5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Negan

Blaming Juan Mata for not being a flying winger is like blaming a fish for not being able to climb a tree.

It’s not realistic. He isn’t a winger. Never has been. Never will be. He is a number 10. An AM. He should be accompanied by two flying wingers on each flank.

Silas

Blaming Juan Mata for not being a flying winger is like blaming a fish for not being able to climb a tree.

It’s not realistic. He isn’t a winger. Never has been. Never will be. He is a number 10. An AM. He should be accompanied by two flying wingers on each flank.
Don't think people are blaming him directly. They're just saying he needs to go, as we don't play in a way that accommodates someone like him.

stevoc

I think some people overlook the fact that Mata can come on and look nice and tidy, and play some really nice passes around and yet not actually contribute much to our attack, barely anything to our defence and hinder one side of our play.

He's a cracking little player but he's pointless in the position we primarily use him in. I would love to see him get a run in the middle but it's never gong to happen at this stage.

starman

Pogba will miss the game in Paris, so will see Mata's worth if he comes in to replace him. In a high intensity game he is always going to struggle on the wings

Canagel

His presence on the side turns our RW into a graveyard. Sick of it tbh. Can't press, can't dribble past player, can't tackle.. what's the point?

Patrick08

His presence on the side turns our RW into a graveyard. Sick of it tbh. Can't press, can't dribble past player, can't tackle.. what's the point?
This is why I thought lukaku would have been better in the right.

T_Model101

Our midfield and attack hardly touched the ball in the second half
Mata seemed to be far more involved than the likes of Sanchez

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Don't think people are blaming him directly. They're just saying he needs to go, as we don't play in a way that accommodates someone like him.
Probably sums up entirely how many feel about him. Putting him on for Martial was a tactical blunder.

SAFMUTD

He is shit but he is a nice fella, thats about what you need to play for ManUtd right now.

DelBanco

Too slow to be a winger, can’t dribble to be ACM, too weak to be CM. Just let him go in the summer.

Loublaze

ATLien
He’s completely and utterly pointless. I knew the game was finished the second I seen him coming on.
Me too. Was sad actually. There was one time he was in space inside their area and let off a weak off target shot. So frustrating. He's no better than Sanchez

Jeffthered

Nice guy, but a bit of a charlatan to me. He knows his limitations, and does little to adapt his game to really, really make an impact at United. He's comfortable there, and needs to be told to f*** off in my opinion.

Too slow, lacks an edge, shows no leadership... Does not want to score goals... He drops into midfield, plays tidy passes, which doesn't really help at all. Slows down our play. No physical presence. Nothing. His crossing, dead balls were rubbish. Look at how Di Maria caused havoc with some of his corners. Did anyone watch Wolves on Monday? Now compare.

Juan Mata in my opinion, was a signing that signified all that was going wrong at Manchester United.

How can we give him a contract extension? Based on what? What sort of message does that send the young attackers coming through at United?

That 'you also could be as effective for the club as Juan Mata...' I want him out because he lowers the standards of what a United player should be. G Neville was disgusted when he was made captain for a few games and was absolutely right.

United isn't some club run by generation snowflake. Get rid of this guy. He plays veterans football in the premierleague.

Bola

No pace, no impact. No energy. Should not be renewing his contract. We cannot hurt teams with him in the side.
Plus he is blocking the progress of youth players. Seems out manager and some fans would prefer to have a mediocre and ineffective player, than develop some top prospects. Age matters, merit does not

mewnew11

Nice guy, but a bit of a charlatan to me. He knows his limitations, and does little to adapt his game to really, really make an impact at United. He's comfortable there, and needs to be told to f*** off in my opinion.

Too slow, lacks an edge, shows no leadership... Does not want to score goals... He drops into midfield, plays tidy passes, which doesn't really help at all. Slows down our play. No physical presence. Nothing. His crossing, dead balls were rubbish. Look at how Di Maria caused havoc with some of his corners. Did anyone watch Wolves on Monday? Now compare.

Juan Mata in my opinion, was a signing that signified all that was going wrong at Manchester United.

How can we give him a contract extension? Based on what? What sort of message does that send the young attackers coming through at United?

That 'you also could be as effective for the club as Juan Mata...' I want him out because he lowers the standards of what a United player should be. G Neville was disgusted when he was made captain for a few games and was absolutely right.

