Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Invisible but then invisible was a clear step above a lot of his teammates today. At least he didn't actively make thing worse and tried to get everyone to calm down.

acnumber9

He was the only player that when he got the ball didn't completely lose his head. He should've been through the middle much sooner.

Sylar

He was the only player that when he got the ball didn't completely lose his head. He should've been through the middle much sooner.
Agreed with this. The only one that tried to still play football and get us into better positions to score.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This. Was possibly thhe only player who was staying calm and had a bit of composure in attack rather than just hoofing up the ball,which just wasn't working

M Bison

Supports
York City
His lack of pace is always going to be an issue. Didn't play badly but it was the sort of game he should be making a bigger impact in.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This. Was possibly thhe only player who was staying calm and had a bit of composure in attack rather than just hoofing up the ball,which just wasn't working
Agreed. It was embarrassing watching him trying to calm players down when they were just lumping it forward. Couldn't get the passing going in the last 10 minutes because everyone else was trying to force it. I don't think he had a good game but at least he didn't reach for the panic button.

Acole9

Outstanding
Apart from a bit of side ways passing he didn't really do much. He should've been more insistent with Ibrahimovic on that free kick it was his side and I personally think he's a better free kick taker.

Rossa

Caf and pace...
He doesn't need it, but my what a player he would have been if he had it. He makes such amazingly clever runs in behind the defense often only to be caught and not be able to have a shot at goal. No doubt his game would benefit from it, but he is still one of our best players without it.

Rossa

His lack of pace is always going to be an issue. Didn't play badly but it was the sort of game he should be making a bigger impact in.
When the opposition team has ten men, or nine, behind the ball around the 18 yard box, I'm not sure pace is the answer to all your prayers. Rashford has bags of pace, but he couldn't do nothing but run the ball out of play. Sometimes his lack of pace is a problem, but today was not that game.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He frustrates the life out of me. These are the games where a player with his qualities is supposed to make the difference and far too often he doesn't. When all is rosy and the collective is playing well he pads his stats up, but it's these games where we simply need more. It's a complete waste of time playing him on the right and I'd want a lot more direct creativity and influence from a no.10.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Not sure I agree, players getting in behind from the flanks and to the by-line is what's missing in my view.

shield

Among all the players put out yesterday, he was the only one who had genuine ball control abiliy ( I think Marial does too) needed to stretch a 10 man defence.

Yesterday was a complete shambles of team performance so we can't judge his contribution properly. The play was very erratic and lacked structure. It becomes very difficult for Mata to play in such a situation. There was literally no one yesterday who could play those quick passes, short one two's and throughballs. Without such players, it becomes impossible for Mata to perform. He does not have any strength or pace and becomes invisible.

He gets the ball, runs with it a bit, passes it and then does not get the pass back. He makes runs behind but everyone is trying to feed Zlatan who is having a mare. He plays a pass and the player leaves it thinking that it is meant for somebody else. He is doing his best to create something but the others are just lobing and hoffing the ball. We get a free kick and now he can show something but Zlatan comes in and snatches it away and the oppurtunity is lost. Even in the dying moments, Pogba has the ball with him in front of goal, he is struggling to control it but Mata is there right next to him so maybe Pogba has the intelligence to just prod it in Mata's way and Mata can score. But no. Pogba takes a shot, fluffs it and the chance is gone.

He seems to shine when there are genuine intelligent players around thim. He combines very well with Herrera and Mikhi. He has this magical understanding with them and we can see some really great chances getting created from open play. Without them, it becomes really difficult for him to perform. Others really don't seem to understand his movement at all. They are just out of sync with him.

Yesterday the entire team seemed to try to brute force the ball into the goal. They just were not looking to create anything. I really felt sad for Mata there. He should have been substitued. The tactics were just not meant for him.

I just wish we tried to get the best out of Mata instead of trying to get the best out of Pogba. Like play him throught the middle and surround him with more intelligent players who know how to spot runs and move the ball. It might help the team.

Reactions: SteveJ

El Jefe

People get really defensive over criticism of Mata but I believe he should and will probably the first player to have his starting 11 position replaced in the summer.

He's a fantastic option to have as he's technically sound and statistically very good but he often goes invisible in games for far too long.

Wide players should be involved at all times and be a constant threat. His lack of pace, strength and dribbling doesn't allow him to be out wide.

Among all the players put out yesterday, he was the only one who had genuine ball control abiliy ( I think Marial does too) needed to stretch a 10 man defence.

Yesterday was a complete shambles of team performance so we can't judge his contribution properly. The play was very erratic and lacked structure. It becomes very difficult for Mata to play in such a situation. There was literally no one yesterday who could play those quick passes, short one two's and throughballs. Without such players, it becomes impossible for Mata to perform. He does not have any strength or pace and becomes invisible.

He gets the ball, runs with it a bit, passes it and then does not get the pass back. He makes runs behind but everyone is trying to feed Zlatan who is having a mare. He plays a pass and the player leaves it thinking that it is meant for somebody else. He is doing his best to create something but the others are just lobing and hoffing the ball. We get a free kick and now he can show something but Zlatan comes in and snatches it away and the oppurtunity is lost. Even in the dying moments, Pogba has the ball with him in front of goal, he is struggling to control it but Mata is there right next to him so maybe Pogba has the intelligence to just prod it in Mata's way and Mata can score. But no. Pogba takes a shot, fluffs it and the chance is gone.

