5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Tbh this talk about Lingard being a better runner doesn’t really do much for me. I’d run my arse off for united if picked!! But what I actually did with the ball would be the bit that counted and believe me it wouldn’t be pretty!
Lingard's spell of good form last season and good goals came as the number 10. Mata really hasnt delivered for us when used there for us

Sterling Archer

Presumably, he won't be starting the majority of games. So let's just go ahead and can him a squad player. Looking back ten years or so to more ''successful" times, our substitutes bench included midfielders like Darren Gibson, Tom Cleverly, Chris Eagles, Rodrigo Possebon.

Comparing Mata to that, I don't see what the problem is. Guy's got a ton of winning experience and still a lot to offer. And to be frank is another level of quality than the above list.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Has there be any comparative players who have been an excited, proven signing, yet we essentially never give them a genuine chance in a role tailored to them? Mata at Chelsea was incredible. Mata at United has been blocked by Rooney amongst others. If he's not going to start the season centrally with all the other players out, then why bother with him? Play Martial and Sanchez in front of him and three other midfielders, a couple of whom shuttle, and you've got some interest.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He’s better than Lingard as a number 10, by a long way.
Mata has been poor as number 10 every time he's played there since Mourinho has come in. Admittedly it hasn't happened very often, but when given the opportunity he's never grasped it.

Lingard last season was comfortably better in that role than Mata has been the last few years.

Charlie Foley

Tbh this talk about Lingard being a better runner doesn’t really do much for me. I’d run my arse off for united if picked!! But what I actually did with the ball would be the bit that counted and believe me it wouldn’t be pretty!
Definitely not overrating your own speed/fitness at all here.

keener

I'm going to have to back track a bit on Juan. I am now leaning toward the opinion that we can't be a top team and have Juan in the lineup any more than a bit role. He doesn't pressure the ball at all and the top of the defense, it's him and Lukaku or Sanchez that would need to begin the pressure in order to force a back pass or a long ball... otherwise, teams simply possess against us like Liverpool did.

I believe that when we have the players, and for the most part I believe we do have these types of players now, we can press 3/4 up the field and then everyone cover the easiest passes to force the opponent to give the ball away via a long ball or back pass to the goalie with a long ball to follow. Without 100% buy-in, pressing doesn't work and Mata is either coached to not press or he's just not willing to do so which puts us at a disadvantage.

I've watched this closely over the last year as our "style" has come into question, and there were many games, maybe more than half last season where we do press and aggressively force turnovers, playing fast and aggressively after we win the ball but enough times we get a 2-0 lead and stop or we play a team that's a bit better in possession and we tend to be too conservative defensively. THIS IS MY # ONE/Main concern. We have the athletes on the wings and in the middle of the pitch to press/fight/win possession. Our players are fast, strong and frankly most of them aggressive enough to be coached into this philosophy but Jose tends to revert to a more sagging approach later in games.

All of that said, I unfortunately don't think Juan can play a starting role in a team that plays in this fashion. I think he's our most creative player (along with Pogba) but he's a real liability in defense.

Ashley R1+O

His little legs are on their last run me thinks.
Have to agree, apart from this game against Madrid he's just way to slow and although he can pop up here and there he's just not consistent enough.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Has great quality but rarely shown enough and been a poor signing for a record fee. He will walk away for free next season. Been very disappointed in him in his time here.

Trizy

Has great quality but rarely shown enough and been a poor signing for a record fee. He will walk away for free next season. Been very disappointed in him in his time here.
Same. Might not be too much to call him a 1 season wonder for Chelsea.

Apart from a piece of quality in every 8-10 games for us, he's been hugely disappointing given the fee paid.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Same. Might not be too much to call him a 1 season wonder for Chelsea.

Apart from a piece of quality in every 8-10 games for us, he's been hugely disappointing given the fee paid.
He was overplayed in his first 18 months because of how heavily we relied on him. 11-12 it was to a ridiculous amount we literally couldn't create a single chance if he was playing poorly or not playing.

Think that's was what ultimately done him early because he was pretty average during his last year with us if truth be told.

AR87

He should be used as an impact sub predominantly. I think he adds value in that capacity, especially when we're looking for a goal later on as his ability to drop deep and drift across the pitch to link up play helps us retain possession. As a starter he's not good enough anymore.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I won't shed a tear if he goes next summer, to be honest I'm a bit surprised he's still here now, I think we would've let him go this year if we'd signed a winger. He's been here since 2014 and has never really locked down a place, he's has quality but his speed and strength are painful to watch at times. Still think Chelsea did very well to get £37m out of us for him.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
There are players who have been used regularly, who have performed less consistently than Mata. Season before last he was one of our best players, inspiring the Special Juan banner. That doesn't happen to a player who is considered a disappointment. He's been used on the right, when he's stronger on the left, but he gives his all every game. He's also changed games when he's come on, sometimes positively, sometimes only potentially. I know when Mata is in the line up, he will work.

