Jose Mourinho's press conference - Brighton (FA Cup) - 14:00 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handré1990

So on the basis of that tie, he's not up to the job? That seems to be the popular opinion now. I'm not sure if it helps the team at all for him to come out crying and saying he did a shite job against Sevilla.
Getting annoyed with how the first leg is so conveniently left out. It was two shit jobs vs a team with inferior players in most positions. Remember that de Gea saved our behinds in what has been described as an impossible save. Mourinho covering his own back as usual

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Sorry but we as fans should also be able to discuss some of the stuff Fergie did during his last years. He's the GOAT but he's also human and did many mistakes and he should be discussed.

Not replacing Ronaldo, Scholes set us back a decade there is no questions about it. That he let the Glazers pocket the Ronaldo money is unforgivable. That's the reason why Real and Barca are still fighting for CL wins and why we aren't.
SAF's hubris was directly responsible for the advent of the Glazers' ownership of the club in the first place. He knocked himself off his own perch in the end.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This is spot on.

Moyes fecked up big time - so when LvG came in he had a big job to pick the club back up again, but he made it just worse. So, obviously, the next guy is going to have a hell of a time getting things right when the process of rebuilding the club has been restarted several times.
You and Mourinho are arguing about things completely irrelevant to what is being discussed.
If he's giving excuses for being 16 points behind City, it would make sense.
We were outclassed over two legs by an inferior side out of form, what is worse, he adopted tactics you'd expect from an Inferior side.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Getting annoyed with how the first leg is so conveniently left out. It was two shit jobs vs a team with inferior players in most positions. Remember that de Gea saved our behinds in what has been described as an impossible save. Mourinho covering his own back as usual
I'll ask you the same question I asked Skills, if we had beaten Sevilla would you want him out?

I'm definitely still pro Mourinho, but I think the tie against Sevilla was the poorest show the team has managed under Jose. Terrible. However, that one tie does not change my opinion and make me think we need to get rid because he's not up to the job. And I agree with him in bringing up the context of recent years, results and player acquisitions. It doesn't excuse the performances against Sevilla, but looking at things overall, it has a lot of weight.

red4ever 79

DDG, Smalling, Valencia, Mata, Young, Carrick - and Martial's been here as long as Sterling's been there. We've got "heritage" too.
Pretty much what I was thinking. I mean who have been our better players this season. Probably De Gea, Valencia, Young, Martial and Mata. I would add Lukaku to that as well. All of them except Lukaku were signed before Jose. Grasping at straws again.

Zoo

The more you listen to him the more you start to think that he clearly prioritised the Liverpool game. Whatever happened to fighting on all fronts?

Laphroaig

And the difference in age/quality between those two lists speaks volumes. Carrick’s finished, Young and Valencia are in decline and only DDG (and arguably Mata) has been an unequivocal success out of the rest of them (under any manager).
Yeah, Pep's fundament was better, but the difference isn't that huge. City had to invest a fortune in keepers and full backs, Mourinho's inherited quality at rb and the world's greatest in goal. Valencia is getting older, but isn't declining yet. Young just had the league's best player in his pocket. I'm not going to pretend that Otamendi is all that, but obviously Silva, Aguero and KDB gave him a superior attacking base to build on. Still, we lost to Sevilla, not City, so those excuses are hollow.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah I'm not having any of this squad not being up to it talk. It's fecking Sevilla. Fair enough to be outclassed by Barca, Bayern or whoever, but the Sevilla performance was pathetic and all on Mourinho giving the wrong instructions. There's no excuse for that. We've been ambitious against better teams and put in better performances with him. Hell we had better performances with Moyes then that shit. So yeah. Sevilla was embarrassing and he better know on the inside he got it horribly wrong, even if he won't admit it.

edgar allan

Bravo Jose for telling it like it is. Something a big part of our fanbase can't seem to understand.

He didn't inherite anything close to those players, our best players are those he bought and brought here. The expectations are not close to reality.

Fergie's last years in the market were a disaster, didn't replace Ronaldo, Moyes was a disaster in the market so was Van Gaal, basically it set us back a decade.
No Pogba, Mhiki, Lindelof and Sanchez are his signings and are a big part of the problem.

