Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lex talionis

I don’t mind Jose’s shitc**tery, which provides endless fodder for banter, and no one can deny his trophy haul, but his tactics are hideous to watch.

If you told me that you could guarantee me a trophy but that I’d have to watch unwatchable football as the price for that trophy, I honestly wouldn’t take it. What’s the point of watching the unwatchable?

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
You know, its really odd to think about he has the goal record in a top 3 league, considering that he really is a defensive manager at heart.
121 goals in 38 games? From a Mourinho-side, what!?

Bobski

You know, its really odd to think about he has the goal record in a top 3 league, considering that he really is a defensive manager at heart.
With an all time stacked squad, who were to be fair maybe the best counter attacking side of all time.

Idxomer

Been declining and overrated since 2012, took advantage of a poor league in 2014/2015 to win it again with Chelsea which is the only big title he won in the last 8 years.

thatsme

Mainly down to the fact that he frequently acts like the mother of all thundercunts.

But I do agree that trying to downplay his genuinely impressive achievements over the years is silly - and petty.

But equally, some of his achievements have a been a tad overrated.

One league title and not even one CL final in 3 years at a mega club like RM, is hardly something special.
He also gets too much praise for what he did at Chelsea.
He took over a team which finished 2 in the league in the year of Wenger's invincibles. Plus, they also reached the SF in the CL. With theiir financial resources they were only going one way and that was up. Many managers would have won the title with all that in place.
Again, as with RM, not a single CL final at Chelsea.
Yes, he did a good job, but nothing speacial. Pretty similar level of achievement to Pep at City.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Does he have a choice? The squad needs loads of work so hes going to have to keep some players he would like to replace onside.
Why does he have no choice? I've always believed, if there is area they need to sort out first is the right back. Reguilon & Højbjerg are needed to upgrade their left back & midfield but do they really need Bale or even Rodon before new right back? He could have at least use Bale's wages 11m plus Doherty's fees 13m to sign right back like Castagne for example.

RashyForPM

Why does he have no choice? I've always believed, if there is area they need to sort out first is the right back. Reguilon & Højbjerg are needed to upgrade their left back & midfield but do they really need Bale or even Rodon before new right back? He could have at least use Bale's wages 11m plus Doherty's fees 13m to sign right back like Castagne for example.
Doherty was the upgrade at RB. We only don’t think so because Hojbjerg has started very well while Doherty hasn’t. At the start of the season, Doherty raised more opposition eyebrows than Hojbjerg when they signed for Spurs. Also, I think if we were offered either Doherty or Castagne to upgrade on AWB, we’d all have picked Doherty, simply because we wouldn’t be too knowledgeable on Castagne and Doherty has done it in the PL.

Agree that they shouldn’t have signed Bale though. Considering they already had Bergwijn, Moura and Lamela in that position, Bale is simply a waste of wages.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Doherty was the upgrade at RB. We only don’t think so because Hojbjerg has started very well while Doherty hasn’t. At the start of the season, Doherty raised more opposition eyebrows than Hojbjerg when they signed for Spurs. Also, I think if we were offered either Doherty or Castagne to upgrade on AWB, we’d all have picked Doherty, simply because we wouldn’t be too knowledgeable on Castagne and Doherty has done it in the PL.

Agree that they shouldn’t have signed Bale though. Considering they already had Bergwijn, Moura and Lamela in that position, Bale is simply a waste of wages.
Then play Doherty! If Doherty is an upgrade which supposed to be but he's not playing over Aurier. After last season, in my opinion Aurier shouldn't be playing regularly as their right back now. The fact that he's still keep playing is what surprised me and last weekend cost the manager's decision, you will expect that from Aurier.

Oldyella

Tbh I had totally forgotten Doherty. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign!

RashyForPM

Then play Doherty! If Doherty is an upgrade which supposed to be but he's not playing over Aurier. After last season, in my opinion Aurier shouldn't be playing regularly as their right back now. The fact that he's still keep playing is what surprised me and last weekend cost the manager's decision, you will expect that from Aurier.
He should. Aurier is erratic at the best of times and calamitous at the worst. He is nowhere near Doherty.

sugar_kane

Had completely forgot they’d signed Doherty until I was chatting to a Wolves fan at the weekend

Mourinho has a weird track record of making signings and not playing them.

No doubt in a couple of years time we’ll be hearing the same old shit about how he didn’t get his main targets.

Also, saw a Spurs fan upthread say Bale was a Levy not a Jose signing? Whatever. At the very least it was a mutual choice, Jose has been chasing him for years.

Kag

Doherty was a terrible signing if the intention was to play him at right back in a four man defence. Wolves supporters made that very clear.

But this is what Mourinho does. He buys shit loads of players, neglects to play them or use them effectively and throws his toys out the pram when results don’t go his way. His acolytes will then pretend as if he hasn’t been backed in the market, in spite of buying a full new first team of players.

I’d almost feel sorry for Spurs supporters if they didn’t have the cheese room to compensate for this.

YAMS49

Doherty at RB in a back four is plain crazy.

Fair play to JM for managing to find a RB worse defensively than Aurier, that takes some doing.

