Jose "We did to them what they don't like"

Tarrou

Jose always plays this way so no surprises there

We're better against team that sit deep than we were 4/5 months ago though, especially when Pogba and Fernandes are on the pitch

Denis79

Yeah it's clear to every Tom, Jose and Harry, that sitting deep and parking the bus is not only his only game plan but also our Achilles.
Hopefully with Pogba and Bruno linking up, that can be a thing of the past...after today of course.
Also think Ighalo is the better choice up front against deep lying teams.

SirAnderson

Also think Ighalo is the better choice up front against deep lying teams.
I guess Ole had to back his first choice no9 tonight. But yeah, with the games coming thick and fast, and also against lower teams that will be sitting back, Ighalo will definitely be having his fair share of minutes to shine for us.

kirk buttercup

Wow . Knowing what we dont like and our weaknesses he managed a point at home , incredible well done Jose. Spurs fans are in for a treat next season as you fall apart again

Manny

Grammar Police
Typical Jose comments really. Pretending he still has something interesting to show the world.

I'm sure some will still lap it up.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Wow . Knowing what we dont like and our weaknesses he managed a point at home , incredible well done Jose. Spurs fans are in for a treat next season as you fall apart again
According to this forum prior to the match you were going to beat us easily anything between 3 and 6 nil.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah sign Sancho, start Pogba and Matic and suddenly there’s not a feck you can do. We’ll get there.

Dante

Average bang
According to this forum prior to the match you were going to beat us easily anything between 3 and 6 nil.
It was just jokey bullishness.

These were the pre-match predictions:

• 25% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Tottenham 0:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Tottenham 1:3 Man Utd
  • 11% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd
  • 5% Tottenham 0:1 Man Utd
  • 4% Tottenham 0:3 Man Utd

Any one of the first five scores could have easily happened on the balance of play today.

RyRoc

To be honest if I was a Spurs fan not the sort of post match comments I'd want to hear being 1-0 with ten minutes left in a game they really needed to win. Seems chuffed with himself , as if he's proved a point, just a very strange guy with a weird obsession of being the underdog.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His comment would ring more true if we hadn’t taken four points off him this season.
Jose is a manager that I really like, but seeing him act bullish about getting a point whilst managing Tottenham? God that’s sad.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's a home game for them, against a Top 4 rival. There's nothing for them to be proud of with a draw.

Walters_19_MuFc

Its been no secret that we find it hard to break teams down as per the image below.

Having said that, since the arrival of Bruno, we've certainly found it easier to break teams down. Add Pogba to that and we are even better. Honestly, I think on another day, we could have easily come away with a win against Spurs, and it would have been just a typical modern day Mourinho display. Score a goal, sit back and concede.

Going forward, with the creativity of Bruno, Rashford, Martial, Pogba and hopefully Mata/Greenwood coming in on the right, you'd think we'd have more than enough to break teams down.

el3mel

His ability to extract more performance out of lesser players,
We were absolutely terrible when we had injuries and had to play with whatever we had at disposal and only improved when we got Bruno and some good players back so this point is BS.

Though yeah Ole's transfers record is the best out of all managers we had past Fergie.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is the first game after 3 months without football. Not only you can tell that our trio are still not sharp enough in their fitness today, if you actually remember what happened in the game, we had slow start with lot of mispasses (Spurs did too). Just like City vs Arsenal, it took us a while to finally get into the game and not making too many mispasses.

We could have won the game because our chances were very closed to be goals. From Rashford's chance, Bruno's long shot to Martial's chances & Greenwood, if they score the winners, people won't even make this thread.

We haven't been good in breaking the lowblock but you can tell that recently, the manager has shown improvement in this aspect especially now we have Bruno, we created good chances today but not clinical enough to execute them.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm not defending Ole because He could have done better with the subs. But if James didn't overhit that cross to Rashford in the first half, not long after Rashford had his first shot on target, We would have scored and the game would have turned completely. Jose can say what He likes but obviously it wasn't a masterclass performance from Tottenham. Just an average park the bus strategy without much discipline. They just put bodies and refused to press because They knew We struggled to do anything with possession. That didn't take a lot skill or planning to execute. Soon, Tottenham will forget how to play football and their fans will praise draws as tactical masterclasses because of a bias of having Jose as the manager. When actually.... you shouldn't be celebrating a draw at home, it's not a win.

