Jose Mourinho's press conference - West Ham United(A) | 13:30 BST

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
So he has said some are basically a bit soft, which we have been saying for ages. People saying he shouldn't say it in public, this time he has not named anybody and it is you who are speculating who he is talking about. He cannot say anything in public, but fans who supposedly support the team can say god know what all over social media, sometimes getting personal and that is alright. Everything is a public domain nowadays, nothing stays secret, so there is no point getting all offended for the players, they are quite prepared to leak information from the club when it suits them.
Totally agree. Nothing wrong with what he said. Imagine some of the posters here playing for United. They'd be chronically offended.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
While I agree with Jose that some players don't have the right mentality, he isn't doing anything to make it better, only worse.

He isn't getting them revved up and wanting to fight, he's knocking them back in their shell.

klsv

If Jose's words knock our players back into their shell, and hurt them, then may god have mercy on us should they ever go into a neck to neck title race. Will probably take Fred The Red with a lot of candy to get them out from underneath their beds at Lowry and to the team bus on a match day.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yet he's still much more positive than your average caf poster.
If they read the caf they would never leave their homes. The varying of opinions as well in a gamethread, one says someone is having a brilliant game while someone else says they are invisible.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Jose's supporters don't seem to want to address the fact that his approach has not worked for 2 years. You need a balanced approach in management. It's also taken him 2 years to figure this out? Why are some of his purchases also 'soft'? Surely his judgment has to be called into question?

He constantly plays Young for eg. Young has never been an outstanding player for us and has been with the team since SAF left and we have been underachieving. Would he not be a player that would fit the bill of 'not being good enough'? Yet the manager values him.

minoo-utd

He is totally right though. For me he still needs 3-4 players minimum which he believes they are good enough for the team, will the board give him that required support in clearing out and bringing in.

beedoubleyou

While I'm very much not a fan of Mourinho and I've grown tired and impatient with his direction, he's said nothing wrong here. We're coming up to a summer window. Do mangers believe in the players they're trying to offload in the summer? No. Can some improve and be a better player? Yes. Are there players who are already performing at the required level? At least one.

Is this post finished? Yes.

Smores

Jose's supporters don't seem to want to address the fact that his approach has not worked for 2 years. You need a balanced approach in management. It's also taken him 2 years to figure this out? Why are some of his purchases also 'soft'? Surely his judgment has to be called into question?

He constantly plays Young for eg. Young has never been an outstanding player for us and has been with the team since SAF left and we have been underachieving. Would he not be a player that would fit the bill of 'not being good enough'? Yet the manager values him.
So you're slagging him off for generally saying some players arent good enough whilst also slagging him off for publically supporting a player :houllier:

His approach has worked we're making progress. Mkhi is the only signing that hasn't worked out and no manager is fool proof on transfers. Young has made a solid contribution when called upon and will mo doubt be replaced, you can't change an entire team overnight

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Well, I find this very refreshing.

I'm not looking at it from a "he's supporting the players, he's criticising the players" point of view..
I'm looking at it from a, "That's a winning mentality!" and by Christ, that has been needed since 2013

Whether it works out or not next season is another thing.

edgar allan

Some of them are not good enough, and everyone knows it. 3 games left and some of these players can leave. Jose is going to play the players he trusts in the final anyway. Players like Darmian and Blind know they’re done.
Darmian and Blind haven't played this year so can't really blame them for poor performances?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I hate defending Jose on matters like this but some posters here will always find an excuse to say bad things about our manager. You call him an awful and classless man because he spoke the truth - many of our players lack the talent and/or talent to play for manutd! Something we have been crying all the time. Did he call out any player? No. Did he say that every one is bad? No. I don‘t sincerely know what some people demand from him, to come out and say all players are good enough? He is not Klopp!
And as for the Fellaini issue, i want him gone too but i fullyu understands why jose wants him- he might not have the talent but he fully applies himself when he plays and is tactical weapon for the manager.
Good post!

Dinghy

This guy is full of shit. LVG and Moyes didn't get away with the "players not good enough" excuse, why should Mourinho get away with it after spending shitloads of money?

The "funny" thing is that most of the players he actually rates, is definitely not good enough for this club anymore, or ever was (Fellaini, Young, Smalling, Mata, Valencia).

el3mel

Didn't he just say the things said here anyway ? The players aren't slaughtered in their threads for nothing after every loss as far as I'm concerned.

oz insomniac

Reading these posts I find it astounding that some snowflakes are suggesting a manager should not criticise players and ask that some of them lift their game to achieve the required results.

