Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Mata is one of those players, for a combination of reasons, that is massively revered by a certain demographic within the British footballing world. British football was changing when he came, and you get the impression that he’s the first player many had seen with a first-touch at times. The pure continental #10 was not common in the PL, and he and Chelsea were both initially very good.

The likes of Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Rio Ferdinand and others from that class have been smitten with ‘Wan Mata’ ever since then, and haven’t even realised that the way the speak about him is a great contrast to the Mata we see on the pitch. He is not a ‘creative player’. The general ‘idea’ of him is that he is a creative player, as what he represents SHOULD be. But he has no real final pass, and is a ‘keep possession’ player and a finisher. Ole is clearly part of this Wan Mata club to me, he’s from the same generation. It’s clear to me the reputation Mata would have had amongst the senior pros at the time. That hasn’t been shaken. Giving him a 3 year deal was a terrible decision, he’s fecking rubbish. He can finish, but is less and less likely to get himself into position to use it. He cannot be here next season. Should be put out to pasture in Serie A somewhere, and infinitely less useful to us than Herrera would have been this season.

Andersons Dietician

You know things must be bad when he’s screaming at people to give him the ball. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Mata as angry as he was yesterday. Guessing he was more annoyed at himself but just looked weird.

red4ever 79

You know things must be bad when he’s screaming at people to give him the ball. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Mata as angry as he was yesterday. Guessing he was more annoyed at himself but just looked weird.
Dont worry he will find some energy and he will be writing his blog as we speak saying how deeply sorry he is for us fans, we deserve so much better and we must all stick together.

Castia

When was the last time he actually put a decent run of form together? not good enough anymore and wouldn't be anywhere near a starter at a top club.

Was available on a free this past summer and nobody was even willing to pay him a wage yet we shell out another multi year contract to a player who's past it.

mewnew11

Mata is one of those players, for a combination of reasons, that is massively revered by a certain demographic within the British footballing world. British football was changing when he came, and you get the impression that he’s the first player many had seen with a first-touch at times. The pure continental #10 was not common in the PL, and he and Chelsea were both initially very good.

The likes of Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Rio Ferdinand and others from that class have been smitten with ‘Wan Mata’ ever since then, and haven’t even realised that the way the speak about him is a great contrast to the Mata we see on the pitch. He is not a ‘creative player’. The general ‘idea’ of him is that he is a creative player, as what he represents SHOULD be. But he has no real final pass, and is a ‘keep possession’ player and a finisher. Ole is clearly part of this Wan Mata club to me, he’s from the same generation. It’s clear to me the reputation Mata would have had amongst the senior pros at the time. That hasn’t been shaken. Giving him a 3 year deal was a terrible decision, he’s fecking rubbish. He can finish, but is less and less likely to get himself into position to use it. He cannot be here next season. Should be put out to pasture in Serie A somewhere, and infinitely less useful to us than Herrera would have been this season.
Perfect! Even the commentators keep saying Wan is the creative spark. No he isint he is just a pointless pussy who plays the side pass.

tomaldinho1

Exactly, the buzz word about him finding the 'half space' or looking like the one who could 'create something' is just stupid. He was great for Chelsea as an AM because of his technical ability and, also, he played in team packed with top players that allowed him that extra freedom to create. Worst of all is by playing him in this setup, you add extra pressure on James & Pereira (who is struggling anyway) because his runners generally are not marked and he genuinely can't keep up with them.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

I disagree.

First of, Fabregas was that player who started changing English football, long before Mata. Second, Mata really was exceptional in the final third. Accurate finishing, brilliant through balls and passing.

The problem is he is old now. His reactions are too damn slow. He gets dispossessed easily and doesn't get the time he used to.

Simple case of a player getting old.

sweetmgd

Not only Gary Neville and his class, many fans here use 'one of the best creative player in our team" to describe Mata. However if you look at statistic over the past 3 years, Lingard has the same amount of assists, and even score more goals than him. People still base on his reputation at Chelsea to classify him, instead of looking his current form.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I disagree.

First of, Fabregas was that player who started changing English football, long before Mata. Second, Mata really was exceptional in the final third. Accurate finishing, brilliant through balls and passing.

The problem is he is old now. His reactions are too damn slow. He gets dispossessed easily and doesn't get the time he used to.

Simple case of a player getting old.
I don’t think he has brilliant through balls at all. Nor can he dribble particularly well.

If this were 1990 and he was in Serie A, he’d be the perfect centre forward. He has all the attributes of an old school Italian #9.

Sylar

When was the last time he actually put a decent run of form together? not good enough anymore and wouldn't be anywhere near a starter at a top club.

Was available on a free this past summer and nobody was even willing to pay him a wage yet we shell out another multi year contract to a player who's past it.
Probably around the time of Juanfield. He scored vs Liverpool and City at home. Funnily enough that was him playing on the right of a 433.

Im still thinking about his open goal miss. It was on his left foot as well. 7 appearances and 0 goals and assists.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

I agree with all this (though Neville did say straight away that he's not a United player, to be fair).

