Joshua King and Matty James @ Preston (Loan Watch)

Ekeke

As opposed to this on Welbeck's 3rd ever appearance?

YouTube - danny welbeck stoke

I remember King's debut, he had a good cameo, but thats all it was. Coincidently, Welbeck scored in that game too.

Welbeck, IIRC would have played much more, if not for his injuries, much of which were down to him having a growth spurt...
Yes Welbeck scored a great goal in his 3rd appearance. Then did very little. Last season he scored a couple in the cup, in the rest of his matches again he made little impression. Scored a nice chip for Preston and then got injured. He has the talent but he does go missing and on the whole hasnt done a lot yet. Although he did have a good pre-season and I'm not counting him out yet, this season is a very important one for him.

He needs to prove himself above cup level. If he continues to be a bit quiet like he was for Sunderland today then things wont be looking too good for him at United. It shouldnt be the case but... A lot of our young talents have proven themselves at a greater level than he has so far. And if he doesnt have a good season on loan at Sunderland, King may be one of the next ones to prove himself at a higher level.

surf

Btw, King was on Noggie TV the other day talking about how United's doctors expect him to grow another 10 cms over the next couple of years and how he sees himself as 'more skillful Carew' in the future.
It's hard to believe that an 18 year old will grow another 4 inches. Maybe the doctors told him that a while ago.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I did not just post youtube videos to assess a player's technical ability.
Yet you can judge a players' entire game after about 10 mins of a normal game...logical.

Scholesy

Yet you can judge a players' entire game after about 10 mins of a normal game...logical.
10 minutes is a very short time.

But how do we really know if King is not the new Carew based on the speed, power and work rate showed today?

This may sound like a bashing post but it is more to try and realise the things that we do not know about King. I have still never seen him play and I am sure alot of people are the same. I have also only saw people really comment on his power. Which means very little - to me - if you don't have a level of techinical ability to match.

Eriku

He's nothing like John Carew...

King is highly rated. Do you think someone with the technical ability of a donkey, would be highly rated? Technically he's very good.
Hah... tbf that's bullshit... That sort of comment is more reserved for Heskey, Carew can handle the ball quite decently. I also recall that Cannavaro stated he was the worst opponent he'd come up against... Surely someone with the technical ability of a donkey wouldn't be able to dominate Real at the Bernabeau the way he did a couple of season's ago?

If indeed he turns out to be a Carew with better technique, I can't fecking wait to see him blossom.

Ekeke

But how do we really know if King is not the new Carew based on the speed, power and work rate showed today?

This may sound like a bashing post but it is more to try and realise the things that we do not know about King. I have still never seen him play and I am sure alot of people are the same. I have also only saw people really comment on his power. Which means very little - to me - if you don't have a level of techinical ability to match.
Yes you have

Who cares about pace?

I have watched him a few times in the reserves and have been very impressed.

Tonight, I thought he done OK. Nothing to suggest he will be good enough though.

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
I did not just post youtube videos to assess a player's technical ability.
Your idea of what constitutes a good footballer has no basis other than in your own head, so it would be pointless to offer an opinion in those circumstances.

There's a very easy way to find out what you are looking for and that's to watch him over a period of months and years like the rest of us have done.

Brwned

Because they've watched him before.

The people who haven't watched him don't generally comment on him, surprisingly enough. If you've not seen enough of his technique and don't care for the comments then be a bit patient instead of posting the same thing each week...or, if you're really daring, try listening to the opinions of people who have watched him in the reserves - they're all positive about his technique!

Scholesy

Because they've watched him before.

The people who haven't watched him don't generally comment on him, surprisingly enough. If you've not seen enough of his technique and don't care for the comments then be a bit patient instead of posting the same thing each week...or, if you're really daring, try listening to the opinions of people who have watched him in the reserves - they're all positive about his technique!
If Joga Bonito has watched him in the reserves, then this is good. It is of more value than youtube clips.

