Juan Fernando Quintero

Drifter

American
Juan Fernando Quintero has been linked with Manchester United in the recent past, and he could soon be heading out of Pescara.

The Colombian midfielder is currently taking in a loan spell in Serie A, during which he has caught the eye of sides across Europe.

His parent club Atletico Nacional have already agreed a deal with Pescara, with a clause in Quintero's contract offering them first refusal on his signature.

It is expected that the Italian side will take up that option, before offloading the 20-year-old at a profit.

It is likely that he will head away from Italy in the summer, with Quintero's representative revealing that all options remain open.

"He is a player who has many admirers in Italy and the big clubs would like him," Riccardo Calleri told TMW.

"However, it would be easier to see him move to a European giant seeing as he is being followed heavily by foreign sides."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8475506/

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Yeah, he's a tricky little number 10 with a fantastic left foot. Sort of in a Maradona-ish mold. He has massive potential, but tends to get fouled quite a bit for his style of play. I dread to think of what a Kevin Davies would do to him in England.

Just led the Colombian under 20s to the South American title and was pretty much the best player in the tournament.

GledTheRed

Yeah, he's a tricky little number 10 with a fantastic left foot. Sort of in a Maradona-ish mold. He has massive potential, but tends to get fouled quite a bit for his style of play. I dread to think of what a Kevin Davies would do to him in England.

Just led the Colombian under 20s to the South American title and was pretty much the best player in the tournament.

Impressive YouTube alright

Do want

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Yes please!

Colombia appear to be going through quite a golden period in terms of talent production. The likes of Falcao and Jackson Martinez are beingfollowed by Rodriguez and Quintero it seems.

Nobby style

And you're leaving out who may be the best of them all, Juan Guillermo Cuadrado, who's on loan to Fiorentina right now and has been linked with L'Arse. Fantastic talent on the right side. The last couple of Colombia matches against Brazil and Guatemala he's been the best player on the pitch.

Colombia is definitely going through a renassaince, thank feck, as we've been waundering about in the footballing desert for the last 15 years since the fro-ed messiah Valderrama retired. Can't wait for Brazil 2014.

Will Absolute

And you're leaving out who may be the best of them all, Juan Guillermo Cuadrado, who's on loan to Fiorentina right now and has been linked with L'Arse. Fantastic talent on the right side. The last couple of Colombia matches against Brazil and Guatemala he's been the best player on the pitch.

Colombia is definitely going through a renassaince, thank feck, as we've been waundering about in the footballing desert for the last 15 years since the fro-ed messiah Valderrama retired. Can't wait for Brazil 2014.
So why aren't we linked with Cuadrado? I want Cuadrado! :mad:

Longlivekeano

You forgot freddy rincon and tino asprilla.

Devil may care

He shows a nice range and variety of passing in that video, as well as a nice nimble ability to shift his weight and direction quickly.

Giggsforever

I have forgotten about him the last couple of months. I really have been impressed with what I have seen of him in Italy, I would really hope we sign him.

Cevno

Have seen him in a couple of games now for Pescara against decent opposition and he looks tidy. Didn't show anything special those 2 games though.

Also, is still pretty tiny in frame. Seems to be highly rated and would like this signing for the right price but doubt he would be ready to play for us straight away.

mufcwarm92

I like the look of this guy from the little I've seen. Will be interesting to see if he breaks into the Colombia team before the World Cup - they loom like one of the rising forces of international football.

Nobby style

I like the look of this guy from the little I've seen. Will be interesting to see if he breaks into the Colombia team before the World Cup - they loom like one of the rising forces of international football.
He's just what Colombia needs to rise to that next level, but I can't see him being quite ready for Brazil. Macnelly Torres in that #10 role can only take them so far, which I'm sure they'll qualify for Brazil. I'm thinking more along the lines of 2018 for Quintero to take the reins of this side.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
He's in Porto, an official announcement should be made soon!

Very skillful, probably still a bit too raw, hope we can give him the discipline he needs.

Him and James Rodríguez as kids. James hasn't changed a bit...

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
He looks bloody good in that video up there. I'd never heard of him.

