Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wilt

If you don’t hate him you aren’t really a proper Manchester Utd fan in my eyes. Yeh guy was a cancer at this club and it’s only thanks to the fantastic job Ole has done that we have recovered and now look a serious team.
How old are you ...7 or 8 maybe?

Mourinho the “cancer” who In two and a bit seasons brought us our highest Prem finish post SAF and two trophies prior to his premeditated sacking, any of which today’s team would give their left nut to achieve.

As previously posted, Mourinho is an absolute fecker, but don’t underestimate him. Like or hate him, the prem would be a lot more boring without him.

As for your pathetically childish “fan” comment, I’ve supported Utd through thick and thin since the seventies. So stick that where the sun don’t shine (hopefully you’re old enough to understand that)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And he did the same with De Bruyne which culminated with the player asking for public training sessions.
Didn't know this, just searched for it. KdB is very straight forward and called out Jose's BS.

"It is true that he said in the press that I wasn't doing what was needed in training," De Bruyne told France Football. "It was easy to say that because there was no-one to check it - the training sessions were closed to the public. But everyone knows I am not like that.

"I never let anyone put me down. I say what I have to say, with respect of course. But at that moment, I couldn't do anything because he would have said I was lying and afterwards he would have used it.

"Did I ask for training to be done in public? I said it, yes, but not to him personally."

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Explain this point. I'd like to hear the conspiracy.
Is that the one about him deliberately playing teams he 'knows' will lose to ensure he gets sacked? I've already noticed a hint of that being suggested in some of the responses to me daring to support him - 'setting up players to fail', etc.

Wilt

Oh I see, you mean Jose was looking for the sack. Gotcha, thought you meant Ed was plotting against him.
Yes that‘s what I meant, although it may have been a combination of the two ;)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
How old are you ...7 or 8 maybe?

Mourinho the “cancer” who In two and a bit seasons brought us our highest Prem finish post SAF and two trophies prior to his premeditated sacking, any of which today’s team would give their left nut to achieve.

As previously posted, Mourinho is an absolute fecker, but don’t underestimate him. Like or hate him, the prem would be a lot more boring without him.

As for your pathetically childish “fan” comment, I’ve supported Utd through thick and thin since the seventies. So stick that where the sun don’t shine (hopefully you’re old enough to understand that)
He showed the club absolutely no respect and left us in an awful situation despite his 'amazing' second-place finish which he bangs on about. What makes it even more infuriating is that he still even after being a complete failure has a cult-like following amongst some Utd fans who can see no wrong in what he did and will find a way to absolve him of all blame despite the fact he was given hundreds of millions of pounds and alienated all our best players.

The truth is Man Utd plays a massive part in my life and Mourinho managed to suck away all the joy from the game. He created divisions within the team and fanbase and the whole atmosphere was rotten. I can't think of a single redeeming factor behind his reign and thus to me he absolutely was a cancer at the club. I just don't understand after all of that people can still like him and rate him as a manager, if that makes me childish, so be it but to me its just fact.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
He showed the club absolutely no respect and left us in an awful situation despite his 'amazing' second-place finish which he bangs on about. What makes it even more infuriating is that he still even after being a complete failure has a cult-like following amongst some Utd fans who can see no wrong in what he did and will find a way to absolve him of all blame despite the fact he was given hundreds of millions of pounds and alienated all our best players.

The truth is Man Utd plays a massive part in my life and Mourinho managed to suck away all the joy from the game. He created divisions within the team and fanbase and the whole atmosphere was rotten. I can't think of a single redeeming factor behind his reign and thus to me he absolutely was a cancer at the club. I just don't understand after all of that people can still like him and rate him as a manager, if that makes me childish, so be it but to me its just fact.
Yeah I see this narrative, result is all that matters whenever someone defends Mourinho. That just shows people who back him are shortsighted. Begin a manager is not just about trophies, it's about culture, philosophy, and making history. Mourinho failed in all of them except trophy but even that he didn't win a major one which Manchester United should really care about.

