Jose Mourinho's press conference - Brighton (FA Cup) - 14:00 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

NK86

He talks about our squad being poor and then gives Rojo an extension

BigCaine

I'll ask you the same question I asked Skills, if we had beaten Sevilla would you want him out?

I'm definitely still pro Mourinho, but I think the tie against Sevilla was the poorest show the team has managed under Jose. Terrible. However, that one tie does not change my opinion and make me think we need to get rid because he's not up to the job. And I agree with him in bringing up the context of recent years, results and player acquisitions. It doesn't excuse the performances against Sevilla, but looking at things overall, it has a lot of weight.
I think the answer to that is simple, mourinho's football is results based with no value attached to how we get the results, most fans who want him out are following the same rules, if he can't get the results he isn't worth keeping. Until mourinho's football improves every time he loses a big game people will call for his head.

Data

Exactly!
Why comment about City players! We had 4 shots at goal compare to Seville 22 shots.
That is solely based on his pattern of play n not what Pep inherited from city.
I only hope our so called board are keeping notes.
The excuse he and people on here are giving would make sense if we were knocked out by a team of superior quality.

Bobski

People are not turning against him because of the results, it is the football and the experience of watching that turns so many off. Dull, uninspiring football with the occasional moment of individual quality and knowing that as soon as we play a good team you should forget any hopes of Utd taking the initiative.

JohnnyKills

I think he has a bit of a point there. Cohesion/continuity is, imo, the most under rated aspect in all of pro sports. Until United has a consistent starting 11, we will continue to see the ups and downs we have been.
Think the point is more that City have spent years building up their squad, whereas we had under-investment for years and have been forced to try and put a squad together in three/four seasons since Fergie left.

It's a fair point tbh. City's squad management has been great in recent years but they've been spending ridiculous amounts for years, and made loads of mistakes along the way, to get to this point.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Giving a pathetic little history lesson on everyone else's failures misses the fecking point, he wasn't booed because we went out, he was booed because the soulless, negative dreck he serves up and calls football is unacceptable no matter the result, it wasn't that Sevilla beat us, it's the ease in which they did it due to all the mistakes he made and tjhe mentality with which he has the team playing, but instead of owning it he lists off a bunch of results from the past and excuses himself of any fault, and fails to address the real issue with him as United manager, it's not the results Mourinho.
I don't know if he really believed the crowd booed cause we were knocked out or he's intentionally deflecting.

JohnnyKills

Mourinho better win the Brighton game playing well because otherwise i see much of the fence sitters right now jumping on the mourinho out bandwagon. Why on earth would you pore oil in what is already a blazing fire?
Think a lot of fence-sitters have jumped already!

Fully Fledged

Well said Sir, it was unacceptable when Moyes did the same.
I know the people who were going mad then are all oh well said Jose now. How is it different? How is a manager disrespecting the history off the club ever acceptable. He wont say that he made a mistake because his ego is to big for that so he lays waste to our history to show that he has done well.

Well with the CL being the major trophy in club football David Moyse took us further so what does that say about him?

Kapardin

Is he Van Gaal's descendant :houllier:
He was brought in to improve the record, not do the same as his predecessors. That's the whole fecking point of his appointment, so what's the purpose of giving us a history lesson?

Look, his heritage point makes perfect sense with respect to league position, but if he is telling us that a team with Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Pogba and Rashford cannot beat a team over two legs that lost 5-1 to Eibar in their league, then he can do one.

The end is near. Remind me of this interview when he was under huge pressure at Chelsea, can't stop defending himself even without journalist asking question.
Hyperbole much? He is going nowhere and is under no pressure other than some heat for Sevilla. We are 2nd and in FA Cup, not 10th.

Devil may care

I don't know if he really believed the crowd booed cause we were knocked out or he's intentionally deflecting.
Probably the latter, despite living in his own little bubble he can't be unaware of how he is viewed and how the football we play is viewed, basically the entire press conference was about avoiding all of the real issues and just listing off various scapegoats from previous managers to players to the investment at other cllubs, to avoid taking any responsibility for his shortcomings.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
People are not turning against him because of the results, it is the football and the experience of watching that turns so many off. Dull, uninspiring football with the occasional moment of individual quality and knowing that as soon as we play a good team you should forget any hopes of Utd taking the initiative.
Exactly. Anybody can be knocked out of a competition, but you want them to fight for the cause. As said we went out because he made mistakes, but he will not admit he made mistakes. Because of this his next bad result, again he will not take any blame it will be the players who well and truly cop it.

NK86

Don't think he gets it.
It's the way we were knocked out ffs!
He and his supporters here will never get that. Despite the horror showing, if we went through it would be papering over the obvious tactical flaws in that game.

izec

If he thinks he will be here for a long time, then he is wrong. I give him next season, then he will be gone.

1974_Fergie_Time

I'm fed up with him running the team down to make himself look better.

