Jose Mourinho | Spurs manager

At every club he's been at since 2002, Mourinho has won trophies. Will he win one at Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chief123

There’s no chance Spurs are winning the league. Not sure why some pundits think they can. Their aim should be top 4 which is going to be a challenge in itself, and I’m not sure they’ll have enough to beat Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Utd to the top 4.

They will lose more games but so will others competing for the top 4 like we’ve already seen with ourselves, City and Chelsea. It’s just going to be a case of who can manage the mental fixtures schedule while maintaining some level of consistency.

The biggest problem Jose is going to have is getting fans to buy in to absolute crap football with the hope it’ll get them top 4.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There’s no chance Spurs are winning the league. Not sure why some pundits think they can. Their aim should be top 4 which is going to be a challenge in itself, and I’m not sure they’ll have enough to beat Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Utd to the top 4.

They will lose more games but so will others competing for the top 4 like we’ve already seen with ourselves, City and Chelsea. It’s just going to be a case of who can manage the mental fixtures schedule while maintaining some level of consistency.

The biggest problem Jose is going to have is getting fans to buy in to absolute crap football with the hope it’ll get them top 4.
What do you base this on?

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I sincerely hope we win at least the league cup this season... Jose has beaten at City and United already once this season.

We can place it next to the Audi Cup in the trophy cabinet...

United58

Throwing his players under a bus again. He's either parking the bus or throwing his players under the bus.

Jose Mourinho on Dele Alli: "Yes, for me a player that plays in that position is a player that has to link and create and not to create problems for his own team"

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-stoke-creates-problems-own-team-b463640.html
I hated having Jose at United, and I'm delighted he's gone, but I actually feel like his management of Alli is correct; from what I've seen, he's the kind of person that needs a keep up the arse to succeed, and can take it

Denis' cuff

GazTheLegend

I hated having Jose at United, and I'm delighted he's gone, but I actually feel like his management of Alli is correct; from what I've seen, he's the kind of person that needs a keep up the arse to succeed, and can take it
-maybe-. But continually attacking the guy in the media is just going to make Dele feel (rightly) victimised.

I personally think it's a dangerous road to go down. The only times I'd argue I ever saw it working was with David Beckham, but that was partly his incredibly strong mentality and partly Alex Ferguson's untouchable status - Mourinho is no longer untouchable and it doesn't seem like Dele Alli is responding to all this nonsense.

Sylar

Is there any thing to say it's working? Or is it too soon to say?

Feels unnecessary but I don't follow Allis trajectory

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He played brilliantly under Spurs’ previous manager, one of the best players in the league. What evidence do we have that Mourinho’s management of him is correct? Surely the exact opposite is more likely?

United58

-maybe-. But continually attacking the guy in the media is just going to make Dele feel (rightly) victimised.

I personally think it's a dangerous road to go down. The only times I'd argue I ever saw it working was with David Beckham, but that was partly his incredibly strong mentality and partly Alex Ferguson's untouchable status - Mourinho is no longer untouchable and it doesn't seem like Dele Alli is responding to all this nonsense.
Oh yeah, I'm not trying to defend Mourinho as a good manager - I'm just saying this is the kind of treatment a temperamental, seemingly (again, we don't know them) lazy player would need. Beckham and Ferguson were as far ahead of Alli and Mourinho as Newton and Darwin were ahead of those writing the media narrative.

I honestly couldn't say, I'm not following Spurs closely; @balaks or @InLevyITrust seem great shouts for an honest take. If Mourinho's tenure ends without Jose ever getting more out of Alli I wouldn't put it 100% down to Mourinho, though (and I say this as someone who, again, hated having Mourinho here and is delighted he and his football and blame-game is gone)

He played brilliantly under Spurs’ previous manager, one of the best players in the league. What evidence do we have that Mourinho’s management of him is correct? Surely the exact opposite is more likely?
I'm not disagreeing, I'd just say that, even though I'm someone who dislikes Mourinho's management, I think his treatment of Alli is the best way to try to eke the most out of him (now I could be completely wrong too, and that's why I'm an armchair pundit!)

from the outside, it doesn’t look like it working. Unless it’s to lower expectations for him, and so fans will be happy when he’s sold.

