollocking. I just think overall Mourinho's man management isn't what it needs to be in the modern game
This is again because he is one of those managers that has one formation and one type of tactic. He will not try to fix a formation that best suits his players but will find players that suits his best tactic.

He will smell the arse of Lukaku all night wrong but will only spout bullshit about players like Martial and Rashford.

It's hardly got anything to do with quality of the player but whether or not it fits his formation and tactic.

Today he said he wanted to make 11 changes, not because the players are crap but because the players are not suiting his formation & tactic.

Bale and Alli are not his type of player & they will suffer whilst he is there.

Machine Elements

Seems like the distance between maximas and minimas of Jose’s boom bust cycle is shorter now. Normally it’s something like that:

Season 1: build the bus
Season 2: park the bus
Season 3: throw players under the bus

It’s not even 12 months into his tenure at Spurs and he already started to throw players under the bus. As you can see from his words and his Instagram post he’s only interested in saving his ego at this point. He’s become a parody of himself.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Plenty of players in the squad are playing out of their skin for him regularly. There is a determination/attitude issue with some players though that has been evident for the past couple of years. I think one or two will be shown the door soon.
Dele in particular has been mostly rubbish for 2 years now.
Whenever I see something like this, I'm reminded of that famous quote :D
Those who would give up promising Youngsters, to attain a little temporary Success, deserve neither the Youngsters nor the Success.
I'm sure you agree that in Dele you've a unique player in world football. There were good reasons on why a team with Mbappe and Neymar, wanted to sign him in the summer.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Meh as much as them losing last night was funny and as sure as I am that Levy will tire of him eventually I think theres something different this time about Mourinhos current job. It seems Spurs and Levy are just a better fit for him and for the most part he appears to be getting his way with players and control. He will still feck it up but it may take a bit longer this time.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Plenty of players in the squad are playing out of their skin for him regularly. There is a determination/attitude issue with some players though that has been evident for the past couple of years. I think one or two will be shown the door soon.
Dele in particular has been mostly rubbish for 2 years now.
Ahhh Balaks.....you sweet summer child. We were once like you

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Disgusting usual behaviour by Jose. The reason he’s been an overall failure is because he is not interested in ever building a SQUAD. His only focus is a XI which obviously causes a lot of tension in his teams. That’s why he never lasts past 3 seasons.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I have no idea if he was right about your players but i think he is right to say it tonight
It's not about being right. It's about whether it's right to say it. His last few jobs suggest that his man management abilities has gone down the toilet so I'd say no, it's unnecessary and divisive to criticize your players in public.

But then again it's Mourinho. It's always about being seen as being right, with him.

windco

It's not about being right. It's about whether it's right to say it. His last few jobs suggest that his man management abilities has gone down the toilet so I'd say no, it's unnecessary and divisive to criticize your players in public.

But then again it's Mourinho. It's always about being seen as being right, with him.
But i don't think having a manager who never slate their players publicly is a good things though, if you forgot we are still trophyless under Ole.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I'm sure you agree that in Dele you've a unique player in world football. There were good reasons on why a team with Mbappe and Neymar, wanted to sign him in the summer.
Unique player ? :lol: There is plenty of lazy average footballers who showed signs of talent for a season. Those reasons are mainly being bent over the desk of FFP thus having no way to acquire their usual targets + an ego fight between Leonardo and Tuchel which left the club with an unbalanced squad.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
One of Mourinho's worst traits in his time with us was his very public fallouts with many players. He did it with Pogba, Shaw, Martial - all players that are now important to our team. I understand that he's frustrated, but his consistent act of throwing players under the bus with public criticism becomes very tiresome, deserved or not. Managers should deal with that in private - it helps no one and really only screams of Mourinho's fragile ego after losses, which is weird because I remember at his last Chelsea spell he'd actively bring the attention to himself to detract from his players.

SAF for example never did that, despite his well documented bollockings he'd give players in the dressing room. I think really in the end the public criticisms foster a toxic mentality where players lose their confidence and trust in a manager.

