Joshua King / signs for Watford

crossy1686

career ending
Some of you need to give your heads a wobble quoting Liverpool wilderness years nonsense.

If case you haven't noticed, it's January deadline day, not a fecking soul is on the market and available that's of any value. King has been talked about as a potential backup striker target for a while now so it's not a panic buy either.

We've all seen how Martial performs when there's no competition for places and now we've got the option to bring someone in who knows what the expectation of a United player. It's smart business considering the state we're currently in, if we don't we will be miles off the top 4 come the end of the season.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Pogba, King, Sanchez...

feck it, lets just recall all our previous sold / loaned players and have a 'reunion team'...

-------------------------------GK?----------------------------
Rafael------Smalling--------Evans-----------LB?
-----------Herrera----------------------Pogba---------
----Zaha------------------Rooney---------------Sanchez----
--------------------------King-------------------------------------

Managed by LvG

We all know this'd give our current set up a good game (possibly even beat it!)

Feel free to add in players

Saddy

Bit of a "Teddy Sheringham" feel about this one plus it leaves the door ajar for Martial to go for hopefully big money in the summer and replaced with a quality player - Ole must be confident that King can provide the necessary effort and better movement than Martial IMO

Gets the 4 strikers with an experienced player ok with playing off the subs bench but good enough to start and put pressure on Martial who bloody needs it !

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What sort of message this will send? we have nothing to play for this season, instead of blooding Gomes, or preparing for a real striker, we looked at Joshua King, our very own Joshua King
If this goes through and it’s a big if at the moment, you’re buying him as a back up striker, so blooding Gomes there won’t work.

I don’t get what everyone’s so up in arms about, you’ve offered a really low bid, he’s a united academy graduate and Ole knows him well as a player and a person. He’s an emergency buy, you need an emergency buy and given that Chelsea, Barca and goodness knows who else are all scrapping around for a striker, if you get him cheap you’ll have done well.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well at least he is from Man Utd Academy... welcome back home

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Some of you need to give your heads a wobble quoting Liverpool wilderness years nonsense.

If case you haven't noticed, it's January deadline day, not a fecking soul is on the market and available that's of any value. King has been talked about as a potential backup striker target for a while now so it's not a panic buy either.

We've all seen how Martial performs when there's no competition for places and now we've got the option to bring someone in who knows what the expectation of a United player. It's smart business considering the state we're currently in, if we don't we will be miles off the top 4 come the end of the season.
I can definitely see the comparisons to Liverpool. If we'd have replaced Lukaku in the Summer and not on January deadline day, we wouldn't have to be resorting to Josh King as a back-up. We'd have a top striker in place already.

Sylar

Are you worried about players or from which clubs we are buying?

Since we wanna talk about Liverpool and signing from some of the clubs mentioned, we could look at Liverpool signings and squad (even some of the first teamers):

Andy Robertson (Hull), wijnaldum (newcastle), Mane (southampton), VVD (Southampton), Ox (Arsenal), Shaqiri (Stoke), Henderson (Sunderland), Adrian (West Ham), Gomes (Charlton)

Ideally we would (and should) have got a much better striker in the summer (or somehow convinved Haaland). But were in a position right now where we need a striker and we have less than a day to get this sorted.

pearl1337

Oh my, you are all really muppets.
27 million for a PROVEN PL striker is nothing. He might not be world class, but lets take a look at world class pricing then. Mbappé is valued at 250 fecking million. How is 30 million +- a bad deal, on fecking deadline day, when no one else in the whole wide market that could potentially help us THIS season and onwards, available? No one else wants to join us now. I don't blame them.
And please dont act like you know oh so much about transfer business. Do you really believe United hasn't tried to bring anyone else in?

flappyjay

Stupid fee for a player with a poor injury record who its debatable if he is going to make much difference to our 1st team squad. When you take the wages and fee into account, it makes the decision to not push the boat out further for Haaland all the more crazy. Ole talking about our club and having a proper vision in the transfer market, while throwing subtle hints about previous managers making signings to suit themselves and not the club. And he is chasing a former youth player with a horrible injury record, who is mid table level at best, just because he likes him himself and coached him at youth level. A shambles if this is anything other than a loan.
He is chasing a back up striker and you lot are convinced that he is seen as some maquee signing. Greenwood has already played 30 games and we are still in January. Anda also are you confusing him with Calum Wilson? Besides this season Joshua's has a fine injury record. 36,33 and 35 games played in the league over the past 3 seasons. Where does this poor injury record come from

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Too late for King to play tomorrow now anyway, so I guess that factor can be ignored if otherwise fit for Chelsea.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
good player, likes to destroy chelsea
Good player as in spend £25m+ on him?
Among all these wonderful Norwegian kids available, we are going for Joshua King.

There are so many young quality strikers available and we are going for a guy no other team would go to.

He is the kind of signing which doesn't inspire and sadly will be a panic buy and that too for 20 m plus.
I guess the logic behind it from the club's perspective is that King has performed in the PL and had some good performances against some top sides. He is also acclimatised to the league and Manchester, so has no settling in period, per se.