SirAF

Ageist
I'll ask you the same question I asked Skills, if we had beaten Sevilla would you want him out?

I'm definitely still pro Mourinho, but I think the tie against Sevilla was the poorest show the team has managed under Jose. Terrible. However, that one tie does not change my opinion and make me think we need to get rid because he's not up to the job. And I agree with him in bringing up the context of recent years, results and player acquisitions. It doesn't excuse the performances against Sevilla, but looking at things overall, it has a lot of weight.
Absolutely this. Yes, the Sevilla shitshow was poor - poor by both the manager and the players. However, please, have some context and move on - there's a QF in the FA Cup waiting tomorrow :devil:

Brophs

The One and Only
Why wouldn't he spin a load of old guff like that if people are going to lap it up? People will say it's a master stroke to take the pressure off the players etc. but in reality it's just a bloke who manages to view most of his failings in a detached way, as if it's stuff that's happening to him rather than stuff he's directly responsible for. Which is fine when you're winning stuff, but not such a good look if you aren't. Time will tell, I guess.

EDIT: Sorry, should have said, some of what he said makes a lot of sense, it's just drowned out by the more self-pitying elements.

Adisa

The more you listen to him the more you start to think that he clearly prioritised the Liverpool game. Whatever happened to fighting on all fronts?
He didn't.
Once again goalposts have been moved.

cyberman

Smalling, Valencia, Mata, Young, Carrick

The first 5 names that are brought up on here when determining who we need to sell / improve on?
A bit rich to now use them as examples as to why we should be closer to City.

Skills

Snitch
Based on your logic:

If we are so shit why don't you feck off and support City?
Because believe it or not most of have been following the club long before he took over, and will continue to do so long after he leaves.

Unlike some of the weirdos here im loyal to the club, not whatever manager we employee even if I can clearly see he's doing a poor job.

edgar allan

If that excuse was a horse it would be the lamest of lame horses.

ArjenIsM3

I have to agree with most of what Mourinho's saying, or trying to say at least. You've got to look at the bigger picture. Yes, we were shit against Sevilla. Twice. But we've been shit ever since Ferguson left. We've too many average players. I think the players he's bought have improved us more than any of the buys his predecessors made. We're generally playing better football than we were with Moyes and Van Gaal in charge. We're scoring more goals, getting more points and winning more trophies. Of course we're not where we want to be yet but at least we're on the up again. Moyes didn't achieve that. Van Gaal couldn't either. Jose has. Of course we should have beaten Sevilla. Of course our tactics were off with Rashford playing on the wrong flank and Mata being left out. Jose's got it wrong and a lot of our players didn't turn up. They're all at fault fur us being out of the CL but that doesn't mean the club isn't moving in the right direction as a whole. Let's just move on.

Reactions: Sultan

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Just accept it was a bad performance and move on. This United team should have beaten Sevilla over 2 legs despite so called heritage. The whole point of the press conference was not wanting to accept the blame.

Fully Fledged

He like I, don't quite understand what you're going on about.
I'm fed up with him running the team down to make himself look better.

The reason that we lost Tuesday was down to his tactics. The way we played was terrible. We set up to sit back and fire long balls up the field to Fellaini against Sevilla. Fellaini FFS everybody knows that he can't header for shite.

RedDevil@84

He didn't. His tactics/ team selection over 2 legs were howlers. He screwed up. He can say all he wants about how Utd were not a top club in last 5-6 years, but all that had no influence on how we played against Sevilla.
Anyways, he is not the only manager who refuses to accept a mistake. I would say many managers are like that. Some give blatant excuses like, too windy, the ball used was bad and so on. Some give you lectures about irrelevant stuff.
Anyways, we move on and make sure we finish 2nd and try to go all the way in the FA cup.

