Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The #10 fantasy is all well and good but there's no way I'd be happy with Ander being dropped out like that.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
His best performances for us have come playing on the right in a 4-3-3 and that's where he should remain in my opinion.

Flying_Heckfish

I think he's more of a natural #10 than Ander, and he would play well there with a stable, solid pairing behind him,which we can now offer.

Ander has earned play time though and it looks like he will be battling for the #10 role as well.

Either way Mata will get plenty of games this season so hopefully we can see his 'real' top level again.

Glanville95

Hoping to see improvement from Mata this season. He's shown glimpses, but hasn't exactly reached his Chelsea heights on a consistent, regular basis. I don't believe that player is dead and buried, but perhaps to recapture that vein of form he needs to play as the #10 and he isn't a player we should build the team around.

Man Utd 3:1 San Jose Earthquakes

Dante

Average bang
He's fine on the right as long as there's a physically dominant right back behind him. Mata's obviously not a winger in the traditional sense, so if you judge him by those standards he'll fall short. If anything, he's playing more of a Zidane role - a #10 in all but starting position. I think he'll be an important player for us this season from that part of the pitch.

Picked up a lot of good positions in and around the box against San Jose. We'll need more of that from him this season.

prarek

I would like him to shoot more from outside the box. Scored a couple of screamers for Chelsea.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think he's been quite good in these 2 games, a lot of our play going through him and he's been amongst the goals and assists as always. We'll see if we sign Pedro what happens, but think he'll be a key player for us this season, either on the right or as the #10.

Dante

Average bang
I think Mata's got the right wing spot nailed down. He gives us something unique that not many players in world football can match (creativity + goals + 90% passing). It's Young on the left who's most like to be replaced by a new signing. There are loads of players who are capable of doing what he's doing and more.

bosnian_red

I think Mata's got the right wing spot nailed down. He gives us something unique that not many players in world football can match (creativity + goals + 90% passing). It's Young on the left who's most like to be replaced by a new signing. There are loads of players who are capable of doing what he's doing and more.
Agreed... Though if we bring in Pedro, then I can see Memphis going to the left, Mata in the middle and Pedro out wide. Could work brilliantly, having those 2 running in behind from out wide while Mata provides.

Bwuk

Agreed... Though if we bring in Pedro, then I can see Memphis going to the left, Mata in the middle and Pedro out wide. Could work brilliantly, having those 2 running in behind from out wide while Mata provides.
That's what I think too. Pacey options for him to thread the ball too out wide, and Mata can get forward and score himself too.

4231 suits our squad better than 433 imo.

bosnian_red

That's what I think too. Pacey options for him to thread the ball too out wide, and Mata can get forward and score himself too.

4231 suits our squad better than 433 imo.
Yep. Will definitely help his creativity as well. The past year and a half here he hasn't looked that creative, but we had incredibly slow players up front and nobody at all running in behind. If you add in Memphis and Pedro, then that should stretch teams a lot more and we'd see a similar Mata to the one that was at Chelsea.

finneh

The #10 fantasy is all well and good but there's no way I'd be happy with Ander being dropped out like that.
Herrera has never really played the number 10 role for us, though (certainly not regularly). The fact is that we could have any combination of: Carrick/Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger + Schweinsteiger/Herrera + Herrera/Mata. If we were at home against a mid-low table team I think Schweinsteiger-Herrera-Mata would be fantastic. Against a more difficult team though I'd have Schneiderlin (or Carrick)-Schweinsteiger-Herrera, with Mata on the right hand side.

The fact that Mata & Herrera can all play 2 positions to a very high level is a big positive. I do think that we need to keep the chemistry between the two of them at all costs though; De Gea-Smalling-Herrera-Mata-Rooney should be permanent fixtures in the team almost regardless.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I think he's more of a natural #10 than Ander, and he would play well there with a stable, solid pairing behind him,which we can now offer.

Ander has earned play time though and it looks like he will be battling for the #10 role as well.

Either way Mata will get plenty of games this season so hopefully we can see his 'real' top level again.
I have to disagree with Mata being more natural as a number 10. I think Herrera's better suited. Holds the ball better, turns better, rides challenges better, injects pace into the attack better, and I think he's better at threading the ball through a defence (whereas Mata has better delivery when it's not through the lines - ie. a cross or cut back)

I don't mid Mata at right wing. In fact, I think he's better there than at number 10. And, personally, I'd be annoyed if Mata played as the 10 in place of Herrera.
Ideally, for me, we buy a better right winger and use Mata's versatility. And then he can still play lots of games in various positions (both wings, number 10, and even striker) without dropping the quality much from whoever he replaces.

Dante

Average bang
I don't think Mata's physical enough to be #10 under LvG (or Mourinho, for that matter). Coming off the right wing and away from his opposing fullback gives him more space and more options. But it does put a huge burden on our rightback. Valencia is quick and strong enough to match up to it, but I don't think Darmian is yet.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I have no zero problems with Mata playing as a right winger all the time. I mean, our best indivudal outfield performance of the season came from Mata, on the right wing!

I doubt Mata minds much either, the bloke just seems to love playing football.

Speak

I don't think Mata's physical enough to be #10 under LvG (or Mourinho, for that matter). Coming off the right wing and away from his opposing fullback gives him more space and more options. But it does put a huge burden on our rightback. Valencia is quick and strong enough to match up to it, but I don't think Darmian is yet.
Bold is key, for me. He'll never get the space he requires, if he plays number 10. Herrera is much better suited to playing in that tight, physical area. His ability to ride a challenge, shield the ball, and turn his man trumps Mata.

