Joshua King / signs for Watford

Acole9

Outstanding
Ole made a promise to the boy, Kingy will be here in the summer.

Devil81

I'd imagine we'd get him in the summer as his contract is in its last year and Bournmouth will need to recoup some money on him. They are already losing Fraser for nothing they can't afford to lose anyone else for nothing.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Ornstein is saying King is 'disappointed and feels messed about by United' because we didn't follow up with a third bid. The guy is seriously deluded if he thinks he's worth the asking price with his injury record and 16 months left on the contract. Not to mention he's a 1 in 3 striker. Blame your own club for jeopardising your dream move sunshine.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Ornstein is saying King is 'disappointed and feels messed about by United' because we didn't follow up with a third bid. The guy is seriously deluded if he thinks he's worth the asking price with his injury record and 16 months left on the contract. Not to mention he's a 1 in 3 striker. Blame your own club for jeopardising your dream move sunshine.
I think he's probably just disappointed the move didn't materialise...understandable but he's kidding himself if he thinks United should spend serious money on him

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't think it's necessarily true or if he did say something, I imagine it's all in the heat of the moment.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah he has 18 months left on contract, so don't think it would make sense from ManUtd point of view to spend big money on not so good player.

Apparently we asked about Fraser too and Bournemouth wanted 15 million and he has 6 months left on contract.

The Original

It's not the player's place to question the figures quoted for him. What must be getting to him is the fact that someone from utd probably spoke to him and got him feeling like a move was probable, giving the impression of an incoming third bid only for it to come out that utd had been speaking to Ighalo the whole time. That's not fair.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Should be astounded and flattered that we even asked the question in the first place!

Sylar

It's not the player's place to question the figures quoted for him. What must be getting to him is the fact that someone from utd probably spoke to him and got him feeling like a move was probable, giving the impression of an incoming third bid only for it to come out that utd had been speaking to Ighalo the whole time. That's not fair.
Surely King would / should know that, clubs dont only talk to one person about coming (and normally have a few targets).
I can understand him being disappointed but the 'feels messed about' part (if true) is ridiculous.

His club set a price, fair enough. Thats how much Bournemouth valued him. However United didnt value him at that price and Ighalo is better value on what we got him for vs what we would have had to do to get King.

Zhagzi

Dream move? You know he was a United prospect for many years right? If it is a dream, it's definitely one he's already been in and was deemed not good enough.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I tend to agree, I think he could surprise a few people and be a very decent signing for us, offering something different...
I could understand King being a target in January, but if he is seriously a top target for the Summer, that's a bit of a concern, surely we should be aiming a bit higher in our requirements.... :rolleyes:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am glad we didn't go for him. He's quite frankly nowhere near to Man United level. Next summer there will be more options to look at. Norwich and probably West Ham will be relegated which will release Pukki and Haller on the cheap while Edouard of Celtic will be available as well. They will come on the 'cheap' and are far better then King

Last edited:

flappyjay

I am not endorsing his signing but where does this idea that he is injury prone come from?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I could understand King being a target in January, but if he is seriously a top target for the Summer, that's a bit of a concern, surely we should be aiming a bit higher in our requirements.... :rolleyes:
You quoted yourself there.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am glad we didn't go for him. He's injury prone and quite frankly he's nowhere near to Man United level. Next summer there will be more options to look at. Norwich and probably West Ham will be relegated which will release Pukki and Haller. Edouard of Celtic will be available as well.

TsuWave

Think he would be better on a permanent deal than Ighalo, provided the fee isn't ridiculous

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
I think he would be a good back up for our squad. Can play all the positions up front, knows the league, knows the club and the coach.

I don’t see any problem getting him if Ighalo is too expensive.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Should've got him while we could, now he'll go to Liverpool and score 15-20 in the league. Oh dear, Woody drops the ball again. *tuts* *shakes head*

luke511

Zero need for this transfer. We have Martial, Rashford and Greenwood.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That's not enough, injuries happen. I'd like to hang on to Ighalo myself, but I'd be very hyped to see yet a fellow Norwegian at the club.

I've said a few times over the past year that I see King as a potential Manchester United squad signing. The stunt prior to the transfer window end came a a bit of surprise, but I fully believe that with the right team he's good for 10-15 on the season as a backup/occasional starter

-Supreme-

He represents value for money, should be available for around £15m given his contract runs out next year.

He''d be a decent cover for Martial and good short term solution until we get Haaland in 2 years (wishful thinking)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Unless we don't compete in 1 of the 3 cups then it's not enough as we'd be down to just 2. Consider that we also play with two of those at the same time in most match. A player like Igalho who is happy to sit on the bench and come on for 15 minutes at the end of game helps players like Martial to not overdo it and players like Greenwood to not be pressured into being the main man at such a young age.

luke511

Unless we don't compete in 1 of the 3 cups then it's not enough as we'd be down to just 2. Consider that we also play with two of those at the same time in most match. A player like Igalho who is happy to sit on the bench and come on for 15 minutes at the end of game helps players like Martial to not overdo it and players like Greenwood to not be pressured into being the main man at such a young age.
That's not enough, injuries happen. I'd like to hang on to Ighalo myself, but I'd be very hyped to see yet a fellow Norwegian at the club.

I've said a few times over the past year that I see King as a potential Manchester United squad signing. The stunt prior to the transfer window end came a a bit of surprise, but I fully believe that with the right team he's good for 10-15 on the season as a backup/occasional starter
Ighalo has been excellent, but he's a better player than King is, and he was filling in for Rashford whilst he was injured. We also have to start focusing on Greenwood as a CF as well as he starts to physically grow into the role, he has potential to be the one of the best strikers on the planet. 3 strikers is fine, especially in these circumstances.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s the right sort of profile for the top six teams so it kind of makes sense — he’s a little bit on the older side, he’s already played almost all his career in England, and he’s most likely willing to take a squad player role.

Still... he’s having quite the stinker of a season stat-wise — 4 goals in 19 appearances...

I’d imagine how concrete club’s interest is in King is dependent on how sensible Bournemouth put the price up at.