Josip Juranović

JB7

The guy played in Polish Ekstraklasa 2-3 years ago.
That alone should be enough to write him off.
Agreed. Still glad we didn't move for Lewandowski and let him fail at Dortmund instead.

Abraxas

Who cares where he played 2 years ago. It's what he's doing for Celtic and Croatia that's more relevant. You can't write everyone off that has an atypical progression.

If we're addressing RB this summer (which IMO is not the highest priority, we could muddle through with Dalot and Laird), it's going to take an offbeat signing. You can't expect the funds to be there for midfield, striker, winger, it's not going to be the biggest priority position. Which is partly why I would be disinclined to do it, but if ETH thinks different then it will be a signing like this.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Agreed. Still glad we didn't move for Lewandowski and let him fail at Dortmund instead.
Yeah Lewandowski was tearing this league apart and looked like a great talent.

Juranovic was like an above average full back in Poland.

Abraxas

Lewandowski is the best Polish player...like ever.

Name another 10 players who exceled in Poland, moved abroad and had decent careers.
You can exclude GK as for some reason we produce tons of good goalkeepers.
Why bang on about the Polish league anyway?

He played most of his career for Hadjuk Split who are not a shite club. I'm pretty sure Croatia has produced a player or two over the years.

Seems a bit weird that Poland for a seasons worth of games is the big reference point, not the rest of his entire career, his Celtic career or international career.

Varun1

Our RBs are shite, Semedo is bad, this bloke is crap and so on. Who do people actually want? Trent? Cancelo?
Someone who is much better than Dalot or AWB, or has the potential to be much better, even if said player is Laird.

The way I like to see it is, if Dalot is a 5/10, we don't want a 6/10 player who would cost £15m+, whereas an 8/10 (or with that potential) would cost £25m+. Why would we go for someone who offers little more than Dalot and won't really change the game for us!

JB7

Lewandowski is the best Polish player...like ever.

Name another 10 players who exceled in Poland, moved abroad and had decent careers.
You can exclude GK as for some reason we produce tons of good goalkeepers.
Yeah Lewandowski was tearing this league apart and looked like a great talent.

Juranovic was like an above average full back in Poland.
I figured it was pretty clear I was being sarcastic, but seemingly not.

From the relatively limited amount I've seen of him he ticks a lot of boxes in what Ten Hag wants from a right back, he keeps the ball well, he gets forward to support the wingers and he wins the ball higher up the pitch than we are used to.

He's not a superstar and is never going to be, but he does at least appear to fit what we want to do more than either of our current right backs - and given it was well reported earlier in the summer that we had fielded enquiries for Dalot, he could well be one of the easier players to move on for a reasonable fee.

poleglass red

Someone who is much better than Dalot or AWB, or has the potential to be much better, even if said player is Laird.

The way I like to see it is, if Dalot is a 5/10, we don't want a 6/10 player who would cost £15m+, whereas an 8/10 (or with that potential) would cost £25m+. Why would we go for someone who offers little more than Dalot and won't really change the game for us!
In a nutshell that is what we have done wrong in recent seasons. Buying players who we think are good not based on how they fit into our style of play. Lindelof, Pogba, AWB, Miki- all good players but didn't fit in with how we wanted to play. ETH wants to play out from the back, Dalot isn't comfortable on the ball or with being pressed. Going forward he's not great either, and defensively he's poor. This lad is comfortable on the ball, gets up and down the flank, good at attacking and defending. Not sure how genuine the links are, but he's certainly be an upgrade on Dalot. Juranovic now as an experienced international, whose done a season in Scotland so pace and physicality aren't an issue, would be cheaper now than what we paid for Dalot 4 yrs ago.He's a player that fits in with ETH's thinking, I don't see Dalot being that.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
United fans: what do our scouts do? why don't we ever sign cheap targets/gems, under the radar?

United linked with relatively unknown player at decent fee: he must be shite because he's still playing in Scotland. our club is shite. 26 years old....too old!

He is just one of those resilient players that adapt to their surrounding. He was an amateur playing in the third tier in Croatia until age 20 and caught the eye winning some Nike competition. When he went to Hajduk he started as a defensive mid, then he covered centre mid, right mid, right back, left back, even centre back on occasion. His amateur background is also the reason he got belittled by the ignorant public and media, even though he was already a much better RB than Tin feckin' Jedvaj in 2018.

His last season for Hajduk was really bad, but the entire club has been a clown show for years so I personally never held it against him. He was then pawned off to Poland for peanuts (around €300k), because again, the club has been run by idiots and shysters for years.

Glad to see him being successful with Celtic and playing for the NT. That said, the PL top 6 or thereabouts is quite the step up.

