Joshua King / signs for Watford

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Strategic vision is bollocks. Woodward is as reactionary and as clueless as ever. He won't have a clue about the footballing ability of King, Ighalo or any of them. Absolute whopper.

Houdini

50M for King. It' a really bad joke unless we are talking about Pelé.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
More poor organising from the club. Woodward will probably have more visitors in the near future.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Got to wonder if this is with an eye to moving Martial on in the summer and bringing in a first choice then with King as backup? But then I've also got to wonder if our upper management even think like that.

TheReligion

Abusive
Got to wonder if this is with an eye to moving Martial on in the summer and bringing in a first choice then with King as backup? But then I've also got to wonder if our upper management even think like that.
I'm not sure why this would have any impact on Martial? The club wants an interchangeable front set and I see him fitting into this.

TheReligion

Abusive
Strategic vision is bollocks. Woodward is as reactionary and as clueless as ever. He won't have a clue about the footballing ability of King, Ighalo or any of them. Absolute whopper.
Do you really think it's Woodward plucking names from Champ Man and putting maverick bids in?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm not sure why this would have any impact on Martial? The club wants an interchangeable front set and I see him fitting into this.
Well I think a lot of people want someone a level above Martial as our number one striker, at least in terms of consistency, and I doubt there'd be room for three strikers.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Clever old Ed knows he's in a strong bargaining position here with hours to go in the window, Rashford injured long term and, no doubt, a host of other well-planned out options

Walters_19_MuFc

I'm all for this, and although we've apparently 'cooled' interest, there could still be something in this.

He's a player who, although not top class, would be a very good rotational player, in my opinion. He can also play as a left winger (cover for Rashford), up top and as a second striker.

He's not prolific, but he's a constant menace. Someone who, everytime I see him play, looks dangerous. He's also fantastic off the ball.

Walters_19_MuFc

The type of signing Liverpool would regularly make during their 30-year hiatus.
People said the same when they bought Mane, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Robertson, etc. This is not to say King would be as successful as those, but if the player suits our style then we should buy him.

What we've done over the last few years is try and buy 'top' players for the sake of it. Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez, Lukaku, etc. Hasn't worked!

edgar allan

People said the same when they bought Mane, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Robertson, etc. This is not to say King would be as successful as those, but if the player suits our style then we should buy him.

What we've done over the last few years is try and buy 'top' players for the sake of it. Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez, Lukaku, etc. Hasn't worked!
We have also bought Darmain, Blind, Rojo, Baily etc and that hasn't worked either, when you are starving everything looks tasty.

Roboc7

Loan signing would have been worth a punt, permanent deal wouldn’t make any sense unless it was for a low price.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If this goes through and it’s a big if at the moment, you’re buying him as a back up striker, so blooding Gomes there won’t work.

I don’t get what everyone’s so up in arms about, you’ve offered a really low bid, he’s a united academy graduate and Ole knows him well as a player and a person. He’s an emergency buy, you need an emergency buy and given that Chelsea, Barca and goodness knows who else are all scrapping around for a striker, if you get him cheap you’ll have done well.
The fact that we're paying 30M for a Manchester United reject.

Sorry, no disrespect to King, but this throws the "players that fits our characters cliche" to the bin.

He'll be nothing more than deadwoods next year.

Andersonson

:lol::lol::lol:

Joshua King

437m per goal
1310m played
3Goals scored
2 Assists

Anthony Martial

168m per goal
2015m played
12Goals scored
5 Assists
And the last two years?

King scored 16 and Martial 8?

And this season King is LW and Martial striker...As a LW King outscores Martial.

Put whole stats when making and argument, not only partial....

He'sRaldo

And the last two years?

King scored 16 and Martial 8?

And this season King is LW and Martial striker...As a LW King outscores Martial.

Put whole stats when making and argument, not only partial....
Even then, if he were to come he would probably play alongside Martial till Rashford is fully fit again. So they would help each other more so than compete. More goals overall.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d much rather us sign mertens, his contract is up in the summer so wouldn’t cost that much and would be a short term option.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

I’d say King is much more of a known entity at this stage in his career than those you’ve mentioned. Although I agree with your second paragraph.