Call me crazy but at least Van Gaal did promote our youth players into the team which is a core philosophy of the club

DRM

So when the team plays well and wins trophies, he comes up with "I won CL" "I won PL" "Respect Respect Respect" but when team plays poorly, players should be criticized in the press conference?
Exactly this, narcissistic prick it's all about him

Wilt

Well obviousy you‘re an Ole fan? ...though this is not about Ole.

So you hate Mourinho and didn’t get any joy from Utd winning a couple of trophies? As a Utd supporter, I find that very sad and hard to believe. Personally, I love to see Utd winning trophies and I couldn’t give a toss who the manager was.

Each to their own.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I had no idea about this. Did KDB ask for this so everyone could see how Jose picks on players in training?
No, José said that KDB wasn't training well enough. So KDB asked Chelsea to organize public training sessions in order to show that he wasn't training poorly and that Mourinho was full of it.

Irwin99

His man-management style is horribly risky. I felt quite negative towards Ole's style/soundbites in the media last season ("these boys are improving' 'culture' 'we're building something') and thought a lot of it was just meaningless, but it must be infinitely better for a player to hear that than 'now you see why I don't pick these players'.

IAmAWinner

If you don’t hate him you aren’t really a proper Manchester Utd fan in my eyes. Yeh guy was a cancer at this club and it’s only thanks to the fantastic job Ole has done that we have recovered and now look a serious team.
What? Our most successful era post Saf came under him. Solskjaer has done feck all compared to him.

RashyForPM

‘Hate’, ‘not a proper Manchester United fan’, ‘cancer’. All this in 2 sentences. Are you 10 years old?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
What? Our most successful era post Saf came under him. Solskjaer has done feck all compared to him.

Mourinho only cares about his own legacy, thus he does what he can to won trophies before finally having a meltdown and leaving. He left the club a mess with no future planning. Yes we won the EL and LC but at the cost of setting the club back even further.

The club was a bit of a mess with Sanchez being on far too much money and hard to shift, Lukaku on big money and looked disinterested. Matic looked over the hill. Also if he had his way, we would have had Perisic and god knows how many other players the wrong side of 30. He also would have sold Martial.

Mourinho left Inter in a mess when he left, players far too old and didn’t care about the future as long as he won stuff for his own legacy.

He will leave Spurs the same and it already looks like it is going that way with his usual throwing players under the bus.

mu4c_20le

In the second year he ended... in 2nd
Which is still the best post-Fergie position in the table
Serious question.. as an outsider, which do you think was more impressive, finishing 2nd that year with Lukaku, Alexis and co, or Ole finishing 3rd without them, albeit with a better defence?

Jose is the luckiest manager around. He never has to take over from Jose. He took over from LVG, in a much much better position, than the shit show OGS had to take over.

I am not a Jose hater. I quite like him, and he’s very charismatic, but when it goes wrong, it goes very very wrong.

Red00012

Had to come on here and see why it has 2 new pages then I see the word “cancer “

Real Name

This post is wrong on so many levels. Also I think the word cancer shouldn't be thrown around like that.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Serious question.. as an outsider, which do you think was more impressive, finishing 2nd that year with Lukaku, Alexis and co, or Ole finishing 3rd without them, albeit with a better defence?
I was not saying what was more impressive or if the situations were similar or not, I was just pointing that factually Mourinho's 2nd year is still the best position in the league after Fergie.

mu4c_20le

I was not saying what was more impressive or if the situations were similar or not, I was just pointing that factually Mourinho's 2nd year is still the best position in the league after Fergie.
Well, you aren't wrong, it's just that when I think back to that season, I certainly don't remember being impressed. Instead, it felt like one of LVg's years, where I felt that the football was slowly eating away at my soul.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Mourinho had taken over a decent squad from LVG that had just won the FA Cup and had a lesser wage bill. Jose took over, signed a load of shit for insane amounts of money and had us close to being a midtable club when he left.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Well, you aren't wrong, it's just that when I think back to that season, I certainly don't remember being impressed. Instead, it felt like one of LVg's years, where I felt that the football was slowly eating away at my soul.
Personally I think Solskajer teams play better but I don't think there's much difference in terms of points collected, I would need a goal and points per game to evaluate that properly.
I think what changes is the perception, and this changes views enormously.

