5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaFletch

But who was so good in those games that it makes sense to play them ahead of him? Nobody is trying to say he’s perfect for every game. Just that he’s comfortably the best we have for that position and it doesn’t make much sense not to play him.
Which is true enough, but your claim – and the claim of many others – is that Mata should play because he makes the side play better football. You can't hand wave away a significant number of games where Mata singularly fails to do that with 'ah, well, he wasn't the worst player on the pitch' because that undermines your claim that Mata is the difference between us playing good and bad football.

It suggests, rather, that Mata is simply a player that can act as a conduit in an otherwise well functioning unit.

Which is a fair enough argument. I do think Mata is a good player, and I do think that in another set up that suits him better he would be better. I just also think there's a bit of a gulf in class between Mata and the other, more exceptional players that play in his position for our rivals, and that he's probably not quite a good enough player to ever be a starter in teams with title aspirations.

acnumber9

Which is true enough, but your claim – and the claim of many others – is that Mata should play because he makes the side play better football. You can't hand wave away a significant number of games where Mata singularly fails to do that with 'ah, well, he wasn't the worst player on the pitch' because that undermines your claim that Mata is the difference between us playing good and bad football.

It suggests, rather, that Mata is simply a player that can act as a conduit in an otherwise well functioning unit.

Which is a fair enough argument. I do think Mata is a good player, and I do think that in another set up that suits him better he would be better. I just also think there's a bit of a gulf in class between Mata and the other, more exceptional players that play in his position for our rivals, and that he's probably not quite a good enough player to ever be a starter in teams with title aspirations.
Generally speaking we do play better with him in the team though. It doesn’t have to be every game. No player is capable of that. I’d argue that even in games he’s largely quiet that he can still make a difference even if it’s just a free kick on the edge of the box. Ultimately until we have better players it doesn’t make sense to me to drop him in away games for other players who largely aren’t as effective as him.

NinjaFletch

Generally speaking we do play better with him in the team though. It doesn’t have to be every game. No player is capable of that. I’d argue that even in games he’s largely quiet that he can still make a difference even if it’s just a free kick on the edge of the box. Ultimately until we have better players it doesn’t make sense to me to drop him in away games for other players who largely aren’t as effective as him.
No, you're right. It doesn't have to be every game, but it would be nice for it to be more frequent than it has over his United career to date. Certainly, I agree, it makes no sense not to play him at home in games like yesterday, but conversely it would take more than playing pretty well in a walkover against a pretty abject Fulham side to suggest that he's going to start suddenly doing better in the types of games he's always struggled in for United. Especially when we've had three pretty good examples of him struggling to make a difference in games his career at United suggests he will struggle in already this season.

He has, though, to be fair to him, shown himself to be a big game player over his United career. So I would like to see him start the next one.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Really would love to see Ole try to get him in the midfield with Pogba and Herrera. Keep him out of the front 3.

rooneyberbatov

Great run for Pogba's goal. Good to see he still has the ball glued to his shoe. He may slow things a little bit, but his ability on the ball and intelligence make up for his slowness.

Kag

He’s played here for a long time now and not once in a truly attacking team. He was great today and still has a huge part to play for us.

You’ve got halfwits around here that would flog him. Nutters, the lot of them.

ManRed

Poor first half, played much better in the second when he got more space with Huddersfield attacking.

Good play and run for 2nd goal.

el3mel

Not a great game overall but the run for Pogba's first goal was magnificent.

Canagel

I'm torn on Mata. I think he did some brilliant things linking the play together but he also lacked the killer touch you need to play in front three. I'm leaning towards keeping him in there because we play better football with him especially for home games.

PepsiCola

Thought he was exceptional today. Very good performance. Great link up, intelligent moving and brilliant passing.

marktan

He’s played here for a long time now and not once in a truly attacking team. He was great today and still has a huge part to play for us.

I would if we could get someone better in. He's a good player and has his moments, but unfortunately he just lacks that killer instinct in terms of pace and dribbling to play in our front 3. Right now though I'd keep him around as he's a good squad option.

acnumber9

He was my man of the match despite Pogba being very good too. Better than Lingard but the team as a whole benefits from Lingard’s movement.

Kag

I would if we could get someone better in. He's a good player and has his moments, but unfortunately he just lacks that killer instinct in terms of pace and dribbling to play in our front 3. Right now though I'd keep him around as he's a good squad option.
When everybody’s fit he is probably, at best, 5th choice to play in our front three. You’re not getting much better than that anywhere else.

Rajma

I still think his presence does us more harm than good, too crowded and congested in the middle when he starts off the right and his lack of pace really makes us one dimensional.

PepsiCola

Some of you guys watch different games I swear.

Was everywhere today. Linked up phenomenally and made some great passes.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I like him and rate him as a player but I still wouldn't extend his contract.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
It's a pleasure to watch him when he's on form. It would be surprising, sadly, if he ever comes close to being one of the best players in the league again, but he's certainly a very good option to have against the lesser teams in the league.

izec

Dont know why people say he had a great game. He had a great moment, that wasnt a great performance though. Just because he is nice, we dont have to lower the expectations. It was ok, more often frustrating than not though

Fracture90

Think he was good, but don't think we should use him against better teams, teams that press us.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I know I am incredibly biased towards Mata but come on guys he was spraying the ball everywhere and was a constant threat. What did he not do that you guys wanted him to?

Ashley R1+O

I like him but you can see he doesn't really fit. It has been the same theme from the last couple of years. Not bad this morning though, works hard and gives a shift for the shirt and nobody can question his attitude whether good or bad when this is the case.

evil_geko

Some of the comments about Mata in the match thread were ban worthy to be honest.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Kills our counter attacks far too often for my liking. I would like him used to unlock a defence, but when we are ahead and pushing for more goals we would probably need someone that can exploit space better.

Bwuk

Love Mata - shouldn’t be part of the front three though. Move him infield to midfield.

el3mel

This!
I think is time we move him on, his salary could be channeled into something else.
Don't get it. He's fine sitting on the bench and playing a bit part in the team. Never complains, good relationship with his teammate and fans and gives what he can and still has some quality when he plays. He's an amazing squad option to have imo. I'll keep him till he retires, as long as he's like now not a consistent starter.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He was great in the second half. Was buzzing all over the place, playing excellent passes and didn't slow us down at all.

Not sure why anyone would complain to be honest.

Dante

Average bang
I'm rewatching the match at the moment. He was excellent today. I don't understand the lukewarm reaction.

And I don't say that as someone who fawns over the guy with 'hugs' or whatever.

When everybody's on form, I think Mata's sixth choice out of six for the frontline. But when he's playing like this, he should definitely be in contention for a starting place.

mckenzie79

Man of the match for me today,was absolutely brilliant from start to finish,deserved his standing ovation!!!

ForestRGoinUp

He’ll be long gone and back in the Spanish sun resting his lil bones before we win anything of note.

Golden Nugget

Surprised with the comments in this thread. Thought he was great - torn between him and Pogba for the the man of the match. On another day he could have ended with a few assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.