Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
11 goals, 11 assists last season. 10 goals 10 assists the season before.
Would be ridiculous getting rid when there are still complete dross in the squad.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I really think that he is an hindrance, he is useless 99% of the time but incredibly efficient on the 1%, you can't rely on a player like that, he can't be at the heart of a consistent team.

Charlie Foley

Good output as ever.

I also disagree entirely with the consensus that he's too much of a lightweight. Sure he's not particularly strong or fast but I can't fault his effort, he clearly puts himself about and works harder defensively than he's given credit for on her in my opinion.

I hope we keep him, personally, he doesn't have to start every match but I would rather him over Rooney.

Maybe I'm watching a different player to a lot of people here (or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about :lol:), it sure feels like it at times.

dichinero

Good output as ever.

I also disagree entirely with the consensus that he's too much of a lightweight. Sure he's not particularly strong or fast but I can't fault his effort, he clearly puts himself about and works harder defensively than he's given credit for on her in my opinion.

I hope we keep him, personally, he doesn't have to start every match but I would rather him over Rooney.

Maybe I'm watching a different player to a lot of people here (or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about :lol:), it sure feels like it at times.
This

sunama

Baghdad Bob
11 goals, 11 assists last season. 10 goals 10 assists the season before.
Would be ridiculous getting rid when there are still complete dross in the squad.
I prefer to talk about performances in the league.

6 goals. 5 assists. 34 appearances.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/25363/Show/Juan-Mata

For Sunderland, this would be fine. For MUFC - you think this is good enough? Seriously?

I do agree though, that we do have other players (like Memphis and Lingard) who are 1-2 levels below Mata.

Devil may care

I really think that he is an hindrance, he is useless 99% of the time but incredibly efficient on the 1%, you can't rely on a player like that, he can't be at the heart of a consistent team.
Agreed, he's like an old fashioned #9 in that regard.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf, hardly anyone is suggesting he should be at the heart of our team. Mostly people are asking whether he should be kept as a squad player or if Rooney is really a better option at #10 atm. Both of which seem like fair suggestions.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Tbf, hardly anyone is suggesting he should be at the heart of our team. Mostly people are asking whether he should be kept as a squad player or if Rooney is really a better option at #10 atm. Both of which seem like fair suggestions.
I just expressed a part of my thought, I didn't point any fingers. In my opinion, Mata should be sold if a good offer comes and we should take punts at players like Asensio, Kovacic or Lemar.

the hea

I thought he had a pretty poor game today, sure he popped up with an moment of brilliance like he usually does but for the other 89 minutes he was almost invisible. All in all a very Mataesque performance from him and I hope he isn't seen as anything else than a back up when the season starts.

itso 7

I just expressed a part of my thought, I didn't point any fingers. In my opinion, Mata should be sold if a good offer comes and we should take punts at players like Asensio, Kovacic or Lemar.
Agree with the general idea, its almost established that our front four will have Martial, Mkhitaryan, Rooney and Ibrahimovic which is an upgrade from the shambles of last year but the back ups leave a lot to be desired imo. Apart from Januzaj the rest have little to no upside so the best idea would be to get rid of Mata, Memphis and Lingard in particular then use the funds to sign two young wingers/forwards with a genuine shot at displacing any of the three playing behind the main striker. Might seem particularly harsh on Mata but the truth is despite his stats we are not going anywhere with him, a player of his calibre/ the one we thought we were getting should be elevating the team to another level not just look the part.

Acole9

Outstanding
I thought he played well today, he did dip in and out of the game at times but it was understandable because of the humidity. I'm glad Mourinho has come out and clarified his future.

lem8sh

I prefer to talk about performances in the league.

6 goals. 5 assists. 34 appearances.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/25363/Show/Juan-Mata

For Sunderland, this would be fine. For MUFC - you think this is good enough? Seriously?

I do agree though, that we do have other players (like Memphis and Lingard) who are 1-2 levels below Mata.
Surely you have to factor in the conditions of the team last year. Mata was shoehorned around the place, playing in one of the top 3 worst sides to watch in the league managed by somebody who restricted any offensive freedom ( we scored 1 more than Sunderland).

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Mata surely is going to struggle in the 4-2-3-1 display at away games, but could be very useful as a substitute to break packed defenses at Old Trafford. I would keep him if I was Mourinho, unless he has the same attitude while at Chelsea and asks to leave.

LouisDanGaal

There is some games where you need someone to get in between the lines and create something with little space available and I think he can do that. I think he should be our back up number 10 or maybe starter depending on if Rooney starts the season as badly as he did last year. I think 15 goals assists combined in the league and im happy.

SirAF

Ageist
The poor bastard is working his little arse off to impress Jose :D

AR87

Shouldn't be close to exiting given the moments of brilliance he can provide. He's at the very least a useful squad player that has proven himself durable and is generally well liked by teammates and supporters.

AndyJ1985

When the players around him are playing well Mata is a great player to have in the team. We'd be mad to get rid of him, we really would.

Tiber

If we are going to play someone behind the striker Mata is so much better than rooney at that role

Rossa

He's pretty damn good at times. Some of his passes are brilliant and his runs through the middle aren't shabby either. Much better than Rooney.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Had a very good game. Jose should keep him.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mataaaah!!!:drool: The goal was a beauty!

binary bot
I think Mourinhos probably haunted by those games where they couldn't break down their opponent when City last won the league.

Ban

He sure tried to prove he should stay. And he will stay. He was immense. Some great stuff by him.

JeffBoomTetris

Very good today. It's not even that the goal 'masked' his performance or stuff like that. Apart from his goal, looked a live wire with attacking, seeking balls and risk taking. That ball he slipped through to Memphis in the offside situation, you would not see that under LvG

Tiber

I could not agree more. I will say Mhkitaryan, Rashford and Mata should all be ahead of Rooney in that role.
I would rather keep developing Rashford as an outright striker, I agree Mkhitaryan would both be good in that role - but I would like them both to play and Mkhitaryan is good on the right

Status
Not open for further replies.