IIRC, King can also play multiple positions, which is obviously beneficial in such a thin squad or even tactically, in-game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm pretty ok with this tbh. Ole isnt looking for a starter (nor can we get one right now, nor do we really need one). We need someone who's going to be a squad player long term, but it's always hard to get the right quality when you're selling it as that. We have Rashford and Martial as the main 2, a view for Greenwood to be the 3rd, but James and him fighting it out. King added in would give us that other option that gives us the same play style, keeps it versatile and suits the others. Also an academy product.

Rashford Martial Greenwood/James
Pogba McTom Bruno

James King Greenwood
Matic Fred Pereira​

crossy1686

career ending
I can definitely see the comparisons to Liverpool. If we'd have replaced Lukaku in the Summer and not on January deadline day, we wouldn't have to be resorting to Josh King as a back-up. We'd have a top striker in place already.
We tried to with Dybala but he wanted stupid wages. We've been down this path of signing players of that ilk who only want the cash. We've currently had to ship them all out because they were fecking gash.

poleglass red

If this goes through and it’s a big if at the moment, you’re buying him as a back up striker, so blooding Gomes there won’t work.

I don’t get what everyone’s so up in arms about, you’ve offered a really low bid, he’s a united academy graduate and Ole knows him well as a player and a person. He’s an emergency buy, you need an emergency buy and given that Chelsea, Barca and goodness knows who else are all scrapping around for a striker, if you get him cheap you’ll have done well.
I think he's being brought primarily to play on the wing and cover Rashford's absence, he can obviously play as central striker also, but I think for now if he does come it will be as a wide player

Jibbs

What worries me more about a signing like King is that means we won't go for a striker in Summer, so goodbye hopes of Dembele, Werner or Maxi.

What really got me excited yesterday hearing the rumor about Adolfo and watching his youtube video was his speed, balance and strength. All hallmarks of a great striker. I may be getting carried away, but I bet he will be a superstar in 2,3 years time and we will be ruing this day when we let him pass by for 13 14 m euros and signed a flop like King for 20 m plus.

Alabaster Codify7

What happens if his injury worsens or something and he misses the fecking rest of the season?

Surely there was someone out there who was you know, fit to play football? Slimani maybe? Or is it because Ole doesn't know Slimani?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is backup forward. Rashford is injured, we need someone on the bench for Martial, Greenwood and James. Otherwise Lingard will be used as our bench option as forward.

Once Rashford is back, he will be playing as backup to Greenwood or our other bench option. No big deal.

Last season he scored 12 goals in Premier league, the season before he scored 8 goals, the season prior he scored 16 goals, not really a terrible option for backup.

Ekeke

Good player as in spend £25m+ on him?

I guess the logic behind it from the club's perspective is that King has performed in the PL and had some good performances against some top sides. He is also acclimatised to the league and Manchester, so has no settling in period, per se.

IIRC, King can also play multiple positions, which is obviously beneficial in such a thin squad or even tactically, in-game.
Wasnt Wilson being valued at £50 million last season? I prefer King

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Why would you spend any money let alone £30m+ on someone who is currently injured, has been injured consistently over the last few years and has a really poor goal scoring record.

I'm reading he is out until the end of February, hardly the quick fix we currently need. If this is the standard of signings Ole is going to be making as part of his long term plan then we are in a lot of trouble.
He has been averaging 34 appearances out of 38. When was he consistently injured?

Nor is 10 goals a season a really poor record at a bottom club. It’s actually quite good.

So congrats, you’ve just made up your entire post and are talking complete shite.

crossy1686

career ending
What worries me more about a signing like King is that means we won't go for a striker in Summer, so goodbye Dembele, Werner and Maxi.

What really got me excited yesterday hearing the rumor about Adolfo and watching hi youtube video was his speed, balance and strength. All hallmarks of a great striker. I may be getting carried away, but I bet he will be a superstar in 2,3 years time and we will be runing this day when we let him pass by for 13 14 m euros and signed a flop like King for 20 m plus.
What? How does it mean that at all? He's backup...

If Adolfo was as good as you say he is then why hasn't another club snapped him up? Like a Spanish based team where he'd settle in way easier than he would in Manchester.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe, who confirmed there had been an approach for King and that a "decision" would have to be made, was quoted as telling the Daily Echo on New Year's Day that the forward would be out for six weeks.

"I think they’re going to be out for about five to six weeks," he said on King and defender Jack Stacey.

"They’ve got very similar injuries. Both hamstring injuries, both been given the same grade so a massive, massive blow.

"I think we missed Josh today [against West Ham, when they lost 4-0] with his pace and the power that he brings to the team."
If it is worst case (6 weeks) then he will be back in full training about a week before the Chelsea game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If we are looking for a backup striker then he'd be a good one. But instead of a backup, I feel we need to replace Martial. Let 'le sulk' be the backup.
Martial has done quite well this season all things considered. Especially formed a very good partnership with Rashford which was having a very good output as well. Makes sense to plan on continuing that.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Signing back up strikers is a luxury for top teams that already have quality, which isn't us. We've got 1 in Martial, who needs quality competition, not some mediocre stop gap who we only want because we didn't sign a proper replacement for Lukaku.

Bad decisions reaping more bad decisions.