Joshua King / signs for Watford

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Solskjaer apparently see's him as a long term option, hence buying and not loaning. Really? Christ
If he could be a cheap cheap back up option? Maybe? By no means the most exciting signing, and i dont think anyones first choice
50 million? :lol: I mean hes an alright player on the best of days, but that's just absurd

SirAF

Ageist
The Noggie hysteria in Norway would go into overdrive if this were to happen :o

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
£50m+ :lol: I’d do the same in Bournemouth’s position.
I wouldn't. You'll likely end up with a player unhappy at missing out at a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and others players wondering what will happen if a similar opportunity was granted to them. Stances like that will kill morale.

dev1l

The Noggie hysteria in Norway would go into overdrive if this were to happen :o
Having an English like name would have also resuscitate the Brexit FC dimwits agenda over here :)

dev1l

I wouldn't. You'll likely end up with a player unhappy at missing out at a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and others players wondering what will happen if a similar opportunity was granted to them. Stances like that will kill morale.
After being labelled a 50 million player, King will tell Bournemouth to improve his salary accordingly...
(BTW I won't be surprised that some transfer experts over here will translate Bournemouth 50 million request into Ole ready to pay 50 million for King. Similar to what happened with Longstaff where we rated the player but we were clearly not ready to buy at that ridiculous price)

Bristol_Red_87

Surely that should read 'twice-in-a-lifetime'?

Thiagoal

When I hear stories like this, I really do wonder what the feck our vast network of scouts and sophisticated databases are doing?

Why are we not unearthing the talented strikers on the continent that have great potential instead of pursuing obvious run of the mill players that play in our own league?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
When I hear stories like this, I really do wonder what the feck our vast network of scouts and sophisticated databases are doing?

Why are we not unearthing the talented strikers on the continent that have great potential instead of pursuing obvious run of the mill players that play in our own league?

iHicksy

I'm not being funny but 50mil is the going rate for a premiership striker nowadays. Bournemouth are heavily reliant on him and it's January as well. It's not like this is the summer transfer window. They are well within their rights to ask for such an amount. It's not reflective of his quality, it's reflective of the situation, his importance to them and the timing.

Thiagoal

It could also mean that £50m tweet is real and we're not going entertain the pursuit any longer.
if I was King I’d be kicking up a massive fuss right now! This opportunity will never come around again! Next season he could be playing Wycombe in the Championship or playing games at the top end of the Premier League

AshRK

Bournemouth are one of the worst runs club in PL. Buying shitty players for absurd amounts and then asking for absurd amounts for average players. I hope they get relegated and King joins someone for 15m.

-Supreme-

I'm not being funny but 50mil is the going rate for a premiership striker nowadays. Bournemouth are heavily reliant on him and it's January as well. It's not like this is the summer transfer window. They are well within their rights to ask for such an amount. It's not reflective of his quality, it's reflective of the situation, his importance to them and the timing.
Yep that's what I thought too before I looked up that his contract is expiring next year so I guess Bournemouth are more willing to listen to reasonable offers considering that he's now a depreciating asset - the longer they keep hold of him they'd end up getting nothing from him in 18 months time.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Saved from ourselves. Buying more dead wood for the new manager to deal with is so United.

Name Changed

weso26
When I heard the news that we were interested I was happy enough. A decent option and better than what we had been linked with. I presumed 10 or 15 million. 50? feck that.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
To think people in here were happy to sell Lukaku for as little as £45m in the summer. If anything we still let him go too cheap.

Alabaster Codify7

People will think I'm exaggerating, but I seriously doubt we have a scouting network. Not a very sophisticated one anyway. I think the manager decides he needs a player, tells the money-managers and together they come up with a plan - often, an obvious one.

I think its safe to say that we havent scouted any strikers in this window until about 1 week ago.

tjb

Who will buy 250k a week CF who is consistently inconsistent? It would be a miracle if we offload him in summer.
Maybe Inter can help us...He really needs to show consistency over the next few months to convince me.

He'sRaldo

We dont necessarily need that though. Rashford is the main goalscorer for us, similar to Salah for Liverpool. Between the two of them, there is enough goals. We need more from everyone else. I'm not worried about Greenwood completing that 3 either, he gets loads and itll be a fine trio. What we need is depth. Right now Rashford had to play every game, as did Martial. Both are weaker without the other, and our depth for them is an 18 year old (as good as he is), and James who just came from the championship and is a pure winger anyway. We need a player that will enable us to play a similar style whenever we rest one of the main 2, or rotate them. Makes sense for King.
Not sure if he's good enough anyway, but it makes sense. My choice wouldve been Mertens as he could start on the right, or central, while being capable of playing the same role as Martial, but also the age where Greenwoods development won't be blocked.

If we get a Haaland type in, then Rashford changes roles from what he was all year (as a wide forward) to more what he was under Mourinho as a winger, and making him nowhere near as good as he can be. While also dropping Martial to bench, leading to inevitably him leaving and again still needing a squad player, going full circle to targetting someone like King again. Fix the depth up front, less pressure to overuse players, fix midfield to give them chances and it might all look a lot better. It should at least.
Good post.

With the likes of Fernandes and Pogba playing with King, I'm sure he'll have a bit better numbers than he did at Bournemouth. Sensible signing combined with Fernandes IMO. If we were to get the 2, decent, PL proven goalscorer and good creator, it will be quite a good January window.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The xtra money the clubs are getting from the TV deal is inflating the prices
True which is why I believe we should avoid buying players from the EPL in the first place.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good post.

With the likes of Fernandes and Pogba playing with King, I'm sure he'll have a bit better numbers than he did at Bournemouth. Sensible signing combined with Fernandes IMO. If we were to get the 2, decent, PL proven goalscorer and good creator, it will be quite a good January window.
Yeah. Given prices though seems unlikely (would be crazy). Something like 20m, fine and would fit the squad. No point in spending big on a squad player though. There are bargains to be found out there.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
thank goodness we've come to our senses -- did Ole really think this guy was good enough for United? if so...

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Having an English like name would have also resuscitate the Brexit FC dimwits agenda over here :)
They aren’t still about are they? Idiots.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I can see why fans are angry at average players but i will never understand why fans moan about the clubs when we sign players. It's like they started to follow the game just a day back and think
What? You are the one who sounds like you started to follow football few days ago.
When you buy a wrong player you are stuck with him. You can't sign a player for 20 mil and sell him for 20 mil next year if you are not happy. I mean you can sometimes but in general no.
Why we are in the mess last 6 years? Because we are spending money badly.
And we keep doing that.

Jaonz

Thank god this won't go through. Transfer session open for a month yet we panic inquiry all over the places on the last day.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What? You are the one who sounds like you started to follow football few days ago.
When you buy a wrong player you are stuck with him. You can't sign a player for 20 mil and sell him for 20 mil next year if you are not happy. I mean you can sometimes but in general no.
Why we are in the mess last 6 years? Because we are spending money badly.
And we keep doing that.
I said people moaning about clubs from where we sign players, i dont know how that matters.

Last edited:

Sylar

Cant blame Bournemouth for asking for 50m. If he contributes to them staying up, then worth it for them. Theres no point having 30m from us if they cant bring in somebody as good if not better.

Same time, for United, 50m is too much for a backup short term player like King. and for a long term player we can do so much better. So its best we step away.
Only issue now is we still lack a striker for our squad and Rashford being out for as long as he will be is a huge blow.

Sp00ks11

Exactly this. I posted something similar about a week ago, they honestly seem to do fcuk all that’s for sure.

Joeace2020

They'll sell eventually. The talk about us ending the pursuit is right out of the Bruno Fernandes transfer playbook