What profession do you work in where the boss just praises you, this is a career where players are paid tens of thousands per week, offers adulation and therefore you shouldn't be criticised?

There are too many prepared to savage JM without looking at the reality of the situation, a club that loses against weak opponents with some players obviously not measuring up, particularly when it opens further opportunities. With tongue in cheek, those that look at JM as if he needs to massage those egos must be in the public service, the results driven industries would chew them up, if you can't reach the targets DCM ( don't come Monday)

JM is not the devil incarnate , he is tasked with getting the club back to its previous position , not apologise for doing it to some overpaid and underachieving Prima donnas.

Canagel

He complains about the quality of the squad but continues to keep/ persist with mediocre players like Valencia, Young, Fellaini, Mata etc and other average like Smalling, Jones, Herrera. He isn't even in position to clear out these players because there's another level of mediocre just below that with Darmian, Blind, Shaw and others who've been strongly linked with moves away. I can't really feel sorry for him. The clear out should've been already well under way. Darmian for instance shouldn't be here for this season. You can't have a perfect squad but this is Manchester United and several of our players don't have the quality to play for the club. We are trying to compete with Real, Barcelona, Bayern but do you think they would take any of these players off us?

Ban

We all know we need new players and some of them are not good enough. But God forbid that miserable git says it. Obsession with his demeanor and the things he say in the pressers is hilarious. He could say that white is white and some would slag him for that.

edgar allan

Didn't he just say the things said here anyway ? The players aren't slaughtered in their threads for nothing after every loss as far as I'm concerned.
True. He just missed out any self appraisal on his performance.

RedPnutz

His approaches has not worked for two years yet we won the Europa league last season and are currently in our best league position since SAF left?

What the hell is wrong with some of the posters here? I get that you hate the guy and he makes you depressed.

The simple thing is stop watching or supporting the club. And no this isn’t some top red rant. It’s simple stuff - if watching Mourinho is so painful then go and find joy somewhere. You don’t need to suffer anymore.

RedPnutz

This guy is full of shit. LVG and Moyes didn't get away with the "players not good enough" excuse, why should Mourinho get away with it after spending shitloads of money?

The "funny" thing is that most of the players he actually rates, is definitely not good enough for this club anymore, or ever was (Fellaini, Young, Smalling, Mata, Valencia).
Because he actually is producing results better than LVG or Moyes?

As to whether a player is good enough or not, I’d trust the judgment of a successful professional manager over entitled irrational and agenda-driven posters on a forum board.

PepsiCola

His approaches has not worked for two years yet we won the Europa league last season and are currently in our best league position since SAF left?

What the hell is wrong with some of the posters here? I get that you hate the guy and he makes you depressed.

The simple thing is stop watching or supporting the club. And no this isn’t some top red rant. It’s simple stuff - if watching Mourinho is so painful then go and find joy somewhere. You don’t need to suffer anymore.
Is a europa league (with a 6th place finish) and a 2nd place finish where we were out of the title race in early december good enough?

Especially given the money spent?

RedPnutz

Is a europa league (with a 6th place finish) and a 2nd place finish where we were out of the title race in early december good enough?

They were good considering where we were prior. Didn’t Man City also spend a shitload of money last season and won nothing? Also we earn our own money, what’s wrong with spending it? We have always been big spenders since SAF’s time and we never won the league every year.

Guardiola has spent nearly 200m more, had a better team and is has broken every single PL record. So yes! Considering our PL games versus City amounted to +-0 points for both sides, what more did you want?

Unless the only "good enough" second season is 100+ points?

Let's not forget in that first season City spent more money, already had a better squad and won nothing at all.

PepsiCola

Guardiola has spent nearly 200m more, had a better team and is has broken every single PL record. So yes! Considering our PL games versus City amounted to +-0 points for both sides, what more did you want?

Unless the only "good enough" second season is 100+ points?

Let's not forget in that first season City spent more money, already had a better squad and won nothing at all.
Personally, I'd be fine with this season had the quality of football on display not been so poor at times. Yes there's progression in the league standing, but watching us play is a damn miserable chore at times. Especially knowing you have downright miserable comments coming from a manager who rarely takes responsibility coming after games.