United isn't some club run by generation snowflake. Get rid of this guy. He plays veterans football in the premierleague.
This is exactly how I feel too. He just doesn't do anything and is enjoying a salary at United. Even when he is bought from the bench he can't change games because of how limited he is. He is not even a squad player. If he gets a contract then we have serious questions of the ambitions of the club.

Bola

Too slow, lacks an edge, shows no leadership... Does not want to score goals... He drops into midfield, plays tidy passes, which doesn't really help at all. Slows down our play. No physical presence. Nothing. His crossing, dead balls were rubbish.

The message it sends is 'forget about getting a chance in the 1st team, as age is more important than merit'.

If I was a young player at United, I'd be scratching my head thinking whether you need to do to get a chance, when you have a player who constantly stinks up the right flank game after game.

Instead of putting the effort in on the training ground, they'd be better off doctering their birth certificate and the club's accounts, to show they are a late 20s/ early 30s player who cost a fair wedge.

zenith

Mata was never a winger, he's a classic no. The decision to play him there just because he can is plain wrong. The shoehorning approach is clearly wrong..

Either we should play him in his right position or let him leave, no point wasting everyone's time

Bola

This is exactly how I feel too. He just doesn't do anything and is enjoying a salary at United. Even when he is bought from the bench he can't change games because of how limited he is. He is not even a squad player. If he gets a contract then we have serious questions of the ambitions of the club.
And if OGS keeps making the same mistake of sticking him on the right, then I'd also question his suitability for the job. Failing to learn from mistakes is unacceptable

Canagel

Should play central in Paris.

Hopefully with Lingard and Martial both fit.
I wouldn't even use him in Paris. We can go with 3 man midfield again with someone like fred taking Pogbas position or even Lingard himself with tahith Chong coming in at RW. No room for passengers.

sweetmgd

City's wingers : Sane, Sterling, Mahrez, B. Silva, and now there are rumors saying they are interested in buying Nicolas Pepe next season

Liverpool' s wingers : Mane, Salah, Shaqiri

And we? Martial, Lingard, Sanchez, Mata. Martial has potential but inconsistent, Lingard is a good tactical players like Park Ji Sung, but not a starting XI, Sanchez is over the peak, and Mata is basically useless. Today match reflect the problem of Man Utd for the past few years, no quality wingers, not depth of attackers. Don't always cry why Man City and Liverpool leading us that much, because we never learn from the past.

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
As likeable as he is, I hope we let him go on a free when his contract is up in the summer & promote Chong instead if it's just for squad-filling. Preferably Chong as a squad-member & a new signing for the right wing.

Mata just limits us offensively because his pace and acceleration is holding him back when trying to dribble past a defender & his inability to stick to a side makes it harder for the defensive fullback.

peanuthead

He's done. He'll occasionally get an assist or something but that's it. Nowadays when I see him warming up I always ask myself why the feck is Mata warming up? He comes on & all he does is just pass to Herrera or our center backs roam through midfield to look like he's doing something productive and that's it. Its about time to promote Chong imo, Ole needs to be ruthless and drop him & Sanchez, they aren't your friends your're their boss, pick players who you think can help the team.

An Irish Red

I like him, he's a really nice guy, but if you want to build a fast, technical, counter-attacking team, which we seemingly want to, then the first step is getting rid of the unsuitable players.

There's plenty of players in our squad that aren't built for that type of football (Lukaku for example) and Mata is one of them unfortunately.

RG 11

The only bad decision Ole has made so far is constantly playing Mata on the right.

And our standards have well and truly dropped considering a lot of posters are happy with the fact that Mata was involved and pointlessly passed the ball around.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Too slow to be a winger, can’t dribble to be ACM, too weak to be CM. Just let him go in the summer.
I'm starting to agree, after being a fan of him as a squad player only. He's only going to get worse now anyway. Unfortunately the team needs so much sorting out. We aren't really in a position to sort out the backup as well.

Bola

The only bad decision Ole has made so far is constantly playing Mata on the right.

And our standards have well and truly dropped considering a lot of posters are happy with the fact that Mata was involved and pointlessly passed the ball around.
Bingo and Bingo

RedDevil@84

If Ole wants to play him at all, it shouldn't be on the right. He sucks at it. Has sucked at it, in all the years he has been here, under different managers.
No point in hanging on to a tried and flopped formula.

Reddy Rederson

He might still be able to do a job for us, but it will never be on that right wing. Never, ever, ever, ever. I have no idea why hes been played there by every united manager to date. We have honestly pissed away this guys best years by playing him out of position again and again.