Do Spurs fans consider he has a future at the club now? Looks bleak for him.

AneRu

I agree on the above but then you have to add in the Porto & Inter spells which were phenomenal. His first Chelsea team is still one of the great PL teams as well in fairness and he was the first coach to really use the 433 in the PL consistently, which still is seen a lot today. It's a bit like Conte coming in and introducing the back 5 or Klopp showing how successful pressing can be for 90mins (remember when he arrived literally everyone said you can't do it for a whole season), the best managers leave a bit of a legacy. In his prime he was innovative and brought a lot of new ideas, the issue is football is ever changing and so his style, especially the way he sets Spurs up, seems so backwards when you think of the attacking players they have.

That said, in the same way fans shouldn't get too cocky about their teams doing well given how tight the league is, there is a long way to go and Spurs have a nice run of winnable games now so I'd expect them to still be around the top four until the season's end.
True, only Liverpool have or are starting to pull away but even then it's not by much. We could end the week in fifth of sixth ourselves.

Judas

Open to offers
If Jose was going to get a tune out of Alli he'd be doing it by now, I wrongly thought he'd be one of the players who bought into what the manager is selling but it doesn't look that way to me.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Performances aside, by going public Mourinho is actually devaluing the value of the player in the transfer market. I'm sure Daniel Levy will not be too happy to see an England international player worth at least 50 Million just last season now being openly criticised and talked about sending him out on loan deals.

Performances aside, by going public Mourinho is actually devaluing the value of the player in the transfer market. I'm sure Daniel Levy will not be too happy to see an England international player worth at least 50 Million just last season now being openly criticised and talked about sending him out on loan deals.
it’s typical Jose.

just compare it to how OGS handled Sanchez and Lukaku. Like night and day.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Can see them winning the League Cup and the media fawning over Mourinho again. He has a habit of winning diddy trophies that nobody else really cares about which sees him hailed as a “winner”.

Two league titles and not coming close to a CL in over a decade is a pretty poor return for a manager with his reputation spending that amount of money with those squads.

thatsme

Can see them winning the League Cup and the media fawning over Mourinho again. He has a habit of winning diddy trophies that nobody else really cares about which sees him hailed as a “winner”.

Two league titles and not coming close to a CL in over a decade is a pretty poor return for a manager with his reputation spending that amount of money with those squads.
At his peak, José was very savvy in moving to the right clubs at the right time to pick up league titles. Even at Inter, who were champions the previous two years before he arrived.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
At his peak, José was very savvy in moving to the right clubs at the right time to pick up league titles. Even at Inter, who were champions the previous two years before he arrived.
Absolutely the opposite. in inter he was a guaranteed champion but inter were no one in Europe.

Then he went to Real to face super Barça, it was an incredibly challenging job.
Then Chelsea that were not close to competing for the league.
Then Man Utd that were even worse.
Then Spurs that had been improving but far from Liverpool and City.

So no, he doesn't chase easy titles at all, he chooses jobs far from easy and with few guarantees since he left Inter (and in inter it was only internally).

Renegade

Absolutely the opposite. in inter he was a guaranteed champion but inter were no one in Europe.

Then he went to Real to face super Barça, it was an incredibly challenging job.
Then Chelsea that were not close to competing for the league.
Then Man Utd that were even worse.
Then Spurs that had been improving but far from Liverpool and City.

So no, he doesn't chase easy titles at all, he chooses jobs far from easy and with few guarantees since he left Inter (and in inter it was only internally).
You can’t bring up his Chelsea move. With that budget most top managers would win. He really should have won a UCL with that 1st Chelsea side.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You can’t bring up his Chelsea move. With that budget most top managers would win. He really should have won a UCL with that 1st UCL side.
Was a poor refereeing decision from making the final. Not saying Chelsea would have beaten Milan

BorisManUtd

Thought he was very close to winning CL in 2012, lost to Bayern only on penalties in semis. But yeah, since then his teams were rubbish in Champions league, don't think he'll win it ever again.