Examples:

Mourinho was always being attacked by being crap with all the money that he invested, and in this people also included transfers before his era, etc.
But Solskajer inherited the squad and had transfer of his own naturally and there's no criticism at all on what he's achieving with a massive budget (he has a 100M€ midfielder and he can't do anything, brrr).

Other examples are the very hard achieved wins, such as being dominated and winning with a single shot on target or something. Both did it but Mourinho was still criticised because it was parking the bus and it was not the United way. Solskajer can walk away with it.

Another thing Mourinho was attacked all the time was that people were always wanting him to play some specific players, like Lingard. As everyone can clearly see Lingard is bad but still people were angry at Mourinho for not using the "youth" more and I was like "can you not see how bad Lingard is"? Then also Matic, that was a genius move to a Mourinho's fault deadwood but then magically again is very good.

With this I'm not saying Mourinho did everything right or that he couldn't do better, I'm just pointing out stuff that to me looks unfair on how you compare them (or fair if you look at their wages).

On the 2nd place imho that was an outstanding feat, your team was bad and you scrapped for it. And people attack him still because it was not exciting or because City ended 200 points above - you can't say with a straight face that City didn't have a massive squad advantage. The gap was a very normal thing.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Personally I think Solskajer teams play better but I don't think there's much difference in terms of points collected, I would need a goal and points per game to evaluate that properly.
I think what changes is the perception, and this changes views enormously.

Examples:

Mourinho was always being attacked by being crap with all the money that he invested, and in this people also included transfers before his era, etc.
But Solskajer inherited the squad and had transfer of his own naturally and there's no criticism at all on what he's achieving with a massive budget (he has a 100M€ midfielder and he can't do anything, brrr).

Other examples are the very hard achieved wins, such as being dominated and winning with a single shot on target or something. Both did it but Mourinho was still criticised because it was parking the bus and it was not the United way. Solskajer can walk away with it.

Another thing Mourinho was attacked all the time was that people were always wanting him to play some specific players, like Lingard. As everyone can clearly see Lingard is bad but still people were angry at Mourinho for not using the "youth" more and I was like "can you not see how bad Lingard is"? Then also Matic, that was a genius move to a Mourinho's fault deadwood but then magically again is very good.

With this I'm not saying Mourinho did everything right or that he couldn't do better, I'm just pointing out stuff that to me looks unfair on how you compare them (or fair if you look at their wages).

On the 2nd place imho that was an outstanding feat, your team was bad and you scrapped for it. And people attack him still because it was not exciting or because City ended 200 points above - you can't say with a straight face that City didn't have a massive squad advantage. The gap was a very normal thing.

I also remember the criticism that Jose wasn’t playing Lingard enough.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Mourinho had taken over a decent squad from LVG that had just won the FA Cup and had a lesser wage bill. Jose took over, signed a load of shit for insane amounts of money and had us close to being a midtable club when he left.
He spent more than enough to be challenging for trophies with us, Mourinho not getting backed will go down as one of the greatest myths in football history.
The only people who seem to think that 2nd place was an outstanding feat are non-United fans, he was completely and utterly carried by a peak David de Gea, we'd have finished outside of the top 4 without him.
Manchester United were City's closest challengers and finished a distant 19 points behind their rivals, but that second-place finish hugely flattered Jose Mourinho's side.

David de Gea was nearly the sole reason for this over-performance, as he conceded only 25 times (excluding penalties and own goals) throughout 17/18, 14 fewer than would have been expected based on the quality of shots he faced (39.3 xG2).