Foxbatt

He sucks anywhere he plays. Even if he plays in the 10 position there is no way he is going to keep up with our strikers. He will be in the centre circle while our strikers have reached the opposition box and looking for a pass for our number 10 or for him to drag a defender away.

Bola

If Ole wants to play him at all, it shouldn't be on the right. He sucks at it. Has sucked at it, in all the years he has been here, under different managers.
No point in hanging on to a tried and flopped formula.
But what we chances OGS will do exactly the same thing v Chelsea.

It's no excuse that Lingard and Martial are out, there are a host of other options that although are not ideal, they are not practically guaranteed to fail

RedDevil@84

But what we chances OGS will do exactly the same thing v Chelsea.

It's no excuse that Lingard and Martial are out, there are a host of other options that although are not ideal, they are not practically guaranteed to fail
I agree. I think Ole will start Mata on right against Chelsea

Sterling Archer

:lol: jeez I wonder what you clowns were saying when we signed him. Nice guy, but too slow? Incredible that you guys looking for a scapegoat are pretending like that's a new turn of events.

He's a very good player and an excellent option to have on the bench. Now subbing into a match at the half against a PSG asking to be stretched is one thing, coming in to break a deadlock against a midtable team parking the bus is another. We need both types of options.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
In face of injuries, we may not have a choice but to play him and at least when player's declining physically, he usually keeps his on the ball abilities and Mata no matter what is said about him is one of the most talented in that aspect.

True United manager must cope with these type of situations and it'll be just another test for Ole to use Mata wisely.

sweetmgd

:lol: jeez I wonder what you clowns were saying when we signed him. Nice guy, but too slow? Incredible that you guys looking for a scapegoat are pretending like that's a new turn of events.

He's a very good player and an excellent option to have on the bench. Now subbing into a match at the half against a PSG asking to be stretched is one thing, coming in to break a deadlock against a midtable team parking the bus is another. We need both types of options.
Clown? For this season, how many matches are the one you said the opponents parking the bus? I count for you, only 3:2 away loss vs Brighton, 3:2 home win vs Newcastle the second half, 2:0 away win vs Newcastle, and 2:2 home vs Burnley after 80mins. For the 2:0 away vs Newcastle, Mata was substitued by Ole at 63mins without any performance, 3:2 away lose vs Brighton, Mata was even subtitued by Mourinho at half time. So would a player called "need for both types of options" by only suitable for playing three or four matches for the whole season, and that "three or four matches" may even have no performance?

It is always funny when seeing Mata is a good bench player. Vs PSG match is one of the example, can he offer anything from bench? No! But even made the team more worse. And i already not count both Mourinho and Ole even not trust him to play against big teams (under Ole 0 mins play against Arsenal and Tottenham), and high pressing teams from midtable teams (under Ole 0 mins play against Cardiff, Bournemouth, Leicester) because his lack of physical ability. Then what is the point of keeping him? Just to favour the Mata's fans like you? Or because he is a nice guy? If then, we should offer him a PR job instead of a contract of player with such amount of salary (Mata is 6th high salary of the team). We are Man Utd, not charity, our standard of keeping a player should base on his quality, what he can offer to the team, not his past reputation, not his image off the pitch.

Last edited:

sweetmgd

Not only Mata, Ozil from Arsenal, James Rodriguez from Bayern Munchen, they all struggle their play time under their managers of either puting them at right wing or no.10, because nowadays purely no. 10 is outdated. Using purely no.10 means you have to change the formation into 4231, and sacrifice one midfielder to defend. Managers would rather prefer fast, skillful and dribbling players at the front, cause they can handle both counter attack or facing the bus parked by weak teams, not like the Mata's fans say something like he is good at some circumstances, and that "circumstances" maybe only two or three matches a season .

Look at Pep and Klopp, they keep buying fast and skillful players to maintain their philosophy. So i don't think Ole has any problem of using Mata, because we really don't have the position of no.10, and when we need to rotate Lingard to get him a rest, Ole can only either put Mata at right wing, or not play him (0 mins vs Cardiff, Bournemouth, Arsenal, Tottenham, Leicester) by using Lukaku or Sanchez. Ole has already done what he can with the resources he had.

So basically what Mata can offer for Man Utd now is only maintain sufficient numbers of players for the first team, and that's it, you won't expect something that can offer from him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.