Joshua King

Eriku

I hope he can make good on the promise that we saw in him when he had a right go at Wolves' backline in the League Cup ^_^

Distressing how fraught with injury his career has been since then, though :( no less because I was hoping he'd do big things for our national side... Good to see that Drillo recognises that his extreme physical talents are worth gambling on, though :)

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Another piece on our Noggie from the same paper from yesterdays piece:

http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/08/28/...g/manchester_united/per_joar_hansen/23150063/

Josh King arrived at Manchester United back in 2008 when he was just a 16 year old boy.

Four years later, and the road to claiming a spot in the first team seems to be endless. The likes of Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck, Javier Hernandez, Dimitar Berbatov, Shinji Kagawa and Federico Macheda seems to be ahead of him for that senior team spot, which is as hard as it gets for most youngsters.

The Norwegian has been capped once for United, which was a lively game agaisnt Wolverhampton in the Carling Cup back in 2009. Since then he's playing for the reserves aswell as loan spells to Preston, Hull and Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Despite that, he might get his debut for the Norwegian national team sooner rather then later. Egil Olsen revealed yesterday that he got a soft spot for the Norwegian and his extreme qualities in terms of raw power and pace. The only problem seems to be that Olsen doesnt think that playing for the reserves is giving King the matching that he sorely needs.

"Not an easy situation"

The U21-coach, Per Joar Hansen, doesnt hide the fact that he's told King to find himself a new club.

-"The most important thing for Josh right now is to find himself a club where he'll get to play and felt valued. Right now he's in one of the very best clubs in the world, fighting for a spot amongst world class players, so it's obvious that he's fighting an uphill battle for a spot in the first team. I've recommended to him to find himself a club who's willing to take a risk on him, and give him alot of gametime. He got all the qualities needed to become an important player for the Norwegian senior team."

How has King responded to these suggestions?

-"He finds himself in a tough situation at the moment. He needs to be a little selfish and concider where he feels he'll develop the most which means that he's next choice will be extremely important. We'll just have to wait and see if it'll happen in this transfer window or the next one. I'm just here to consult him if he choses to talk to me about the situation."

The U21-coach describes Kings top level as "incredible", and that we hardly see his ability to break through a defense in Norway. As mentioned yesterday, an Austrian U21-national said that hes never seen anyone quite like King.

-"It's not everyday you hear compliments like that. Josh has played in the Championship which is a tough league with big, strong players and he coped very well. He's also proven that he's a cut above the rest at a Reserve-team level. His next challenge will be to prove that he's able to take the step up. He has to think about where that step might be, and I really hope that he'll pick a club with a coach who's able to utilize his main attributes.

Hansen is also negative about King being shipped out on loan yet again.

-"When you're being loaned out, you usually end up being at the end of the line. The coach would rather play a player who've been bought, with a long term contract. That's the danger when going out on loan."

King has been unlucky with injuries so far, despite his young age, which was a main reason why his loan spell in Germany was a total disaster.

-"It's like driving a Ferrari on a Norwegian mountainroad. Some damage is impossible to avoid. I think that should be one of the things Josh has to concider when moving to another club aswell; That he's able to get full attention from the medical staff where they are making sure he's staying fit at all times."

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Not that anyone seems to care, but he's a hot topic in Norway these days. He himself has finally given a few words to the media:

http://united.no/united/nyheter/nyheter/ikke_interessert_i_championship

Not interested in Championship-football.

Joshua King has set himself a goal to be picked for the first team squad at Old Trafford before Christmas, or he might leave the club.

Despite supposedly heavy interest from a lot of clubs in the Championship, the 20 year old Norwegian is still determined to fight for a spot amongst Sir Alexs trusted men. Which is why he's declined any loan offers coming his way this summer.

King himself said this after yesterdays U21-game between United and Tottenham:

-"I've been out on loan to both Hull and Preston. I'm gonna stay at United until the right offer comes along."

His contract runs out after this season, but King has still set his mind to break through and become a United-regular. Atleast until Christmas.

-"If I'm not closer, or atleast closer to the first team then I am now, then atleast I can tell myself that I gave it all. Then it might be time for a new adventure."

Despite his determination to succeed at United, he still keeps his options open in this transfer window.

-"I am not a quitter, but obviously, if something great comes up then I have to make a decision. Never say never."

K Stand Knut

He'll be here until the summer at the latest then?

Not going to get the chances be needs / wants in the first team, IMO. Judging by last night, he probably wouldn't take those chances either. Hope he can step up to the grade but just can't see it

Rossa

He has terrific pace - maybe the fastest in the club - but he is lacking a bit in front of goal. Quite similar to Walcott in some respects, but stronger, perhaps even less technical ability...

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Not that anyone seems to care, but he's a hot topic in Norway these days. He himself has finally given a few words to the media:

Joshua King has set himself a goal to be picked for the first team squad at Old Trafford before Christmas, or he might leave the club.

