Jose "We did to them what they don't like"

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He didn't expand on this point in his interview but I think it was plainly obvious what he meant. If you sit in deep against us we look very average. Martial, Rashford and James all look at their best with space in behind to run into. James obviously the poorer of the three by far. His place in the team looks under serious threat.

Do we need a different plan for playing negative teams? Igahlo perhaps over Martial to hold the ball better. Martial had 9 touches in the first half. The least on the pitch.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Very obvious. The whole world knows our inability to create vs deep defences. If this doesn't light a fire under Ole to advance tactically with the ball, nothing will.

We will see.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Jose's a dick and always wise after the event but I do think Ole got his tactics/team wrong tonight. Even if he didn't think "it's Jose, he'll sit", once we'd let a goal in, we should have changed earlier, HT definitely.

Wasn't happening for Rashford or Martial tonight, hopefully a one off but Ole shouldn't be scared of dropping anyone if form/opposition needs it.

SirAnderson

Yeah it's clear to every Tom, Jose and Harry, that sitting deep and parking the bus is not only his only game plan but also our Achilles.
Hopefully with Pogba and Bruno linking up, that can be a thing of the past...after today of course.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Does any team like to be sat deep on? Teams who park and hoof it are always tough to break down, even with the best players.

Klopp bemoans defensive teams all the time, even when it's teams in the bottom half of the league.

But I agree, Ighalo for holding the ball, and Greenwood over James. The latter should be used for the counter attack, though perhaps we were expecting to need to do more of that. Even with Jose being Jose, I didn't expect them to be scrapping like a team in the relegation zone so much.

SirAnderson

Jose's a dick and always wise after the event but I do think Ole got his tactics/team wrong tonight. Even if he didn't think "it's Jose, he'll sit", once we'd let a goal in, we should have changed earlier, HT definitely.

Wasn't happening for Rashford or Martial tonight, hopefully a one off but Ole shouldn't be scared of dropping anyone if form/opposition needs it.
Agreed.

Luke1995

He coached most of our players. Obviously knew how to win against them.

Sometimes I still wish he hadn't been fired as i'm not sure Ole is good enough tactically, but whatever.

Ekeke

He didn't expand on this point in his interview but I think it was plainly obvious what he meant. If you sit in deep against us we look very average. Martial, Rashford and James all look at their best with space in behind to run into. James obviously the poorer of the three by far. His place in the team looks under serious threat.

Do we need a different plan for playing negative teams? Igahlo perhaps over Martial to hold the ball better. Martial had 9 touches in the first half. The least on the pitch.
You say "negative" but they had the best chances of the first half and were 1-0 up. They werent negative, they played counter attacking football like we normally do

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Does any team like to be sat deep on? Teams who park and hoof it are always tough to break down, even with the best players.

Klopp bemoans defensive teams all the time, even when it's teams in the bottom half of the league.

But I agree, Ighalo for holding the ball, and Greenwood over James. The latter should be used for the counter attack, though perhaps we were expecting to need to do more of that. Even with Jose being Jose, I didn't expect them to be scrapping like a team in the relegation zone so much.
I think you are taking his ‘like’ too literally. I think he means more ‘what they struggle with the most’, in the sense of the sort of players we have and how we like to play. Stoke City don’t have an issue with playing teams who sit deep, their style of cross and hope is suited to it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
“I parked the bus” has less of a ring to it.

rotherham_red

This is either Jose's mind games, or the miserable cnut has well and truly lost the plot. I'll be kind and say that I think it's the former.

We created more than enough to win that game comfortably. At least three clear chances which should have gone in, as well as numerous half chances which were a whisker away from the target.

Their goal came against the run of play, and while they carried a threat on the counter until c.60 minutes, they weren't exactly choking the life out of the game like a prime Jose side usually does.

If that's what we can do against a Jose low block, with a rusty front three and no Pogba for two thirds of the match, I've got no worries with the rest of the league campaign.

RORY65

Sometimes I still wish he hadn't been fired as i'm not sure Ole is good enough tactically, but whatever.
He's one of the worst things to happen to the club in decades, I'm so glad he's no longer here.

This issue is really going to define whether Solskjaer is going to be any good here long-term though. Liverpool had a similar problem in the first year and a half or so under Klopp where they were very good against the better sides but sometimes struggled to beat the lesser sides, I know Tottenham aren't necessarily a lesser side but Mourinho's tactics are fairly unique among managers at elite teams.

Liverpool resolved that through really smart recruitment, by coaching and through tweaking their tactics (having probably the best manager in the world helps), I have serious reservations whether we will see the same happen at United but Ole needs a chance to try to find a solution.

Ainu

Ole's ability as a tactician has no bearing on the fact Mourinho had to go. Mourinho's time here was all sorts of awful, at least after that first season. We could've replaced him by a better manager, that's all.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Nah. Just start Pogba for Fred and Greenwood for James. James definitely isn't made for these where the opposition is deep, but Pogba just being in is such a big difference. Plus the lack of sharpness meant we were a bit off, but I can't fault the tactics or play style. Spurs are a decent side at the end of the day.

RedTiger

Half mast

I'd play this team against parked buses.