The ones who have watched him in the reserves, also probably believe Macheda is technically good enough. Which I disagree with.

Maybe I should not post until I have watched him play 90 minutes. But to the posters who are excited because they are reading the positive reports but have not watched him in the reserves, please consider more things than just work rate and power.

Brwned

I know you find it hard to believe but you're really not the voice of reason here, nor is what you're pointing out at all enlightening - they'll have known that before, they just happen to appreciate more than one aspect of the game.

Scholesy

I know you find it hard to believe but you're really not the voice of reason here, nor is what you're pointing out at all enlightening - they'll have known that before, they just happen to appreciate more than one aspect of the game.
I know most posters think I am a wum. Which is kind of different to 'the voice of reason'. Maybe you are the voice of reason?

I appreciate physical power. But as I said, only if technical ability is of a certain level.

Ekeke

I know most posters think I am a wum. Which is kind of different to 'the voice of reason'. Maybe you are the voice of reason?

I appreciate physical power. But as I said, only if technical ability is of a certain level.
His technical ability is fine, as with all our young forwards that might make the grade.

Do you even rate any of our young forwards, aside from William Keane for obvious reasons?

Brwned

Which is the same as pretty much every other person on here! We all know that you have to have a certain level of technical ability to play at this club, it's demanded, and we've grown used to a certain base level.

You bring it up constantly as if you can see technique better than most people, or that you understand the game on a different level, or that you know what making it as a young player is all about...it's like you're so unaware of the world around you.

Scholesy

His technical ability is fine, as with all our young forwards that might make the grade.

Do you even rate any of our young forwards, aside from William Keane for obvious reasons?
Macheda, Welbeck and Diouf will not be here in 2-3 years.

Keane will make it. King, I am undecided.

Scholesy

You bring it up constantly as if you can see technique better than most people, or that you understand the game on a different level, or that you know what making it as a young player is all about...it's like you're so unaware of the world around you.
I see it 'different' to most people. It is OK to have a different opinion.

Brwned

Yeah but different in your case usually translates better as 'wrong'.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Welbeck's technique is probably among the best of the academy products of the past few years, certainly that I've seen.

Oh, and what a surprise, a Scholesy comment about technique has derailed a thread for over a page. Self-parody.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Is there any link confirming Obertan at Deepdale
Someone on the Preston forum said they spoke to some Pompey fans and he was there because he's mates with one of their french lads.

Someone on the Preston forum said they spoke to some Pompey fans and he was there because he's mates with one of their french lads.
Ah ok, I'd be surprised if he was loaned, but then at the same time I'm not expecting him to feature all that much for us this season

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
If Joga Bonito has watched him in the reserves, then this is good. It is of more value than youtube clips.

The ones who have watched him in the reserves, also probably believe Macheda is technically good enough. Which I disagree with.

Maybe I should not post until I have watched him play 90 minutes. But to the posters who are excited because they are reading the positive reports but have not watched him in the reserves, please consider more things than just work rate and power.
Most people offering opinions HAVE watched him in the reserves...Personally I think a youtube clip is a fair reflection of Josh more then most players you see because I've never seen him not capable of ripping a defence apart with his single mindedness. 9/10 if your watching a game with Josh playing, he has it in his locker. It's part of why he's so highly rated. He's consistant, for the type of player he is.

You would know this if you venture into the reserve forum, most of these lads will have watched him. No one said Kiko was technically good enough yet. Far from it. He's raw. Many is the night i've wished the fooker was as talented as Rossi with the ball, but consistantly technically gifted he is not - and Josh is a better technical player.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Scholesy attempts to deal with certainty to make his opinions sound as if they have more substance.

There are very few dead certs. Will Keane is promising, but he's no dead cert. Welbeck stood out a lot more at that level, and he's not a dead cert either.

