Jose took an almighty risk today

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Being the ultimate pragmastist that he is, it will come as no surprise to most of you to witness Jose casting the league aside in favour of the Europa. "winning 2 games is easier than winning 4" he said. logical, sensible and most definitely a no-brainer, right? Well yes and no. What if, lo and behold, we fail to win it? The board, the fans and the players themselves will be furious. "it was your call Jose, you gave up on the league and you failed to deliver the EL cup and with it a CL spot" they will say. What then? I mean, let's be honest, managers have been sacked for less. I'm not sure if I believe he will be sacked, or even that he would deserve it, but he most certainly must take responsibility if we fail to win.

Liverpool were held to a 0-0 draw at home to Southampton today in what could only be described as a mediocre performance. They were flat, motionless and without ideas, a generally poor football team all round. But Jose, who would have been well aware of their performance and result, still decided to put out a hugely weakended team, essentially handing the 3pts to Arsenal and conceding 4th spot in the process. Against his most bitter of rival Wenger no less. Despite everything, before the game had even kicked off, United were still well in with a shout of reaching top 4, it was still in our own hands lest we forget, but Jose, Mr Pragmatic himself, decided the Europa was the safer option. Brave or stupid? I don't know. But I do know this, I'm glad I don't have to make decisions of this magnitude that carry such huge implications.

I'm not sure how I feel about the decision as to me, a United fan, giving up the league in favour of a Europa cup win is unprecidented and it feels entirely unnatural. Perhaps it's something I need to get used to given the circumstances. Either way, Jose has taken a risk today, if his plan of winning the EL at the expense of finishing top4 - when it was still perfectly feasble to achieve - fails to come to fruition, would a sacking be warranted?

Mister_Stubbs

One in which failure to win the Europe League will be seen as an unnecessary risk.

Bwuk

Whilst I don't agree with what he did I understood it.

I'd fancy us to beat Vigo at home then Ajax at a neutral venue moreso than beat both Arsenal and Spurs away.

Zii

If we don't win the Europa then he probably gets fired? I mean that's the precedent we set under Lvg / Moyes?

Zoo

He has had to prioritise but still put out a strong team today that didn't have the fortune Arsenal did. Taking an almighty risk would be putting out a team of kids.

Enigma_87

You know who

I'd fancy us to beat Vigo at home then Ajax at a neutral venue moreso than beat both Arsenal and Spurs away.
Yeah, this.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If we don't win the Europa then he probably gets fired? I mean that's the precedent we set under Lvg / Moyes?
He will not get sacked no matter what happens. But, I say this as someone who considers Ajax to be my second club it would be a flat out embarrassment if we fail to beat them in the final.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
You do know the teams for matches won't be decided at most an hour before kickoff? Liverpool could have lost 10:0 and it wouldn't have affected our selection. Mourinho would have made his decision days ago.

If a couple of our home games had been wins instead of draws, he'd probably have tried to balance the two but he knew that the chances of winning against Arsenal away, Spurs away, Southampton away and Palace away are negligible and by trying to balance the two could have ended up jeopardising our chances in the Europa. We're already a bit thin with the recent injuries to Young, Shaw, TFM, Rojo and Zlatan along with the suspension to Fellaini in the league.

El Zoido

Target is the CL, and Europa is by FAR the easiest path to that, and it's a trophy to boot. From another angle you could say it's better to instill a trophy-winning mentality and desire, than accept 4th place and be satisfied with that, like Arsenal have been for the past decade. Even if we don't win EL I'm still confident we'll solidly be a top four side next year, but it'd be frustrating to be out of Europe's top competition for another season.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy

Why don't you agree with it? Given our recent fixture run it's likely our strongest 11 only has the legs to prioritise one competition.

BorisManUtd

Even if we won today we'd still have to beat Spurs in their last game at WHL. That Swansea draw felt like the end of our top 4 hopes and definitely was to Jose.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
If we finished 4th it could easily be just as tricky to make the CL group stage. Celta and Ajax are around the average standard of teams we would face in a qualifier. We could get easier or we could get harder. We could even get the likes of Hoffenheim who will be unseeded.

Oscie

The gamble ultimately was made earlier on in the season by pressing hard in the Europa League that would have lead inevitably to a decline in our form domestically. Even he's said himself our recent issues are caused by too many games, at least partially. The fact we're in the Europa League semi-final 2nd leg is of course wonderful given our situation domestically but the argument from those sceptical about the competition was always that continued involvement would likely hamper us domestically.

You'd never swap the situation now as we could win the Europa League but had we exited at a much early stage, nothing guaranteed, but I think there's a fair chance we'd be a place or two higher in the league than we currently are.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We need a draw at home and a win at a neutral ground (which will be dominated by United fans) in order to win the Europa League; with one game involving a mid-table la-liga side and the other involving a side 2nd in their league. Feyenoord, the team first in that league, were slapped 4-0 by us and scraped a win at their place.

