Joshua King / signs for Watford

Rossa

King would be cover - and he can capably cover right, left and centre. Will give his all for the club similarly to Ighalo. Reckon we could get him for about 17.5.

I loved him when he was in the academy. There were times he was reminding me of a poor man’s R9, I really thought he’d go on to be a top player. He obviously wasn’t the highest bracket, and had injuries - but he’s a solid PL forward I think, and a red.
You must be about the most specific man in the world.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When will people realize that he is not a number 9? He literally plays on the left. That's his best position.
What are you talking about he plays upfront for RBL, but they usually play a or a 3-5-2.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Consider Ole's recent comments that he would "rather have a hole in the squad than an asshole in the squad". This speaks volumes to the importance of mentality and mindset in signings, something which Ferguson was also very vocal about.

With that in mind, I think King hast he right mentality to be at United, and would do a job for us.

roseguy64

I've said it in a previous reply, with Bruno and Pogba behind him and a proper right winger for balance he'll be more than capable to play as a striker.
Doubtful. He's much better on the wing anyway. Waste playing him upfront.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Big teams should never sign players with the sole purpose of being squad players. It rarely works out and often sees a drop in performance the next season. Players places need to be challenged in a competitive environment.

United should be looking to sign a striker that will start and compete with the options already available.

King comes off the bench for Bournemouth. It’s another Steve Sidwell, Tal Ben Haim, Scott Sinclair type signing.

Don’t make signings to buff out the squad. Make signings to start and let the young players like Greenwood coming through take those squad places.

el3mel

Seems he'll be the replacement for Ighalo because we won't be able to keep him.

Ekeke

He's a pretty good player, I bet if he wasnt an ex-United player who we didnt want to keep and instead came through PSG's academy or something he'd be rated higher.

The right kind of striker with a bit of physical power to take over from Igahlo and he's scored over 10 goals in the premier league twice, so he's set for a chance to score more at a better club than Bournemouth at 28 years old. He'd be a rotation player who wouldnt get in the way of our longterm options such as Greenwood or Martial through the middle or whoever else we see as our main striker in 3 years time.

Maluco

No, he doesn’t.

This information is all readily available online. How is it possible to be so wrong?
Apologies, starts games and occasionally comes off the bench for Bournemouth. He isn’t their star player, doesn’t have a particularly good strike rate, isn’t going to improve as a player and offers nothing that isn’t already in the squad.

The argument doesn’t change because he has started for a terrible Bournemouth more consistently in the last 18 months. I like him as a mid-table player. He is strong, quick and does well at that level, but he isn’t a Manchester United player.

Ekeke

He’s the right sort of profile for the top six teams so it kind of makes sense — he’s a little bit on the older side, he’s already played almost all his career in England, and he’s most likely willing to take a squad player role.

Still... he’s having quite the stinker of a season stat-wise — 4 goals in 19 appearances...

I’d imagine how concrete club’s interest is in King is dependent on how sensible Bournemouth put the price up at.
7 games as a striker with 1 goal in those. He's mostly played a supporting role off the wing/sides or a bit deeper than the striker due to Bournemouth struggling to attack in general

Ekeke

Apologies, starts games and occasionally comes off the bench for Bournemouth. He isn’t their star player, doesn’t have a particularly good strike rate, isn’t going to improve as a player and offers nothing that isn’t already in he squad.

The argument doesn’t change because he has started for a terrible Bournemouth more consistently in the last 18 months.
He obviously does offer something the squad dont have else he would never have been a target :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maluco

He obviously does offer something the squad dont have else he would never have been a target :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only thing he offers is that he is Norwegian and Ole likes him. Paying £20 - 25 million for him would be stupid when the jury is out on Martial being the main man.

It’s the kind of signing that lowers standards and then we have separate threads wondering why we can’t get a run of wins together.

To get consistency, you need quality. Filling serious gaps with squad players won’t get us any closer to the top teams in the division.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Yet another right-footed fast forward who is natural coming in from the left.

We already have two top-class ones in martial and rashford. Pogba can nicely cover that spot if needed, probably bruno can at a stretch, even for lingard it's his best position. James is probably better on the left too. What we desparately need is a left-footer on the other side. This only makes sense as a ighalo replacement, but even then it should be something different.

pascell

He's a pretty good player, I bet if he wasnt an ex-United player who we didnt want to keep and instead came through PSG's academy or something he'd be rated higher.