Last edited:

Green_Red

Jose's a dick and always wise after the event but I do think Ole got his tactics/team wrong tonight. Even if he didn't think "it's Jose, he'll sit", once we'd let a goal in, we should have changed earlier, HT definitely.

Wasn't happening for Rashford or Martial tonight, hopefully a one off but Ole shouldn't be scared of dropping anyone if form/opposition needs it.
I agree with that. Felt Spurs where there for the taking and then seen McTominay and Fred starting. Made no sense. Some of best football leading up to the break had Matic involved. Tactics could just have been over cautious given how long the players have been out and we havent exactly had a preseason considering football has been off for about 3 months.

Beanz

This is what jose does. Lowers your expectations until you start feeling greatful for drawing to westham after a dreary performance because "it could've been worse". Its a slippery slope with our mou hopefully yours doesn't get worse than what we had.

edcunited1878

Its been no secret that we find it hard to break teams down as per the image below.

Having said that, since the arrival of Bruno, we've certainly found it easier to break teams down. Add Pogba to that and we are even better. Honestly, I think on another day, we could have easily come away with a win against Spurs, and it would have been just a typical modern day Mourinho display. Score a goal, sit back and concede.

Going forward, with the creativity of Bruno, Rashford, Martial, Pogba and hopefully Mata/Greenwood coming in on the right, you'd think we'd have more than enough to break teams down.
That's an interesting stat, but Chelsea are only a few points better and a lot of these issues happened in the first half of the season. It's getting better, but as many people have said, breaking teams down who are properly setup like Spurs were today isn't easy and you have to take your chances. You have to make those half changes count, but United didn't today.

Greck

I agree with that. Felt Spurs where there for the taking and then seen McTominay and Fred starting. Made no sense. Some of best football leading up to the break had Matic involved. Tactics could just have been over cautious given how long the players have been out and we havent exactly had a preseason considering football has been off for about 3 months.
Impact of the draw didn't sink in till I realised Alli and Moura were out hours after the match. This is one we really could have done with. Feel confident City's ban will be upheld so solidifying 5th ahead of Sheffield before playing them would have taken a lot of pressure off us heading into our game with them on wednesday. Missed opportunity on two fronts because they can now play defensively when we meet.

edit: Realised they play Newcastle tomorrow and all of this would be moot if they drop points there

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
“I parked the bus” has less of a ring to it.
Bingo.

Mourinho doing what every other manager does and making it seem to be a big deal.

Regardless we were the better team and should have won that game. And obviously everybody knows we have trouble with teams that sit deep. Mourinho himself didn't know how to solve that riddle when he was here.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
You say "negative" but they had the best chances of the first half and were 1-0 up. They werent negative, they played counter attacking football like we normally do
Wrong. Rashford at the 21st min was the biggest chance of the game.

Thiagoal

He coached most of our players. Obviously knew how to win against them.

Sometimes I still wish he hadn't been fired as i'm not sure Ole is good enough tactically, but whatever.
OMG have you forgotten how tedious it was under Mou and how much we’ve improved under Ole (recently)

M16Red

All but Mata played in that game, we've had this problem for so long its actually infuriating. I do think Pogba will unlock this problem.

There is also an interesting thing here with the no fans, I think teams will find it easier to play this type of football without the fans on both side given it pressure.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You say "negative" but they had the best chances of the first half and were 1-0 up. They werent negative, they played counter attacking football like we normally do
Their only chances of the match were the goal and the Son header. We had loads of chances, the 2 Rashford ones in the first half, Martial in the 2nd and Greenwood at the end, in addition to the goal.
Even when we play on the counter, like against City at Etihad or against Pool both times this season, we create far more chances.

We were clearly the better team and it was clear that players like McTominay, Rashford and Martial aren't totally sharp yet. With Pogba and Bruno starting together along with players gaining match sharpness, I expect us to be totally fine even against teams that sit back.

