Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You loved Poch, I loved Poch but when i see what Jose is doing i now can see he is on a different level.
Easy to see and totally agree.

:lol: is this a joke post? You are nitpicking Jose best run with Pochettino poorest run due to lack of rebuild that mourinho got in the two windows that followed after the depature. The team got the needed strength in depth that increased everyone's level. Pochettino was only in the bottom when his footballing cycle ended, else he was consistently always in the top
His football cycling evened when Spurs broke its transfer record twice? Your a strange guy. Again what do you make of Harry's comments? U have failed to reply 3 times now.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Easy to see and totally agree.

His football cycling evened when Spurs broke its transfer record twice? Your a strange guy. Again what do you make of Harry's comments? U have failed to reply 3 times now.
Broke its transfer record twice but still in the bottom half of the league when it comes to amount spent. If a club record is £30m, breaking a transfer record is meaningless. Spurs transfer record that was broken was almost the same amount we bought Fred. Also, If there wasn't a rebuild necessary, why did Jose spent so much after his departure? It is weak excuse to say his cycle evened out, when everything after his departure and also historical data prove otherwise. Post Harrt comment. I don't read post often that doesn't quote me. I will respond if I have time and if it rationale.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Triggered? I don't have PTSD and I'm not Ole out in any case.

However, you're well known as a troll and you do contribute to the toxic nature of certain threads.
I don’t agree that Supporting your manager is toxic or trolling. So the above is just your opinion.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Spurs happy to buy into Jose's philosophy, joint best defence in the league along with Leicester and Wolves. And for all this defensive play talk Spurs have scored 21 goals, one less than Chelsea who lead that stat with 22 goals.

He has even got Aurier defending well, which I didnt think was possible. Brought Hojbjerg in to play as the DM in front of the CB pairing. Sissoko the box to box role with Ndombele the attacking midfield role. And the attacking three of Kane, Son, Bale definitely have goals in them.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Eh? Im sure if you asked the majority of Spurs fans they would be happy with top four and getting back in the CL. I think a trophy like a League Cup will be seen as a massive boost but I dont think upper management or the general Spurs fanbase will be in an uproar if Jose gets top four and no trophies.
But this is what I don't get (and some of our fans were guilty of this second time round aswell), whenever the questions asked "why did your club appoint Jose?" the answer is almost always something along the lines of "because he's a serial winner", but then they go on to make excuse after excuse ready in case he doesn't win.

Mou is unapologetic in his methods in that he wins now at any cost, for that type of trade off you have to justify it by winning one of the big two.

If he has another third season meltdown would a league cup really have been worth it? Juande Ramos won the league cup and you'd be hard pressed to find a Spurs fan that looks upon his time fondly.

Also you can bet Jose will want to win it aswell, he'd never admit it publicly but deep down he probably knows this is his only chance of doing it (at Spurs) so you can be sure he'll be putting pressure on himself to do it.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Broke its transfer record twice but still in the bottom half of the league when it comes to amount spent. If a club record is £30m, breaking a transfer record is meaningless. Spurs transfer record that was broken was almost the same amount we bought Fred. Also, If there wasn't a rebuild necessary, why did Jose spent so much after his departure? It is weak excuse to say his cycle evened out, when everything after his departure and also historical data prove otherwise. Post Harrt comment. I don't read post often that doesn't quote me. I will respond if I have time and if it rationale.
Again Harrys comments? 4th time.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Mourinho doing well so far. Most because Spurs following his philosophy. But I can definately see a total meltdown at any time with Mourinho throwing players under the bus and critizise the board. Give it some time and it Will start to get ugly when the results isnt coming.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He bought very badly at Utd whereas at Spurs he inherited 2 of the best forwards in the league, and just added a 3rd in Bale (who we should have signed on loan) that has given the whole squad there a huge lift.
Kane and Son in your team is like having a Van Persie and Rooney in their prime upfront.
Jose had no interest in Van Dijk or Maguire as they were not high profile enough when he arrived, he wanted Galactico signings like Varane for 80 Million but when he couldn't get them, went for Lindelof and Bailey instead.
Spent a fortune on Pogba instead of half the money on Premier league proven talent like Kante.
Went for Mkhitaryan instead of PL proven Mane.
Almost every one of his signings were disasters - Lukaku, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, Bailey,
He didn't have the balls to sign rough diamonds or up and coming players and develop them like Mane, Van Dijk, Kante......... And I think he was miserable living in a hotel room.
If u still think it is first team head coach's job to scout and identify players for transfer then u probably are mistaken. I am sure they are consulted but I am not sure if they have the time take on the scouting duties.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
His players executed his tactics very effectively today. You could say he outfoxed Guardiola, considering we always knew that he was going to play this style of football no matter what. Tottenham looks like his best shot at redemption.

