Joshua King / signs for Watford

Mark Pawelek

Are you holding up OK?

Maybe try and leave the random unnecessary aggression out eh?
Please accept my apologies. It's just a way of talking; not meant as random aggression. In future I'll try harder to post plain facts; though it makes my posts even drier. There's too much aggro in this forum already.

wolvored

This is a waste of money imo. Josh King brings nothing to the team and we have plenty of back up players. We need to concentrate on quality players like Bruno is in order to catch Liverpool and City. Put it this way, what other top team would be after King?

yo@Kirk

Spending 20m on Josh King instead of 25m on Odsonne Edouard is the kind of move a team hoping for a Europa League spot would make, imo.

iHicksy

Please accept my apologies. It's just a way of talking; not meant as random aggression. In future I'll try harder to post plain facts; though it makes my posts even drier. There's too much aggro in this forum already.
Appreciated.

Ed9

400,000 what? Can't be £, that's more than anyone in the Prem.
Yes, £. It's in the link here somewhere. Might be wrong, but they say the club wants to convince him with an improved deal.

Gopher Brown

We lose Igalo, we lose some experience. If one of Martial or Rashford goes down, then we are dependent on a 19y.o Greenwood? This is why Sancho is critical as he can play across the front three. Spend the money on him and the use the rest on King as a backup -- and the only front line player over 24y.o.
Except we already have ‘back-ups’ of the same caliber as King, in Lingard, James, Pereira. I get your point, I just don’t think our squad would be improved in any way by signing the 18th placed team’s second best forward.

flappyjay

Except we already have ‘back-ups’ of the same caliber as King, in Lingard, James, Pereira. I get your point, I just don’t think our squad would be improved in any way by signing the 18th placed team’s second best forward.
Maguire, Robertson were signed from a relegated team. We are also might be hoping to sign another player from a relegation threatened team(Grealish). We signed Ighalo from the Chinese league and it proved to be smart business.

flappyjay

Spending 20m on Josh King instead of 25m on Odsonne Edouard is the kind of move a team hoping for a Europa League spot would make, imo.
How long will he be willing to stick around if he doesn't break past Martial?

jamesjimmybyrondean

This is a waste of money imo. Josh King brings nothing to the team and we have plenty of back up players. We need to concentrate on quality players like Bruno is in order to catch Liverpool and City. Put it this way, what other top team would be after King?
Any top team that has no backup striker and wants a cheap solid one would be after King. But the twist is they would have a worldclass striker while King would be the back up. For example I doubt anybody would complain if Kane was our striker and King was the backup. Thats actually very solid

But we don't have Kane or a worldclass striker...we have Martial. I get the feeling that Ole is trusting Martial to become good enough for any top team. We wouldn't have been targeting a back up striker like King or Ighalo happy to sit on the bench if Ole was not comfortable with Martial

The question for me isn't whether King is a solid back up option for any top team because he is. The question i would ask would be "can we trust Martial to become a reliable striker that is enough for any top team to be able get a back up like King or Ighalo who are willing to sit on the bench".

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

If he isn't good enough then he shouldn't be sticking around. If he is more than good enough for the bench but Martial is doing too well for him to break past then that means Martial is a very good striker. I'd be more worried about him flopping than him being good but not able to break past Martial

flappyjay

Any top team that has no backup striker and wants a cheap solid one would be after King. But the twist is they would have a worldclass striker while King would be the back up. For example I doubt anybody would complain if Kane was our striker and King was the backup. Thats actually very solid

But we don't have Kane or a worldclass striker...we have Martial. I get the feeling that Ole is trusting Martial to become good enough for any top team. We wouldn't have been targeting a back up striker like King or Ighalo happy to sit on the bench if Ole was not comfortable with Martial

The question for me isn't whether King is a solid back up option for any top team because he is. The question i would ask would be "can we trust Martial to become a reliable striker that is enough for any top team to be able get a back up like King or Ighalo who are willing to sit on the bench".
Hence here is the problem I think a lot of you expect every hole to be filled up at one go. Martial hasn't been world class but has done well enough with limited service, hence can be trusted in the current face of the build. Our right wingers are to not be trusted that's why we should fill that rw spot with a top class player (Sancho) . If Martial was our main weakness we would probably sniffing around kane/werner. As it stands a striker and maybe lb are problems for next year.

yo@Kirk

About as long as Martial will be willing to stick around when he breaks past Martial. Competition promotes quality, imo.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
They don't play in the same position. And the main problem with the three players you named is that they haven't been back-ups - they've been first choice most of the season.

In terms of striker we only really have Martial and Greenwood, with Rashford as an emergency option. Greenwood isn't ready to slot in and play every game if Martial gets injured, but does need a decent amount of games to continue his development. Signing someone of the profile of King or Ighalo basically means that we have faith in Martial being first choice next season and faith in Greenwood going further forward. If Martial doesn't take the step up to the next level I'm sure we would then be looking to sign a proper replacement the following season.

King isn't my first choice either, but signing someone like him or Ighalo is important to tide us over for a year or two. By that stage Greenwood should be ready to play a more important role and we'll also know whether Martial has taken the step up or not.

Gopher Brown

Maguire, Robertson were signed from a relegated team. We are also might be hoping to sign another player from a relegation threatened team(Grealish). We signed Ighalo from the Chinese league and it proved to be smart business.
Maguire was signed from Leicester. We weren’t interested in at Hull, you can’t say playing for Leicester did nothing for his development as a footballer. Also, him and Robertson were far and away Hull’s best players, and they were 24 and 23 when then were signed.