The reason that we lost Tuesday was down to his tactics. The way we played was terrible. We set up to sit back and fire long balls up the field to Fellaini against Sevilla. Fellaini FFS everybody knows that he can't header for shite.
We were still in the tie when Fellaini was on the pitch, fans clamouring for change brought Pogba on and pretty soon he was back to his usual not tracking back and letting Sevilla midfield pass through him as he stood and admired the goal

NK86

Exactly. Anybody can be knocked out of a competition, but you want them to fight for the cause. As said we went out because he made mistakes, but he will not admit he made mistakes. Because of this his next bad result, again he will not take any blame it will be the players who well and truly cop it.
Has he ever taken any blame in his career? He will blame the neighbour's dog before admitting to getting it wrong. He is an awful people manager but is even worse when it comes to looking inwards for ways to improve.

Adisa

If the team was good enough we would have beaten them, quite simply.
If our team isn't good enough to beat Sevilla, then he should be done for wasting £300m.
We are good enough to beat Sevilla ffs!
I wish people would stop believing this crap that our players are complete duds.

NecssryEvil

It is important but only to a point, those City players have been at the club for a number of years and played at different levels under different managers, it's not like being at a club for a certain amount of time means you automatically start to play better and more expansive football. Having a group that's familiar with each others game may make it easier to impart group styles and philosophies but it's still down to a manager to get them playing a certain way and bringing the best out of those players on an individual and collective level which is something Mourinho has struggled to do.
I just think some people feel like players are plug and play and expect instant success. How often since AS joined the squad (and earlier this year for that matter) have we seen players making hand gestures indicating - thought you were going this way, you should have gone that way, play the ball to my feet, etc.? Our best CB has been out for months, our 2nd best (PJ - arguably) is in witness protection again. We have no consistency at LB, our mid-field still needs help (and has been hit with injuries to compound the agony) and our attack is made up up mostly under 25 y/o players who are still learning their craft. And, this doesn't even address the amount of players that are new to the team either this year or last. I just think it takes more time than some seem to be willing to give. How is a manager supposed to "get them playing a certain way and bringing the best out of those players on an individual and collective level" when he is still introducing them to each other?

JohnnyKills

We were still in the tie when Fellaini was on the pitch, fans clamouring for change brought Pogba on and pretty soon he was back to his usual not tracking back and letting Sevilla midfield pass through him as he stood and admired the goal
Agree, the Pogba change definitely hurt us. Fellaini wasn't great either tbh.

NK86

It was the Sevilla change which his fans seem to completely forget. Had they had Yedder on from the beginning the tie would have been over before half time.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Of course perspective is necessary and he is correct in many of the points he makes but he would gain far mor credit with the fans by accepting that the other night was an abject failure from every perspective.

Skills

Snitch
"I am talking about statsh."

Losing it. He'll toddle off to Paris in the summer for a break and some gimme trophies.
A bit too hopeful.

Mourinhos recent Champions League record is even worse than PSGs. The only reason they've made it out of the last 16 in the last 3 years was when they beat him with 10 men :lol:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
The excuse he and people on here are giving would make sense if we were knocked out by a team of superior quality.
Bingo. This whole narrative doesn’t fit when we lost to a team who shouldn’t have had a chance.
Have you two only just started watching football? How often do managers own up to their mistakes following a loss?

The great man himself acknowledges the loss as "our" fault.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think the answer to that is simple, mourinho's football is results based with no value attached to how we get the results, most fans who want him out are following the same rules, if he can't get the results he isn't worth keeping. Until mourinho's football improves every time he loses a big game people will call for his head.
I don't think it is. I think the people who want him out hate his style of play. And they are invigorated when we have poor results. He had close to 60% support on the Caf up until the Sevilla game, now that's dropped to around 45% with a quarter wanting him out. I don't enjoy the defensive setup myself, but I also think that the defense needs sorting as well as the balance in midfield on on the right. I think he can do this and I don't see much point in getting him out when he's a few players from getting the team he wants.

If it were simply about results, then people would take that defeat on the chin but acknowledge that we are 2nd in the league with quite a healthy points tally, with a chance of winning the FA Cup.

Fully Fledged

No the tie changed when they brought someone on who could put the ball in the back of the net. They had a mass of chances before that but their starting striker was beyond useless.

Adisa

"Same page" = same sad reactions.

"..the boys coming back again on my page" = back to listening and following his coach and instructions in trainings.

Maybe.
I'm convinced he thinks there was nothing wrong with our approach to the game... absolutely convinced of it.

NK86

Have you two only just started watching football? How often do managers own up to their mistakes following a loss?

The great man himself acknowledges the loss as "our" fault.
Has SAF ever said that the team isn't good enough after every poor performance? Jose distances himself completely when we lose. He never owns up.

RedDevil@84

It was the Sevilla change which his fans seem to completely forget. Had they had Yedder on from the beginning the tie would have been over before half time.
That was part of Sevilla's tactics. They brought their best option late so that they could seal the match and not give Utd enough time to do a comeback. They might have seen Utd in last few matches and knew that the team sleeps till someone wakes them up.

Kag

Erm....
This is an odd remark. Some of those players were bang average before Guardiola came in and most of them have improved significantly. If anything, it begs the question: what has Mourinho done to improve the existing players already at the club.

Another fairly desperate media performance. The sort which Moyes and Van Gaal were lambasted for.

Status
Not open for further replies.