0le

Woodward isn't the person selecting these targets though.

hobbers

What an awful signing this would have been. Signing Bournemouth's second best striker on deadline day on a permanent deal :lol:

King is not a very good striker. United reject for a very good reason. Had this gone through it would have been a case of Ole signing instant-deadwood based on desperation, lack of planning and nationality-blinkers.

Talk about the smashing of expectations and ambitions and unfathomable stupidity, when you go from Haaland at the start of the window to Josh King hours before then end, for probably double the fee. Shambles.

And no, you can't blame this purely on Woodward. Any clowns who disagree: do you think it's a coincidence we've only made actual approaches for two Norweigan strikers?

mu4c_20le

Why? Is it because they're black. Surely he's seen both of them in the league in the last few years

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Why leave it so late ?
What better way to us trending on social media so Ed can boast to commercial partners and the shareholders?

Winning's too complicated, all you need is sheer desperation in the transfer window and you've got your fans hooked.

What an awful signing this would have been. Signing Bournemouth's second best striker on deadline day on a permanent deal :lol:

King is not a very good striker. United reject for a very good reason. Had this gone through it would have been a case of Ole signing instant-deadwood based on desperation, lack of planning and nationality-blinkers.

Talk about the smashing of expectations and ambitions and unfathomable stupidity, when you go from Haaland at the start of the window to Josh King hours before then end, for probably double the fee. Shambles.

And no, you can't blame this purely on Woodward. Any clowns who disagree: do you think it's a coincidence we've only made actual approaches for two Norweigan strikers?
This is why I've said managers should never have full control. Give them too much power and they'll find a way to ruin things. Woodward never seems to learn his lesson in this sense.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If Ole sanctions this, he should have no complain when he got the sack.

Joshua King, 30M, deary me.

Meanwhile, Dortmund paid 30M for Halaand, gets a fecking fine players to play for 2-3 years, and pocket a nice 60M release clause in 3 years.

I'm wrong about ed, he is a fecking tool

Andersonson

Even then, if he were to come he would probably play alongside Martial till Rashford is fully fit again. So they would help each other more so than compete. More goals overall.
For sure. Having King as a backup for Martial or Rashford aint bad.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If Ole sanctions this, he should have no complain when he got the sack.

Joshua King, 30M, deary me.

Meanwhile, Dortmund paid 30M for Halaand, gets a fecking fine players to play for 2-3 years, and pocket a nice 60M release clause in 3 years.

I'm wrong about ed, he is a fecking tool
Would be straight out of the door on a cut price deal or loan if Pochettino was to take over

mu4c_20le

Yeah some people seem to want us to be more like Leeds. Splash out on expensive overpaid ballers in hope of pushing us into CL qualification. If we apponted another free spending manager after Jose instead of Ole, that's where we would be.

Nick7

He’s a “United reject” because of injuries to be fair to him

Chairman Steve

I wish he was able to play right side forward as well as what he already has then I’d have been happy to lodge a bid (£30m max) for him and see what happens. He’d have incredible versatility, he’s a former Utd youth product, he brings experience to a young frontline and I think he’d be content with not starting every match. I think he would be a decent rotation option for a title winning team.

But hes yet another left side forward who gets into striker positions and Bournemouth want £50m, so not really.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Origi as a 19 year old from Birmingham, not actually intended to be a squad player either, and Shaqiri from a relegated Stoke with a fixed price.

They also signed Naby Keita for about £60m who is no more than a squad player.
Origi was signed as a promising youth player from Lille at age 18 for £10m. Not as a squad player.

Shaqiri was signed for his release clause of a paltry £13m from Stoke. As a squad player.

Naby Keita was signed as a first team player for £60m. Not as a squad player.

Josh King for the rumoured fee would be silly due to the high cost for a average to above average performer imo.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Origi was signed as a promising youth player from Lille at age 18 for £10m. Not as a squad player.

Shaqiri was signed for his release clause of a paltry £13m from Stoke. As a squad player.

Naby Keita was signed as a first team player for £60m. Not as a squad player.

Josh King for the rumoured fee would be silly due to the high cost for a average to above average performer imo.
So basically, the circumstances are all different. The prices for Origi and Shaqiri are no more a metric we need to be using than the price for Keita.

Personally, I can’t think of many rotation options that would be much better than King, unless they are super talented kids or oldies who may or may not still have it. I think he’s the right profile, minus his worrying injury record admittedly.