Jose "We did to them what they don't like"

tomaldinho1

Jose didn't take the point as much as Ole gave the two points away. He waited far too long to bring on Pogba and really should have started him. You can forgive Ole for starting James, but not waiting as long as he did to bring him off for Greenwood, who's already miles and miles superior to James and works very well in tight spaces against parked buses.

Jose should send Ole a bottle of wine as thanks.
This is what I think - given Mou's squad and the Alli ban I think most people could have predicted close to their starting line up and how they would play. Sit deep, try to get Son/Berwijn into space/feeding of flick ons from long balls & wait for us to make mistakes.

Our problem was Ole went defensive - McT, Fred, Bruno is great against a team like City who come at you and you need that high press, combative centre to the team but against the snore fest Mourinho likes to play it's rendered almost redundant. You have to take the risk and play Pogba/Bruno or, if Pogba could only play one half, have Mata in there and trust someone like Matic to shield the back four. Spurs under Mourinho simply aren't a good team but it took them to score for us to actually try to take some risks and then they're fired up defending a one goal lead.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well done José! You parked the bus at home in a game that was must win for you. We’ll live to fight another day for top 4, you won’t. Good job! ;)

cyberman

I hate the way he comes out with this same nonsense aa if its a rare tactical plan he used to expose the opposition when its just the exact style he uses anyway.

cyberman

This is what I think - given Mou's squad and the Alli ban I think most people could have predicted close to their starting line up and how they would play. Sit deep, try to get Son/Berwijn into space/feeding of flick ons from long balls & wait for us to make mistakes.

Our problem was Ole went defensive - McT, Fred, Bruno is great against a team like City who come at you and you need that high press, combative centre to the team but against the snore fest Mourinho likes to play it's rendered almost redundant. You have to take the risk and play Pogba/Bruno or, if Pogba could only play one half, have Mata in there and trust someone like Matic to shield the back four. Spurs under Mourinho simply aren't a good team but it took them to score for us to actually try to take some risks and then they're fired up defending a one goal lead.
Scott, Fees and Bruno is not a defensive midfield?

tomaldinho1

Scott, Fees and Bruno is not a defensive midfield?
Put it this way - Ole's system is a midfield three and so you have Matic, McT, Bruno, Pogba, Mata, Lingard, Fred who can play in various positions. By picking McT, Fred, Bruno we had a really combative centre, great energy to get up and down the pitch but only really one creative outlet in Bruno. If we were playing City or a team that demanded that kind of high press midfield this would be great (I think we started that game Matic, Fred, Bruno and then McT came on) but Spurs under Mou don't do that.

I just think we went quite low risk when we simply can't afford to. I get Ole likes the double pivot and I understand we were away from home but this Spurs team are very beatable and I just hope these kind of results don't catch up with us because we're doing really poorly points wise, for context Crystal Palace are 4 points behind us, and it already seems like our best bet is hoping City's ban goes through and we qualify for the CL in 5th.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
That's how you break down what we "don't like".

Underplayed but that Pogba ball into Fernandes from deeper is so important to how we are looking to play. It wasn't straight forward and other players would play a much simpler ball. He bypassed their midfield with that pass

After that it's all about the flick and the 1-2. Quick and intricate and opens up the defence.

Fully Fledged

He didn't expand on this point in his interview but I think it was plainly obvious what he meant. If you sit in deep against us we look very average. Martial, Rashford and James all look at their best with space in behind to run into. James obviously the poorer of the three by far. His place in the team looks under serious threat.

Do we need a different plan for playing negative teams? Igahlo perhaps over Martial to hold the ball better. Martial had 9 touches in the first half. The least on the pitch.
I can see why he was so pleased with a home draw against us.

Denis' cuff

Jose has totally fallen out of love with the game. Snags a new job, doesn’t give a shite. Contract will pay out. Living at Salford Quays spoke volumes. No wonder his right hand man left him.

Mercenary extraordinaire.

crossy1686

career ending
His lack of trust in his fellow human is staggering. I don't know who hurt Jose but he's never recovered from a backstabbing somewhere, the fact he doesn't even trust his team to attack is mental.

