Jose Mourinho's press conference - Burnley(A) | 13:30 BST | Quotes updated in OP

C'est Moi Cantona

Ironic how someone with a user name of "C'est Moi Cantona" would say this, yes humility is what you prefer.

Mine is just a user name, but this is how Jose seems to actually be in the real world, and it's not great imo, but pat on the back for the bit of humour there anyway.

JohnnyKills

His trotting out of his record and telling everyone how great he is smacks of a man who is rapidly becoming yesterday's news and he increasingly looks like a footballing King Canute. Sad really.
Yeah it is. Legends shouldn't have to boast.

The quotes about Martial were a bit strange as well. Basically suggesting he wasn't bothered whether one of his players stays or goes.

Perhaps he's resigned to leaving at the end of the season. He must be sick of the circus by now.

FrantikChicken

There's a bit of a difference between Wengers recent record and Jose's, ridiculous point.

There's no reasonable viewpoint where a manager with a huge record of success loses the status it brings in a few seasons (whilst also winning trophies) because they've not won the PL recently.

Can you imagine someone asking Fergie that in 2005? :lol:

Well for reference (especially to the critics) read the nonsense in this article particularly from the supporter group because that's what you sound like with this nonsense.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/sep/27/championsleague.blackburn
Hahaha what an article. Really does sound just about the same

MV12

People criticizing him for talking about him. well, the Media are attacking him, what do you want him to do ? the stupid questions are all personal, they're not attacking the club or any player, they are attacking him.

It's common sense really. the only answer that was over the top is when he was asked What it means to be the boss and answered “I am the manager of one of the greatest clubs in the world, but I'm also one of the greatest managers in the world.”

For all the other instances, he answered what he should have. not saying anything to the media obviously did not work, let's see what his defiance can do.

Why can't we be like other clubs ? even the dippers get around their manager against any external attack and support them. and here we have people siding with the media just because of some agenda they have against the man. like it or not, he is our manager right now and he represents Manchester united. being against him and siding with the media is being against the club. you can dislike him, you can criticize him, but don't overdo it every opportunity you get, even when it's not in the interest of the club.

We have people fecking boycotting the club because of the manager, talk about a lack of loyalty... supporting your club is not what it used to be, at least not for us.

I don't know if people realize that the toxicity around the club is created by them. don't you think that the media looks to write on topic that sells ? and in order to do that, they see what's happening online ...
Wise words indeed!

Giggsyking

TBH, despite the fact I am one of those who wanted Mourinho out asap, but the match against spurs made me give an extra moment of thinking, the way he changed tactics to put Shaw and Valencia pressing all the way to spurs penalty area made me feel happy we moving forward, the way our back three was moved few meters forward compared to last season also makes me feel Mourinho dose actually want to play more attacking football.
The Q here, do we have the manpower to press teams high up for a whole season?

Cloudface

There's a bit of a difference between Wengers recent record and Jose's, ridiculous point.

There's no reasonable viewpoint where a manager with a huge record of success loses the status it brings in a few seasons (whilst also winning trophies) because they've not won the PL recently.

Well for reference (especially to the critics) read the nonsense in this article particularly from the supporter group because that's what you sound like with this nonsense.

I think they have been cutting and pasting the same "United in Crisis" article for twenty years now.

Thomas A.Anderson

TBH, despite the fact I am one of those who wanted Mourinho out asap, but the match against spurs made me give an extra moment of thinking, the way he changed tactics to put Shaw and Valencia pressing all the way to spurs penalty area made me feel happy we moving forward, the way our back three was moved few meters forward compared to last season also makes me feel Mourinho dose actually want to play more attacking football.
We don't have back 3 for high pressing. As we saw on Monday.

Just remember how City looked in first Guardiola season. Plenty of created chances but they conceded everytime the opponent attacked.

Borden

Did you even watch the conference?

He was asked if he was still a great manger and answered the question. Not sure what else the guy could do.
Not answer it? Or say "that's not for me to decide" or something like that. It's a stupid question that doesn't require an answer from him.

And I'm not just talking about this press conference genius. He bizarrely started bragging about the 3 titles he won with Chelsea after getting spanked by Spurs last week. It reeks of insecurity. He's manager of Manchester United, who gives the tiniest crap about the titles he's won elsewhere?

Last edited:

Greck

The pressing we saw was never going to be a mainstay. It was a tactical change for a specific opponent. Whether we won or lost. We used it against Arsenal last year. It's a tool in Jose's toolbox. Our regular compact lowblock style of defending works. It's just ugly to watch but that's not enough for the manager to abandon it if he believes it's the best method.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
can't see a CL draw thread. can someone give me a link. thanks

jem

That is a very interesting and relevant read at this time. It's amazing to think how some had turned on Fergie. I'm not confident in Mourinho's emulating Fergie's 2006-7 feats, but I think he's been ridiculously targeted by the media recently, and until he's fired or has quit, I think we need to stand solidly behind him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Klopp on Mourinho:

"What? What did he say? Now I'm interested. (gets it explained) He's right. He has won trophies in other countries. He is probably the most successful manager in the PL at moment. I've no problem. Should I watch Jose's press conferences now?!?"