It's also telling that players like Martial looked poor under Mourinho in terms of work rate, but his work rate has now significantly improved. I think it was Giggs who said that SAF didn't criticise some players directly in the dressing room if he felt they wouldn't respond to it well, and he gave Nani as an example, but players like Neville and Giggs would get a bollocking. I just think overall Mourinho's man management isn't what it needs to be in the modern game
I think you lot will only waste your time trying to say the truth. It’s something the Spurs fans in here don’t want to hear. I believe their 6-1 victory over us has made them very hard to acknowledge the big problems of Mourinho. Only ‘’time’’ will make them understand.

prateik

Friendly warning to Spurs fans..
its fine while its all going well.
The moment it tours sour and you have to pick between Jose and anyone else.. Levy, the players, the coaching staff.. anyone.. pick the other guy

Never.. ever.. back Jose in those scenarios.. He is always creating fall guys to deflect from his failings.

RedDevil@84

I have no idea if he was right about your players but i think he is right to say it tonight
I don't really buy into all this "throws players under the bus to save himself" nonsense. Because at the end of the day if the team plays badly, it reflects on the coach. There is no escape, whatever he tells to the press. It is not like the next clubs hiring him will say "Oh!! He fecked the last 2 clubs. But that's ok. It is the players and not him, because Jose told so"

My observations on Jose's approach (need not be true)

He thinks criticizing players will make them angry and make them try to prove to him he is wrong. He thinks provoking a reaction is a brilliant way to get the best out of the lot.
Unfortunately this does not work with every player. Especially the modern footballer in the world of media hype and agents bigging up the player to get the next big deal and all. There is a good chance the player would want out rather than try to prove anything to this manager. Different players need different kind of management. But it will be difficult to get that from Jose.

If a player does not give a reaction or is sulking, then Jose kind of believes that he is not worthy enough to be in the team. He has no problem becoming more hostile and chances for the player start to dwindle.

Jose says weird things in the press, blames hundreds of things, would blame refs, VAR, scheduling etc etc. The idea is to get the players to believe that the world is against us, also called siege mentality. This he believes will get his players all fired up. Same thing with fans. He believes them buying this mentality will make sure they get behind the team lot more ferociously.
This is a useful tool, but the problem is that players can get fed up of this soon. They will feel tired of all this artificial fight with everyone else. Which is one major reason for his 3rd season syndrome.

jackal&hyde

He is 100% right though
He clearly was not in the case of United, he just didn't know how to use Rashford and Martial, as has been proven since. Could be the same for Spurs now and besides, players with few games under their belt and with low confidence need a bit of time. Throwing them under his buss is the worst thing possible for the team. He is deflecting blame, nothing more imo.

pass.pass.pass

Jose is An Twerp, isn't he?
Sorry :)

Seriously, I hope for the sake of the health of Spurs fans that he at least wins them something this year (it would be their first trophy since Berbatov was at the club!). Because by this time next season, the club will be looking for a new manager.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When team wins it's because of Jose, when team loses it's because players are not good enough and have too many holes or their attitude is not good enough.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
You think guys like Dele performed well enough to prove they should be first choice? I certainly don't. He said prior to the match that this was a game for guys outside the first eleven to grab the opportunity with both hands. They completely failed to do that.
But that the problem with Jose, and he always did this, long before us and Spurs and it has always come back to bite him in the arse. He picks his favorites and (seemingly) treats them like his favorite sons where as some of the fringe players are treated as the black sheep of the family

And i am not talking about game time here, although hes wearing blinkers regarding some players, but publicly criticizing these fringe players after a bad game is incredibly daft imo If you are relegated to the bench all the time, get a chance , dont play that well and then get hung out to dry in the media your confidence is going to be in the gutters. Long term this also creates a potentially toxic and competitive culture instead of a cooperative one.

I've experienced this kind of "sink or swim" leadership style first hand and i can assure you it does not create a very pleasant work environment. If you lose Dele Ali because of this i am 100% certain you are going to be sorry in a few years

Bondi77

I am just glad he is no longer at our club and I was massively surprised when he got another gig at a top Premier League club.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
When team wins it's because of Jose, when team loses it's because players are not good enough and have too many holes or their attitude is not good enough.
Yep, their fans are in sync with this too. Just like their manager wants!

