Juan Mata | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Next season we will see him show his real quality just where Van Gaal plays him will be interesting.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Absolutely delighted for him. If ever a guy deserves a call up on personality alone :D

Brophs

The One and Only
I hope de Gea speaking about hoping we don't sell him was only based upon rumours and not something Mata's been told.

Baxter

Well it was either him or Negredo and he's been poor for half a season. At least Torres has shown he can score goals for Spain.
Llorente would surely have been a better option.

NMF

De Gea would be devastated, he'd probably hand in a transfer request :nervous:

NMF

Llorente would surely have been a better option.
Del Bosque is a strange one he seems reluctant to unsettle the dressing room. Despite De Gea and Lopez performing better than both Casillas and Reina they never got called up and had it not have been for Valdes injury DDG wouldn't be going to Brazil.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yes, him and Thiago. Also is Negredo still out? If not, then it's madness to take Torres and not him.
Think for negredo it was just awful form, hasn't scored since January or something. A hard worker though so he probably would've been a useful player for them, del bosque seems to stick with his prior squads though.

mufcwarm92

Del Bosque is a strange one he seems reluctant to unsettle the dressing room. Despite De Gea and Lopez performing better than both Casillas and Reina they never got called up and had it not have been for Valdes injury DDG wouldn't be going to Brazil.
It's a good strategy for managing a national team tbh. You need a delicate balance between club and international form and experience. Having said that, Torres still seems bonkers - Llorente has played in a few squads and is the far superior player now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Their striker position looks a little uneasy.

A way off peak Torres and Villa.
And a Costa who had to limp off very early in his last 2 games. They'll do well to patch a dodgy hamstring up 100% in 2 weeks.

NMF

It's a good strategy for managing a national team tbh. You need a delicate balance between club and international form and experience. Having said that, Torres still seems bonkers - Llorente has played in a few squads and is the far superior player now.
Of course it is but it seems form barely plays a part in his decisions anymore. Koke despite being the best Spanish midfielder in Europe this season (albeit an unorthodox one) he'll be lucky to receive anything other than 15 minute cameos.

NMF

And a Costa who had to limp off very early in his last 2 games. They'll do well to patch a dodgy hamstring up 100% in 2 weeks.
I still think he'll play that 4-6-0 formation with Fabregas up top like he did at Euro 2012.

Trizy

They're guaranteed to get out of their group, that gives him more time to recover.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I see Spain opting for a false nine over a more traditional centre forward again. Mata has an eye for goal...

mufcwarm92

I still think he'll play that 4-6-0 formation with Fabregas up top like he did at Euro 2012.
This is probably the most likely option if Costa isn't fit, though it doesn't seem like the greatest system by any means. It's why I was surprised Llorente or Negredo weren't included - without a fit Costa they don't have a proper starter. Torres is poor and Villa is knackered, while the latter might be a great option to knick a goal late on in a tight game, I'm struggling to see a Spain side with such talent on the bench and Torres starting.

NMF

I see Spain opting for a false nine over a more traditional centre forward again. Mata has an eye for goal...
Del Bosque never seems to fancy Mata, even when Silva was horribly overplayed and out of form he'd still opt for him.

Brightonian

Mata isn't someone del Bosque would consider for that role. Not pacy, not direct, and not a dribbler. He'd go for Fabregas as he did in the Euros (for what it's worth I don't think Fabregas is much good for that role either, but Barca and Spain both obviously do) or possibly Iniesta. Although not Iniesta, on second thoughts, because he's too valuable as a pure playmaker to be distracted thinking about providing goal threat. He'd probably consider Pedro for it too, given how effective a goalscorer he has been for Spain.

Redo91

Mata isn't someone del Bosque would consider for that role. Not pacy, not direct, and not a dribbler. He'd go for Fabregas as he did in the Euros (for what it's worth I don't think Fabregas is much good for that role either, but Barca and Spain both obviously do) or possibly Iniesta. Although not Iniesta, on second thoughts, because he's too valuable as a pure playmaker to be distracted thinking about providing goal threat. He'd probably consider Pedro for it too, given how effective a goalscorer he has been for Spain.
Couldn't you use those words to describe Fabregas too? If VDB was willing to play Fabregas in that position I see no reason why he wouldn't choose Mata.

Redo91

I'm not surprised by Torres's inclusion, he usually plays half decent for Spain, didn't he win the golden boot at the last Euros??
He did but to be fair 3 goals was the most scored by any player and he won the award on the basis that he played the least amount of minutes of those tied on three goals.

Bwuk

I remember a while back against Scotland Spain played with Silva through the middle. I think he'd do better there than Cesc, and you could put Mata/Cazorla/Pedro in his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.