Ajax Forever

Supports
Ajax
After 6 years Mou got Spurs leading the table again.

Maybe it wasn’t Mou after all, but virus and co?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
After 6 years Mou got Spurs leading the table again.

Maybe it wasn’t Mou after all, but virus and co?
So it was Pogba's fault we lost to Sevilla and Mourino said going out early was our "heritage?"

And Pogba's fault the way Jose treated Shaw and others slagging them off?

Time certainly changes people's memories. You'll be saying the Moyes year wasn't "too bad" next.

Let's see where Spurs are by Jan rather than heralding him a peak master in November - 8/9 games in.

DeGea

At the moment, Spurs have men. I am sorry, but you cannot win the league with players who don't have cajones. Men who will go to war and run through brick walls for Jose. They are just at the right point of maturity. Poch did not have the personality to bring them to that final 10% that they needed when he was there. Tactically at his best he was probably as good as Jose, but to win titles and go that extra bit, you need character and personality (which is why SAF was so good). You rarely find a winning manager who has a boring personality (SAF, Paisley, Klopp, Pep, Jose, Ancelotti, Simeone, Clough etc2 were all characters whether you agreed with them or not).

When Jose was here, we did not know how to handle him. Woodward is a politically correct board room kind of guy, and probably eventually found Jose's style unpalatable. We were worried too much about what people think, we pandered to the players (Pogba) too much, rather than trusting the manager and letting him call the shots. Some players were a bit too precious too in my view. Keano would have absolutely destroyed some of them. Woodward basically could have just rallied around Jose and told everyone else, press included, to feck off. We actually had little to lose at that point as we had not won the league for a few years anyway and therefore should have just went all in and bought into Jose's ideas and see where it took us at the end of his contract. Pogba now even with a manager who is so nice and like a buddy to him, is still underperforming so it can't be all Jose's fault.

In Spurs, he now potentially has the players with the right mentality. If he does not cock it up this season and do something stupid, I can see them doing very very well.

This could still of course be part of his second season honeymoon and it could all unravel next year.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How much credit does he take for making Aurier looking like a defender? He’s been impressive

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How much credit does he take for making Aurier looking like a defender? He’s been impressive
Having some competition has really helped focus him. I have been one of his biggest critics but honestly this season he has been first class.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It was a very good win for Spurs and they're doing well. I actually said they'd win in the betting thread as Man. City are so passive currently and Spurs seem to have got into their heads since knocking them out of CL in 18/19, took 4 points off them last season aswell so it was a good match up even without the early goal.

Now the acid test, Chelsea away. Going to be a fascinating watch with the form Chelsea have been in last few months, I'd actually say it's the match of league season so far as a win for either could really push them on over the xmas period.

Think I'm right in saying Mourinho has lost all his league and cup games at Stamford Bridge since 2016? So he'll feel he's well overdue a result. Chelsea schooled Spurs in one of the games last year when Willian scored twice.

If they go to Chelsea and win they're credible title challengers for sure. Also got Liverpool away in next few weeks and certainly a good time to play with all their injuries, think Spurs have lost their last 5 games v Liverpool so again that would be a statement of intent even getting a draw.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
It was a very good win for Spurs and they're doing well. I actually said they'd win in the betting thread as Man. City are so passive currently and Spurs seem to have got into their heads since knocking them out of CL in 18/19, took 4 points off them last season aswell so it was a good match up even without the early goal.

Now the acid test, Chelsea away. Going to be a fascinating watch with the form Chelsea have been in last few months, I'd actually say it's the match of league season so far as a win for either could really push them on over the xmas period.

Think I'm right in saying Mourinho has lost all his league and cup games at Stamford Bridge since 2016? So he'll feel he's well overdue a result. Chelsea schooled Spurs in one of the games last year when Willian scored twice.