In order to qualify for the top 4 we need to probably win all of out remaining games with one game involving Arsenal at the Emirates and more importantly Tottenham at White Hart Lane.
Winning at White Hart Lane is a next to impossible task and so the right decision was to always prioritise the Europa League.

Bwuk

Why don't you agree with it? Given our recent fixture run it's likely our strongest 11 only has the legs to prioritise one competition.
Because we basically threw the game away. I don't think Arsenal are all that, with a more positive team we could of won.

Obiorahking_

Which is easier?
Beating Celta Vigo at home with an away goal advantage in hand then advancing to beat Ajax? Or beating Arsenal and Spurs away then beating Crystal Palace at home?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Europa league is realistically the only chance we have at CL football. With the run in we had, it would have been almighty difficult to overhaul city and Liverpool. We did what we have to do today, it won't be acceptable next season when he has the squad he wants, but for now it's needs must.

Bwuk

Europa league is realistically the only chance we have at CL football. With the run in we had, it would have been almighty difficult to overhaul city and Liverpool. We did what we have to do today, it won't be acceptable next season when he has the squad he wants, but for now it's needs must.
It really wasn't. Before kick off it was in our own hands.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Our second team today was still better than most teams in the PL. Poxy first goal decided the contest.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It's really not as simple as that.

Son Of Sam

A draw & a win is all we need to get into CL group stage next season.

What Jose did was the right thing to do. If we are not winning the league, finishing 2nd or 12th is an academic point as long as we qualify for the CL.

Pochettino's season or Jose's season(if he wins the Europa) - who's had a more successful season?

Son Of Sam

Which is easier?
Beating Celta Vigo at home with an away goal advantage in hand then advancing to beat Ajax? Or beating Arsenal and Spurs away then beating Crystal Palace at home?
You forgot beating Southampton on their soil. I wouldn't want to face Gabiaddini if all our CL hopes rest on finishing in the top 4.

SirAF

Ageist

What Jose did was the right thing to do. If we are not winning the league, finishing 2nd or 12th is an academic point as long as we qualify for the CL.

Pochettino's season or Jose's season(if he wins the Europa) - who's had a more successful season?
This.

welshwingwizard

Our second team today was still better than most teams in the PL. Poxy first goal decided the contest.
This is true. No issues with team we played today as I thought we still had good chance beating Arsenal. Certainly didn't throw the game.

My issue was with our tactics. With that team there were lots of attacking players. We weren't set up to defend whole match but if we had gone at them I reckon we'd have done damage.

Mata smalling and Jones back and not match fitness whist rooney in midfield and being awful didn't help either.

ManUArfa

So going full strength with a tired team that played on Thursday in Spain, probably still losing and damaging our chances in europa would not be a risk?
We need a draw at home and a win at a neutral ground (which will be dominated by United fans) in order to win the Europa League; with one game involving a mid-table la-liga side and the other involving a side 2nd in their league. Feyenoord, the team first in that league, were slapped 4-0 by us and scraped a win at their place.

In order to qualify for the top 4 we need to probably win all of out remaining games with one game involving Arsenal at the Emirates and more importantly Tottenham at White Hart Lane.
Winning at White Hart Lane is a next to impossible task and so the right decision was to always prioritise the Europa League.
I am glad we have taken the Europa league seriously.

We have learnt how to play again in Europe.

Our general European record has been abysmal over the last few years. Even against the smaller clubs ( knocked out of the UCL group stages twice in the last few years.

It will be an invaluable experience especially for the younger players.

These

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So it was a necessary risk that simply had to be took, that seems to be the general consensus on the subject. That's fair enough and given circumstances I guess I feel the same way. I'm not overly convinced that the board will be "okay" with the decision, though. Not saying he will be sacked, but since there was still a reasonable chance of finishing 4th before he made that choice, surely they will not be happy.

djdhrubs

Despite the negativity today, this season could be one of our best in years if we win the Europa. I think two cup wins might even, in my eyes, supersede Fergie's last season because of the relative rarity of winning a European competition. I'm pretty excited.

welshwingwizard

Yes definitely. A win in Europe would see us having the most successful season since fergie and only bettered this year by Chelsea.

A united supporting friend of mine keeps on going on about spurs being a proper team but what have they won in the last 25 years? Second is nothing if you cant win some silverware.

SirAF

Ageist
Despite the negativity today, this season could be one of our best in years if we win the Europa. I think two cup wins might even, in my eyes, supersede Fergie's last season because of the relative rarity of winning a European competition. I'm pretty excited.
Nah, the PL is always more important but winning the EFL and EL will make it a pretty good season all in all.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I would concur.

AndyJ1985

If we had fielded a strong team and then looked tired against Celta and got knocked out, Jose would have been murdered on here. He's done the right thing putting all our eggs in the EL basket.