Right wing allows Mata to isolate and/or avoid his man, so there's more logic to him playing there.

Devil may care

Mata is a conundrum, I think he's always going to struggle centrally but when he plays wide his lack of pace is an issue and the way he is drawn to the center like a magnet means we lose shape a lot. Ideally your two wide forwards are making darting runs in behind for midfielders to find, Mata doesn't do that much.

RooneyLegend

Don't think he's going to give us what we need. We need to hit the market and get us a wide play maker that's going to give us more drive getting forward. He's going to need the team to play really well to get the best out of him and he's just not enough of a contributor to our transition play. Against the likes of Barca and Bayern I don't expect us to have the majority of the ball and our attacking trio will have to have the ability to hit spaces quickly and make things happen, he's to slow to get there. I just prefer virtuoso's as no10's as opposed to these types of link up players. In essence I'd rather have a dinho/baggio type player than a Platini/Zico.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looked good in pre-season so far.

With most sane managers we'd start the season with Pedro on the right, Mata in the centre and Depay on the left. As is it looks like Mata has at least nailed down the RW spot for the start of the season.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Looked good in pre-season so far.

With most sane managers we'd start the season with Pedro on the right, Mata in the centre and Depay on the left. As is it looks like Mata has at least nailed down the RW spot for the start of the season.
I'd say anyone leaving Young out is pretty insane. Been excellent in 2015.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd say anyone leaving Young out is pretty insane. Been excellent in 2015.
He has but even still, if we're thinking long term then you'd have to say all of Depay, Mata and (if we signed him) Pedro have more of an upside.

I'd start off playing Young given his form but I'd certainly hope the other three can step up to the point where he gets displaced on merit.

bosnian_red

Thought he was class today. Helps so much against Barca having players as good technically as Mata is. Some great passes like the one out to Young especially. He has played pretty well all pre season, so hopefully he has a big season.

Raw

He does tend to slow things down when it matters most which is frustrating. He needs to shoot/find a pass more often.

ottosec

Did good today, that pass to Young was great, looked like it was floating.

Devil may care

He had some good moment and his technique was silky as always, but to me he's not a fit on the right over genuine pace and his lack of strength on the ball can see him get caught on the break too easily.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Did good today, that pass to Young was great, looked like it was floating.
Didn't catch the match but just watched his YouTube highlights of the match. That pass to Young was out of this world, firstly the bit of skill and link up play with Darmian but the way he strikes the ball enabling it to swing around to Young was just class.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I wish he'd just be more adventurous with his passing, Depay did make some good runs behind the CBs and none of them were picked by Mata. Those are the passes we know he can make easily.

DarkXaero

I wish he'd just be more adventurous with his passing, Depay did make some good runs behind the CBs and none of them were picked by Mata. Those are the passes we know he can make easily.
Might have to do with LVG's instructions. From what I recall, Mata was more adventurous with his passing during his time at Chelsea.

kouroux

Might have to do with LVG's instructions. From what I recall, Mata was more adventurous with his passing during his time at Chelsea.
Even under Moyes he was like that, hesitant and all. I don't think LVG would tell the players not to attempt a good pass when they see one.

DarkXaero

Even under Moyes he was like that, hesitant and all. I don't think LVG would tell the players not to attempt a good pass when they see one.
Well, we do know that LVG stresses possession the most in his "philosophy". For example, he didn't give Herrera much playing time, until Herrera adapted and become a more cautious player. I think Mata slowing our attacks down, and picking easier passes over more risky ones is a direct result of that. Under Moyes, the whole team was devoid of creativity tbf.

kouroux

Well, we do know that LVG stresses possession the most in his "philosophy". For example, he didn't give Herrera much playing time, until Herrera adapted and become a more cautious player. I think Mata slowing our attacks down, and picking easier passes over more risky ones is a direct result of that. Under Moyes, the whole team was devoid of creativity tbf.
It doesn't stop Young from making dangerous passes when he thinks he can make them and Mata is a much better passer than him. While I agree that LVG's tactic is making the players more cautious, I'm still disappointed to see Mata being so useless with his passing when we know he can open teams up. Young shouldn't be our most threatening player but he is.

JoaquinJoaquin

Surprised at people saying he was class etc. because I thought he was quite poor in all honesty. His severe lack of pace really hampers him when he plays in that position. Still, only pre season nothing to worry about massively.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Pefer Herrera to start over him

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Surprised at people saying he was class etc. because I thought he was quite poor in all honesty. His severe lack of pace really hampers him when he plays in that position. Still, only pre season nothing to worry about massively.
Agreed. Too many times he turned back and played passes backward. Far too slow in general.

Speak

Nope. He just played for Chelsea at a time when they were poor in the league, had a number of managerial changes, played with a complete lack of discipline/stability.

People think he was so good despite Chelsea being poor. I'd say it was partly because Chelsea were so poor.
I've always believed that a top team does not feature Juan Mata in it consistently. He'll always look better in a lesser team, where his pluses are worth more than his negatives, and he has the freedom to do what he wants. A top team would/should have him as an impact sub/rotation option.

Last edited:

Hostekule

Mata interview saying he's comfortable playing on the right. Saying he's always aiming to score at least 10 goals.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ures-goals-manchester-united?CMP=share_btn_tw

It just depends how we shape. I used to play on the right and I used to play as a No10 and on the left. Right now I am very comfortable to be playing on the right.

“I try to cut inside with either Antonio [Valencia] or Matteo [Darmian] overlapping me and I feel very comfortable there, trying to link with the No10 and the striker.”

Status
Not open for further replies.