Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Said it before, don't think Mourinho will get rid. He always plays with a 10. And I can't see us buying any this window.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Said it before, don't think Mourinho will get rid. He always plays with a 10. And I can't see us buying any this window.
Wouldn't make any sense. Why stick with a player who doesn't suit you, and risk a real mismatch between your ideas and his abilities?

PepsiCola

Wouldn't make any sense. Why stick with a player who doesn't suit you, and risk a real mismatch between your ideas and his abilities?
The mourinho issue seemed to stem from a perceived lack of work rate from Mata at Chelsea. He regularly covers most ground for us this season. I hope mourinho doesn't get rid, he's a classy player.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I really don't believe that crap about lack of work rate. In the two seasons here I have seen a player who works his socks off in the vast majority of games. Even when he's rubbish.
I simply think it came down to a choice between Oscar and Mata. And he chose Oscar.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf it's not like Mourinho outright trashed Mata. He just said he preferred Oscar as his #10 and that meant using Mata in more of a squad role.

Given that we don't really have a #10 like Oscar, we've tended to play Mata on the right anyway and we probably have other areas that need strengthening too...

Mata's days are obviously numbered when Mourinho arrives but I could see him lasting another season. Even if he doesn't fit into Mou's plans it would still be pretty stupid to sell one of our most productive players before you've replaced him properly.

amolbhatia50k

The mourinho issue seemed to stem from a perceived lack of work rate from Mata at Chelsea. He regularly covers most ground for us this season. I hope mourinho doesn't get rid, he's a classy player.
I really don't believe that crap about lack of work rate. In the two seasons here I have seen a player who works his socks off in the vast majority of games. Even when he's rubbish.
I simply think it came down to a choice between Oscar and Mata. And he chose Oscar.
It's not about work rate. Mata has never been lazy. But he is doesn't have the physical presence or pace to contribute defensively.

Let's see what happens. If Jose gives up a bit of his obsession for discipline and leans more towards quality and class, then I have no problem with that.

amolbhatia50k

Tbf it's not like Mourinho outright trashed Mata. He just said he preferred Oscar as his #10 and that meant using Mata in more of a squad role.

Given that we don't really have a #10 like Oscar, we've tended to play Mata on the right anyway and we probably have other areas that need strengthening too...

Mata's days are obviously numbered when Mourinho arrives but I could see him lasting another season. Even if he doesn't fit into Mou's plans it would still be pretty stupid to sell one of our most productive players before you've replaced him properly.
Right, of course. We have to have a replacement to let him go. But I do think the #10 is a position that we need to review irrespective of Mourinho's preference. Noone in that position is top class and we arguably have Mata, Herrera, Lingard, Fellaini and Rooney who can/do all play there. Although I a couple of those could improve under Mourinho, still think we need more from our central attacker.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I agree with this, it's a bollocks claim.

He must have had another reason, perhaps not fast/combative as Oscar.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Right, of course. We have to have a replacement to let him go. But I do think the #10 is a position that we need to review irrespective of Mourinho's preference. Noone in that position is top class and we arguably have Mata, Herrera, Lingard, Fellaini and Rooney who can/do all play there. Although I a couple of those could improve under Mourinho, still think we need more from our central attacker.
Agree.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Exactly. If Mou decides to sign maybe even 5 players for 1st team, dont think CAM will be one of those positions to be strengthened

jem

A class act through and through. He's underwhelmed at times, but he's been far from our biggest problem. Why LVG moved away from playing Mata in the middle, I'll never understand. I'll cheer for him, wherever he ends up.

DarkXaero

Inexplicably played on the right again in favor of Lingard playing the no. 10 role (WTF?), but Mata showed his class today. That finish was harder than it looked as the pass from Rooney was a difficult one to control in a situation like that, but Mata made it look easy.

The United

Mata is a weird player for some fans. He seems weak, very safe players etc but most of our goals in last 2 seasons came from him one way or another.

He might not be in his Chelsea form for us but it is ridiculous some fans compared him with Kagawa. He is miles ahead of kagawa in united shirt.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mata is a weird players for some fans. He seems weak, very safe players etc but most of our goals in last 2 seasons come from him one way or another.

He might not be in his Chelsea form for us but it is ridiculous some fans compared him with Kagawa. He is miles ahead of kagawa in united shirt.
Saw one poster say he's been about as effective as Fellaini during the week....

Silverman

Mata does work very hard but he's not athletic or quick which means he's not the best at closing down.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I hope we do get rid of him when Mourinho comes. He's been a dissapointment overall

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
When Mata doesn't play well there are usually posters quick to say "that's why Mourinho sold him", like Mourinho obviously made the right decision.

The other side of that argument is that Mourinho chose Oscar over Mata. In hindsight was that even a good move? If Mata has been disappointing then Oscar has been straight up awful. Would you guys really prefer to see Oscar-type players favoured here?

Mr Smith

I get the impression the problems this season might cause Mourinho to give his tactics a big re-think. It's worth noting that he does like creative number 10's, he bought Ozil after all.

I'm a big fan, I hope he stays. When he has movement in front of him he his extremely dangerous.

jem

When Mata doesn't play well there are usually posters quick to say "that's why Mourinho sold him", like Mourinho obviously made the right decision.

The other side of that argument is that Mourinho chose Oscar over Mata. In hindsight was that even a good move? If Mata has been disappointing then Oscar has been straight up awful. Would you guys really prefer to see Oscar-type players favoured here?
That's the thing. I'm coming around to the idea of Mourinho (likely due to not being able to bear another year of LVG.) However, Mourinho's judgment on players hasn't been that great since coming back to England. Putting aside Mata, he made horrendous calls on DeBruyne and Lukaku and struck out badly with Falcao. Again, I'm willing to get behind his coming here, as nothing can be worse than the dross we're currently being offered up on a weekly basis, but he wouldn't be my first choice (if the likes of Guardiola, Pochettino and Simeone were available, which sadly isn't the case.)

Bwuk

At points he's had to be deeper than Valencia to cover him ffs. Why is Mata a clear #10 being used as a defensive winger.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's why Mata rightly plays all the time. For all his flaws he's one of the only players we have with that sort of composure and class.

Devil may care

He did well for the assists but struggled a lot of the time with the tempo and aggression of the game.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Poor first half. Better 2nd half. Did play a good few passes, but was as bad as the rest of our team

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well done for the assist but hid for much of the night I think.

FromTheBench

He is a luxury player to carry in such high intensity games.

Goes hiding mostly. Didn't at the time but clearly now see the reason Mourinho dispensed with him.

DarkXaero

Not the right player to be criticizing tonight. Did a lot of hard work defensively, especially in the first half when he was constantly covering for Valencia being out of position. Then showed his class with a nice assist in the 2nd half. His passing and overall play could have been better but it wasn't an easy game to play in, with West Ham's pressing and physicality.

Status
Not open for further replies.