Mojo_pin

He's in Porto, an official announcement should be made soon!

Very skillful, probably still a bit too raw, hope we can give him the discipline he needs.

Him and James Rodríguez as kids. James hasn't changed a bit...

And we will be linked with him, again, in a couple of summers - and for a fee 3x Porto's expense.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
And we will be linked with him, again, in a couple of summers - and for a fee 3x Porto's expense.
He will get a thread of 600 pages in 2016 and after having agreed terms with us five times he will sign for barca/madrid/bayern.

AKDevil

I think we were linked with him. Had never heard of him though until u20 WC when he scored a worldy equaliser with the last kick of the game to force extra time. On the info for the game he was mentioned as 'Manchester united target Juan Quintero is colombia's one to watch.'

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Confirmed signing.

50% for 5m euros, 40m release clause.

We're lowering our investment by buying less players for full value. Arguably Bernard will come for 6.5m for 30%. Losses sharing when it goes wrong, profits reduced when it goes well. Overall more cautious, I guess there's no way around it.

AKDevil

Confirmed signing.

50% for 5m euros, 40m release clause.

We're lowering our investment by buying less players for full value. Arguably Bernard will come for 6.5m for 30%. Losses sharing when it goes wrong, profits reduced when it goes well. Overall more cautious, I guess there's no way around it.
Has Bernard been announced?

Castia

Obviously this kid is going to be worth a lot more than the £5m they paid for him in a couple of years so why isn't anybody else trying to sign him up now? I don't know how Porto do it. Rarely are the players they sign even that unknown, I mean Bernard is a top prospect they will pay peanuts for him then quadruple their money spent in a couple of seasons. I bet if we enquired about Bernard they would want £20m before we even got started with negotiations.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Has Bernard been announced?
Not yet, it's not certain he'll join us, but we seem to be in the pole position.
Obviously this kid is going to be worth a lot more than the £5m they paid for him in a couple of years so why isn't anybody else trying to sign him up now? I don't know how Porto do it. Rarely are the players they sign even that unknown, I mean Bernard is a top prospect they will pay peanuts for him then quadruple their money spent in a couple of seasons. I bet if we enquired about Bernard they would want £20m before we even got started with negotiations.
Bernard will cost around 20m for us as well, thing is we're only acquiring a small percentage (30%) of his pass. Considering the wages as well, we won't profit much from him, except for his in field work - which is already a good thing, if he indeed is such a good talent.

I don't think the Premiership allows players to be co-owned by funds. Porto has a recent partnership with BMG which is a big Brazilian bank that invests heavily in football players. They know very well how much Porto contributes to increasing the value of players hence they're probably more interested in making him come here than to the likes of Liverpool.

In regards to Quintero, Porto is becoming quite big in the eyes of Colombian players. We're even going to make a pre-season tour there. Falcao, Guarín, James Rodríguez, and Jackson Martínez were all players for whom Porto was the ramp to further success. Naturally Quintero knows that playing here is a sure way to get exposition and titles whilst he tries to cement himself in European football. There's a lot he can learn here, and with guaranteed CL football and chances of a first XI spot which he wouldn't have at the likes of United. It's obviously a good place for emerging talents to ply their trade.

Nobby style

I think we were linked with him. Had never heard of him though until u20 WC when he scored a worldy equaliser with the last kick of the game to force extra time. On the info for the game he was mentioned as 'Manchester united target Juan Quintero is colombia's one to watch.'
Yeah, that was an amazing goal. Too bad they then went out on penalty kicks to the Koreans, otherwise he could've gotten much more worldwide exposure. He really looks to be an amazing talent. Fantastic move for him to Porto. They've become quite the pipeline for burgeoning Colombian talent the past few years. Freddy Guarin, Falcao, James Rodriquez, Jackson Martinez and now Quintero.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/7893?cc=5901

Quintero at the head of the class

They can hand out as many medals and trophies as they like; the true balance sheet of the Under-20 World Cup in Turkey can be written only in a few years.

As in all youth football, winning the title should never be an end in itself. There is no point in a team doing well in an Under-20 World Cup if none of those players go on to play an important role at the senior level. Grooming players for the long term is -- or should be -- the objective. We will really know the fallout from Turkey 2013 when we study the senior World Cup squads in 2018 and '22.