If they go to Chelsea and win they're credible title challengers for sure. Also got Liverpool away in next few weeks and certainly a good time to play with all their injuries, think Spurs have lost their last 5 games v Liverpool so again that would be a statement of intent even getting a draw.
I think even getting draws away at Liverpool and Chelsea is enough, if they are in second or third once they come out of the nightmare run of fixtures they have, so around new years, title talk should be on the table. Have Wolves, Arsenal and Leicester games as well in the lead up to Christmas.

Hailee

The Jose hate is absolutely toxic here. Not even the Lukaku hate is near the same level of toxicity. Way to go guys, we are at RAWK levels of delusion now. Why would anyone want to join us if we have this attitude?

Everyone is just waiting for him to fail. He's only successful because of the easy fixture list. Now that it's no longer true, people are waiting for the third season blow up. If it doesn't happen, what then?

The amount of excuses made against him is ridiculous. He still plays shit on a stick football, as if Ole isn't playing turgider stuff right now. He's only successful because Levy and Poch built the team for him. Well no shit, that's what a good board should do, where we're our football people who should be building a team with him?

Even lies are being made up, as if he's the one who wanted unrealistic targets like Varane instead of Ed Woodward. Where were is realistic targets like Perisic and Willian?

Absolute mental gymnastics

Dominos

In recent seasons whereby City and Liverpool were hitting the 100 point mark or just shy then Spurs wouldn't be anywhere near obviously, but standards will fall this season and they're definitely looking a real threat now.

I'm still not convinced they have that much quality outside of Kane/Son and question whether that will be enough over the course of a season, Kane's usually good for an injury at some point, heavy fixture congestion with them being one of the favourites to go far in europa also.

Worth noting Mourinho's league title wins he's basically been top of the league the whole season. He's never chased one down as far as I'm recall or had a back and forth title race. So if he's to follow the usual pattern he'll want to establish that top spot now and hold onto it.

HowYouDoin

At the moment, Spurs have men. I am sorry, but you cannot win the league with players who don't have cajones. Men who will go to war and run through brick walls for Jose. They are just at the right point of maturity. Poch did not have the personality to bring them to that final 10% that they needed when he was there. Tactically at his best he was probably as good as Jose, but to win titles and go that extra bit, you need character and personality (which is why SAF was so good). You rarely find a winning manager who has a boring personality (SAF, Paisley, Klopp, Pep, Jose, Ancelotti, Simeone, Clough etc2 were all characters whether you agreed with them or not).

When Jose was here, we did not know how to handle him. Woodward is a politically correct board room kind of guy, and probably eventually found Jose's style unpalatable. We were worried too much about what people think, we pandered to the players (Pogba) too much, rather than trusting the manager and letting him call the shots. Some players were a bit too precious too in my view. Keano would have absolutely destroyed some of them. Woodward basically could have just rallied around Jose and told everyone else, press included, to feck off. We actually had little to lose at that point as we had not won the league for a few years anyway and therefore should have just went all in and bought into Jose's ideas and see where it took us at the end of his contract. Pogba now even with a manager who is so nice and like a buddy to him, is still underperforming so it can't be all Jose's fault.

In Spurs, he now potentially has the players with the right mentality. If he does not cock it up this season and do something stupid, I can see them doing very very well.

This could still of course be part of his second season honeymoon and it could all unravel next year.

End the thread, perfect post right there, especially the bolded part.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How can you watch that game and say its shit on a stick football? Seriously. Owned City and Pep and showed how there "perfect football" isn't perfect, for all the ball they had they did basically nothing, forced them wide and made them look stupid.

shahzy

I don’t agree that Supporting your manager is toxic or trolling. So the above is just your opinion.
The better word is delusion tbh. Seeing something that isn't there due to blind faith as there is no discernible evidence to back up the faith. That's more apt

Some may see that as trolling or toxic

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Agree with all of that to be honest.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Having some competition has really helped focus him. I have been one of his biggest critics but honestly this season he has been first class.
Agree, a proper kick up the arse for him, hes technically a great player but his concentration/mentality is what used to let him down.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
What im loving about Jose right now, is he is cool as feck, he didn't play up the win, you could see when the second goal went in he was ecstatic but then cooled himself. The mentality is being built, and from Harrys comments after the match they are in on it, they know what he is trying to do. Harry said something about "no egos" and its all working well so far. Could all obviously end in tears but feck me I'm buckled in!