RashyForPM

Aurier is actually better defensively than Doherty who's the better player offensively.
Just can’t see it. Doherty actually uses his brain in defensive situations, while Aurier, as Mourinho said, has the capability to give ‘shit penalties’ away. Extremely rash basically.

Doherty really has to play more imo.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Just can’t see it. Doherty actually uses his brain in defensive situations, while Aurier, as Mourinho said, has the capability to give ‘shit penalties’ away. Extremely rash basically.

Doherty really has to play more imo.
I wasn't Serge's biggest fan before this season, but he had been playing well and very disciplined before the weekend, I can see Doherty getting a start again after that shit show.

RashyForPM

I wasn't Serge's biggest fan before this season, but he had been playing well and very disciplined before the weekend, I can see Doherty getting a start again after that shit show.
I too was very impressed with the way he completely shut down Mane, but he always has the capability for a ridiculous brain fart, like against Leicester, and the penalties against Pool and City last season. He cannot be trusted as the first choice RB in a top 5 team. Doherty has proven that he definitely can at Wolves for two seasons, tbf to him.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Doherty had some minor fitness issues and adding to that he got Covid, which let him isolated and is not match fit.

McTerminator

Two words... Cristiano Ronaldo

hmchan

Had completely forgot they’d signed Doherty until I was chatting to a Wolves fan at the weekend

Mourinho has a weird track record of making signings and not playing them.

No doubt in a couple of years time we’ll be hearing the same old shit about how he didn’t get his main targets.

Also, saw a Spurs fan upthread say Bale was a Levy not a Jose signing? Whatever. At the very least it was a mutual choice, Jose has been chasing him for years.
Weird to see such comment when you consider the game time of Hojberg, Reguilon, Lo Celso, Bergwijn etc.

tomaldinho1

But equally, some of his achievements have a been a tad overrated.

One league title and not even one CL final in 3 years at a mega club like RM, is hardly something special.
He also gets too much praise for what he did at Chelsea.
He took over a team which finished 2 in the league in the year of Wenger's invincibles. Plus, they also reached the SF in the CL. With theiir financial resources they were only going one way and that was up. Many managers would have won the title with all that in place.
Again, as with RM, not a single CL final at Chelsea.
Yes, he did a good job, but nothing speacial. Pretty similar level of achievement to Pep at City.
I agree on the above but then you have to add in the Porto & Inter spells which were phenomenal. His first Chelsea team is still one of the great PL teams as well in fairness and he was the first coach to really use the 433 in the PL consistently, which still is seen a lot today. It's a bit like Conte coming in and introducing the back 5 or Klopp showing how successful pressing can be for 90mins (remember when he arrived literally everyone said you can't do it for a whole season), the best managers leave a bit of a legacy. In his prime he was innovative and brought a lot of new ideas, the issue is football is ever changing and so his style, especially the way he sets Spurs up, seems so backwards when you think of the attacking players they have.

That said, in the same way fans shouldn't get too cocky about their teams doing well given how tight the league is, there is a long way to go and Spurs have a nice run of winnable games now so I'd expect them to still be around the top four until the season's end.

thatsme

I agree on the above but then you have to add in the Porto & Inter spells which were phenomenal. His first Chelsea team is still one of the great PL teams as well in fairness and he was the first coach to really use the 433 in the PL consistently, which still is seen a lot today. It's a bit like Conte coming in and introducing the back 5 or Klopp showing how successful pressing can be for 90mins (remember when he arrived literally everyone said you can't do it for a whole season), the best managers leave a bit of a legacy. In his prime he was innovative and brought a lot of new ideas, the issue is football is ever changing and so his style, especially the way he sets Spurs up, seems so backwards when you think of the attacking players they have.

That said, in the same way fans shouldn't get too cocky about their teams doing well given how tight the league is, there is a long way to go and Spurs have a nice run of winnable games now so I'd expect them to still be around the top four until the season's end.
I can't argue with any of what you say there.

I did like the way he was very bold with his substitutions and never afraid to pull a player off after 20 minutes if things weren't going the way he wanted them to.
I can't recall any other manager doing that.

tomaldinho1

I can't argue with any of what you say there.

I did like the way he was very bold with his substitutions and never afraid to pull a player off after 20 minutes if things weren't going the way he wanted them to.
I can't recall any other manager doing that.
Maybe he learnt that from LVG, poor Paddy McNair

Sylar

Starting Kane tonight. What in the actual feck is Jose at?
He wants this trophy. He's three games away and probably thinks he could get this over early (sub Kane) then hope to get Brentford next round.

Dan_F

He was always going to go strong, but that team is insane. Stoke aren’t even playing a full team. Do they play Boxing Day?

Cloud7

Also, saw a Spurs fan upthread say Bale was a Levy not a Jose signing?
Where does this sound familiar. Mourinho not playing a transfer/transfer not doing well = Not a Mourinho signing. iT wAs ThE bOaRD.

Never mind the fact that Mourinho has been chasing Bale for years.

Jetrooooo

So happy they started losing some games. Can't wait for the wheels to fully come off. Spurs fans were pretending like they had some brand new Jose. While he is still the same bloke. Even oppos started liking him again. Gonna be glorious when he started losing it again.