Skills

Snitch
Was Ferguson ever this self centred? All these 'super managers' make it all about how it's about them. It's Jose Vs Pep, or Jose Vs Klopp and Manchester United are just the sideshow in this.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bu bu but... You we supposed to be the chosen one! We were supposed to win the quadruple this season! :(

Tedious as feck, no matter what he says he can't win with some. Moan moan moan, finally gonna have to start using that ignore button. Even the press thread getting hijacked by moaners.

Son Of Sam

No amount of spin can make up for the fact the team he currently has was more than capable of easily winning on Tuesday. Not sure why he can’t just own up to that.
The players weren’t more than capable...
It takes more than talent to win those kinda games. Madrid couldn’t get into the QF of Champions League with their galacticos for 8 seasons, they didn’t win Copa del Rey for 18 years until Mourinho got there.

Get some perspective, please......

The mentality of the players is the KEY. It has to be right and when I look at the bulk of our players, a lot of them have been scarred with the LVG/Moyes years. What Jose was trying to say is that it takes time to get over that hoodoo. That was why he listed City’s final league positions of the last 5 seasons in comparison to ours.

Even before Pep, City won the PL twice and got to the semis of the CL. The last time United were in the semis was in 2011. Jose called it football heritage and one has to be very obtuse to disagree with what he was saying.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I have to agree with most of what Mourinho's saying, or trying to say at least. You've got to look at the bigger picture. Yes, we were shit against Sevilla. Twice. But we've been shit ever since Ferguson left. We've too many average players. I think the players he's bought have improved us more than any of the buys his predecessors made. We're generally playing better football than we were with Moyes and Van Gaal in charge. We're scoring more goals, getting more points and winning more trophies. Of course we're not where we want to be yet but at least we're on the up again. Moyes didn't achieve that. Van Gaal couldn't either. Jose has. Of course we should have beaten Sevilla. Of course our tactics were off with Rashford playing on the wrong flank and Mata being left out. Jose's got it wrong and a lot of our players didn't turn up. They're all at fault fur us being out of the CL but that doesn't mean the club isn't moving in the right direction as a whole. Let's just move on.
I personally think we have a solid team/squad. Easily good enough to have been capable of going through to next round. We had an easy route right through to the last 16.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just accept it was a bad performance and move on. This United team should have beaten Sevilla over 2 legs despite so called heritage. The whole point of the press conference was not wanting to accept the blame.
If the criticism of him had been measured, maybe it would have been different, but he was being written off as a has-been in the media. I wouldn't want him to say "yes it's true, I'm a shite manager and I don't know what I'm doing anymore". But I agree with you, terrible tie, but we move on.

Adisa

My worry is that he genuinely doesn't see anything wrong with how he approached both games, especially the second.

Ace of Spades

Blah, blah, just more excuses. The team is certainly not bad enough to lose to Sevilla.

Also, even if the talent is not there, there should be teamwork and work ethic and at least the balls to take an initiative in a must win game, and that should be coming from the manager. That has been missing for majority of his time here, which he conveniently ignores.

He seems to think that people are mad because we lost, when it was more about our manner of loss that people are pissed about.

I am not calling for his head, but he needs to understand that the football needs to be better, and people expect us to show a bit more initiative in our play.

Also, no one mentioned City, no idea why he is mentioning them, it is that crap show in the CL that people are mad about.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Also if you basically keep telling everyone who wants to listen that your team is not good enough, what does it do for their confidence. Are they all looking at each other thinking which ones of us doesn't he rate?

RedDevil@84

Ha ha, wrong. Still going. No idea wtf he’s going on about.
Reminds me of my assignments in college. When I prepare well to write it, it is short and precise.
When I half-prepare and half-screw up, I write much longer assignments beating all around the bush without a point.

Devil may care

Giving a pathetic little history lesson on everyone else's failures misses the fecking point, he wasn't booed because we went out, he was booed because the soulless, negative dreck he serves up and calls football is unacceptable no matter the result, it wasn't that Sevilla beat us, it's the ease in which they did it due to all the mistakes he made and tjhe mentality with which he has the team playing, but instead of owning it he lists off a bunch of results from the past and excuses himself of any fault, and fails to address the real issue with him as United manager, it's not the results Mourinho.

Status
Not open for further replies.