Jose Mourinho's press conference - West Ham United(A) | 13:30 BST

Camilo

So you didn't enjoy watching the following games this season? United didn't entertain you @PepsiCola?

• WHU (h) 4-0
• Swansea (h) 4-0
• Everton (h) 4-0
• City (a) 2-3
• Chelsea (h) 2-1
• Spurs (h) 1-0
• Liverpool (h) 2-1
• CSKA (h) 4-1
• Tottenham (Wembley) 2-1
• Palace (h) 4-0
• Arsenal (a) 1-3
• Palace (a) 2-3

:confused:
To be fair, we've been pretty awful to watch this season. Good results in a sea of forgettable performances.

Laphroaig

Momochiru

So you didn't enjoy watching the following games this season? United didn't entertain you @PepsiCola?

• WHU (h) 4-0
• Swansea (h) 4-0
• Everton (h) 4-0
• City (a) 2-3
• Chelsea (h) 2-1
• Spurs (h) 1-0
• Liverpool (h) 2-1
• CSKA (h) 4-1
• Palace (h) 4-0
• Arsenal (a) 1-3
• Palace (a) 2-3

That's around 1/3rd of our games. Another 1/3rd of our games were ok to watch, but nothing too exiting. The last 1/3rd were pretty frustrating to watch. Personally I'm ok with that - you can't have entertainment all the time.

Dinghy

How do you work that out? The results are way better.
In terms of having us competing for the league. Finishing at 4th place, 17 points behind the winner (LVG) or finishing 2nd, 17 points (or 20) behind the winner doesn't make that much difference to me. Mourinho has done the bare minimum of what is expected from him, which is to have us qualify for the CL, two years in a row.

ash_86

Is this the only forum where talking up a rival team manager gets you praise more than your own manager in spite of team doing well? How did we even get here?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

• WHU (h) 4-0
• Swansea (h) 4-0
• Everton (h) 4-0
• City (a) 2-3
• Chelsea (h) 2-1
• Spurs (h) 1-0
• Liverpool (h) 2-1
• CSKA (h) 4-1
• Palace (h) 4-0
• Arsenal (a) 1-3
• Palace (a) 2-3

I wouldn't describe a fair chunk of those as entertaining performances. Big wins, yes, but the likes of Spurs (H), Chelsea (H), Liverpool (H), Arsenal (A), Palace (A) were largely dross, with inspired bail outs in important moments. Palace away was one of the most tumescent games I've seen in a long time.

We've learned to turn games around but it would be very charitable to describe what we've churned out for much of the season as 'entertaining'.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I read some things on bbc, i guess from that press conference. He clearly had a dig at guardiola with some comments. He said stuff about buying goalkeepers two times, buying central defenders two times and how it is the way in creating perfect team. And if you can't do that, you must play players that you don't like.
I think that with those comments he is sending message to board and fans; " give me huge amount money if you want title next season". I love the man, but some things no matter how true they are, you don't say in public. Yes we know and you know and phil jones or shaw know that man utd must have better players on that positions. But don't say it like that, ffs.
Wow, my first dig ever on jose. What a strange feeling.:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44062132

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
In terms of having us competing for the league. Finishing at 4th place, 17 points behind the winner (LVG) or finishing 2nd, 17 points (or 20) behind the winner doesn't make that much difference to me. Mourinho has done the bare minimum of what is expected from him, which is to have us qualify for the CL, two years in a row.
Sure, the end game is basically the same in terms of how far we are behind the leaders - i get that - but the results have improved in the sense that we could possibly end the season on 83 points. That would obviously be our highest points tally since Fergie left and also our highest league finish. We're also in another final with the possibility of winning a third trophy in two season under Jose. We've beaten every member of the top 6 (twice in Arsenal's case), and while that may seem "small time" or any other pejorative one may use, it's a decent achievement considering where we've been these last few seasons. I don't agree with results being marginally better; i think they're a lot better.

Yeah, minimum expectation is to get into the Champions League with the ultimate goal being to win the Premier League, and i'm not saying we should have a bloody parade or anything, but to just acknowledge the progression we've made. Saying all that, the football is bloody joyless for a lot of the time and that desperately needs to change. I'm far from his biggest fan (he's a dick head, lets be honest) but i'm fairly happy with the results. The style of play though? Terrible.

PepsiCola

• WHU (h) 4-0
• Swansea (h) 4-0
• Everton (h) 4-0
• City (a) 2-3
• Chelsea (h) 2-1
• Spurs (h) 1-0
• Liverpool (h) 2-1
• CSKA (h) 4-1
• Palace (h) 4-0
• Arsenal (a) 1-3
• Palace (a) 2-3

A lot of those games weren't great performances. Big results, yes but not really entertaining.

And even those number of games barely equate to a quarter of our entire season? So if I'm supposed to be entertained by that - the answer is no.

If we had been more entertaining to watch but finished 5th would you be pleased?
Why does good football equate to a worse league finish?

RedPnutz

The results are only marginally better, while the football is still unexciting and boring as feck more often than not. I trust my own eyes when I judge players, and some of Mourinho's (and LVG's) most trusted players should have left the club years ago. Their mentality must be fecking superb, because their footballing abilities certainly aren't.
Perhaps. But cognitive biases are well documented so I prefer to look at results rather than just trusting “eyes” only and agenda-laden narratives.

RedPnutz

Some of the bile in this thread is embarrassing.

I agree with you, piss off and support another club is you are so spoilt that United aren't good enough for you.

feck, I lived through the wilderness years and I was only a kid for most of it, imagine only winning the odd FA Cup for over 20 years?
That’s another perspective, too. Being too spoiled.

My point was more about just avoiding the “self-torture”. If something is so painful and depressing (as it appears for some of these guys) why not save the pain and seek the pleasure of another team that conforms to their expectations?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
A lot of those games weren't great performances. Big results, yes but not really entertaining.

And even those number of games barely equate to a quarter of our entire season? So if I'm supposed to be entertained by that - the answer is no.

Why does good football equate to a worse league finish?
What a miserable human.

wolvored

His comments about wanting Young to make 50 appearances for us next season are pretty worrying.
Yes a blind man on a galloping hoss could see thats not the way forward. We are crying out for proper full backs with some youth in them. Is Valencia going to be our other main one as well? Have the club turned off the money tap, with one eye on a new manager in 12 months months when it goes tits up? All bodes poorly for next season.

wolvored

What sort of question is that? What are they expecting as an answer?

"No, I'm not...I hope it takes aaaaages"
I used to have MUTV and after a match the bloke whos on Match Of The Day coomentating now, always used to start with "Sir Alex how important was it to get (3 points)(the win) today?" As if it normally a loss would be sufficient. I would have loved it if Fergie would have said "WTF question is that?" one time lol

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We throwing insults instead of engaging in conversation?

Do the mods here allow that?
Sorry if you took offence, it was only meant to be an objective observation.