The right kind of striker with a bit of physical power to take over from Igahlo and he's scored over 10 goals in the premier league twice, so he's set for a chance to score more at a better club than Bournemouth at 28 years old. He'd be a rotation player who wouldnt get in the way of our longterm options such as Greenwood or Martial through the middle or whoever else we see as our main striker in 3 years time.
Tidy finisher with both feet, he's also scored a few against us, can play with his back to goal or on the counter. Can see why we're interested, he'd definitely be pushing Martial to maintain good form, nothing wrong with competition either, some of our players have too easy of a ride. Plus the seasons are long, he'd get enough game time and would be a good asset, for the right price.

Wasn't he quite high in the scoring charts in January when we were heavily linked with him?

Ekeke

The only thing he offers is that he is Norwegian and Ole likes him. Paying £20 - 25 million for him would be stupid when the jury is out on Martial being the main man.

It’s the kind of signing that lowers standards and then we have separate threads wondering why we can’t get a run of wins together.

To get consistency, you need quality. Filling serious gaps with squad players won’t get us any closer to the top teams in the division.
Igahlo is not staying

King would be our physically strongest striker and the one who scores the most goals from being in the right area in the box.

Greenwood has done great with his goals coming in from the right and scoring from range, one of the most deadly players in that scenario. Rashford likes to play on the left and wants to shoot with power from range. Martial wants the ball at his feet so he can dribble and finish. King is fine with being in the middle for someone else to give him an easy chance, something Martial has lacked with his movement and desire.

Its a very traditional and basic thing to desire but its something our current striker isnt very good at. So we'd be best off with someone who can do that when he plays

el3mel

Only problem regarding this for me is it seems we are ready to bet next season on Martial as our main striker with no good replacements, and Martial doesn't have a good record with injuries. Would have preferred if we get a striker that can compete with Martial for the starting position, to keep him on his toes and help the team in general when form drops or injuries happen, but it's alright. It's the manager's choice I guess and we can only evaluate it when we see the end results by ourselves.

Gasolin

I never paid attention to him to be fair, but I like the video, it looks like he's good at tracking the ball during set pieces for second balls, and shoot. He might give us extra goals while resting someone (Greenwood or Martial or potentially Sancho). Maybe he will help Martial to rotate? He seems physical too so that will help us finish off games when we need to calm down the game.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yet another right-footed fast forward who is natural coming in from the left.

We already have two top-class ones in martial and rashford. Pogba can nicely cover that spot if needed, probably bruno can at a stretch, even for lingard it's his best position. James is probably better on the left too. What we desparately need is a left-footer on the other side. This only makes sense as a ighalo replacement, but even then it should be something different.
Exactly. We need left footed players, if Sancho is going to be our RW then a left footed striker is probably the best target to even things out. If Sancho doesnt come here then we desperately need a left footed RW in my opinion. We are heavily lopsided in attacks.

Greenwood is the only left footed player we have and we cant rely on just him completely - atleast without knowing theres plans coming up in a close transfer window.

No hate towards Daniel James but if Sancho comes then that's too many right footed players who are probably better on the left & he'd not be better than Rashford, Sancho and Martial (never mind players like Grealish who may join us capable of covering LW aswell).

Chong is left footed but I've hardly seen him ability to cut in from the right channel and he seems better in the left wing too.

Maluco

Igahlo is not staying

King would be our physically strongest striker and the one who scores the most goals from being in the right area in the box.

Greenwood has done great with his goals coming in from the right and scoring from range, one of the most deadly players in that scenario. Rashford likes to play on the left and wants to shoot with power from range. Martial wants the ball at his feet so he can dribble and finish. King is fine with being in the middle for someone else to give him an easy chance, something Martial has lacked with his movement and desire.

Its a very traditional and basic thing to desire but its something our current striker isnt very good at. So we'd be best off with someone who can do that when he plays
I am glad Ighalo is not staying. I don’t think he is the right profile of player either and only ever imagined him as coming in until the end of the season.

We need a proper striker and to let Martial rotate with that striker and Rashford on the left. What we don’t need is yet another player who comes off the left and isn’t of the required quality to be in the first team.

I am not arguing that we dont need a striker, because we definitely do. I am arguing that a) We need a proper first team number 9. b) Josh King isn’t the required quality to play for Manchester United. c). He isn’t even the correct profile of player to be coming in as a number 9 when he is 28 years old and it isn’t his best position traditionally.

We need to be looking at someone who can come in and be our new number 9. A natural goalscorer at this level who can challenge to be the man here.

Ekeke

I am glad Ighalo is not staying. I don’t think he is the right profile of player either and only ever imagined him as coming in until the end of the season.

We need a proper striker and to let Martial rotate with that striker and Rashford on the left. What we don’t need is yet another player who comes off the left and isn’t of the required quality to be in the first team.