And in the odd case, as soon as 2014.

The South American nations attach a great deal of importance to performances in these U-20 competitions. This tends to apply less with the Europeans; when they are looking to select players for the senior international squad, the overriding concern is form at club level.

But in South America, things can be a bit more fluid. Players tend to get sold overseas at young ages. It can be difficult to follow their progress or compare the merit of performances across a number of leagues. So those who have done well for their country at U-20 level hold something of an advantage. They have shown they can cope with the pressure of putting on the national team shirt. It is common for those who shine at U-20 level to be fast tracked to the senior squad.

APJuan Fernando Quintero could be bound for Porto, according to reports
In this year's crop of South American U-20s, one player has stood head and shoulders above the rest -- Colombian playmaker Juan Fernando Quintero.

His talent was abundantly clear over a year ago in the Copa Libertadores. In game after game, he came off the substitutes' bench for Atletico Nacional of Medellin and lit up proceedings with his midfield prompting. Pescara of Italy were quick to swoop. Indeed, they have "out-Porto-ed" Porto at the Portuguese champion's favourite game -- picking up early on promising South Americans and selling them at a profit. Quintero is set to join Porto, who will clearly have to pay more for him than Pescara did a year ago.

That is because the player has used this year's U-20 competitions to give a succession of midfield master classes. He was magnificent in January when Colombia won the South American title and no less impressive in Turkey, where he carried the side into the second round, where it lost on penalties to South Korea.

Uruguay, which can consider themselves unfortunate to have lost the final to France on penalties, have revealed an interesting generation. As have Chile, which fell to Ghana in a wonderfully thrilling quarterfinal. Paraguay, which were solid all the way to their second-round elimination, also have some promising players, as do the likes of Peru and Ecuador, which failed to qualify for Turkey.

But Quintero, a gloriously old-fashioned number ten, is the one player from this generation who would seem capable of making an impression at the senior level as soon as the World Cup in a year's time. A factory of ideas, he has the technique, vision and intelligence to put them into mass production. He can organise from deep, playing his push-and-run short passes and using his ability on the turn to switch the point of attack. He can strike long-range balls, splitting the opposing defence with rapier thrusts along the ground or playing over the top of the back line with a precision reminiscent of Glenn Hoddle. He can create space in the tight areas around the penalty box with clever little chips or give-and-gos. And he can weigh in with important goals as well.

APJose Pekerman gave Juan Fernando Quintero his senior debut with Colombia.
He is a type of player who used to be found with greater frequency in Argentina. Indeed, Quintero's feel for the game personifies the debt that Colombian football owes to its Argentine pioneers. The connection will not have been lost on Jose Pekerman, the Argentine in charge of the Colombian national team. In his previous spells in charge of the land of his birth, Pekerman was a huge defender of Juan Roman Riquelme, constructing teams around him at youth and senior levels. Unsurprisingly, Pekerman was swift to spot the potential of a budding midfield maestro, drafting Quintero onto the Colombia squad last year and giving him a senior debut against Cameroon in October.

Pekerman currently has the excellent Macnelly Torres performing playmaking duties for the senior side. Indeed, since Torres was recalled, Colombia have finally managed to get the best out of centre forward Radamel Falcao Garcia. But Quintero is a useful backup, and as he showed alongside Torres in last year's Libertadores, he has the capacity to come off the bench and quickly get into the game. If it happens, and he lights up a World Cup match with a moment of inspiration, then the watching public will owe a debt to this year's U-20 competitions.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
What a brilliant little player. Everything he does is pure joy.

Count Orduck

Jesus Christ, I didn't realise Porto signed him for €5million. That's ridiculous. They'll sell him for ten times that in three years.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I never understood how he came here from Pescara without any of the bigger Italian clubs going for him.

Arruda

Supports
Porto

Indeed, look how he handles the tackle before the goal. This was 30 seconds after he came on as a substitute, we wouldn't have won it without him. Didn't miss a pass or lost a ball for the remainder of the game.

And he has a cracker shot, almost scored again today.