"I don't watch Jose Mourinho press conferences; should I? When he said I haven't won anything outside of Germany he's right. That's easy to see."

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
How do you come to that conclusion? Do you believe his fate has already been decided no matter what the result against Burnley? Asking you this as I'm of that notion.
We're going to lose.

Kapardin

Klopp on Mourinho:

"What? What did he say? Now I'm interested. (gets it explained) He's right. He has won trophies in other countries. He is probably the most successful manager in the PL at moment. I've no problem. Should I watch Jose's press conferences now?!?"

"I don't watch Jose Mourinho press conferences; should I? When he said I haven't won anything outside of Germany he's right. That's easy to see."
Why would a reporter ask Klopp or Pep about what Jose said? It was just a fact that Jose's won more than most managers in the league. Was not directed against any particular manager.

This media witch-hunt is getting stupid.

fergieisold

Excellent presser by Jose. You can’t argue with anything he says both in this one and the one after the Spurs match. There’s a strange group of united fans that think he should be giving the press what they want.

He is 100% right that they should respect his record. All these people wanting poch or dreaming of building a time machine and getting Klopp or going for Zidane with his record and a team handed to him on a plate are deluded! They’ve won nothing vs Jose, yet they seem to bury the reality.

Greck

Why would a reporter ask Klopp or Pep about what Jose said? It was just a fact that Jose's won more than most managers in the league. Was not directed against any particular manager.

Watch the press conference. Klopp's name came up. This whole media conspiracy thing is paranoia

ash_86

Right. Last season it was Jose vs Conte. Pure click bait shits.

SteveJ

Scout
Take away rubbish 'stories' like "Club legend SLAMS manager" & "Boss wound up by other boss" and there'd be bugger-all to read on the back pages. Oh, except for transfer BS.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I've never liked Jose much as a character but it's hard not to watch these things and end up not routing for him.

The stupidity of the questions and the petty school bully nature of them. The very first question was completely and utterly pathetic...had nothing to do with anything other than spite and that set the tone for the whole thing.

What was needed though was for Jose to be responding to it as he has in the past week, right back when it all started. His press conferences after the Tottenham game and yesterday made me want to route for him, because everything he said was right, and there was passion in it.

We could have done with this 6+ months ago when all this started. Calling out journalists on their bullshit is a much better way to draw attention to yourslef and pick fights, as opposed to just droning on dishing out personal insults to random people who aren't even there, which is what he did too much last season.

hn4manunited

I watched the press conference in it’s entirety and see absolutely nothing wrong with how he responded to any of the questions. A few of the questions were downright out of order and we’re trying to get him to react otherwise it would have looked like he backed down to these bullies. The people who latched on the quotes and headlines need to have some perspective and context. Most of what he said has a bit of context to go with it and not just a sentence. I listen to Jose and I see an intelligent man who is trying to do what’s best for the club while swatting these flies that are buzzing around him trying to belittle his achievements and the work that is being done.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Well, first of all, I'm not contradicting he has been (key word) one of the best managers, he hasn't shown to be the best in quite some time, Pep has outclassed him
Puhlease..Guardiola also outclassed everyone else in the league. Yet JM was the ONLY one any where near. Yet the ones who ended up further back like Klopp and Pochetino keep getting more respect. Frankly its a bad joke...

I dont like JM one but. His current is treatment is plain appalling

and he's not in front of the press claiming to be the best.
Neither is JM for that matter. All he wants rather is the likes of you and the double standards press and punditry to give him his due respect. In my book, that really isn't too much to ask.

He can claim reaching second is his greatest achievement all he wants, do you see an actual team developing in the three years he's been in charge?
Yes. That is why we went ftom 6th to 2nd. Even inspite of having a weak defence and a dead right flank last seasin. Then had this season fecked up by an accountant believing he knows better than the coaching staff he employs....