Rolaholic

So where are Spurs 13 penalties
0 shots on target against mighty 18th placed Bournemouth yesterday with one of the best strikers of his generation being reverted to playing as a holding mid/centre half hybrid for much of the match but he's more worried about Man United penalties :lol:

CG1010

0 shots on target against mighty 18th placed Bournemouth yesterday with one of the best strikers of his generation being reverted to playing as a holding mid/centre half hybrid but he's more worried about Man United penalties :lol:
Is it true that he played Kane as midfielder?? Surely not!:eek:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Christ, Jose, don't make it worse for yourself, man... Every solid attacking team gets fouled a lot and that's also tactical part of a winning game. We get penalties, because we create chances and circumstances that allow the players to provoke oppo's defense.

Rolaholic

Is it true that he played Kane as midfielder?? Surely not!:eek:
He was their striker but for whatever reason he didn't register a touch in the opposition box until the 2nd half and spent most of the match around the middle of the park or in his own half.

Luke Shaw has more touches in the opposition box than Kane this month so he's definitely being instructed to play ridiculously deep for whatever reason

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
So where are Spurs 13 penalties
Honestly, they could get some if Jose knew how to properly use Son, Lo Celso, Lucas and their agility on the ball.

All Spurs does is Aurier trying to cross the ball to someone in the box. It's pathetic, really.

anant

Can we just have him do the Football Heritage speech, but this time he starts from 1961 instead of 2012

El Zoido

Only 2 have been questionable haven't they?
Yeah, James has one early in the season, and also the one last night. On the flip side we’ve had solid penalty shouts still not given, despite VAR. We had two not given yesterday (one on Rashford in the first half and one on Pogba towards the end of the second half). Both good shouts and probably would not have been overturned by VAR.

anant

The bitter cnut :lol:
Someone needs to tell him that his side can get those many pens as well if they ever threaten inside the opposition box.

Edit: Also, Spurs are fouled against more often than Utd. Its just that we play our game in final third and hence get pens while they get freekicks in the middle of the park

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah you get penalties from actually attacking.

Anyone see Kane's heat map on MOTD yesterday? Spent more time in his box then the oppostions.

Jose is a disgrace and is always looking to blame someone or something.

Yes, they should have been given a pen, but to then go on to have 0 shots on target against a struggling Bournemouth side is poor.

arthurka

Well runners into the box who have a bit of skill will get fouled and we have a lot of quick runners.. Spending the whole game in your own box won't give you any penalties Jose..

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
the hilarious thing is he spent the whole of the previous match moaning about Micheal Oliver as a referee.

Who's then the VAR official against Bournemouth? Micheal Oliver.

Oh btw guess who's the referee for the up coming north london derby with Arsenal :smirk:

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Didn't see how toxic it was when he was here, but now its so clear. So glad we got rid. I don't blame him 100% for the state of the club when he was here, but the state of the dressing room and the storms with the media, as well as the profile of player he wanted.

The club's image today is in line with the image i used to love under Sir Alex. Thats how United should always be.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He got lucky we played his side so early after the restart — he hadn’t had the time to fully sap everything out of them.

tjb

He really is a bitter old manager.It has to be more than just the game moving on. His Chelsea side of 14-15 were still good. Something seems broken in him. His teams aren't even good at defending anymore. He sets them up to get railroaded these days. In 2015, it was difficult to even get past Chelsea's half way line because of how structured and aggressive they are and even Conte managed to get that Chelsea side to do it again in 2017, so clearly its a post 2015 Jose problem.

JustinC00

The bitter cnut :lol:

He's bringing up our penalties, yet his team just had 0 goals against a team we put 5 past the game before.

Hey Jose, there is a better chance to win penalties when you actually work the ball into the box, not just hoof it in there. So us having that many penalties (which we have only scored 9 of 13) shouldn't be looked at as bad outside of the couple that shouldn't have been called, means we are forcing other teams to make mistakes in the area.

Last edited:

Champagne Football

I'm delighted he took the Spurs job, as if he hadnt taken it, you'd still have a small percent of Jose fanboys always saying how it was the players who threw him under a bus that sabotaged his time at Utd and not the other way around.