I've said for a long time that Juan Mata is one of the most disappointing footballers I've ever seen. Such technical quality but a bit of a coward on the pitch. Not in a typical way either. He should be looking to win us games with his passing or neat play, but all he uses his god given talent for is to recycle the ball. It's an absolute waste of talent.

I've said this before too, but give me or many other people the talent that he has and i bet most people would make more of it. He could have been so much more but he doesn't have that killer instinct or need to make himself the main man like he could have been.

UnitedFan93

One of the most overrated players to ever play in the Prem.

Let's face it, he's living off a few decent seasons at Chelsea. The fact that he's still being labelled a creative player is a complete and utter joke. He's been an absolute failure at United and should be part of the next mass clear out at the club.

He's been in England now for 8 years now, spent that time at Chelsea and United and hasn't got close to the winning the league. He was too slow for the league 5 years ago and yet he has been given a new contract?

Oh and all this charity business? Yes, a great cause, but focus on being a footballer first, charity worker second. He'll have many years in retirement to focus on his charity, but for the time being he needs to start delivering on the pitch.

SambaBoy

A nothing player. All the commentators/pundits and even fans always talk about having Mata starting for his creativity but yet he creates virtually nothing. No idea why he's still here and hasn't been good for a few years now.

Fracture90

Honestly one of the reasons as to why we are in the position we're in, is because we're more focused on the things outside of football pitch and Mata is the epitome of that problem, the only reason we extended him is because he's a darling off the pitch.

Honestly he shouldn't even be on the bench unless it's some useless cup game.

Kostov

Once again every men and his dog knew that starting Mata away at West Ham was a fecking bad idea, yet Ole starts him and the guy was run over and we effectively played with 10 men. On top of that he lasted 80 minutes, why in the name of Satan would you sabotage yourself like that?

Foxbatt

Berbatov sitting in a deck chair would still playing better football than Mata now.

Ace of Spades

A coward, never even attempts a dangerous pass. Players are making moves but are constantly ignored, no wonder they rarely run behind players. If the midfielders keep ignoring and hesitating when they make runs, it must be infuriating to play with shit cowards like this.

DoomSlayer

What a pointless player he has become. A nothing guy on the pitch.
I never liked him as a player, even at Chelsea. Very nice person but one of the worst transfers in our history. No quality and no leadership from him, he is just another body on the field, like many of our current players.

mewnew11

Cowaed coward coward.

The two number 10s who ole plays in the position Mata and lingard are absolute cowards. Hiding and passing sideways.

I can't believe we gave him a 2 year extension. Feck me.

Based Adnan

Completely and utterly finished as a footballer. Was obvious at the end of 17/18 but we decided not only to keep him on but then renew for 2+1 years. One of many fecking stupid decisions at this club.

Seeing him in the team is like getting rainwater inside your shoes.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Has he scored or assisted more than 3 goals in last 2 years?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Looking forward to the one good thing a year he does which prompts a 'and that's why Mata needs to play!' post.

An utter nothing player.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Given the rest of the midfield of Fred and Matic, he was a major improvement in that he didn't lose the bal every time he got it. Quite useless going forward though.

sweetmgd

People labelled him as an "experienced and one of our creative player" when he renewed contract. So until now, what has his "experience" offered to our team?

Roboc7

It was blatantly obvious he was done and should never have been given a new contract yet somehow he got a two year deal.

He looks even worse as a 10 now and have no idea why we are persisting with a formation that relies on him or Lingard when both are shit.

Devil may care

That 2 year contract was surely for him, as a senior player, to boss games like the one tonight, but he offers next to nothing on or off the ball these days.

Eddy_JukeZ

Pointless player.

It was stupid.

STUPID to give him a contract extension when he's been finished for years now.

We've Won It All

Has to come deep because he has no athleticism to create space for himself against a team sitting back. What good is he 50 yards from goal? Frankly, his lack of athleticism prevents him from doing anything near the goal, because defenders just get so tight to him due to him being no threat to run beyond them.

I cannot believe we re-signed him. Imagine earning that much money for doing as little as he does.

Foxbatt

His coming deep creates more problems for us too. He doesn't ever drag an opposing player when he comes deep to our defense line. Then all he does is make the same square pass any of the CBs who had the ball could or would have done.
What makes me really angry is that he demands the ball from players who are in a better position or space and they give it to him. Why should they give it to him when he does feck all with it?

HowieC

Has to come deep because he has no athleticism to create space for himself against a team sitting back. What good is he 50 yards from goal? Frankly, his lack of athleticism prevents him from doing anything near the goal, because defenders just get so tight to him due to him being no threat to run beyond them.

I cannot believe we re-signed him. Imagine earning that much money for doing as little as he does.
Precisely. Without having any acceleration he can’t burst into space to receive the ball , nor dribble away when he has the ball.

This means he has to pick the ball up deep where he is ineffective.

Also he is weak and unable to shield the ball, meaning he has to get rid of the ball quickly.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Genuinely can't remember the last time this guy had a great game for us. Completely anonymous every time he has played recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.