I’m not sure what I’m arguing here for any more. It makes no difference either way, I’d just rather we didn’t waste time and money on signing such an underwhelming player.

wolvored

Thats the $64000 question. Will Martial ever get to be that top striker. Comparing him to Kane at his age and there is no comparison. Thats why i said we need to concentrate on getting a top striker as we already got the backup striker - Martial

jamesjimmybyrondean

Thats the $64000 question. Will Martial ever get to be that top striker. Comparing him to Kane at his age and there is no comparison. Thats why i said we need to concentrate on getting a top striker as we already got the backup striker - Martial
I wouldnt mind having Martial as a bench option but we are not operating on a limitless budget so we have to spend on positions that matters first and i'd say Martial as our striker should be among the least of our worries. Unless theres a top striker available for cheap, i dont see why we should be spending alot of money on a striker when we have other pressing needs

Andersonson

He can play in various attacking positions, but not sure he's actually any better than the backups we already got. And we also have to give Mason playing time. Dan James is just as good and brings a little more pace, but isnt as strong. King isnt a goal machine either, so he's not bringing much needed smartness to the attack.

I would rather we keep what we got and give Mason more time and bring in a really good RW, like Sancho. Rashford, Mason and Martial can all play LW and striker and that where King is best too.

hobbers

Would have been a shit signing in january and will be an even shitter signing now.

Right level of signing for a club with a manager and ceo working in perfect unison to create a fearsome side that can finish in the europa league places more often than not.

He’s obviously worse than all our current forwards, Ighalo very much included, and even this ‘signing him as a backup’ argument - there are literally thousands of better options out there. We’d be choosing King over all these other options purely because of his links with Ole and his agent pal.

rollingstoned1

Is he really a better option than ighalo if we can't sign him up? I liked whatever I saw of odion and he has experience. I'm less convinced of Kings pedigree when he isn't even one of Bournemouth's stars.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Would have been a shit signing in january and will be an even shitter signing now.

Right level of signing for a club with a manager and ceo working in perfect unison to create a fearsome side that can finish in the europa league places more often than not.

He’s obviously worse than all our current forwards, Ighalo very much included, and even this ‘signing him as a backup’ argument - there are literally thousands of better options out there. We’d be choosing King over all these other options purely because of his links with Ole and his agent pal.
I'd say it's his links to Utd more than Ole himself. I guess if we're signing a squad player who, in a perfect world (if both Martial and Greenwood really kick on), won't actually play all that much it makes sense for them to be a Utd fan who would be more willing to settle for that without causing problems.

Personally I would want someone the next level up who can actually push Martial and can be ready to be first choice if Martial gets injured for a decent amount of time (Greenwood is still at least a year or two away from being ready for that role).

Fitchett

I don't get all the negativity on here. Real football isn't like FM. It consists of a myriad of factors, including dressing room harmony. There aren't any top level strikers, of CAF standard, willing to sign up and take a pay cut, to be used in a back up role. A back up striker is exactly that, a back up, who can contribute in the easier games and when called upon. It makes sense to sign decent strikers like Ighalo or King, who have a genuine affection for the club and won't rock the boat when left out of the starting 11. Look at the reports of the effect the signing of Sanchez had, on sky high wages and not a 1st team regular. Ole knows what he is doing and is on the right track.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't get all the negativity on here. Real football isn't like FM. It consists of a myriad of factors, including dressing room harmony. There aren't any top level strikers, of CAF standard, willing to sign up and take a pay cut, to be used in a back up role. A back up striker is exactly that, a back up, who can contribute in the easier games and when called upon. It makes sense to sign decent strikers like Ighalo or King, who have a genuine affection for the club and won't rock the boat when left out of the starting 11. Look at the reports of the effect the signing of Sanchez had, on sky high wages and not a 1st team regular. Ole knows what he is doing and is on the right track.
That's BS. A top manager can easily accommodate 2 strikers whose fighting for a first team place. Sir Alex did with the treble side and all the strikers in that team were way better then Martial and Greenwood are. After Fellaini (Moyes), Valdes, Bastian, Blind and Depay (LVG) and Matic (Mou), you'll expect the club to know better then signing a manager/manager's agent mate.

jamesjimmybyrondean

King is a solid back up but there are also quite a number of solid back ups we could get for the 15-20m. The difference is King wants to come here and we can be sure he would give his all. That's probably why King ranks higher than other 15-20m solid backups we could get

Last edited:

wolvored

I wouldnt mind having Martial as a bench option but we are not operating on a limitless budget so we have to spend on positions that matters first and i'd say Martial as our striker should be among the least of our worries. Unless theres a top striker available for cheap, i dont see why we should be spending alot of money on a striker when we have other pressing needs
I think Ole will bring in another striker. Dembele seems to get the most mentions in the media. Not sure if he is that much better than Martial, but as you say we havent a limitless budget.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think Ole will bring in another striker. Dembele seems to get the most mentions in the media. Not sure if he is that much better than Martial, but as you say we havent a limitless budget.
Yeah I'm pretty sure we're not spending past 30m on a striker. Don't know if we can get Dembele for that

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
King is a solid back up but there are also quite a number of solid back ups we could get for the 15-20m. The difference is King wants to come here and we can be sure he would give his all. That's probably why King ranks higher than other 15-20m solid backups we could get
Yep, there also wouldn't be any threat of him leaving as he'd know his place and would be comfortable here.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
When's the title from? Have we bid recently?