Despite supposedly heavy interest from a lot of clubs in the Championship, the 20 year old Norwegian is still determined to fight for a spot amongst Sir Alexs trusted men. Which is why he's declined any loan offers coming his way this summer.

-"I've been out on loan to both Hull and Preston. I'm gonna stay at United until the right offer comes along."

His contract runs out after this season, but King has still set his mind to break through and become a United-regular. Atleast until Christmas.

-"If I'm not closer, or atleast closer to the first team then I am now, then atleast I can tell myself that I gave it all. Then it might be time for a new adventure."

Despite his determination to succeed at United, he still keeps his options open in this transfer window.

-"I am not a quitter, but obviously, if something great comes up then I have to make a decision. Never say never."
He couldn't have picked a worse season as a striker to try and brake into the team or call it quits, I guess we can already say our goodbyes

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Fair enough attitude. Van Persie, Rooney, Kagawa, Welbeck, Hernandez and Macheda are already competing for two places a lot of the time, and even in the reserves he'll have Keane and Henriquez to contend with at some point.

Still find it annoying that we couldn't afford him the time we gave to Macheda. Even a good portion of our youngsters have had hurrendous luck with injuries, it's ridiculous.

yamo123x

King is much better than Macheda in my opinion and with the time given to
Macheda would already be in first team squad. Hope we stick with him. but for some reason fergie sees something in Macheda I don't.

Ludens the Red

He couldn't score goals at Preston or Hull.........

lysglimt

Scout
He is overrated (and I am Norwegian) - yes he is lightning quick but he is not very technical, he is not a great goalscorer and he seems to lose composure when in goalscoring opportunities

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He is overrated (and I am Norwegian) - yes he is lightning quick but he is not very technical, he is not a great goalscorer and he seems to lose composure when in goalscoring opportunities
He isn't that good at all. He has some great raw materials, namely his pace and physique but for me he lacks footballing intelligence. The were a few occasions last night when Paddy was exasperated with some of the elementary mistakes that he was making. I think people see his insane speed and assume that he must be a great player.

MPTutd

Official site says that he has received his first call up for the full Norway team for the first time. Eikrem is also included.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He isn't that good at all. He has some great raw materials, namely his pace and physique but for me he lacks footballing intelligence. The were a few occasions last night when Paddy was exasperated with some of the elementary mistakes that he was making. I think people see his insane speed and assume that he must be a great player.
I think most people that have seen a fair bit of him know what he is capable of and won't judge him on recent performances.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Joshua King gets his first call-up to the national team.
http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/09/03/sport/fotball/landslaget/joshua_king/23229603/

Joshua King received his call-up to Norwegian national team for the first time this morning. He's now in the squad who will face Iceland and Slovenia in the WC-qualifier.

King got the message this morning when driving to Carrington, the Manchester United training ground. First he got a call from his agent Jim Solbakken, quickly followed by a phone from Ola By Rise, the Norwegian national assistant coach.

-"Obviously I was thrilled! This is a huge deal for me. Every Norwegian footballer is always working towards something like this" is Kings first reaction to the call from Egil Olsen.

What do you bring to the table for the national team?

-"I'm first and foremost an attacking minded player. I'm always going forward, and I never look back. I've become more patient, and I feel I've become an even better player in the final third. I try to keep things simple right now."

Some of the criticism towards you have been that you're not clinical enough in front of goal. Do you feel you've become more of a goal threat?

-"It's all about confidence. Just take a look at Torres. He feels better, and has gotten a few goals. I just have to build up my confidence again, and it's something I feel makes the difference between a world class striker and a regular one. I feel better and better, and if Egil (Olsen) wants me in the starting lineup, then I'll be ready."

National head coach Egil Olsen described King as someone with a player with extreme qualites like pace, which was something he felt the team has been lacking.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Just about right...here are his stats...

Academy - 15 goals in 29 games
Reserves - 11 goals in 28 games
First team - 2 goals in 32 games

So a goal every other game in juniors...started to find in tougher to score at Reserve level...and when stepping up to first team has yet to show any indication that he can score goals at that level.

I like his running, work rate, pace and general attitude but he can't score goals.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
To be fair, he played in a wide position in several of them games, certainly at reserve and first team level, and, if memory serves, early in his academy career too. But he def needs to work on his finishing. It'll be very interesting to see how he does for Norway. This must be the first time Drillo has picked a player of such limited experience in over a decade as Norway boss so he obviously rates him very, very highly. And Drillo knows his onions.

Striker10

Stats aren't always a fair representation of a player. Kiko's wouldn't be great either....but apparently his biggest strength is his finishing. I think the injuries haven't helped but again, sometimes loan moves don't work out. That's how it is. People try to bring logic into things but I remember Shearer having a lean spell for England prior to Euro 96 and then what happens? He produces when it matters...

Yes he has to improve his finishing but he also needs to regain his confidence and belief he will be given an opportunity.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Stats aren't always a fair representation of a player. Kiko's wouldn't be great either...
Well, Macheda isn't a very good striker either. His finishing might be decent but he doesn't have enough to his game to find himself in a position to finish too often, that's why he won't be scoring many either.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Welbeck didn't always do great on loan either....Rossi didn't at newcastle. It ain't that simple..
Welbeck did very well on loan, Rossi wasn't given a chance at Newcastle but as soon as Parma gave him time he excelled. You're overrating plenty of our youth.