What you can say about all of them (Welbeck, Macheda, King, Keane) is that so far, they have stepped up to each challenge that has come their way, as is expected. Long way to go yet.

Good to hear that King has made a great start to his loan spell though.

Scholesy

How can you have any idea whether he'll make it when he's so far away from doing so right now?
I would be very suprised if Keane did not make it. I think he will make it because he has an excellent attitude, technically brilliant and a very clever player. I would say comparisons could be made to Wilshere despite entirely different roles. Physically, he should grow over 6ft, and being British always helps ie Pique, Rossi...

You would know this if you venture into the reserve forum, most of these lads will have watched him. No one said Kiko was technically good enough yet. Far from it. He's raw. Many is the night i've wished the fooker was as talented as Rossi with the ball, but consistantly technically gifted he is not - and Josh is a better technical player.
This is good news. King is certainly an interesting prospect.

Brophs

The One and Only
A newbie posted this earlier. He's going to (hopefully) be giving us a reports on how the lads are doing this season....

I've signed up to give reports of King and James as I am a Preston fan, and today, the former was shit-hot. He left Sonko and Mokoena, International defenders, for dead countless times, and should of had a hat-trick but Ashdown did make some good saves. At another point he rounded Ashdown but Sonko cleared off the line. Looks like he's gonna rip up lots of defences this season.

Matty James is also a great player. Today he was quiet though but did his job in-front of the defence well. I will be giving you weekly reports on these two, hopefully more on the way (Obertan was at the game today.)

Ekeke

I would be very suprised if Keane did not make it. I think he will make it because he has an excellent attitude, technically brilliant and a very clever player. I would say comparisons could be made to Wilshere despite entirely different roles. Physically, he should grow over 6ft, and being British always helps ie Pique, Rossi...

This is good news. King is certainly an interesting prospect.
I like Keane but I'm not sure he'll have the urgency and physicality to make it as a striker at United. And while he's got good technique and is a clever player for his age, these are qualities not so much in abundance that he will definitely make it. I've seen lots of players just as technically sound and just as clever at Spanish clubs and they havent made it at good clubs. Keane might but he's so far away from doing it right now that there's not much point in talking about it.

lysglimt

Scout
He's nothing like John Carew...

King is highly rated. Do you think someone with the technical ability of a donkey, would be highly rated? Technically he's very good.
Tony Adams might disagree with you on that one

Striker10

Hah... tbf that's bullshit... That sort of comment is more reserved for Heskey, Carew can handle the ball quite decently. I also recall that Cannavaro stated he was the worst opponent he'd come up against... Surely someone with the technical ability of a donkey wouldn't be able to dominate Real at the Bernabeau the way he did a couple of season's ago?

If indeed he turns out to be a Carew with better technique, I can't fecking wait to see him blossom.
Have you watched him? He's NOTHING like John. Just because he's compared to him, partly because of Gambian connections..they are NOTHING alike...as players, they are completely different. Tbf..that's the truth. They are not even remotely similar. King uses his pace more, can be more individualistic and isn't really a target man. You should watch him. Incidently madrid's defence is rarely all that

I wouldn't mind if they were similar. Yes they're both Norwegian. Both have Gambian connections but that's about it.

datura

Have you watched him? He's NOTHING like John. Just because he's compared to him, partly because of Gambian connections..they are NOTHING alike...as players, they are completely different. Tbf..that's the truth. They are not even remotely similar.

King uses his pace more, can be more individualistic and isn't really a target man. You should watch him. Incidently madrid's defence is rarely all that
Read his post you quoted again, he never compared them. He just made the perfectly valid point that Carew has decent technique.

Striker10

Read his post you quoted again, he never compared them. He just made the perfectly valid point that Carew has decent technique.
The touch of a donkey was an exaggerated point. I wasn't suggesting Carew was a donkey afterall. Kings technique is superior at the level we have seen. That was in responce to Scholesy question. However, worded different the tone of the responce would have been different