AshRK

This spurs squad is perfect for Jose in comparison to what he had with us. He should never have beem the man succeeding a young squad like ours. In spurs he has a world class number 9, a worldclass attacker in son, a solid defensive unit and workholic midfielders in Sissoko. Jose never rated Martial, shaw and got sick of Pogba. To be fair I don't think we can ever win a league with Martial as our number 9 or shaw as our lb. Having said that his attitude after the sevilla debacle was toxic and he should have been sacked in the summer itself.

Although what's funny is people said he was the real toxic one when the real problem with our club will always be our board.

Grande

What im loving about Jose right now, is he is cool as feck, he didn't play up the win, you could see when the second goal went in he was ecstatic but then cooled himself. The mentality is being built, and from Harrys comments after the match they are in on it, they know what he is trying to do. Harry said something about "no egos" and its all working well so far. Could all obviously end in tears but feck me I'm buckled in!
It’s kind of heartwarming, kind of heartbreaking to see you go through the same loops we did. Mou is a good manager results-wise for the short term, he was with us too. It didn’t feel worth it in retrospect, but he didn’t do badly in terms of league positions and trophies. He did take the club backwards though, and ‘attacking play’ went out the window once we let in a few goals.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It’s kind of heartwarming, kind of heartbreaking to see you go through the same loops we did. Mou is a good manager results-wise for the short term, he was with us too. It didn’t feel worth it in retrospect, but he didn’t do badly in terms of league positions and trophies. He did take the club backwards though, and ‘attacking play’ went out the window once we let in a few goals.
need we remind you all that he did this in year 2 with us and then the wheels started coming off around christmas...
You cant expect us to think that way though, what he was sold by the United board is a hell of a long way from what Levy will have siold him.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
In recent seasons whereby City and Liverpool were hitting the 100 point mark or just shy then Spurs wouldn't be anywhere near obviously, but standards will fall this season and they're definitely looking a real threat now.

I'm still not convinced they have that much quality outside of Kane/Son and question whether that will be enough over the course of a season, Kane's usually good for an injury at some point, heavy fixture congestion with them being one of the favourites to go far in europa also.

Worth noting Mourinho's league title wins he's basically been top of the league the whole season. He's never chased one down as far as I'm recall or had a back and forth title race. So if he's to follow the usual pattern he'll want to establish that top spot now and hold onto it.
People focus too much on Kane and Son. And they focus too much on individuals, rather than looking at the cohesiveness of the team as a whole and how well the different parts fit together in relation to a chosen style - or styles - of play. I'd say that Spurs are a pretty slick outfit right now, with round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes, everyone knowing what their roles are and how to perform them to quite a high general standard.

If anything, Spurs are unlucky not have more points than we do so far, considering the way in which points were dropped against Newcastle and W.Ham. But we're unbeaten since Game 1, have won the last 4 league games in a row and have good squad depth. It's far from being all about Kane and Son.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
People focus too much on Kane and Son. And they focus too much on individuals, rather than looking at the cohesiveness of the team as a whole and how well the different parts fit together in relation to a chosen style - or styles - of play. I'd say that Spurs are a pretty slick outfit right now, with round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes, everyone knowing what their roles are and how to perform that role to quite a high general standard.

If anything, Spurs are unlucky not have more points than we do so far, considering the way in which points were dropped against Newcastle and W.Ham. But we're unbeaten since Game 1, have won the last 4 league games in a row and have good squad depth. It's far from being all about Kane and Son.
I think Højbjerg has been awesome for us, totally under the radar.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Oh,it did look promising to
most of us at the point of the ride you’re at now.
You are totally ignoring what I am saying, again you cant expect us to just say "oh well, its gonna implode" football is nothing without optimism. If you want my opinion, outside looking into United, you will sack Ole, you will go through the same process of an overall, invest money and sack another manager.

HowYouDoin

need we remind you all that he did this in year 2 with us and then the wheels started coming off around christmas...
Yeah but see this is Mourinho reborn. United, he was still coasting and using his reputation to justify himself but after United he realized he had to change his ways and he did. Otherwise the game would have passed him by.
At Tottenham he is more attacking, easier to work with, he has also adjusted to the modern game and a modern footballer.

Its Jose 2.0 now. He won't repeat his mistakes. He will learn.

If anything, you can say what you want about Jose but at the very least he is proving that he is not an out of touch has been.
He still got it and he reinvented himself. Just thinking he will crash and burn come season 3 is naive, dont you think he knows his bad reputation in regards to that, dont you think he will want to prove naysayers wrong, dont you think he has that self awareness? Its Jose 2.0 now.