On other hand, this season he could repeat what he did with us in 2016/17, winning domestic cup and Europa league, I can see it happening. Spurs have been pretty good in league, too, top 4 would be good achievement, don't think anyone can catch Liverpool.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

The same diddy trophies people use as a stick to beat Poch with?

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
You can’t bring up his Chelsea move. With that budget most top managers would win. He really should have won a UCL with that 1st Chelsea side.
I didn't mention his first chelsea stint because you said at his peak, which I guess in reputation starts really when he is champion with that chelsea team.
The Chelsea I referenced was his second stint - and like I said in Real he had a very challenging job.
So his "easy" moves were maybe 1st Chelsea stint (it was still up in the air, chelsea was growing but the invincibles were champions) and the league titles with Inter (just the internal titles, in europe was nope).
Even in Porto he got there mid season when Porto was struggling to reach 3rd place (which he guaranteed).

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Was a poor refereeing decision from making the final. Not saying Chelsea would have beaten Milan
If you mean 2005, it was either a goal or red plus penalty for Cech for the foul on Baros

In the 3rd minute, I will rather be a goal down than be 1 man down plus penalty

That decision kind of favored Chelsea and Mourinho.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I didn't mention his first chelsea stint because you said at his peak, which I guess in reputation starts really when he is champion with that chelsea team.
The Chelsea I referenced was his second stint - and like I said in Real he had a very challenging job.
So his "easy" moves were maybe 1st Chelsea stint (it was still up in the air, chelsea was growing but the invincibles were champions) and the league titles with Inter (just the internal titles, in europe was nope).
Even in Porto he got there mid season when Porto was struggling to reach 3rd place (which he guaranteed).
At his 2nd Chelsea stint, who were the teams better?
Spurs? LvG United, Arsenal, Liverpool post Suarez. City were the only credible rival

Ladron de redcafe

What exactly was challenging about his 2nd stint? He had one of the best squads on the planet while United and Arsenal were going through transitions and Liverpool were stinking up the place under Hodgson.

He was there for 3 seasons and won just one title before leaving Chelsea in a relegation battles (15 points from 17 matches) before Conte came in and won the title with the same squad plus Kante with 93 points.

Calling his first stint at Chelsea anything but easy is plain laughable. He spent 3 times as much as his next biggests spenders (United) both net and gross. For perspective, the man you say is overrated (Guardiola) only spent 1.3 times what Mourinho spent when we're brought into City and United in the summer of 2016, and absolutely crushed Mourinho on all 3 season, finishing 19 points ahead of him in the 2017-18 season and was ahead of Mourinho by 18 points by December during the following season. All while enjoying the club with the highest wage bill in the history of English football.

The first stint at Chelsea was the easiest stint any top manager would have ever had at any English club, in recent memory. He was there for 4 seasons, spent triple what Sir Alex spent and yet Sir Alex outperformed him by winning 2 of the 4 league titles on offer, and winning the Champions League.

Ladron de redcafe

Which poor refereeing decisions? If it was the Luis Garcia goal, that could have easily been a penalty and a red card in the opening minutes. Instead، the referee decided to forgo sending off Cech and gave Chelsea a fighting chance.

Not that nearly reaching the Champions League final is an accomplishment. He lost the league title to a United team that had nowhere near the resources that Chelsea team had. He added arguably the best holding midfielder in the planet at the time in Michael Ballack, and the best left back on the planet in Ashley Cole to what was already the most stacked team in Europe, and lost the league title to us that season.

Losing in the UCL semis despite being gifted a decision that favoured them, against a pedestrian Liverpool team, is not a plus. It's a huge negative.