Joshua King / signs for Watford

Ranchero

Manchester United have made a move for Bournemouth striker Joshua King which has been rejected.

But Eddie Howe, the Cherries manager, has indicated that the 28-year-old could still move, although he has said that it was too late for them to get in any replacement.

He said: "I don't imagine too much happening to day, but you can never say never."

On Joshua King he said: "It's a difficult one, I am not going to deny anything...but I don't want to talk too much about it. There's still a day to go. Who knows what is going to happen between now and the deadline closing.

"Josh is much valued and loved by us. And obviously, another club has seen how good he is. So let us wait and see.

"He is a massive part of our team. He has been for a long period of time. He brings that unique pace and strength that he has coupled with really good technical ability and an eye for goal.

"He has been a massive part of what we have done in the last few years here. He plays in a number of positions as well for us, hat versatility is key.

"We have missed him since he has been out injured. So speaking as the manager of the club, I would be very reluctant to lose a player of that quality.

"The difficulty from our perspective is how late it is in the window. A day to go, it is incredibly difficult to find a replacement for a player of that quality."

Asked if he would be let go if the offer was high enough he added: "It is a difficult question for me to answer because it is not my call at the end of the day. It is between the chief executive and the owner of the football club.

"All I can say is I love Josh as a player and a person, respect him greatly, and I respect his situation. I know what Manchester United means to him, with his history connected with the club. So I understand his position. Let's wait and see."

UPDATE 4.55pm: Ole has said he "doesn't think" the club will sign more players before the 11pm deadline. But he also said Ashley Young and Marcos Rojo would not be leaving Old Trafford this month. And hey presto, they've gone.

And BBC Solent are reporting that United have told the Cherries their pursuit of the Norway international is over.

Last edited:

Tiber

I might be reading into it too much, but this doesn't make it sound like the deal is 100% dead imo

"We have missed him since he has been out injured, so speaking as manager I would be very reluctant to let him leave. With a day to go in the window it's very difficult to find a replacement.
"It's going to be [a decision] between the chief executive and owner. I love Josh as a player and person. I know what Manchester United means to him with his history with the club, so I understand his position."

slored1

Oh for feck's sake, there are many other strikers available and much cheaper/better than him.

RonaldoVII

£27m was rejected apparently. I'm all for getting a striker in on a short term loan as a quick fix but £27m for 28 year old King seems a panic buy.

WelshManc

Isn't he injured?

Also, I don't think he's good enough. He's not the type of striker that 'will break their nose to score goals'.

dweb

Considering a 2nd bid according to SSN.
How bad is the injury? Not much point having another injured striker.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I might be reading into it too much, but this doesn't make it sound like the deal is 100% dead imo
I'd read that the same way, sounds like the door is left ajar for an offer.....

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
£27m was rejected apparently. I'm all for getting a striker in on a short term loan as a quick fix but £27m for 28 year old King seems a panic buy.
I don't know what baffles me more here, that we offered £27m or that they turned it down...

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It sounds as if there is a second improved bid made and it's up to the board of Bournemouth to make the decision.

I think given that Bournemouth are not in great shapes financially and King has an infinity with United, I think this could happen and I for one would be very happy.
Not a prolific goalscorer but works tirelessly, can score when given an opportunity and a good age.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Think King has asked Howe to respect his wishes to leave.
But Howe is 100% right here. What are the Cherries going to do in the TW with time ticking by ? Not much I imagine.

-Supreme-

Surely he'd cost around £50m which doesn't make sense at all, I'd rather not buy any strikers in this window

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
It's the English player tax though. Was never going to be cheap.

Santos J

I don't know what baffles me more here, that we offered £27m or that they turned it down...
You only have to read a Bournemouth forum to see how much they rate him, no surprise at all they'd turn down £27m if true.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
27 million is an absolute no go.
28 year old with a ok-ish scoring record and a indifferent all-round game,nah.

TrustInOle

Would be very happy if this is who we ended up with this window. Past history, fellow Norwegian (?), love for United and ex academy prospect. Makes a real hassle upfront and is always moving and offering himself as an outlet, good history from the youth team with Ole if I'm not mistaken? Would also be a very decent option to have going into following seasons. Get this over the line and been one of the best winter transfers in recent years.

Cliche Guevara

"We have missed him since he has been out injured, so speaking as manager I would be very reluctant to let him leave. With a day to go in the window it's very difficult to find a replacement.
"It's going to be [a decision] between the chief executive and owner. I love Josh as a player and person. I know what Manchester United means to him with his history with the club, so I understand his position."
No, we’ll be buying Josh King later on today but paying nearer the £40m Bournemouth want as opposed to the £27m we’ve offered so far.

It’s a sales pitch more than anything in my view.

Godfather

Never really thought he was anything special. 27 mill should have been enough. Move on

Alabaster Codify7

Loan, yes.
£27m purchase? Feck no. Of the options linked, I would only want us to buy Adolfo Gaich, the others all loans or nothing.

kps88

They'd be mad to sell one of their best players while they lie in the relegation zone.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Phil Jones has company on the medical bench.

CM10

Solskjaer would be a fool to sanction this deal, especially having spent so much time talking about attracting the right type of player.

King is as average as they come and has a flaky injury record, it would be the definition of a panic buy.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The type of signing Liverpool would regularly make during their 30-year hiatus.

red thru&thru

Yea, seems as though Eddie has left the door open for a move. But £27m more than enough. no way getting £40m.

Jinn

I say we should go for it. At worst he will be a good squad player for the future.
We need a striker. the kid plays in different positions as well.
If we want to give ourselves a shot at making CL next season then we probably have to bite the bullet and pay over the odds for a striker this late on.

Ranchero

I think that would be right.

Looks like Josh wants to go. But perhaps our late approach could scupper any movement. Time will tell. The next 13 or so hours should be interesting.

luke511

we have another £27 million to spend?! Dani Olmo cost less than that

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Makes a real hassle upfront and is always moving and offering himself as an outlet, good history from the youth team with Ole if I'm not mistaken? Would also be a very decent option to have going into following seasons. Get this over the line and been one of the best winter transfers in recent years.
I tend to agree, I think he could surprise a few people and be a very decent signing for us, offering something different...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's very athletic but made of glass. Seems to score in purple patches also.

While it wouldn't be an AWFUL move, it's not an exciting one. Is Josh King really any different than what we already have?

cyberman

We would easily get the money back in a years time from an English club.