By the way I wonder how Spurs fans are feeling seeing their near full strength team play the match against Utd like it was 2008? Sitting deep at home, trying to nick a goal and defend it with their lives. It's not even playing on the counter. And indeed we play on the counter too at times but it's against teams like City and Pool who are clearly superior to us at the moment. Utd aren't that better than Spurs in terms of player quality and here we have Jose having them play like he was playing against Barca. I'm so glad Jose is no longer our manager.

dal

The personnel we choose depends on which bus is parked. I think the tactics were fine today, we didn’t look under threat really until the game opened up.

Bruno loves to move it fast. Bruno’s example of this is his excellent pass to martial involving a quick turn and pass where martial should have scored.

In: Grealish, Sancho, Centre Back
Out : Smalling, Rojo, Perreira, James, Jones.

James out grealish in, I just don’t rate James and what a squad upgrade.

————————Martial———————-
Rashford———Bruno————Sancho
————-Pogba———-Fred—————-
Shaw——Maguire——New CB-AWB
—————————DDG———————-

Squad : Grealish Ighalo Greenwood Mctominay Matic Lindelof Bailly Williams Gomes Mejbri Mata Dalot

Within 2 years
Out - Matic Martial Mata Ighalo
In - WC STRIKER WC HOLDING MID

Rebuild complete and squad trimmed with the right blend of desire, youth and quality.

Keep the current veto system and keep Ole and keep our values and make sure we never deviate from the above three principles again. No Prima donnas only purchases with the correct Man Utd attitude.

Zen86

Parking the bus and riding their luck hardly constitutes a tactical masterclass. If the catalogue of errors that was their goal didn’t happen, we would have won.

cyberman

Nonsense. We should have scored 3 while they barely troubled us.

Withnail

He coached most of our players. Obviously knew how to win against them.

Sometimes I still wish he hadn't been fired as i'm not sure Ole is good enough tactically, but whatever.
He didn't know how to win though. They got away with a draw.

After watching that horrible Spurs performance you want to go back to that?

HJ12

If you watched tonight’s game and thought after I wish he hadn’t been fired then Utd isn’t for you.
100%. I was watching Spurs and thinking that I can't believe I had to watch this for 3 years.
Parking the bus and riding their luck hardly constitutes a tactical masterclass. If the catalogue of errors that was their goal didn’t happen, we would have won.
Spurs were really poor to watch last night. Fine, they got a draw, but as you pointed out we played a part in giving them that assist. Making his team out to be this club of paupers that are so poorly resourced is also extremely bizarre (complaining about the 5 subs etc.). It's Spurs, not Norwich?!

Member 90887

Our game plan is to build through our two DMs and then try to release our two wingers with support from the fullbacks.

So Tottenham ignored their #10 position and ceded possession to our two least creative players from the front 6 (Fred and McTominay); they kept their LB/RB deep to go man-to-man on Rashford and James; and they defended on the edge of their box to prevent us utilising our pace on the break.

Without a CF capable of dragging their backline out of shape, we couldn't do anything to break the block.
Agree with this. You just have to see the few chances we created after Ighalo replaced Martial. It created a lot of spaces for Mason on the right. He should get the nod over Martial in the next game (and Mason over James).

Drainy

oh you forgot kicking the opposition, I think that is a key part of his strategy

Withnail

Conceding possession to us won't be a very good idea once Pogba and Fernandes start games more often imo.
Can you imagine being a Spurs fan watching that game?

The anxiety of watching your team hoof the ball and just waiting for United to score. So glad he's out of here.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Think there's a lot of overreacting in this thread about Jose's comments and Ole's ability as a manager.

Tactically, Ole has got it mostly spot on over the past 6 months. The team selection was fine as he went with the XI which were winning games before the lockdown. Also Pogba hasn't played a match for 9 months so couldn't start.

Like all Jose's teams in big games, they scored through individual brilliance (and United mistakes), this allowed them to sit so deep and make themselves difficult to play against.

We created good chances throughout the 90 minutes, didn't look outclassed anywhere on the pitch and played positively.

RyRy11

He’s such a bs merchant. I’m sure 3 collective defensive errors was all part of his plan and not a giant slice of Luck...

lysglimt

Scout
So he is proud of himself for playing 1-1 at home to the team whose manager he (apparently) claimed to be out of his depth ?

lysglimt

Scout
If I was Jose, I would be more concerned about 3 Draws and 4 defeats in the last 7