They had only the sixth-best xG process, and, after improving in 16/17 (+0.74 xGD per game), United took a step backwards (+0.36 xGD per game). They were fortunate to finish in the top four, never mind second. Paul Pogba racked up 10 assists from just 4 xA.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
He spent more than enough to be challenging for trophies with us, Mourinho not getting backed will go down as one of the greatest myths in football history.
That is not what I said. What I said is that people criticised Mourinho for his expensive squad but Solskajer in a similar situation has never that amount of criticism.

But imho in his 3rd year he was not supported enough if you aimed to fight for the title because your squad was nowhere near good as City's (and imho still not as good and/or balanced as other rivals).
This isn't an escuse for the terrible third year but yes, I do really thing he wasn't supported enough for the expectations you had.

Mourinho inherited a terrible squad to start with, as a Porto fan I can tell you that was complete dross. I didn't fear any of your players. They were all mediocre except De Gea. If the manager was Mourinho or Solskajer or Guardiola you would need to spend massively anyway because that was just terrible. Look at the dross:

https://www.transfermarkt.pt/manchester-united-fc/startseite/verein/985?saison_id=2015

The only people who seem to think that 2nd place was an outstanding feat are non-United fans, he was completely and utterly carried by a peak David de Gea, we'd have finished outside of the top 4 without him.
And... Solskajer is being carried by Bruno Fernandes?
Without him you would have barely any goals or assists... am I doing this right?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That is not what I said. What I said is that people criticised Mourinho for his expensive squad but Solskajer in a similar situation has never that amount of criticism.

But imho in his 3rd year he was not supported enough if you aimed to fight for the title because your squad was nowhere near good as City's (and imho still not as good and/or balanced as other rivals).
This isn't an escuse for the terrible third year but yes, I do really thing he wasn't supported enough for the expectations you had.

Mourinho inherited a terrible squad to start with, as a Porto fan I can tell you that was complete dross. I didn't fear any of your players. They were all mediocre except De Gea. If the manager was Mourinho or Solskajer or Guardiola you would need to spend massively anyway because that was just terrible. Look at the dross:

https://www.transfermarkt.pt/manchester-united-fc/startseite/verein/985?saison_id=2015

And... Solskajer is being carried by Bruno Fernandes?
Without him you would have barely any goals or assists... am I doing this right?
The initial reply wasn’t to you, it was a general point, that’s why I quoted your comment and replied underneath to seperate the points. And Solskjaer doesn't get criticised for his expensive squad, are you living in a different reality to the rest of us or something? Solskjaer is under constant pressure like every single United manager has been. People aren't calling for Solskjaer's head because he actually looked like he had a plan that extended beyond saving his own skin the following window.

The squad he inherited wasn't great but he didn't get nearly enough out of them, Martial and Rashford were rotation options often overlooked for more expensive flops (of Mourinho's choosing) who are now among our most gifted and porolific players. He then went on to spend an obscene amount of money improving on a squad with some talented players who are still playing a part in this team today. He had a wealth of talent to use at his leisure yet he chose to use his favourites and inevitably got us knocked out of the CL in one of the worst two-legged ties we've ever had the misfortune to be a part of.

Yes, we didn't sign him Maguire after He'd spent £60m odd on Lindelof and Baiily, we also didn't let him swap Martial for Ivan fecking Perisic so thank God we didn't give him free reign to do what he wanted, he spent £89m on a midfielder he fell out with and dropped for Fellaini and a £75m striker he had no idea how to use. He could've signed Messi, it wouldn't have mattered because de Gea's performance dropped down to human levels so he was exposed for how poorly he'd assembled his team with the embarassment of riches at his disposal. The team obviously was half decent considering a number of them still feature in our team that reached 3 semi-finals and finished 3rd. It was not a great achievement for him to finish 2nd with that's squad, the league was weak as piss.

We're performing within expectations since Fernandes arrived, you can pretend all you want that the evidence isn't overwhelmingly against Mourinho being carried by de Gea in the 17/18 season, that's your perogative but you'd be completely wrong.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Solskjaer gets plenty of criticism for loads of reasons, including all the ones you mentioned.