As a fan of Mourinho, I have to say that I'm not impressed with his man management - Mata isn't the only player who might have underproduced. Luke Shaw was brilliant before he broke his leg, and he didn't continually backpass at Southampton. Old Trafford can appear to be a graveyard for good players - time and time again, we turn a great reputation into an iffy one. It can't all be coincidence so I question the negative tactics.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There are players who have been used regularly, who have performed less consistently than Mata. Season before last he was one of our best players, inspiring the Special Juan banner. That doesn't happen to a player who is considered a disappointment. He's been used on the right, when he's stronger on the left, but he gives his all every game. He's also changed games when he's come on, sometimes positively, sometimes only potentially. I know when Mata is in the line up, he will work.
Completely agree. He was among our better players in Mou's first season and even though he had a disappointing last season, his ethic was arguably better than nearly everyone. He was the only player who tracked back to help Dave in the game vs Sevilla, when Yeddar was 1v1 vs Dave, the only player in the game vs Chelsea (FA Cup final) who was going back to help keepers (when it should've been our defenders).
Hell, he was slightly unlucky as some of his assists were not converted!
Our best football in last 4 years has come when he was on the pitch and that's a fact. The 6 game run in LVGs 1st season, the no look pass to Smalling in CL and his contribution in the Martial's goal vs Stoke (arguably our 2 finest goals in that dull season). Even last season, the initial run of games where we were winning 4-0, his movement was top notch which tired the oppo defenders due to which Rashers and Martial were able to stretch them in last 10 mins.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Completely agree. He was among our better players in Mou's first season and even though he had a disappointing last season, his ethic was arguably better than nearly everyone. He was the only player who tracked back to help Dave in the game vs Sevilla, when Yeddar was 1v1 vs Dave, the only player in the game vs Chelsea (FA Cup final) who was going back to help keepers (when it should've been our defenders).
Hell, he was slightly unlucky as some of his assists were not converted!
Our best football in last 4 years has come when he was on the pitch and that's a fact. The 6 game run in LVGs 1st season, the no look pass to Smalling in CL and his contribution in the Martial's goal vs Stoke (arguably our 2 finest goals in that dull season). Even last season, the initial run of games where we were winning 4-0, his movement was top notch which tired the oppo defenders due to which Rashers and Martial were able to stretch them in last 10 mins.
Yep. And what's being ignored - maybe because it ruins the myth - is that he and Sanchez have been pretty good together. I know it's too early to get excited, but they actually were the most exciting part of the tour - well, them and Pereira.

Last edited:

Wanderlust_09

Calling Mata as a flop signing is delusional.
Since SAF left, no single Utd player has performed consistently or even reached their full potential (except DDG of course).
Mata has been among our 'better' players during these troubled years. Yes, his 2017-18 performance has been a disappointment compared to his previous 3.5 seasons and he has not been able to reproduce the same kind of magic that he once used to.
Our system (especially under Mou) does not suit him at all. If he continues to get under-used or used as a RW, hope he moves back to Spain and plays for a team that suits his strengths well...

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
he will be a good squadie, definitely a player who has a goal in him, always makes a great run. He should't start games for us though, would ratther his time went to Lingard or Rashford even though they are both also out of position on the right. Shame about Mata's pace he would be a world class striker, still could go to Itally and boss it, can see Juve coming in for him

Art

Art the artist
We're not going be an exceptional football side when one of the slowest runners in the squad occupies the RW position like he does.

MadMike

His lack of pace and strength in these kind of games is incredibly evident. He can be useful around the box with his movement when we're pressing for a goal but when we're trying to play counter attacking football he's the least useful person on the pitch. Less useful than the ball boys.

Zoo

Our right side is a graveyard with him and Darmian.

kps88

Think he'll be the first one dropped once Lukaku is back.

Fosu-Mens

Mata is a luxuryplayer, but not by is own choice.
While he tries to press and contribute defensively, he is to much of a hobbit to actually do anything of note.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Our right side is a graveyard with him and Darmian.
Been saying this for years. I can't remember us winning a game with them two starting on the right. Hard to believe they are both still here.

AndyJ1985

Calling him a luxury player is like calling the Honda Jazz a luxury car.

El Jefe

Has no business being in our first 11. I'd even go a bit further saying he has no business being an option for our RW at all.

I fail to see what he'll offer us this season.

Andersons Dietician

It’s hard not to like him, but he is a bit of a luxury. It’s also a shame that the way we play does him absolutely no favours. He’s expected to become a fullback as part of a back 6 as the fullbacks tuck in, then he’s supposed to sprint to the oppos box from there. Rashford and Martial struggle to do that so no way is Mata going to manage.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Not good enough. Corner leading to goal was his fault.

Not athletic enough for elite level football.

-Supreme-

I honestly don't see what Mata offers to the team? I hope we sell him if we get a winger before the window closes otherwise he will leave for nothing next year!

mewnew11

Calling Mata as a flop signing is delusional.
Since SAF left, no single Utd player has performed consistently or even reached their full potential (except DDG of course).
Mata has been among our 'better' players during these troubled years. Yes, his 2017-18 performance has been a disappointment compared to his previous 3.5 seasons and he has not been able to reproduce the same kind of magic that he once used to.
Our system (especially under Mou) does not suit him at all. If he continues to get under-used or used as a RW, hope he moves back to Spain and plays for a team that suits his strengths well...
Sorry but it's not Jose's fault. Mata is just awful and not united quality anymore

marktan

Such a pointless player. It feels like a bit of recurring nightmare that he's been playing on our RW for about 5 seasons now. A past it Nani is still more useful to us than he is.

Thanks as always, LVG and Moyes. And Mourinho too for not signing anyone better.

luke511

It was glaringly obvious last season he's not at the required level anymore, he gets worse and worse every time I see him play. fecking hell even his touch has gone, and that was all he had left going for him.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Poor game from him, although to be fair, every single player except maybe he CBs had a poor game

Status
Not open for further replies.