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
They signed Chopu moting too. Doesn't mean anything.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Who's he even talking about though? Its not like he doesn't need them, he's one Lucas Moura injury away from needing Bergwijn, one midfield injury and Lo Celso will be starting games. He was singing Bale's praises before the game. Other than Alli, who's in the dog house, these aren't really even fringe players.

windco

He clearly was not in the case of United, he just didn't know how to use Rashford and Martial, as has been proven since. Could be the same for Spurs now and besides, players with few games under their belt and with low confidence need a bit of time. Throwing them under his buss is the worst thing possible for the team. He is deflecting blame, nothing more imo.
Hugging and cuddling players isn't really a good thing either, i think it's not right to say "told you so" to Mourinho method or idea . Friendly reminder that we haven't yet to prove him wrong, not when we are trophyless since he left us , there is only way to prove him wrong and that is by winning trophy with a different way than his idea of how to manage a football club.

I don't really buy into all this "throws players under the bus to save himself" nonsense. Because at the end of the day if the team plays badly, it reflects on the coach. There is no escape, whatever he tells to the press. It is not like the next clubs hiring him will say "Oh!! He fecked the last 2 clubs. But that's ok. It is the players and not him, because Jose told so"
but that’s exactly why he got the spurs job. He would be telling levy that it was the players at both Utd and Chelsea that weren’t good enough, that the board didn’t “back him”. He did what he could, and that what he was able to win a trophy, but in the longer term the players weren’t good enough.

Levy knows what he’s getting, the gamble is whether he can get a trophy or two before he self combusts.

Traub

Meh as much as them losing last night was funny and as sure as I am that Levy will tire of him eventually I think theres something different this time about Mourinhos current job. It seems Spurs and Levy are just a better fit for him and for the most part he appears to be getting his way with players and control. He will still feck it up but it may take a bit longer this time.
Truth is he's prestige and pedigree is bigger than Spurs making them a good match - he's probably the most talented manager they've had in the past 30 years. So he will get a lot more leeway at a club like Spurs. I'm not trying to knock Spurs, but every Spurs supporting mate I know is over the moon with having such a big manager at their club. Contrast this with United fans when we signed Mourinho - there were many who thought we could do better.

Real Name

I read somewhere here he's more cheerful and happy at Spurs. Basically it's all the same as with us. When things are going good he's all right, funny, good pressers, nice instagram posts. As soon as something bad happens, bad game or something he throws the players under the bus. Even now when they're generally doing good.

jackal&hyde

Hugging and cuddling players isn't really a good thing either, i think it's not right to say "told you so" to Mourinho method or idea . Friendly reminder that we haven't yet to prove him wrong, not when we are trophyless since he left us , there is only way to prove him wrong and that is by winning trophy with a different way than his idea of how to manage a football club.
We play miles better and the players he thought were not good enough are some of the best players in the World now, Rashford in particular.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
And that’s exactly the reaction he expects from supporters. However it’s not long before they see through the facade he presents. You remind so much of fans on the Caf that used to buy into his self serving claptrap.

BFernandes

It's a long hard season, he's going to need those fringe players. Can't imagine they'll be running through brick walls for him when called upon again.

zenith

Dear God, he is dour and toxic. No way does he last 3 seasons at spurs.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yep we did. Antwerp were by far the better side tonight for sure.
Man Utd and West Ham match aside, the football has been underwhelming. I still think Spurs will make a top 6 season.

Not being a José fan I have to say people overrate Spurs squad a bit. Yes, they have Kane and Son, but they also have a demotivated Dele, a luxury loan on Bale, and they have to rely on Sissoko or Winks for the midfield. Sissoko without the ball is a total liability, and Winks lacks anticipation and being aggressive.

Reguillon was a good deal, though.

But bare in mind that Antwerp is a very well organized team, and are in a good patch of results after a shaky start. Ivan Leko knows how to assemble a very cohesive 3x5x2 who turns into 5x3x1x1, making it hard to break and ables them to defend on the middle and width.

AneRu

People shouldn't forget that we started the 2017-18 season quite well with him and progressively regressed in performances in the second half of that season. This is how it goes with Jose, all good when the results are great but won't take long to turn toxic because he just doesn't accept responsibility.

Wilt

:lol:

Loads of predictable comments on the (I hate) Jose Mourinho thread

LVGSdive

Jose's favourite players lost a 3-0 lead to West Ham. Keep up the good work agent Jose.

Flexdegea

Honestly mate getting serious Deja Vu with your comments.

Feels like I was there myself at one stage.

It will defo become a Meme like the scouse boom bust cycle with Mourinho at clubs, it has happened that often.

Last edited: