Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

meamth

This is the match. The end of Mata.

He looks terribly slow, like 2 steps slower than last year.

Gary Neville retirement season 2 : Juan Mata

Ace of Spades

He is just so slow and weak, can't get past players and does not have the strength to hold them off either. Just very poor.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I get that you're a big fan but he was far from fine. I think he gave the ball away at nearly every opportunity.
Pass completion 75%. Same as James, despite attempting way more passes, so that's clearly nonsense.

He wasn't brilliant or anything, but to say he was dreadful or anything is just whinging for the sake of it. No one was dreadful today.

DoomSlayer

This issue is probably the only major problem I have with Ole. Giving Mata a 3 year contract and playing him when he is obviously not up to it anymore is frustrating.

I really hope Gomes is given a chance, we need to at least see what he offers in the PL compared to Mata.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Pass completion 75%. Same as James, despite attempting way more passes, so that's clearly nonsense.

He wasn't brilliant or anything, but to say he was dreadful or anything is just whinging for the sake of it. No one was dreadful today.
I thought he was definitely dreadful along with Matic who I like so there's no bias. Everyone else was good. Even McTominay and Young who I criticise a lot.

In possession he does nothing, and out of it he's so slow and ineffective with his pressing. Even Pereira and Lingard - who are both rubbish, too - offer more as they actually contribute to the teams collective pressing.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Unfortunately, Mata is finished at top level. He's now too weak for the Premiership and legs have given up.

Sylar

This is a game he needs to be more than fine in. He wasnt out wide but was behind the striker allowed to float. He was just anonymous more than anything. We defo wasted too many years of him by sticking him out on the right. But if were using him as a number 10, we need him interchanging and linking with the two wide players and thats not happening.

mewnew11

We gave him a two year extension. It's just unbelievable how poorly we judge players.

Gomes is a natural replacement for mata. Given a chance I am certain he will own that place. However oles love child lingard may come back in and add to our frustration.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If Ole wants to play energizing football this lad is a no go. Shame because watching Lingard again will probably cause further dumpster fires.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Still as invisible as the last 4 years.

People complain that our attack is still poor and hardly creates any chances. Look no further than one of the constants.

SoCross

The movement for his shot on goal surprised me so much, where did that come from! Good option to rotate around and to have around the kids but Gomes should displace him this season in an ideal world.

Ace of Spades

I thought he was definitely dreadful along with Matic who I like so there's no bias. Everyone else was good. Even McTominay and Young who I criticise a lot.

In possession he does nothing, and out of it he's so slow and ineffective with his pressing. Even Pereira and Lingard - who are both rubbish, too - offer more as they actually contribute to the teams collective pressing.
This. I like Mata as an individual, and even as a player, but this match just highlighted the problems he has. He is so weak and slow, and even his passing has become very basic and simple. And he is not a very good pressing player either.

Gordon S

If Ole doesn’t think Gomes could offer more than Mata i don’t know what to say. I would prefer Levitt there, nevermind a superior talent like Gomes.

James_42

What does he contribute to the team exactly? Not sure why a player like Gomes can't get any game time, whilst Mata is picked so often and doesn't really add anything to the team.

Mata gets easily bullied off the ball, so I'm not buying this lack of physicality nonsense which apparently only applies to Gomes.

settembrini

It was a typically useless Mata performance and there's only so many more he (and Lingard) should be allowed before someone else is given a chance at the #10 position.

meninred

This player should have been shipped out even as squad player I would prefer youngsters.we already saw him for several years.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's been finished for 2 seasons now.

Maybe even more.

Completely useless player.

Foxbatt

I would rather have Berba even now than Mata. He is the first person that needs to be sold.
What is the purpose of all these movements when everyone including the referee is quicker than him and catch up with his movements.

Tarrou

I think we just need to use him as an impact sub, where I think he can still be useful

Ole wants players to press and he just can't do it

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Almost felt sorry for him today. He shows his excellent technique once in a while, but it's pretty evident that he is physically done at this level. That we gave him a new contract, is truly baffling. Should really be off to a lesser league at this point in his career.

FireballXL5

I think we just need to use him as an impact sub, where I think he can still be useful

Ole wants players to press and he just can't do it
An impact sub like when he came on against Crystal Palace? Nah mate, he's done.

Robbie Boy

He had a very poor game. The things that you used to take so for granted with him like his passing and first touch also seem to have now deserted him which is very worrying. He was obviously never the most physical / paciest of players, but he as always calm and assured on the ball.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He had a very poor game. The things that you used to take so for granted with him like his passing and first touch also seem to have now deserted him which is very worrying. He was obviously never the most physical / paciest of players, but he as always calm and assured on the ball.
Most worrying part is, he is too slow in making decision and also in controlling the ball. Takes too many extra touches to control it and by then the chance to pass the ball is gone. Happened few times vs Leicester and this is something I never though would be a problem for players like Mata.

marktan

Wanted him out for about 4 years now, yet we give him another 3 year contract. The absolute state of the people making decisions at this club. Ole and Ed.

Mata doesn't have the physicality to be competitive in the championship never mind the league. Completely done as a top level player. It always baffles me that we get rid of players like Lukaku, Depay, Di Maria but keep the absolute cross that is Juan Mata.

Ekeke

Used to be that he had many limitations at United, but at least he could control the ball and pass it quite neatly. So far this season he cant do that either

acnumber9

He just doesn’t have it anymore. Not his fault the club wasn’t willing to spend to buy replacements.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Wanted him out for about 4 years now, yet we give him another 3 year contract. The absolute state of the people making decisions at this club. Ole and Ed.

Mata doesn't have the physicality to be competitive in the championship never mind the league. Completely done as a top level player. It always baffles me that we get rid of players like Lukaku, Depay, Di Maria but keep the absolute cross that is Juan Mata.
To be fair, the Championship is more physical, at least to me. But definitely not strong enough to start against a team like West Ham. And after the last three appearances being so dire he definitely looks done.

luke511

How can 99% of fans see how useless this player is, but the whole management team in charge of Man Utd can't? It's an absolute farce.

King Andow

Worst player on the pitch, how many times did he lost possession? Another masterclass by the board extending his contract, he's only stealing Gomes minutes, same with Lingard. Two useless, overpaid players.

Status
Not open for further replies.