Mourinho identified 4 players we wanted in his first summer, got them and said we'd challenge for the league. He got 3 out of 4 he wanted last summer, said he was happy and we would challenge for the league. Hasn't happened. Brought in his 4th player and there hasn't been any real improvement again. So the money issue holds no ground with me when in 2 seasons, Mourinho got the 8 players he wanted and hasn't really delivered.

In City's first season there was a progression to a style of play we'd see this season. Even though they won nothing, you could see the foundation was there to a big second season. 2 seasons in and I see no such progression under Mourinho - there's no recognisable style of play or one we look to be building towards. Guardiola being a much better coach also factors in, not just the money spent.

An FA cup win and 2nd place finish is barely passable, as was last season thanks to the Europa league win. Next season he has got to be challenging for the title with some cohesive football on display. Right now, it doesn't look close to happening. City will strengthen further, as will Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea (the latter 2 with new manager) - I don't really see what Mournho is building towards. What kind of players he could bring in to solidify the non-existent system he wants us to play.

An FA cup win and 2nd place finish is barely passable, as was last season thanks to the Europa league win.
Jesus, you'd be a difficult CEO to work for.

I think you need to reconsider the position we were in when Mourinho took over @PepsiCola. We were quite clearly the 5th best team in the league, we're now the 2nd best team.
The table absolutely does not lie, no matter how you try to dress it up.
And yes, obviously next year needs to see further improvements.

PepsiCola

Jesus, you'd be a difficult CEO to work for.

I think you need to reconsider the position we were in when Mourinho took over @PepsiCola. We were quite clearly the 5th best team in the league, we're now the 2nd best team.
The table absolutely does not lie, no matter how you try to dress it up.
And yes, obviously next year needs to see further improvements.
Let me clarify, for the style of play it's barely passable for me. I'd be more allowing had we been a entertaining side to watch. But personally, given the signings we've made 2nd and an FA cup - given the early knockout in the CL and general style of play, is just passable.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Ferguson definitely said things like this too at times.

Let me clarify, for the style of play it's barely passable for me. I'd be more allowing had we been a entertaining side to watch.
So you didn't enjoy watching the following games this season? United didn't entertain you @PepsiCola?

• WHU (h) 4-0
• Swansea (h) 4-0
• Everton (h) 4-0
• City (a) 2-3
• Chelsea (h) 2-1
• Spurs (h) 1-0
• Liverpool (h) 2-1
• CSKA (h) 4-1
• Tottenham (Wembley) 2-1
• Palace (h) 4-0
• Arsenal (a) 1-3
• Palace (a) 2-3

:confused:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Some of the bile in this thread is embarrassing.

I agree with you, piss off and support another club is you are so spoilt that United aren't good enough for you.

feck, I lived through the wilderness years and I was only a kid for most of it, imagine only winning the odd FA Cup for over 20 years?

RedDevil@84

As someone said, Jose should just not talk or give a reply "It is confidential" to every question in all press conferences

Dinghy

Because he actually is producing results better than LVG or Moyes?

As to whether a player is good enough or not, I’d trust the judgment of a successful professional manager over entitled irrational and agenda-driven posters on a forum board.
The results are only marginally better, while the football is still unexciting and boring as feck more often than not. I trust my own eyes when I judge players, and some of Mourinho's (and LVG's) most trusted players should have left the club years ago. Their mentality must be fecking superb, because their footballing abilities certainly aren't.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
While his constant whinging and whining is tiresome, i have no problem with his candidness on this occasion. Some of the performances that these United players have put in in these past few weeks (or throughout this season quite frankly) have been appalling.

If we had a manager who failed to install a certain attitude and would praise the players or basically ignore their shortcomings (à la Wenger) we would probably be pulling our hair out in frustration at the fact that he didn't hold the players responsible. There's times when criticising Jose is absolutely warranted, but i don't think this occasion is one of them.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The results are only marginally better, while the football is still unexciting and boring as feck more often than not. I trust my own eyes when I judge players, and some of Mourinho's (and LVG's) most trusted players should have left the club years ago. Their mentality must be fecking superb, because their footballing abilities certainly aren't.

How do you work that out? The results are way better. I'm with you on the football (for the most part) but i don't see how you can come to the conclusion that the results are only marginally better.

Member 90678

Let me clarify, for the style of play it's barely passable for me. I'd be more allowing had we been a entertaining side to watch. But personally, given the signings we've made 2nd and an FA cup - given the early knockout in the CL and general style of play, is just passable.
If we had been more entertaining to watch but finished 5th would you be pleased?