He seems to shine when there are genuine intelligent players around thim. He combines very well with Herrera and Mikhi. He has this magical understanding with them and we can see some really great chances getting created from open play. Without them, it becomes really difficult for him to perform. Others really don't seem to understand his movement at all. They are just out of sync with him.

Yesterday the entire team seemed to try to brute force the ball into the goal. They just were not looking to create anything. I really felt sad for Mata there. He should have been substitued. The tactics were just not meant for him.

I just wish we tried to get the best out of Mata instead of trying to get the best out of Pogba. Like play him throught the middle and surround him with more intelligent players who know how to spot runs and move the ball. It might help the team.
Agree largely with this. Mata is always going to struggle when we have such a lack of movement around him. Martial is quick but never runs in behind, Zlatan is not that sort of player, and Rooney is like a Championship player at this point. Pogba faced the same problem. Both are there to create but it's impossible when there's no-one doing anything around them.

IrishRedDevil

The only player to keep his cool near the end of the match.

Jose said the team has a lot of growing to do, games like yesterday indicates what he means.

Witchking

He frustrates the life out of me. These are the games where a player with his qualities is supposed to make the difference and far too often he doesn't. When all is rosy and the collective is playing well he pads his stats up, but it's these games where we simply need more. It's a complete waste of time playing him on the right and I'd want a lot more direct creativity and influence from a no.10.
When players all around him were losing their heads, what is Mata supposed to do? @shield summed it up perfectly. Plus if we had Herrera or Mkhi, Mata would have made a better impact. They both are his type of players and seem to have a good link as well.

Mike09

He was decent. At least he was trying in the last 10 minutes, unlike the others who were more insistent on fecking up.
Can't be called decent if a player who played 90 mins was only trying to do something for just the last 10 mins.

Blind

People get really defensive over criticism of Mata but I believe he should and will probably the first player to have his starting 11 position replaced in the summer.

He's a fantastic option to have as he's technically sound and statistically very good but he often goes invisible in games for far too long.

Wide players should be involved at all times and be a constant threat. His lack of pace, strength and dribbling doesn't allow him to be out wide.
He's a really decent squad player (albeit a £40m one) and deserves to stick around and chip in but yeah he's not the starting quality we need to push on. It doesn't help playing him wide with a lack of runners but he still has the chance to influence the match.

Jig1234

One of the only players vs Bournemouth that didn't completely lose the plot. Everyone was just lumping it forward while Juan was telling everyone to calm down. Embarrassing left like Pulis old Stoke side. We need to be calmer in these situations we seem to snatch at things trying to force the issue. If we just relaxed, pass and moved the ball with confidence we would've been breaking down sides at home.

MadMike

He's a really decent squad player (albeit a £40m one) and deserves to stick around and chip in but yeah he's not the starting quality we need to push on. It doesn't help playing him wide with a lack of runners but he still has the chance to influence the match.
He is only wide when he defends. When we attack he is free to roam wherever, because Valencia provides the width. Martial on the other hand has to provide the width on the left and stay there.

Now, regarding yesterday match, he was a positive calming influence but didn't create much. His give & go game works much better with Mkhi on, or someone else who is on the same wavelength.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Could of done more yesterday (though people weren't passing to him when he was coming short - opting to go long instead) but at least he wasn't being a complete feckin' idiot like a lot of our other players.

unitedforeveral

Mata is a brilliant footballer and miles ahead of the class we're in right now. His involvement in most games go unnoticed. If he leaves, i for one will be disappointed.

El Jefe

Nah against a parked bus only team coherence and intelligence are what is needed.
Yes those elements are needed but so is pace. It's pretty obvious!

The perfect team to use to explain this is Pep Guardiola's Bayern. Teams sat back against them constantly but they kept their wide players wide to isolate them with defenders to use skill and pace. Pace from Robben, Alaba, Coman and Costa was vital for this team.

Remember how Kingsley Coman completely change the dynamic of this CL tie when he came on. Pace and trickery to unsettle a parked bus.

CEOZucker

Yes those elements are needed but so is pace. It's pretty obvious!

The perfect team to use to explain this is Pep Guardiola's Bayern. Teams sat back against them constantly but they kept their wide players wide to isolate them with defenders to use skill and pace. Pace from Robben, Alaba, Coman and Costa was vital for this team.

Remember how Kingsley Coman completely change the dynamic of this CL tie when he came on. Pace and trickery to unsettle a parked bus.
That's the thing Juventus were not parking the bus they were also trying to win the game, both teams scored on the counter attack, if Juve had 10 men behind the ball none of that would've worked. Anyway we are not playing to european sides at home, we are playing the likes of Bournemouth and Hull City it should not be difficult to break those teams down.

shr89

Yeah he's been absolutely brilliant , the ball to Zlatan was simply :drool:
Shame he couldn't round the keeper and score

Fracture90

Some very nice passing from his part so far. He seems to struggle without #10 with whom he can interchange with.

Witchking

He is a class player. Played well so far but hasn't got any decent support. Him and Mkhi hopefully can link up more.

tom33

Love Jonny Mata, he just needs more pace and movement around him to make the most of his vision and creativity.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Love Jonny Mata, he just needs more pace and movement around him to make the most of his vision and creativity.
I think his movement and finishing are better than his vision and creativity tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.