A9X SJ

Not on United level if I'm honest see him most weeks

Speako

Without being entirely dismissive, a 26 year old playing in the Scottish league is hardly going to burst into life and be a top 4 PL quality player.
Andrew Robertson for £8m ? Granted he was 23.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Andrew Robertson for £8m ? Granted he was 23.
Not comparable — he went from Dundee to Hull who were yo-yoing the PL/championship, grew as a player there, then a move from Hull to Liverpool. I’m talking about direct moves from Scotland to a club who are trying to be a top 4 team in the PL.

Speako

Not comparable — he went from Dundee to Hull who were yo-yoing the PL/championship, grew as a player there, then a move from Hull to Liverpool. I’m talking about direct moves from Scotland to a club who are trying to be a top 4 team in the PL.
Yeah, fair point.

I suppose I just have AWB in my head who was (albeit short timescale) PL proven with a big price tag. I'd like to see if we can unearth a UK based 'gem' that others didn't want to take the risk on.

BulgarianDevil91

Because no one else would actually agree to join.

NoPace

Not sure he's good enough or just had a great season, but the Celtic fans say he plays infield like a City fullback a lot and that's what we did in pre-season with our winger on the touchline, and he's quick, small and competitive which seems like what Ten Hag favors, so seems plausible enough to me.

Kieran Tierney Celtic to Arsenal, immediately became one of the best full backs in the league

BlueHaze

The guy played in Polish Ekstraklasa 2-3 years ago.
That alone should be enough to write him off.
And AWB only played in that shite premier league for a full season or two before we threw 45m at him. Turned out a real good buy did he not??

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Kieran Tierney Celtic to Arsenal, immediately became one of the best full backs in the league
Tierney looked quality from the minute he became a 1st team regular at Celtic. Was pretty obvious from day one he would end up as an elite full back. Juranovic just isn't on the same level.

Bigger crime was the clubs from the top English clubs not signing Van Dijk from Celtic and letting him go to Southampton 1st. You only needed to watch him in one or two Celtic games to see he was world class, still stunned he went to Soton.

Tierney looked quality from the minute he became a 1st team regular at Celtic. Was pretty obvious from day one he would end up as an elite full back. Juranovic just isn't on the same level.

Bigger crime was the clubs from the top English clubs not signing Van Dijk from Celtic and letting him go to Southampton 1st. You only needed to watch him in one or two Celtic games to see he was world class, still stunned he went to Soton.
I was just pointing out that its nonsense to say someone cannot come from Scotland and play well in the premier league which some other poster was quoting above. You are right about VVD, he looked different class from the moment he arrived in Glasgow. Currently Diego Jota is tearing it up north of the border as well. Juranovic does look a very good full back up their although without Tierney's leadership abilities. United's current full backs are pretty poor, at the right price Juranovic is a decent punt, although I would like to see more of Laird.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don’t understand why we didn’t move for Hickey when he was available
Agreed, I wasn't entirely sure he would adapt, but certainly looks to have hit the ground running. That being said, the weight of the United shirt, in a shite team, is a lot heavier than Brentford. He probably made the right move.

nau05194

Agreed, I wasn't entirely sure he would adapt, but certainly looks to have hit the ground running. That being said, the weight of the United shirt, in a shite team, is a lot heavier than Brentford. He probably made the right move.
Aaron Hickey is particularly good at picking his moves and building his career in the game. He chose Hearts ahead of Celtic and Bologna ahead of Bayern Munich, Aston Villa and Lyon in order to prioritise playing time previously in his career and has chosen Brentford amidst links and heavy interest from Arsenal.

It won't surprise me in the slightest if he does well at Brentford and subsequently moves on to a 'bigger club'.
Andrew Robertson was almost an unknown player but seeing his great development and his incredible impact with Liverpool from 2017 made a lot of clubs think that basing scouting activity in Scotland could be the right move. Hickey, in my opinion is a player with similar traits to Robertson - a fast, agile player who can make runs on the left side of the pitch and help teams in both the offensive phase and the defensive phase. Those are his main characteristics, and they are what made Brentford go for him and take him to the Premier League.
Francesco Strozzi, Bologna Scout (2018 - 2021)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Aaron Hickey is particularly good at picking his moves and building his career in the game. He chose Hearts ahead of Celtic and Bologna ahead of Bayern Munich, Aston Villa and Lyon in order to prioritise playing time previously in his career and has chosen Brentford amidst links and heavy interest from Arsenal.

It won't surprise me in the slightest if he does well at Brentford and subsequently moves on to a 'bigger club'.

Agreed, and good quote!