Juan Mata | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sb_16

Where does everyone expect Mata to play under Van Gaal? Assuming he goes 4-3-3 will he play the furthest forward midfielder, or out wide in a Silva like role?
Mata was quoted saying he feels comfortable playing in midfield 3. Has played there for Spain and maybe Valencia too.

ThanksBoss26

I'd be devastated if we sell Juan Mata, absolutely devastated.
Don't worry, there's no chance.

Excluding the football side of things, it would look terrible for Woodward to sell our record signing after just six months, during which Mata has done pretty well.

It's just a nothing article.

Castia

It just doesn't make sense, why sell a player for £40m after paying £38m for him a few month ago? The journos aren't even trying anymore.

Traub

I know everyone think this is bullshit but there those stories of LvG coming into Bayern and telling new signings they not his signings and he doesn't want them - this could be the same.

Also, the first articles of LvG becoming our new manager surfaced many months ago. In addition, he said quite a while ago he wants his next job to be England. I think this gives an indication that he has been watching the premiership (and probably us specifically) in quite detail thus allowing him to already start assessing our squad.

Although I doubt he will sell Mata, I don't think we can just assume he won't.

Red_toad

It just doesn't make sense, why sell a player for £40m after paying £38m for him a few month ago? The journos aren't even trying anymore.
Mata was a Moyes signing, maybe Van Gaal doesn't think he'll fit into his team. I'd say he's proven enough to make the big calls for the good of the team. So "if" a player who isn't wanted anymore I'd see no reason why the club wouldn't sell him for a profit.

Moonred

We could sell Mata if he indeed doesn't fall under LVG's plans. But for that to happen we will need to acquire all the players that LVG has asked us to. Now our transfer efficiency pretty much rules that out so Mata will stay.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This is all hypothetical, really poor analysed journalism. There is no way van Gaal would sell a player of Mata's mental and technical abilities without even working with him. Besides, there is no way we'd sell De Gea's best mate.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Load of bs this story. At least there is no way it is happening this season. Buy for 37 in January and sell for 40 in summer after paying him few millions in wages? No chance.

Nozzy

Yes, we can offer more money than Spanish clubs. Seeing Mata go would devastate me, I'd rather us not sign any players and keep Mata. Him, Januzaj and De Gea are my favorite Manchester United players.
At the risk of appearing to be picking on you, which I don't intend, you'd rather we didn't sign two world class CBs, two world class MF players & a left back & a world class winger and kept Mata?

The Man Himself

Mata was a Moyes signing, maybe Van Gaal doesn't think he'll fit into his team. I'd say he's proven enough to make the big calls for the good of the team. So "if" a player who isn't wanted anymore I'd see no reason why the club wouldn't sell him for a profit.
Selling for 3m more after spending millions in salary is not a profit. I am amazed people believe any random news coming out of transfer gossip in summer.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We paid him that salary to play football for us. Which he did. So it should be ignored. Doubt he'd leave but I'm not convinced by him so I wouldn't be too upset if Van Gaal didn't fancy him and we could make our money back.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
tbh, I'd rather sell Rooney than Mata.
Nothing strange about that. Rooney is not the greatest of players as it is and he will be 29 shortly after the start of the new season. Even Scholes has said he thinks Rooney has peaked 3 years ago and can see him being the sort of footballer that would retire around 31-32. He is sluggish now as it is.

Mata is young, likeable, a great footballer and should be the future for us.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Would be a shocking decision if we sold a totally fit, never injured world class 26 year old to adjust two injury prone 29/30 year old strikers.

The Man Himself

We paid him that salary to play football for us. Which he did. So it should be ignored. Doubt he'd leave but I'm not convinced by him so I wouldn't be too upset if Van Gaal didn't fancy him and we could make our money back.
:lol: :lol: salary should be ignored? not convinced by him? make our money back? seriously?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Would be a very stupid decision to sell him. He's shown what he can do in the #10 role and he's yet to reach his peak. In fact, we should be building a team around Mata imo.

Rather Rooney leaves.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
They better be offering service exchanges for all the Mata shirts sold in January!

I don't see it, but the transfer windows and United are becoming very odd so I wouldn't rule it out.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We didn't even start signing players after so many legends retiring and this shite comes on ?

That would be madness... absolute apogee of incompetency, disconnection from reality and another argument for football experts to bury Wooden Ed even deeper in a football cemetery.

Trust no one, especially in May. There's no substance in the media. Only one informational chaos.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I absolutely love Mata. He's probably the highest quality player that we now have. The only thing I'm not sure about is if we can fit him in to a system to work with our current players. For him to work here things have to drastically change.

Having said that, he'd be class at Barca. I think they'll be in for him.

bleedred

It would be absolute madness to sell mata, considering we are not getting any of our supposed targets. Would seriously increase the problems for Van Gaal.

I don't think the reports are bullshit. There is no smoke without fire. Last summer when the swap for Rooney and mata+ luiz came out, everyone ridiculed it. Having seen what happened for mata and luiz, that might well have been the case.

Selling Mata would look really bad for the club, Woodward and Van Gaal.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Would be a very stupid decision to sell him. He's shown what he can do in the #10 role and he's yet to reach his peak. In fact, we should be building a team around Mata imo.

Rather Rooney leaves.
Agreed but I don't think any of then will leave.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Just seen this express articles. Please reassure me that it's 100% fabricated bullshit based in nothing?

united_99

Just seen this express articles. Please reassure me that it's 100% fabricated bullshit based in nothing?
Don't worry. He is probably as much on Barca's list as Schweinsteiger, Robben (and the way the rumours are going probably Messi also) are on our list: Just an informal inquiry.
We are currently not even close to getting top players in and I doubt we will get 5 or 6 players in as some seem to think. No way would we then just sell our record signing.
Mata has also said he wants to stay in England. And he would think 5 times before joining Barca and fighting with their top players for a position or risking being played out of position all the time. They even played Villa on the wing ffs!

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Nothing should surprise you anymore. LVG has his strict ideas about football so it'll be the highway for thise that don't fit in.
Surely Juan Mata would fit in? Especially given how well he performed since coming to us in January?

united_99

Btw he has been included for Spain's friendly against Bolivia. Del Bosque has still not provided the final list as he will wait next week for the fitness of Atletico and RM players.

pascell

Selling Mata would take us backwards not forwards. You can see how much of a real quality player he is, why go and sell him? If he's good enough for Barcelona to replace Xavi he's more than good enough for a very mediocre Man United side. If we sell Mata we might as well just give up on majorly improving the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.