Because every time I think there might be something, they take steps back. My only point is that he is getting this treatment from the press because all he can talk about whenever he's in difficulty is his past glory. It's pathetic,....
Finishing second just last season doesnt count as 'past glory'. Franakly its ashaming that a manager who finished 4th and trophyless, and another who finished third and lost a UCL final shamefully are getting more respect domestically than a man who out did both domestically...
I'd rather have the season Liverpool had last year than finishing second with no real trophies to show for it.
What nonsense is this? Finishing 3rd, over 20 points behind the champ and getting embarassed in the UCL is better than finishing in second, closer to the champ and unlikely losing an FA CUP? Are you for real?:lol::lol:

Last edited:

HailtotheKing

I watched the press conference in it’s entirety and see absolutely nothing wrong with how he responded to any of the questions. A few of the questions were downright out of order and we’re trying to get him to react otherwise it would have looked like he backed down to these bullies. The people who latched on the quotes and headlines need to have some perspective and context. Most of what he said has a bit of context to go with it and not just a sentence. I listen to Jose and I see an intelligent man who is trying to do what’s best for the club while swatting these flies that are buzzing around him trying to belittle his achievements and the work that is being done.
That's fair enough but despite the leading questions out for blood, he was also asked a very simple one that would have got the fans back on side. He was asked if he could describe the love he has for Man Utd and what it means to be the manager. That was an open goal and like Lukaku he smashed it past the post by talking about how great he was. Sure he said we're one of the greatest clubs in the world but he showed no passion, no personal connection. He made it about his ego and nothing else.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
If you want to live in the past, maybe. By thar logic Wenger is a better manager than Poch and Klopp.

Remember what the great man used to say about past success? It's irrelevant, all that matters is the next title/cup. Can you see Jose winning another PL title the way he's going? I can't.
At the end of the day, what is wenger remembered for? The invincibles, 3 premier league titles buildinga new stadium, bringing in sport science etc etc. What is Poch being remembered for? Playing good football? Kloop two bundesliga and flopping in every final? Jose most recent title was 14/15 and most recent trophy was with you lot. 2 trophies in 3 seasons is not a bad return,.

::sonny::

Heidegger was a card-carrying member of the Nazi party, I think. If Jose had quoted him, every headline in England would have been along the lines of "Mourinho Reveals Love For Hitler" or "Mourinho's Secret Nazi Past".
:lol:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm conflicted. There is a lot to dislike about Jose Mourinho's management of United. His tactics, for one.

But a part of me can't help but root for him to turn this around, and shut the media up.

Shiva87

I'm conflicted. There is a lot to dislike about Jose Mourinho's management of United. His tactics, for one.

But a part of me can't help but root for him to turn this around, and shut the media up.
That's what he wants you to feel. Forget my style, but get behind the team and make it an us v/s them. I think he saw the criticism he received for his playing style last season and that's why he is constantly trying to establish that his 2nd position 'was his greatest achievement'. It's to wash over the fan memory of the dire boring football we have played most of last season.

I want to root for United to turn this around and go on a run of 10-15 games unbeaten. But, I sure as hell don't want to root for Jose. At this point, most of his problems have also been created by him.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That's what he wants you to feel. Forget my style, but get behind the team and make it an us v/s them. I think he saw the criticism he received for his playing style last season and that's why he is constantly trying to establish that his 2nd position 'was his greatest achievement'. It's to wash over the fan memory of the dire boring football we have played most of last season.

I want to root for United to turn this around and go on a run of 10-15 games unbeaten. But, I sure as hell don't want to root for Jose. At this point, most of his problems have also been created by him.
With or without his efforts, I'm more likely to support a United manager than to join the media in baying for said manager's blood.

SteveJ

Scout
Guardian said:
The last time United had such a poor start, in 1992-93, the headlines screamed: “Bottoms Up, Fergie!” with Sir Alex Ferguson’s team at the foot of the table, and in the book he brought out the following summer he wrote: “It felt like the world had come to an end.” Yet United recovered from losing their opening two fixtures to win the title and the book in question was called Just Champion!. It was the first of Ferguson’s 13 league titles
Two games.

Denis79

What is the IQ level of these journos ?
English sport journos are pretty poor by many standards. They rather speculate and write about altercations that might have happened or at times even try to start one just to have a scandal to write about than trying to actually report about the game.

Shiva87

With or without his efforts, I'm more likely to support a United manager than to join the media in baying for said manager's blood.
I want him to do well, but I won't be concerned if he is sacked either. All I care about is the club moving forward and we can't be having such a circus around transfers, management etc.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Wenger is without a shadow of a doubt a better manager than Klopp and Pochettino. He won 3 FA cups in a row while apparently being a 'dinosaur', with his last FA cup being a miracle due to Arsenal being heavy underdogs against both City and Chelsea.

Salah was a 4th choice signing for Klopp, with him favouring a few players he'd seen in Bundesliga (Pulisic and Draxler were among them). Klopp had to be convinced to sign a player and he turned out to be a Messi/Ronaldo level of goalscorer. And he still has won feck all.

Imagine was Wenger could do if he had a player score a goal a game to bail him out, he might actually have won the league again.