Jose Mourinho's press conference - Burnley(A) | 13:30 BST | Quotes updated in OP

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What's funny?

He is one of the best managers, and has never been shy about telling everyone.
And I have always found it amusing, after that he complains about being a target.

UncleBob

He is a bit like Cartman, demanding people to respect his authority

Minimalist

It's a fair point, he's always been like this.

Just different perception now because of the current state of the team/club
He’s not though?

He’s just talking shite (to put it plainly) to say that in 2018. You can get away with being a cnut when you’re the man.

Mick321

He certainly has the biggest ego of any manager. Perhaps instead of researching how many trophies other managers and himself have won he could do a course in coaching attacking football.

beedoubleyou

Not a huge fan of Mourinho, but that journalist who asked him if he's still a great manager deserves a fecking smack. What a bellend.

TheGame

When will this idiot realise that all these comments just create more ammunition for the press and more pressure on the players. He should just comment on the upcoming game. Sick of these antics.

iKeano

Gone after this game. 100%.
I'd dearly love it, but fear he'll be glumly loitering around Old Trafford like he's there under duress well into 2019, dragging everyone down into his vacuous mire with him.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I really don't know why he has to say this.

I actually thought his behaviour after the Spurs defeat was perfect. Put his arm around some of the players, applauded and praised the fans, went to war with the media. It looked to me like the perfect platform to create a siege mentality.

Now he's gone and alienated the squad again by essentially calling them shit. I should've given up long ago at trying to understand Jose. I'm not even sure it's calculated anymore on his end.
What's he said about them?

cyberman

I actually thought his behaviour after the Spurs defeat was perfect. Put his arm around some of the players, applauded and praised the fans, went to war with the media. It looked to me like the perfect platform to create a siege mentality.

Now he's gone and alienated the squad again by essentially calling them shit. I should've given up long ago at trying to understand Jose. I'm not even sure it's calculated anymore on his end.
He was always going to defend himself. Sir Alex would have murdered somebody after the way the media have behaved over the last two weeks.

macheda14

Is that a quote?

Bit small time regardless of the context.
I mean he was asked 'if he would still be a great manager if he did not win the title with United' (BBC). He probably should say that it isn't a relevant question, but then again if you're asked a stupid question by someone you have contempt towards (the media) then you're going to cover all your bases and let the person know you think that they're chatting shit.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let's be honest he's only here to fuel his ego.

He loves his name / face being all over the papers, whether it's good or bad press.

Being at United is the perfect platform for him in that sense.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
He’s not though?

He’s just talking shite (to put it plainly) to say that in 2018. You can get away with being a cnut when you’re the man.
Well, to say he's not one of the best managers in world football is pure shite talk from your end.

Is he suited to us? No but, that doesn't take away anything from his achievements and the fact he's currently managing in the biggest league in the world, for the 2nd biggest club in the world.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Insulting another member
Do any of you lot actually read the press conferences or watch them? I’ve just read it on the site and you’re all idiots following headlines suiting your agendas. What a shock. Place is full of absolute cnuts these days

Jazz

Sometimes I think our press officer isn't firm enough. She seems a nice lady but would it hurt to tell the press beforehand that questions should be on the upcoming fixture and nothing else. Once they start varying off track, cut them off and go to the next question.

Minimalist

He was always going to defend himself. Sir Alex would have murdered somebody after the way the media have behaved over the last two weeks.
I would prefer Fergie telling certain reporters they were lying bastards and it’s their job to tell the truth, to a bunch of crap about how great he is.

Boycott

I saw after his RESPECT rant a lot of journalists on twitter brought up his attacks on Wenger as a way of making him look hypocritical (which is correct) but none of them dared to say it to his face I presume.

Smores

How do you get alienated the squad from that? :annoyed:

It's just usual Jose drawing attention to himself rather than the players. It's amusing some see this kind of behaviour as defending himself but when has any of these reactions caused the media to turn on the players?

Thomas A.Anderson

When will this idiot realise that all these comments just create more ammunition for the press and more pressure on the players. He should just comment on the upcoming game. Sick of these antics.
He was asked direct question: "Are you still one of the best managers in the world?" I'm paraphrasing a bit.

Apart of knocking out that bellend, what could he answer in that position?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Let's be honest he's only here to fuel his ego.

He loves his name / face being all over the papers, whether it's good or bad press.

Being at United is the perfect platform for him in that sense.
He's arguably at an age which should be the peak of his career and he has seen more success than most managers see at that age. If he can't afford an ego, no one does.

Minimalist

Well, to say he's not one of the best managers in world football is pure shite talk from your end.

Is he suited to us? No but, that doesn't take away anything from his achievements and the fact he's currently managing in the biggest league in the world, for the 2nd biggest club in the world.
In the current time period? I’m not talking about the past...

If you are, go ahead and prove it to me. There’s certainly nothing world class or top manager about the job he’s done at United so far.

red4ever 79

Sometimes I think our press officer isn't firm enough. She seems a nice lady but would it hurt to tell the press beforehand that questions should be on the upcoming fixture and nothing else. Once they start varying off track, cut them off and go to the next question.
100% agree with this. Was there an update on Dalot? Jones, not that I give a s8it about him, but as a fan it would be nice to have questions about the actual team and game

Jazz

I mean he was asked 'if he would still be a great manager if he did not win the title with United' (BBC). He probably should say that it isn't a relevant question, but then again if you're asked a stupid question by someone you have contempt towards (the media) then you're going to cover all your bases and let the person know you think that they're chatting shit.
That's precisely what he should have said under the circumstances that he finds himself in. The more low key, the better. He doesn't have to talk about his past achievements because they will always exist regardless of what is happening now. If he wasn't so insecure he would realise that.

Watch them take the piss out his reply now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's arguably at an age which should be the peak of his career and he has seen more success than most managers see at that age. If he can't afford an ego, no one does.
While he's earnt the right to do that, he shouldn't have to be blowing his own trumpet to stay relevant.

Just do the job and get the results and everybody will agreeing. I feel he will never truly be 1 of us until he stops this "I and them" approach.

Minimalist

He was asked direct question: "Are you still one of the best managers in the world?" I'm paraphrasing a bit.

Apart of knocking out that bellend, what could he answer in that position?
“I’m not interested in talking about myself, let’s talk about the players/game.”

Simple.

Jojo <3 Mou

If you are, go ahead and prove it to me. There’s certainly nothing world class or top manager about the job he’s done at United so far.
I think your definition of "the past" and "current period" may be necessary.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Do any of you lot actually read the press conferences or watch them? I’ve just read it on the site and you’re all idiots following headlines suiting your agendas. What a shock. Place is full of absolute cnuts these days
That will come in the way of their agenda. I mean this place is full of idiots who think Jose is in this job merely to satisfy his ego. How do you expect someoone so stupid to go read whole quotes and context before talking shit?

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Honestly, at this point of his career, he shouldn't be falling anymore for that kind of trap. The journalist just asks that question to get a juicy quote and he gives exactly that.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Name managers that have consistently done more than Jose has in the last 10 years. Not counting his previous UEFA Cup, CL and few title wins at Chelsea....

Pep, Zidane & Simeone?

Conte possibly but he’s in a similar position to current Jose. Allegri? Possibly. Emery? Klopp? Pitch? None of them