Heffo

Welbeck did very well on loan, Rossi wasn't given a chance at Newcastle but as soon as Parma gave him time he excelled. You're overrating plenty of our youth.
Welbeck did poorly at Preston after a good start there. Then he went up a level and did well when he got a chance at Sunderland. Fans of Preston actually seemed to prefer King to Welbeck and he arguably did better there. Then unfortunately for him he went to a club that ended up performing far better then they were expected to which meant he couldn't get into the team.

I've never rated King as highly as Welbeck, but I'd still like to see him out on loan again to see how he does.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I used to think that he'd be a better winger than a foward, due to his erratic finishing up front. His pace would be fantastic on the wing, and he really can put on a deadly ball in at times. I hope he finds a decent loan somewhere.

Striker10

I don't think he did that well in his early days on loan. Rossi wasn't deemed good enough. I don't really care if you think i'm 'overrating out kids'. Gary Neville said, they were a great group too. These are all opinions. You can be a great talent and not make it here. There are lots of reasons why some players don't make it.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

I don't think he did that well in his early days on loan. Rossi wasn't deemed good enough. I don't really care if you think i'm 'overrating out kids'. Gary Neville said, they were a great group too. These are all opinions. You can be a great talent and not make it here. There are lots of reasons why some players don't make it.
Rossi averaged a goal a game at reserve level and was the best player that I have ever seen in a United shirt at that level. King has never shown anywhere near the kind of upside that Rossi did. I don't feel that your comparison is valid.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
I like king as a player and was at one time convinced he would make it here. As time goes by it seems less likely but I hope he makes it somewhere. His name is immense also

Jimy_Hills_Chin

I like king as a player and was at one time convinced he would make it here. As time goes by it seems less likely but I hope he makes it somewhere. His name is immense also
When I first saw him, when he was 17 I think, he looked very interesting. I just don't feel that he has really progressed very much at all, he is still that same raw player.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
When I first saw him, when he was 17 I think, he looked very interesting. I just don't feel that he has really progressed very much at all, he is still that same raw player.
I think a lot has to do with injuries and not really getting the playing time he needs. He has a lot of raw quality but may take another couple of years to enhance his technical ability, by which time he could be long gone. I wouldnt be suprised to see him make a decent prem standard player in the future

Red Norse

You never know, Carew had a decent career.

Noggie management has been encouraging him to jump ship, apparently he needs better matching.

davisjw

Rossi averaged a goal a game at reserve level and was the best player that I have ever seen in a United shirt at that level. King has never shown anywhere near the kind of upside that Rossi did. I don't feel that your comparison is valid.
The one that got away... for club and country :nervous:

Jimy_Hills_Chin

The one that got away... for club and country :nervous:
Aye. In many ways he has been a nearly man; never got a chance to prove himself in United's first team and missed out on a big move to Barcelona last summer. It looks like his injuries mean that he may never make that big move. He has the talent no question, things have just conspired against him, in one way and another.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Iceland - Norway, Dagbladet:

According to the Norwegian national team's captain, Brede Hangeland (Fulham), King was one of few highlights of the match yesterday. Hangeland in particular praised King's lack of respect for the opposition when he came on with 25 minutes left.

I wasn't able to see the last 30 minutes of the match but King had one goal disallowed because a fellow player was lurking in offside, he hit the crossbar once, and was alone with the goalkeeper without succeeding.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Think it was the only three times he touched the ball as well. Didn't notice it was him that scored. The crossbar shot came out of nowhere. Defense didn't expect a shot. Missed Norway's only chance in the game. Considering his team he did alright. Was nothing special though.

Laphroaig

"Nothing special", maybe, but still the most threatening player in the match, despite only playing a third of it. It was a very poor match in fairness.

Eriku

"Nothing special", maybe, but still the most threatening player in the match, despite only playing a third of it. It was a very poor match in fairness.
That it was... dreadful. And the bastard producers didn't even bother to replay the highlight, that shot to the crossbar was an absolute peach!

And I agree, all things considered, King had a solid cameo.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That it was... dreadful. And the bastard producers didn't even bother to replay the highlight, that shot to the crossbar was an absolute peach!

And I agree, all things considered, King had a solid cameo.
Some of my mates were working at that production and said it was a total mess. Can't say why that was. So it may not have been down to the producers.

Eriku

Some of my mates were working at that production and said it was a total mess. Can't say why that was. So it may not have been down to the producers.
Fair dues... mainly said it to emphasise how much King's shot surprised me :)

Consider your mates exculpated.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He was good which came as no surprise. He's had an injury-free period for the first time in years, including a full pre-season. The last time that happened he made his debut for the first team. It'll be interesting to see where he is in a few months time if he stays fit.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Does everyone in Iceland basically know each other?