I am not arguing that we dont need a striker, because we definitely do. I am arguing that a) We need a proper first team number 9. b) Josh King isn’t the required quality to play for Manchester United. c). He isn’t even the correct profile of player to be coming in as a number 9 when he is 28 years old and it isn’t his best position traditionally.

We need to be looking at someone who can come in and be our new number 9. A natural goalscorer at this level who can challenge to be the man here.
I think targeting players like King and Igahlo suggests we're either not spending a lot or we're spending a lot on other areas of the team so we're going for a short term option up front while Martial and Greenwood improve through the middle and will take over.

Obviously its unrealistic to spend huge amounts on every position and different people would suggest we need to invest in different areas

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A 28 year old who relies on pace and he's not really a great top scorer isn't exactly what he need. I'd rather see us sign some cheap talent from SA or someone like Edouard. This sound a job for the boys just as Moyes/LVG/Mou did with Fellaini/Bastian/Matic. They don't usually end up well for us.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
A 28 year old who relies on pace and he's not really a great top scorer isn't exactly what he need. I'd rather see us sign some cheap talent from SA or someone like Edouard. This sound a job for the boys just as Moyes/LVG/Mou did with Fellaini/Bastian/Matic. They don't usually end up well for us.
In hindsight, I would have taken Vardy five years ago.

Interval

Level
If we pay anything more than 15mn for a player like King with businesses likely to get destroyed with post virus slowdown, we'd be mugs. Again.

Clubs like ours are going to have massive cash flow crunch if and when the economy moves into a recession. Subscription revs and therefore TV deals, sponsorship revs and commercial revs and match day revs will be significantly lower. It's not a time to be overpaying for anyone

devilish

If we pay anything more than 15mn for a player like King with businesses likely to get destroyed with post virus slowdown, we'd be mugs. Again.

Clubs like ours are going to have massive cash flow crunch if and when the economy moves into a recession. Subscription revs and therefore TV deals, sponsorship revs and commercial revs and match day revs will be significantly lower. It's not a time to be overpaying for anyone
I think we should stop signing players who are in decline unless of course we need a short term fix and the player in question is on free (a Larsson/Owen/Ibra type of signing). Once fees are involved then we should go on quality or at least potential.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why?! We've already got Ighalo as our 'decent' beckup Cf. Would prefer someone a bit more exciting with room for development than King.

Bondi77

We will get him in the summer and I think he has only one year left on his contract.
It would not surprise me in the least if he outperforms Martial As they are similar type players, Martial is the more skilful but King seems more direct.
I am a Martial fan and he is definitely getting better and maybe having the pressure of King on the bench we will see less of the indifferent displays that Anthony can be guilty of putting in every now and then.

devilish

Not quite the point. (And I’m not sure you would have said that five years ago.)
It is the point. I wouldn't have said no to a 30 year Ronaldo. However I would probably say no to a 30 year old Heskey

stu_1992

I'd rather Ighalo (at the right price) or from the players we're linked with, Ben Yedder would be a better shout than King. I suppose king would be relatively inexpensive but we could surely do better for similar money even still.

UpWithRivers

We will get him in the summer and I think he has only one year left on his contract.
It would not surprise me in the least if he outperforms Martial As they are similar type players, Martial is the more skilful but King seems more direct.
I am a Martial fan and he is definitely getting better and maybe having the pressure of King on the bench we will see less of the indifferent displays that Anthony can be guilty of putting in every now and then.
If King is the same level as Martial then Im going to quit football and sign myself in for therapy.

Dan_F

For a club so keen to promote youth, it doesn’t seem smart to take game time away from its best youth prospect in years. We’ve already played Greenwood mainly out of position this year.

King doesn’t even play at 9 for Bournemouth does he?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Yes as he's an exceptional case.
I agree that Vardy is exceptional in many ways. But there is plenty of examples of players that rely on speed that dont decline much between the age of 28 and 33.

I also think there is several examples of strikers who actually have their peak years between 28 and 33. Being a striker is a brains game too, and if they take care of themself it is not that surprising.

Vardy is just a funny example since very few would have rated him at all at 28, the exact same age as King today. In fact, he had probably done a lot less than King at that age.

izec

He is like a Rashford/Martisl type, just more physical and direct. I prefer a proper 9, someone that plays there all the time and knows how to play alone up top if needed

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But there is plenty of examples of players that rely on speed that dont decline much between the age of 28 and 33..
Yes but lesser so when they move to a much higher level at the age of 28. Also depends on what level you're starting off from. Not declining from bang average isn't of much use to us.