Jose: "There are those who want to be here at any cost and those who suffer with a little pain."

Do you agree with Jose criticizing players in public for not being willing/fit to play?

• Total voters

criticalanalysis

Would love to also see Mourinhos Injury records at his clubs. We have had some awful rates of injury, not least the fact that Jones and Smalling have rarely featured fully fit at the same time!

I remember his teams' players rarely being injured, esp. his 1st Chelsea teams.

Rotation is vital in the modern era, but you can only do that plus incorporating the Youth, if people are fit. If he's looking into our injury problems then good. Heard my Arsenal mates say that Arsenal's abysmal rate of injuries is due to their training pitch being layered with terrible foundations and this is being seriously looked at.
I think the most interesting point is to see the injury/match fit rate of the players at the last year of his stay at the club or after he left.

His Chelsea and Inter players put their bodies on the line for 2 years straight and then capitulated in the 3rd. Hard to maintain that same intensity etc. Just ask Guardiola.

schwarzfahren

I think the most interesting point is to see the injury/match fit rate of the players at the last year of his stay at the club or after he left.

His Chelsea and Inter players put their bodies on the line for 2 years straight and then capitulated in the 3rd. Hard to maintain that same intensity etc. Just ask Guardiola.
Surely it's possible to find some sort of balance though, between high intensity and low intensity. Ideally we shouldn't have to be playing balls to the walls football just to beat a team in the bottom third of the table. We should be able to rest players and cruise past those. Some of our more combative players shouldn't be playing every game.

However, there's no excuse for a lack of intensity like we saw in the Chelsea game. I showed more heart watching the game in my bed than I saw on the field, and that's a problem. It seems like players have forgotten who they're playing for. The prideful mentality needs to be brought back, quick.

Reactions: Penna

criticalanalysis

Surely it's possible to find some sort of balance though, between high intensity and low intensity. Ideally we shouldn't have to be playing balls to the walls football just to beat a team in the bottom third of the table. We should be able to rest players and cruise past those. Some of our more combative players shouldn't be playing every game.

However, there's no excuse for a lack of intensity like we saw in the Chelsea game. I showed more heart watching the game in my bed than I saw on the field, and that's a problem. It seems like players have forgotten who they're playing for. The prideful mentality needs to be brought back, quick.
The balance would involve having a team playing style and identity so that players can be rested and the rotation would step up/we would not see a notable difference. I.e A strong and dominant playing style can afford more of a 'lesser' player to replace rather than a like-for-like in a pragmatic system, which asks for equal effort and graft with less clear playing style..if that makes sense.

That's not been Mourinho forte and on top of that, he's already got a big task on his hands managing the squad on his own terms.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
At least Daley Blind is 'fit' enough again to be in the starting line-up in a completely meaningless friendly against Belgium tonight. Not too happy with that of course, since to me it's a clear sign of prioritising the national team over the club you play for. But then again it's a small sin, and he's normally been a model professional while with us, and it's such a weird day anyways so who cares.
It's not even a sin at all. There are two different things and it's not like he is going to say "I don't wanna play" if he feels fine.

It's not easy but it can done as Atletico has managed to remain competitive for more 3 years now with the most energetic and physical tactics.

ghagua

Is this the reason he did not feel 100%?

Yea, could we get a word on this from Mourinho when he questions a players integrity in publc. Apparently he was suffering from this when he aggravated that again in training.

criticalanalysis

It's not easy but it can done as Atletico has managed to remain competitive for more 3 years now with the most energetic and physical tactics.
Yup but Simone has proven he can do on a consistent basis beyond 3 years (not to mention the constant player out goings). Mourinho hasn't shown that in his career and to top it off, he/we need 'success' (results, form, playing style etc) straight away so if he reverts back to form in building a style and team to last 18months-2 years, well we'll have to see how it goes.

I don't want to imply anything else because that would be good for us as opposed to the spiralling decline we've been seeing for the last 3 years.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yup but Simone has proven he can do on a consistent basis beyond 3 years (not to mention the constant player out goings). Mourinho hasn't shown that in his career and to top it off, he/we need 'success' (results, form, playing style etc) straight away so if he reverts back to form in building a style and team to last 18months-2 years, well we'll have to see how it goes.

I don't want to imply anything else because that would be good for us as opposed to the spiralling decline we've been seeing for the last 3 years.
This may be Mourinho's biggest challenge in his career so far.

Mike09

It looks to me from his recent press conference, it seems he realised that it was a mistake for saying
There are those who want to be here at any cost and those who suffer with a little pain