Jose Mourinho's press conference - Burnley(A) | 13:30 BST | Quotes updated in OP

Treble

Past achievements? Interesting qualifier. Just how long ago is the past? 5 years, 2 years? 1 year?
Things change quickly in football. In 05-07 Benitez was among the best. Several years later he wasn't among the best any more.

Jose's last great season was with Madrid (11-12), about 6 years ago. Ranieri won the PL with Leicester a year after Jose won it with Chelsea. Wouldn't count that title as a top achievement.

Jose's last games in the CL:

2014: Atleti 1:4 at home
2015: 10-man PSG 2:2 at home
2018 Sevilla 1:2 at home

3 times in a row he was humilated at home in the last 3 CL campaigns. Facts speak for themselves.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
My problem is that even if we win 0-5 I'd still have doubts. Not regular enough, unpredictable...

That's why I keep sayin' we need 8-10 consecutive wins, starting with Burnley.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
While he's earnt the right to do that, he shouldn't have to be blowing his own trumpet to stay relevant.

Just do the job and get the results and everybody will agreeing. I feel he will never truly be 1 of us until he stops this "I and them" approach.
He needs to do something to get his mojo going again. May be poke someone on the sideline or something. Not Sean Dyche though, he'd feck him up.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
What is even the point of these threads if you're going to post a grand total of 1 quote and then needlessly dissect it for 3 pages? You absolute morons.

Here's the actual press-conference:

TheGame

Yeah, you're over exaggerating there by an absolute mile.

It's shite on the pitch, no question about that but, you're being overdramatic with your last point
He could have handled the question much better. Instead the journo baited him and he took the bait. Someone else could have easily given a better answer or even better, turned it back on the person asking.

If this was an opposition manager, we would be laughing our faces off. Its more depressing hes our manager.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
What is even the point of these threads if you're going to post a grand total of 1 quote and then needlessly dissect it for 3 pages? You absolute morons.

Here's the actual press-conference:

https://twitter.com/cmwinterburn/status/1035507310708371456
https://twitter.com/cmwinterburn/status/1035507451834101760
https://twitter.com/cmwinterburn/status/1035507610785603585
https://twitter.com/cmwinterburn/status/1035507721775325185
Good man! Doing the lords work.

Jojo <3 Mou

Personally I'd gladly swap those cup wins for a league win, esp in the way City walked it last season.
Who wouldn't?

But as you have said City has been the only one to win like that and they've done it once.
It's obviously not easy and the support and time required is also obvious.

Nr.7

Jose is the Kanye West of football management.

Zlatattack

Why is everyone so worked up about him defending himself. He's entitled to defend himself.

Treble

Last season was one of his best achievements...Is he saying that the squad is terrible?

Jojo <3 Mou

Things change quickly in football. In 05-07 Benitez was among the best. Several years later he wasn't among the best any more.

Jose's last great season was with Madrid (11-12), about 6 years ago. Ranieri won the PL with Leicester a year after Jose won it with Chelsea. Wouldn't count that title as a top achievement.

Jose's last games in the CL:

2014: Atleti 1:4 at home
2015: 10-man PSG 2:2 at home
2018 Sevilla 1:2 at home

3 times in a row he was humilated at home in the last 3 CL campaigns. Facts speak for themselves.
So you haven't answered the question.

Ranieri won the PL with Leicester a year after Jose won it with Chelsea. Wouldn't count that title as a top achievement.
You have got to be joking!

So, Pep won the League 2 years after Ranieri I'm not gonna count that as a significant achievement.
:lol::eek::houllier:

Pep going out in the CL on aggregate:
5-0 vs Real Madrid
5-3 vs Barcelona
2-2 vs Atletico
5-5 vs Monaco
5-1 vs Liverpool

Is he a good coach?

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Am I the only one who finds these quotes quite funny? I can't wait to watch it in full, rather than let myself be manipulated by the media quoting bits and pieces without context like they did on Monday night.

roseguy64

Last season was one of his best achievements...Is he saying that the squad is terrible?
It's more a reaction to people saying the squad is terrible and its a miracle we finished second considering the greatness of Liverpool and Spurs.

El Zoido

It’s not a great squad in all honesty. The entire back line is sub-par, RW non-existent, and lacks depth in key positions. I say this irrespective of Jose’s culpability here, it is what it is.

Smores

Well i guess it depends if you're a glass half full kinda guy or just an absolute miserable thunder c.a.t

RedDevil@84

I don't care if he comes with a "fachts" sheet or comes to the press conference with a "I am the best" t-shirt.
What happens on the pitch on weekend matters.

ash_86

If it wasn't for DGG we wouldn't have made the top four. So points total is meaningless.
Liverpool wouldn't have without Salah , Spurs wouldn't have without Harry Kane. What are you getting at here?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yeah but if City didn't exist we'd have won the title so....yay?!?
and where will we finish this season... 6th (6 points off Arsenal in 5th)... 2nd... currently 13th - That second place is irrelevant if we fall of a cliff this season.

Treble

So you haven't answered the question.

You have got to be joking!

So, Pep won the League 2 years after Ranieri I'm not gonna count that as a significant achievement.
:lol::eek::houllier:
Well, I answered it. Pointless to argue with you, obviously.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I wonder if behind the scenes our lady might be too friendly with them? I dunno, but she definitely needs to be firmer.
IMO she also undermined LVG by pulling faces to the delight of her press friends in one particular conference.

Aloysius's Back 3

If it wasn't for my dad's penis I wouldn't be here bugging you. So, points total is pretty fecking indicative at the end of the season.
Liverpool had a more productive season than us last year & were below us. They managed to raise a tier above where they are whilst we just managed to achieve occasional what our manager prioritizes - which is results.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Mourinho reminds me of Donald Trump. Completely unable to accept any form of criticism. Completely convinced of the rightness of everything he does, even when it's proved to be flawed or downright incorrect. Constant need to attack and belittle his rivals and detractors. Depicts everything he has done as being incredible, without exception. Never accepts any blame for anything that goes wrong. Monstrous egotism and egocentrism. Previous record of bigotry, particularly towards women.