Gk
Dalot----DC----DC----shaw
Matic
Bruno-----Pogba
Mata----------------------LW
Ighalo​

Red00012

It was happening for Rashford 1st half and he should have put us ahead before we conceded.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It is something anyone with enough footballing knowledge that watch United under Ole knows. It is a bit sad, as under a more progressive manager, this type of tactics Jose deployed, would have seen us created more chances and produced better football. Yet, we looked lost and took a penalty for us to break through. The highlight of our attacking play was when Pogba played Bruno through the center and then he did a cruyff turn and fed martial, only to have Dier block it. Under a more progressive manager we would see more of that.

Red00012

I'd play this team against parked buses.

Gk
Dalot----DC----DC----shaw
Matic
Bruno-----Pogba
Mata----------------------LW
Ighalo​
So you’ve replied to a post where you’ve picked 7 players in what we should do . Right.

RazorOz

Not like Mourinho wouldn't do this regardless. Besides were we meant to be impressed by Tottenham tonight? I thought they were terrible really. The only chance they created all game required a comedy of errors.

Red00012

If you watched tonight’s game and thought after I wish he hadn’t been fired then Utd isn’t for you.

Sanchez7

Easy to say now but a slightly sharper Anthony/Rashy and we would have easily scored two goals. I recall two great chances for both players and a decent one for Greenward too in the end.

Djemba-Djemba

Well considering his record against us this season is lost one drew one I'd say it's obvious he doesn't know how to win against them.

Sanchez7

Past it manager who plays awful football. Best decision the club has made since giving Moyesy the sack.

ShinjiNinja26

Yeah it’s true we’ve struggled all season with teams that sit back but that’s been down to a lack of creativity from midfield. I think with Bruno and Pogba now available to us that’ll change, I mean the difference was clear when we had them both on the pitch we were creating chances much more frequently. It’s just the finishing that let us down but that’ll improve when we get back up to speed.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Thats the problem most of us have with Mourinhos football. That even when he wins it feels like a loss. I remember soo many 1-0 wins with Mou in charge and everybody was fuming on here because we parked the bus from minute 1. So boring to watch Id rather take a sleeping pill.

Castia

Strange one from Jose, you could argue they dropped points due to his tactical changes. Brought off both Bergwijn and Lamela when they was 1-0 up, 2 of their better players today for 2 midfielders which just let us come forward with no worries of a counter.

Completely dominated the second half, if Pogba would have come on at half time rather than 60 minutes we would have taken all 3 points.

Dante

Average bang

Our game plan is to build through our two DMs and then try to release our two wingers with support from the fullbacks.

So Tottenham ignored their #10 position and ceded possession to our two least creative players from the front 6 (Fred and McTominay); they kept their LB/RB deep to go man-to-man on Rashford and James; and they defended on the edge of their box to prevent us utilising our pace on the break.

Without a CF capable of dragging their backline out of shape, we couldn't do anything to break the block.

Last edited:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

How the feck can anybody watch the shit he served up here and the shit he has served up at Spurs and wish he’d never been fired?

At this time in their careers OGS is a far better manager and it’s not even fecking close.

You literally have rocks in your head

hobbers

How the feck can anybody watch the shit he served up here and the shit he has served up at Spurs and wish he’d never been fired?

At this time in their careers OGS is a far better manager and it’s not even fecking close.

You literally have rocks in your head
Far better based on................?

Their styles are hardly miles apart either. Both rely on sitting deep against the top sides, and in even games generally winning from counter attacks rather than anything expansive.

Ole gets on better with the majority of the players than Jose, and he courts a lot less controversy. Tactically he's added basically nothing that we didn't already see under Jose, other than those first few games as caretaker where the shackles were unleashed when the only instruction was 'go and have fun'.

CM

Classic Mourinho comments really. We weren't at our best but I think this is just him taking the opportunity to stir the pot a bit rather than us having a deep rooted problem.

We saw when Pogba came on what him and Bruno are capable of doing in tandem and that's something to be excited by. We played them off the park in the second half and if not for that awful passage of play in the first half we would rightfully be seen as the dominant team. I'm actually a bit more worried by our defence on tonight's showing.

Djemba-Djemba

It's one thing to think Ole isn't good enough, that's a valid opinion.

But anyone wishing Jose was still our manager is absolutely mental.

buckooo1978

We lacked sharpness tonight and with a little better finishing and De Gea/Maguire not being so poor we win that game

Jose should be criticised for Spurs performance - Their attackers did nothing in the game and they had to win to stand a chance of top 4.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Conceding possession to us won't be a very good idea once Pogba and Fernandes start games more often imo.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
My patience with Jose has grown quite weary. He wouldn't switch up this game plan even if United just enjoyed his team sitting back. His philosophy of how the game is played now rests on how the opposition views him and by his own perception he is the inferior, the underdog. The cocky underdog. He is the weirdest bloke in football.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Far better based on................?

Their styles are hardly miles apart either. Both rely on sitting deep against the top sides, and in even games generally winning from counter attacks rather than anything expansive.

Ole gets on better with the majority of the players than Jose, and he courts a lot less controversy. Tactically he's added basically nothing that we didn't already see under Jose, other than those first few games as caretaker where the shackles were unleashed when the only instruction was 'go and have fun'.
His ability to extract more performance out of lesser players, his ability to execute counter attacking football, his ability to source better players and have them improve at United rather than regress, the ability to manage player morale, the ability to develop a squad for long term success etc...

Need I fecking go on?

Those are all issues that Mourinho has completely failed to do in any job since the start of 2018.

Sorry but he's a washed up has been and Mourinho has done nothing to deserve any praise for his management skills in a long time.

He's effectively a glorified Tony Pullis or Neil Warnock with better players.